E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Anyway to just order blind spot?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Q7
Anyway to just order blind spot?

I have that lane departure thing on my Q7 and HATE it. And think adaptive cruise on such a fun car to drive is CRAZY.....but I like the blind spot help.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
E350 4matic
Originally Posted by Zinny
I have that lane departure thing on my Q7 and HATE it. And think adaptive cruise on such a fun car to drive is CRAZY.....but I like the blind spot help.
I'm pretty sure they only come together in the driver's assistance package, which includes the two other items you don't want. I don't have the package but maybe someone who does could tell you if there is a way to turn off the lane assist feature.

As for the cruise control, I don't see what makes this crazy. I sure would like to have my cruise control adapt to the speed of traffic instead of constantly having to adjust it manually.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 598 Likes on 409 Posts
2024 AMG EQE SUV , 2021 E63S Wagon - gone, 2018 E63S Sedan - gone
Originally Posted by reckrab
I'm pretty sure they only come together in the driver's assistance package, which includes the two other items you don't want. I don't have the package but maybe someone who does could tell you if there is a way to turn off the lane assist feature.

As for the cruise control, I don't see what makes this crazy. I sure would like to have my cruise control adapt to the speed of traffic instead of constantly having to adjust it manually.
The package includes Pre-Safe braking which operates w/o the cruise control being engaged. You can turn off all of the features individually.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:37 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,412 Likes on 2,854 Posts
2012 CLS63
sorry but I think that blind spot assist business just makes people lazier.....I mean come on! are you driving with a neck brace on? then you should probably NOT be driving.....
how hard is it to turn your head 45 to 60 degrees to look to the side?
Old 10-25-2010, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by hyperion667
sorry but I think that blind spot assist business just makes people lazier.....I mean come on! are you driving with a neck brace on? then you should probably NOT be driving.....
Well, unless your head is on a swivel, turning that amount will give you a great view of the B-pillar. Check it out when you get your new ride.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 158 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by HBerman
Well, unless your head is on a swivel, turning that amount will give you a great view of the B-pillar. Check it out when you get your new ride.
Wow I have always wondered why there are so many bad drivers around. I guess people are too lazy to check their blind spot. I am glad that car companies are coming up with these technologies to make bad drivers a little safer for the rest of us.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 206 Likes on 132 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
Blind spot means just that. Blind spot spot and lane departure assist are great options. It's just that extra security we need with all the distractions that we have while driving.
It was inevitable that drivers would require attention assist, blind spot and lane departure,parking assist, just to keep us on the road. With options like nav, bluetooth,media interface,150 channel Sat radio etc.how is a driver expected to drive? We now need crap to counteract the other crap. Come to think of it, why am I not just taking the bus?
Old 10-25-2010, 10:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
The blind spot on this car is the worst I've experienced. I've mentioned in another thread that I could not see a motorcycle in my blindspot EVEN WHEN I WAS LOOKING for something that blindspot assist told me was there. I've had similar experiences with cars changing lanes while in my blind spot (why do people do that?).

For those of us who drive packed, congested highways every day with cars randomly and suddenly changing lanes, speeding up, and braking, things like blindspot assist are wonderful in a car that has such a huge blindspot. I've driven lots of cars, and I'd say I missed maybe one or two cars in my blindspot in an average month or longer (judging by the honks I got). In this car, I expect to miss one or two per day, but I now I get warning beeps instead of honks. I am safer, not lazier.

When you get your new car, come up north a while and drive around during rush hour. You'll see.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ttoE550
The blind spot on this car is the worst I've experienced. I've mentioned in another thread that I could not see a motorcycle in my blindspot EVEN WHEN I WAS LOOKING for something that blindspot assist told me was there. I've had similar experiences with cars changing lanes while in my blind spot (why do people do that?).

For those of us who drive packed, congested highways every day with cars randomly and suddenly changing lanes, speeding up, and braking, things like blindspot assist are wonderful in a car that has such a huge blindspot. I've driven lots of cars, and I'd say I missed maybe one or two cars in my blindspot in an average month or longer (judging by the honks I got). In this car, I expect to miss one or two per day, but I now I get warning beeps instead of honks. I am safer, not lazier.

