E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

What is this sign on my dashboard?? (2011 new straight DRL LED photos inside)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 02:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E300 Avantgarde
Talking What is this sign on my dashboard?? (2011 new straight DRL LED photos inside)

Hello all!

This is my first post on this board! Sorry if I made some mistakes...
Cant believe how helpful this board is to a new E class owner like myself. cheers!!

now about the question....

I have this "P" sign on my driver's display (NOT the parking indicator. It is the one on the left - see picture).
When Im driving, sometimes it comes out...sometimes not. I still cant figure out what it is trying to tell me. Anybody can enlighten me?

In the meantime, I post some pictures as my introduction to this board...i know..this thread is without PICS....
**i notice some people are asking about the pictures for the new straight DRL LED. so here you go!.

E300 Avantgarde (so called sport package in here)
Attached Thumbnails What is this sign on my dashboard?? (2011 new straight DRL LED photos inside)-p1000234.jpg   What is this sign on my dashboard?? (2011 new straight DRL LED photos inside)-p1000221.jpg   What is this sign on my dashboard?? (2011 new straight DRL LED photos inside)-p1000222.jpg   What is this sign on my dashboard?? (2011 new straight DRL LED photos inside)-p1000224web.jpg   What is this sign on my dashboard?? (2011 new straight DRL LED photos inside)-p1000226web.jpg  

What is this sign on my dashboard?? (2011 new straight DRL LED photos inside)-p1000231.jpg  
Old 02-09-2011, 02:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 E550 Sport Sedan Blk/Blk
I think that is the Park Assist "P"
Old 02-09-2011, 03:21 AM

2011 E300 Avantgarde
Originally Posted by DNAPoPo
I think that is the Park Assist "P"
Thanks for your reply DNAPoPo!.

about the "P" sign...that what was came to my mind before i posted the question. Until I read the manual and figure out that in my country, E class is not equipped with park assist. From the picture in the manual, Park Assist shows as "P" in the middle with arrow indicating left or right. The "P" in question shows intermittently (ON/OFF) when I am driving without showing left or right arrow..and it is located on the left side of the screen.

any other ideas?

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2011, 03:55 AM
ipp

W166 ML350 BT
It is Park Assist. Since you have Parktronic (can see from the pictures) you also have Park Assist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAaYpqPUsFw
Old 02-09-2011, 04:26 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Great looking unique front end!

MBUSA make me SO mad at how little creativity and aesthetic options they supply us with in the W212 (wasn't the case with earlier cars). They just want everyone to drive identical looking aggressive AMG Packaged E-Classes, regardless of how much it diminishes the value of such a look, just as long as they maximize their profits and sales.

In the EU, you guys get this Avantgarde Luxury/Sport hybrid, that we don't (Luxury styling, with Sport 3-Slat grill, hooded gauges, etc.), and it would be so nice if we did.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:12 AM

2011 E300 Avantgarde
Originally Posted by K-A

MBUSA make me SO mad at how little creativity and aesthetic options they supply us with in the W212 (wasn't the case with earlier cars). They just want everyone to drive identical looking aggressive AMG Packaged E-Classes, regardless of how much it diminishes the value of such a look, just as long as they maximize their profits and sales.

In the EU, you guys get this Avantgarde Luxury/Sport hybrid, that we don't (Luxury styling, with Sport 3-Slat grill, hooded gauges, etc.), and it would be so nice if we did.
hey KA! thanks for the kind words!. Actually I am located in SouthEast Asia region. I guess we have the same offerings with the EU.

In Asia, you can choose between Avantgarde or Luxury line.

Avantgarde has more equipments and amenities for the interior (pano roof for the E300, rear windows curtain, massage seats, black ash wood trim, universal audio adapter (USB, AUX, Ipod) and most importantly...you can choose the color of your leather). As for the exterior (3 slats grill, sportier lower front fascia, Xenon headlights).

