E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Do any of you hear an odd whistle noise when pushing the button to Park the car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 02:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 E550.. Gone but never forgotton - E63 AMG..
Do any of you hear an odd whistle noise when pushing the button to Park the car

Ive finally gotten used to the column shifter but when ever i push the park button with my foot on the brake, it just sounds odd,almost like a whistle sound. its been like this from day 1, its not an issue, i dont believe but there would be a different sound when parking my previous benz (shifter in center console).. With the shifter in the center console, the car would pretty much glide into park.. just feels funny. Any comments, appreciated. Sometimes i feel i just cant get used to the shifter being on the wheel.

Few weeks ago,driving to AC, doing about 85 in cruise control, i accidentally tapped the shifter up,thinking it was the cruise control!!! the went into neutral while doing 85, for a second i didnt even realize what the hell was going on, i hit the gas and watched the RPM jump to 4,5! then threw the baby back to D by tapping the shifter down.. Crazy
Old 06-13-2010, 08:59 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
I dunno if it's a whistle sound (forgetting), but mine is very loud, like a "click" when I go from and into Park. Kind of weird, my 211 was utterly quiet in that sense.

I'm still getting used to the Shifter, I kinda miss the aluminum sport knob on my 211. The 212's approach does have an airier vibe, but I dunno how I feel about the shifter just yet. Also, I always get afraid that I'll accidentally hit it into Park, or shift it while driving, etc. Also, now when I get in my DD, I reach for the damn column-stalk.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:06 AM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
C63s ED1 Coupe
I hear the whistle sound on my dad's S550
Old 06-13-2010, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E350
I hear the whistle sound from my 350 and also I had a 350 rental last month in CA and has the same whistle too...
Old 06-13-2010, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
9 sec evo ix se, 2010 e350(wifeys)
hmm, i'll have to pay more attention the next time i put it in park. But if i recall correctly i just feel the car shift to park no whistling noises.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
Originally Posted by K-A
I dunno if it's a whistle sound (forgetting), but mine is very loud, like a "click" when I go from and into Park. Kind of weird, my 211 was utterly quiet in that sense.

I'm still getting used to the Shifter, I kinda miss the aluminum sport knob on my 211. The 212's approach does have an airier vibe, but I dunno how I feel about the shifter just yet. Also, I always get afraid that I'll accidentally hit it into Park, or shift it while driving, etc. Also, now when I get in my DD, I reach for the damn column-stalk.

I traded a Bimmer on my E350. The Bimmer wiper control arm is where the MB shifter is. I accidendently pushed the Park button thinking it was the washer while travelling at hwy speed. Nothing happened. I guess it has safeguards built in. I hated the shifter at first but now that I'm used to it, I 've come to like it. It's nice to put the car in gear with your little finger while having both hands are on the steering wheel plus the convenience of the cup holders where the shifter used to be.

Last edited by petee1997; 06-13-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:23 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by Herbal_Incense
hmm, i'll have to pay more attention the next time i put it in park. But if i recall correctly i just feel the car shift to park no whistling noises.
If you have the window down or the door open, just click it back and forth between Park and Gear, if it's anything like our cars, you'll definitely hear it.

Originally Posted by petee1997
I traded a Bimmer on my E350. The Bimmer wiper control arm is where the MB shifter is. I accidendently pushed the Park button thinking it was the washer while travelling at hwy speed. Nothing happened. I guess it has safeguards built in. I hated the shifter at first but now that I'm used to it, I 've come to like it. It's nice to put the car in gear with your little finger while having both hands on the steering wheel plus the convenience of the cup holders where the shifter uused to be.
Ah, good to know, I was really hoping that'd be the case. I'm still wondering it I like. It does give a "Luxurious" feel somehow, just simply clicking, but I do like a nice shifter.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
What you are hearing is the solinoid that moves the trans into what ever gear you are selecting. I am used to it as I had the same shifter in my 06 ML500 and again in my 10 ML550 also. In fact in the 06 it was much louder. On the W211s there was no electronic shifter just the handle moving the trans into gear. This is perfectly normal. The time to be concerned is if you do not hear anything and it does not shift. Never had that happen. As so far as going into neutral while driving that was your own doing, same as if you had moved the older manual shifter from D to N. I have gotten used to the new type shifters and actualy like them at this point but that was not the case when I had my first one in 06. Took some becoming accustomed to.