When you get your new car, come up north a while and drive around during rush hour. You'll see.
100% agree! The number of distracted drivers on the road in NC is amazing. No signally, talking on their cell phone, etc.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:54 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
you people gimme a break, it isn't like I have not been in this car......and frankly the choices other people make while driving have got nothing to do with me okay? not only that but my immaculate driving record speaks for itself....but I know you people don't have copies of that.....
I also do not choose to intubate myself with the problems and concerns of going out during rush hour or whatever you want to call it.....it is a pleasure for me to NOT have to be defined and confined by the rules of everyday society......take that however you want it.........

plan ahead.......think ahead.....drive defensively and DON'T talk on the phone, fiddle with the stupid 'whatever' else is distracting you people......
and I will agree with Berman about the number of distracted driver here in NC, but let me assure you I am not one of them......quite the opposite in fact......
the blind spot assist is simply another dollar squeezer if you ask me...........perhaps there are some inept people out there that need it, feel better with it and so on........

but you know.....these are just my OPINIONS huh?

thanx everyone for the constructive comments.........and I mean no harm, and yeah........I will see when I get my car......like I saw when I test drove several of them....it was weeks and weeks ago.....but I do have a pretty good memory
Old 10-25-2010, 04:35 PM

2015 GL450
@hyperion: Do you think people like to called "inept" and "lazy" for choosing an option you did not get? It's an option, and some people like it but that does not make them lazy or inept.

I am on record for saying that I think nightview assist is a waste of money (and a big driving distraction to boot, given its placement). But I will be polite and not insult or criticize you for choosing it.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ttoE550
@hyperion: Do you think people like to called "inept" and "lazy" for choosing an option you did not get? It's an option, and some people like it but that does not make them lazy or inept.

I am on record for saying that I think nightview assist is a waste of money (and a big driving distraction to boot, given its placement). But I will be polite and not insult or criticize you for choosing it.
The dealer told me that the Nightview option was a real waste of money. The Active Driver Assist included anticipatory brake application based on the closing speed of the car ahead of you. BTW, I have been driving for 47 years w/o a single accident. That said, I've seen some really stupid driver actions and have had cars stop short ahead of me with no brake lights. Nobody is perfect. All of these systems are designed to increase the probability of avoiding an accident, that's all.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:13 PM

2015 GL450
Originally Posted by HBerman
The dealer told me that the Nightview option was a real waste of money. The Active Driver Assist included anticipatory brake application based on the closing speed of the car ahead of you. BTW, I have been driving for 47 years w/o a single accident. That said, I've seen some really stupid driver actions and have had cars stop short ahead of me with no brake lights. Nobody is perfect. All of these systems are designed to increase the probability of avoiding an accident, that's all.
I agree. I didn't want to get into a d*ck comparison with the guy, but I could've probably bought a couple of these cars paying for driver training/evaluation at Skip Barber Racing. Won two of their races too. My only accident in 26 years of driving was on the racetrack. And those cars don't have brake lights!
Old 10-25-2010, 05:16 PM

'11 E550 4MATIC, '07 Suzuki SV1000S
Driver Assitance Package

I purposely special ordered my car without the package. Not because I don't think it is useful, mainly because I didn't want the radar emitters/ sensors messing with my radar detector - which I find much more useful.
Would've been nice if they just had is operate on a different frequency band than what radar detectors determine to be police band.

I'm all for the safety features, but at what point does it become too much reliance...I don't really know, but the opportunity is there.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:51 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
who is comparing dicks man? LOL..........I just think that this option is a dumb option....
and you folks feel free to say whatever you feel okay......you have permission.....

I do however see where you're coming from when you site my words like inept and lazy....
I am simply calling it like I see it.........that's it dudes......it isn't personal....
and another thing: nightvision might be a waste, sure......but I don't have nightvision....but I do have the ability to 'swivel' my head to see out of the bloody window.........LOL.........
...lighten the hell up.......
Old 10-25-2010, 07:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
E350 4matic
and frankly the choices other people make while driving have got nothing to do with me okay?
Seriously? You're sharing the road with these people and driving 2 ton battering rams. You'd best be concerned with the choices other drivers are making.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:44 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by reckrab
Seriously? You're sharing the road with these people and driving 2 ton battering rams. You'd best be concerned with the choices other drivers are making.