We also have the third package...called AMG package. It comes with the AMG body kit just like US sport package version. It is a lot more expensive here (about 5-6K USD more)and a lot of people doesn't find it worth the money. If we want to..we can retrofit the AMG kit..it is a lot cheaper. (labor is cheap here )

Personally, I like the US offerings better..(you guys get AMG kit for FREE!!). I used to live in US back then..arghh I miss sipping a cup of hot coffee while drenching in the rain...Seattle..
Old 02-09-2011, 05:58 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Nice! Congrats man, and enjoy it!

Yeah, I'm just spoiled. I wish they still charged a premium for the AMG Pack here (not $6K though, hehe ), so we'd have an "enthusiasts" package that some of us can opt for (rare aesthetic look that would stand out amongst the pack), like how it always was before with M-B (and still is for many models).

The AMG Package is so cool looking, and has so much character, it's just kind of funny seeing every other soccer mom/granny/upright businessman with it, kind of ruins the effect of it. I imagine that most of them could or would do without the extra aggressive look anyway.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:11 AM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
2021 GLE53 AMG SUV
The P means your steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car

I saw those straight LEDs in a lux E when I picked up my sport and didn't really like it at that time. With these pics, it's growing on me. Looks great.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:34 AM

2010 E350
Originally Posted by mlist84
Hello all!

This is my first post on this board! Sorry if I made some mistakes...
Cant believe how helpful this board is to a new E class owner like myself. cheers!!

now about the question....

I have this "P" sign on my driver's display (NOT the parking indicator. It is the one on the left - see picture).
When Im driving, sometimes it comes out...sometimes not. I still cant figure out what it is trying to tell me. Anybody can enlighten me?

In the meantime, I post some pictures as my introduction to this board...i know..this thread is without PICS....
**i notice some people are asking about the pictures for the new straight DRL LED. so here you go!.

E300 Avantgarde (so called sport package in here)

2nd and 4th pics look great!
Old 02-09-2011, 11:55 AM

2011 E300 Avantgarde
Originally Posted by mikephotos
The P means your steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car

I saw those straight LEDs in a lux E when I picked up my sport and didn't really like it at that time. With these pics, it's growing on me. Looks great.
Originally Posted by ash_cpe
2nd and 4th pics look great!
thanks guys! The first time i saw the straight LED..i didnt like it either. I though the hockey stick looks better..but now I like the straight one better because it looks more streamlined and modern.

The hockey stick still looks great on the AMG-kit sport package though...i think it follows the AMG body kit line perfectly. But for the non AMG bodykit...the straight LED fits better i think.

As for my "P" sign problem....I am still figuring out what it is trying to tell me. Some members point out that it is park assist..which is make sense..but what it is trying to tell me?? it intermittently turns on/off while im driving.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:22 PM

'13 MB GL350 BLUETEC, '10 MB E63 AMG, '95 MB S600, '84 MB 380 SEL
As for my "P" sign problem....I am still figuring out what it is trying to tell me. Some members point out that it is park assist..which is make sense..but what it is trying to tell me?? it intermittently turns on/off while im driving. [/QUOTE]

The "P" stands for Park Assist (German Translation: Parkführung)

Below a text from the German Mercedes-Benz site. It works with Ultra Sound Sensors, and assists the driver to safely park. So when you drive (up to 35 km/h the system senses where you have a parking spot available that would be big enough to have your car fit. That is most likely why you have the "P" in the display come on and off randomly at slow speeds. It's trying to tell you where you have parking available.

I think that is the answer to your question. Would make sense to me anyway.

Die auf Wunsch erhältliche PARKTRONIC inkl. Parkführung leistet einen wichtigen Beitrag zum Entlastungskomfort. Das auf Basis der Ultraschalltechnik arbeitende System unterstützt den Fahrer beim sicheren Einparken: Zur Seite gerichtete Sensoren am vorderen Stoßfänger erfassen beim Vorbeifahren (bis maximal 35 km/h) die Länge einer Parklücke und zeigen im Cockpit-Display an, ob der Platz zum Einparken ausreicht.
Hierzu muss die Lücke mindestens 1,3 m länger sein als die Limousine.

