some questions on the E

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by dariusf
I see the steering column move as move backward in design. Yes I totally agree that the Jaguar XF design is the way to go. It does feel a bit strange at first but definite shift I think in a good direction. its an innovation rather then a move back in time.

The way the control wheel slides up when you start the XF adds to the experience. Same goes for the vent designs flipping over and being an integral part of and flowing with the dashboard where in the new E the vents stand out as a main design future that does not look very well designed at all to me.

If they wanted to make the E feel more luxury/limo like then that's fine with me. But then why offer a sport package version while keeping the inside the same as the luxury version? They should have used the seats and the shifter design from the new E coupe in the sport version. If one wants the bigger Mercedes that's still 4 doors and is sporty, one has to go with the CLS. But the kicker is that the 2011 CLS, being a sport sedan ALSO has the shifter now moved in to the steering column
What about the Aston Martin DB9? That car uses buttons on the dash to select gears. Does it make the car any less sporty?
Old 11-14-2010, 07:54 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,405 Likes on 2,848 Posts
2012 CLS63
the new Jaguars are NOT jaguars to me......sure they have big motors, monster braking system, but they are not the same cat they used to be, Ian really screwed up the design IMO.....
Old 11-14-2010, 08:45 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Jags have definitely changed, but they really needed to. Not that there's anything wrong with old Jags, but the company just stayed tooo stagnant for tooo long. I like Company's that have the "Porsche" approach, i.e: Careful and subtle evolutions after extended periods of time.... When done right, it creates a branding and "look" that is unmistakable, timeless, and coveted (proof is in the Porsche). However, I think that Jags stayed stuck on the wrong models perhaps, as those sexy Cats of yonder seemed to get phased out more and more. Then you had the major "Fordization" which found quality problems in terms of refinement/luxury, etc (Type X is an embarrassment to the brand), although Ford got their technical "build quality" on track (relatively speaking, at least), with reliability and such.

I don't think Ian C. is a flawless designer, but he seems to be on somewhat of a roll so far (all things considered).

I'm curious to see where Jag goes. I like that they're saying they want to go back to being "exclusive, sexy cars", and cut out the mass-produced stuff. I wish M-B and/or BMW would stop whoring themselves out so much, but oh well. Major issue with Jags future, is how "Tata" will do with them. That's enough to keep me away for now.

My .02.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2023 CLA 250, 2003 CLK320
Originally Posted by pmb600
What about the Aston Martin DB9? That car uses buttons on the dash to select gears. Does it make the car any less sporty?
Its not as much as moving away from center console style shifters that bothers me, like I mentioned I like the Jag XF approx, its the move back to the steering column that I associate with the old car design that bothers me.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
Originally Posted by hyperion667
the new Jaguars are NOT jaguars to me......sure they have big motors, monster braking system, but they are not the same cat they used to be, Ian really screwed up the design IMO.....
Different strokes as they say. IMO the XJ and XF are beautiful cars - much sexier than anything MB or BMW are building. Callum's work here has been brilliant.

Ford brought better quality control and hopefully Tata will bring financial strength - retaining the British luxury and independence.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2023 CLA 250, 2003 CLK320
Originally Posted by BenzE350
Different strokes as they say. IMO the XJ and XF are beautiful cars - much sexier than anything MB or BMW are building. Callum's work here has been brilliant.

Ford brought better quality control and hopefully Tata will bring financial strength - retaining the British luxury and independence.
totally agree, my fathers 2008 S is a good looking car but the interior feels a bit dated to me. When we test drove the new 2010 XF, I loved the look and feel of the car. far more safisticated then the E or 5 series. The CLS felt more fluent wrap around design but I definitly liked both and they spoke luxury to me. the only reason we did not buy the XJ was my wife not liking the large front grill and the car would be for her.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:20 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

XF was really my favorite car in its class for a while, but it has aged blandly to me. The design seems to have lost some cunning and sharp qualities I thought it had before. It might lie in the relative "bloatedness", which always ends up correlating to a "generic" type of look to me, and those wide-open headlights. I believe a face-lift is coming up, and I have no doubts the headlights at least will get some tweaking.

I personally think the W212 and F10 designs are superior designs, but all are great in their own ways, it really depends on who's approach you prefer. Good thing is everyone is doing what they've historically done best: Jag building sexy cars with feminine beauty qualities, Benz building sharp, prestigious and confident cars, and BMW building smooth, sporty and slick cars (albeit still too "fat"/bloated, but better than the gen 1 Bangle designs).

Regarding Jag, I hope that Tata does well with them, as their designs deserve to get more road-time. I'd love to see more XF's on the road, taking away sales from M-B and BMW, as it makes for nice variety.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:30 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,405 Likes on 2,848 Posts
2012 CLS63
it was really the current design that swayed me away from Jaguar, it would have been my first choice, but as I wanted something 2011, I really couldn't see myself in the new xj.......I'd love to have a sunday driver someday though, an older one......
something about the Benz just drew me in......I didn't know anyone with one, I had never driven one, had no experience with them, it kind of just seemed like a perfect choice for me. Although I still admire Jaguar's a great deal, the recent change has left me longing for the xj's from just a couple of years ago.....
...but I'm definitely a MB guy now I think.....
Old 11-14-2010, 10:30 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by hyperion667
it was really the current design that swayed me away from Jaguar, it would have been my first choice, but as I wanted something 2011, I really couldn't see myself in the new xj.......I'd love to have a sunday driver someday though, an older one......
something about the Benz just drew me in......I didn't know anyone with one, I had never driven one, had no experience with them, it kind of just seemed like a perfect choice for me. Although I still admire Jaguar's a great deal, the recent change has left me longing for the xj's from just a couple of years ago.....
...but I'm definitely a MB guy now I think.....
Once you go M-B, there's no turning back.

Believe me, I know this very well.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
Originally Posted by K-A
Once you go M-B, there's no turning back.
Probably true for a lot of folks. Personally I think there are too many great choices in this segment to keep coming back to the same marque.

After driving BMW's for several years I decided to try the new MB E350. After 2 years I might look at the newly redesigned Audi A6, improved 535, updated Jag, etc.

IMO life is too short to keep driving the same line of cars - even very good ones.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:18 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

True. However, it's a running saying (at least within "my circle"), that everyone who gets a good Benz, will always want to have at least one.

It all just depends on the person. To me, as much as I kicked and screamed toward the W212, I still ended up with one. I think that it's just something in my blood, like a family effect.

I wouldn't want to own 2 M-B's though. Essentially, I'd like to have my M-B as one car, and have another revolving-brand car on the side, perfect scenario for me (or revolving "cars" even better).

Certainly if M-B dropped the ball enough that I genuinely didn't like their product/s, I wouldn't just buy one for the sake of it, or for the name, that wasn't what I was saying.