I am referring to the negligence we all see behind the wheel everyday.....if someone does happen to hit me someday, it won't be on my conscience....and it won't be on my repair bill either......

negligent driving: anything besides paying attention to the road.....

yes: it is that black and white

we need cup holders, sun glass holders, telephones, radar detectors, (for those that simply REFUSE to drive the speed limit), and now a whole slew
of other things I don't need to tell you about....
I think so many people are sensitive to this because they are the ones out there doing these stupid things........and feel stupid for doing it when they actually stop and think about it....or are challenged verbally......

time will tell eh?

it's funny: you can be really friendly and polite here on this board: then when you exert a clashing opinion.....the defenders appear.....and everyone want to criticize.....

I am trying to explain and defend myself.....which is more than I can say for a few here that always feel the need to slam the gavel and try to consume all with their sanctimonious ways of thinking.....

everyone hates a know it all
Old 10-25-2010, 08:29 PM

Q7
I am replacing grill with a star grill so I cannot get assistance options.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:58 PM

2015 GL450
it's funny: you can be really friendly and polite here on this board: then when you exert a clashing opinion.....the defenders appear.....and everyone want to criticize.....
I do however see where you're coming from when you site my words like inept and lazy....
Speaking for myself, I do not object to your opinion regarding blind spot assist. By voicing your opinion, you give others the opportunity to express their opinions, helping others to decide for themselves whether the option is valuable for them personally. But are you really being "friendly and polite" by being critical of those who got it?

I have nightview assist. From my experience, I am confident you will not have the night vision you are hoping to have. Yes, I am critical of the option, but I have not crossed the line into being critical of you for getting it. In fact, I hope you like it.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Does nightview assist help spotting some road imperfection as potholes, bumps. dips, or it is mostly on tall objects appearing on your way?
Old 10-25-2010, 10:34 PM

2015 GL450
Originally Posted by Dema
Does nightview assist help spotting some road imperfection as potholes, bumps. dips, or it is mostly on tall objects appearing on your way?
To be honest, I haven't paid attention to that. I'll try to do so in the near future. I think perhaps I misspoke a little by saying it does not offer nightvision, for it DOES do a good job of illuminating the road and separating warm objects (people, animals, cars, lights, etc.) from nonwarm ones. My guess then is that the answer to your question is probably yes.

The problem is that the image appears in the comand screen, and that is a bad location for the driver. To take advantage of it, you need to watch it, but that is akin to driving with a fixed neck with blinders blocking your peripheral vision. And if you're are just glancing at it, well then you are just playing the odds that you'll see something important during a glance. And really glancing is hard because (for me anyway) the eyes need just a bit to orient themselves to what they see on the screen if you are looking for detail.

Now I live near a national forest (lots and lots and lots of deer), and when my wife is in the car I turn it on and ask her to watch for deer. Would I pay $1700 (or whatever) for this? Nah.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Originally Posted by Zinny
Contact MBUSA and see if they will let you order code 22P, which includes codes 234 and 476. 234 is the passive blind spot assist, which does not require DISTRONIC PLUS. 476 is passive lane keeping assist which can be disabled, however, the two must be ordered together.

In Canada this package is $800, so pricing from MBUSA should be similar (but subject to a special order fee, if they're willing to do it).
Old 10-26-2010, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 206 Likes on 132 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
Originally Posted by YYZ-E55
Contact MBUSA and see if they will let you order code 22P, which includes codes 234 and 476. 234 is the passive blind spot assist, which does not require DISTRONIC PLUS. 476 is passive lane keeping assist which can be disabled, however, the two must be ordered together.

In Canada this package is $800, so pricing from MBUSA should be similar (but subject to a special order fee, if they're willing to do it).
That's what I have in my car and for the money it's hard to pass on it.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by YYZ-E55

The special order fee is $750. You might as well take the entire package for $2900 and just not use the unwanted features.