Nachdem der Rückwärtsgang eingelegt ist, erscheinen auf dem Display im Kombi-Instrument Hinweise für das komfortable Einparken.Das bewährte Mercedes-Benz System PARKTRONIC, das beim Einparken den Abstand zu einem Hindernis oder einem anderen Fahrzeug durch optische und akustische Signale anzeigt, ist bei dieser Parkführung ebenfalls in Aktion.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
Originally Posted by Joyride
So when you drive (up to 35 km/h the system senses where you have a parking spot available that would be big enough to have your car fit. That is most likely why you have the "P" in the display come on and off randomly at slow speeds. It's trying to tell you where you have parking available.
I'll have to check to be 100% sure, but I think the P comes on at low speeds indicating that Parktronic is operational, and then the P goes away above some threshold (35 km/h?) indicating it is not operational. It assumes you are not trying to park the car at, say, 120 km/h (that sounds fast to me, but I'm American, what do I know about km/h?).

I describe how Parking Assist works in post#12 at

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-guidance.html

It shows parking spaces with arrows, not the P.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:53 PM

2011 E300 Avantgarde
Originally Posted by ttoE550
I'll have to check to be 100% sure, but I think the P comes on at low speeds indicating that Parktronic is operational, and then the P goes away above some threshold (35 km/h?) indicating it is not operational. It assumes you are not trying to park the car at, say, 120 km/h (that sounds fast to me, but I'm American, what do I know about km/h?).

I describe how Parking Assist works in post#12 at

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-guidance.html

It shows parking spaces with arrows, not the P.
Yes! this is exactly my problem. I know for sure my car has Parktronic but not with Parking Guidance. On my car, the "P" sign comes on/off without arrow...and the only references that I can find so far both from manual and online are "P" with arrow either on the left/right (on car with PARKTRONIC - PARKING GUIDANCE). as for my car...I still dont have any idea what it is trying to tell me.

This "P" sign is getting annoying day by day....
Old 02-09-2011, 08:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
Parktronic, I believe, also includes the sensors that warn you when you get close to something. If you have that, then the P disappearing would indicate those sensors have been turned off.

It's sort of like blind-spot assist. Below a certain speed the warning triangles turn yellow, indicating they are nonoperational. You'll get used to it.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:29 AM
ipp

W166 ML350 BT
Parking assist is active when you are driving very slow, you'll then notice the 'P'. When you passing a parking spot (parallel parking) large enough to fit the car you'll see the 'P' and an arrow pointing to the right if the spot is on the right side and left if the spot is on the left side. When you see the arrow you should stop and put in reverse. Now look at the instrument cluster and confirm the message with OK on the steering wheel. The system will now guide you to do a perfect parallel parking maneuver.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:38 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
very nice landscaping (2nd to last)
Old 02-10-2011, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by hyperion667
lol,
Old 02-11-2011, 02:00 AM

2011 E300 Avantgarde
Originally Posted by ttoE550
Parktronic, I believe, also includes the sensors that warn you when you get close to something. If you have that, then the P disappearing would indicate those sensors have been turned off.

It's sort of like blind-spot assist. Below a certain speed the warning triangles turn yellow, indicating they are nonoperational. You'll get used to it.
ttoE550, I think you got it right. I drove around for almost 1 hour last night to figure this out . From my observation, the "P" blinks on/off when there is something close to the parking sensor (front/back). In my country, there are a lot of motorcycles driving around the city. Often times they got too close with my car thus causing the sensor to light up and shows "P" sign on my dashboard. Last night I saw the "P" sign light up along with the LED's on my parking sensors...but when I pressed parking sensor button OFF, the "P" sign disappeared. If i keep the parking sensor OFF, the "P" sign never comes up again on my dashboard.

I think this is specific to Asian region....the "P" sign doesnt mean Parking Guidance to show empty parking spot. It just there to show that the parking sensor is detecting something close to the car. PARKTRONIC features in my country only has the parking sensor feature not parking guidance.

Originally Posted by hyperion667
thanks!
Old 02-11-2011, 05:21 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
lol,
what is this supposed to mean?

you're the one with a little monkey avatar...........
Old 02-11-2011, 12:37 PM

2011 E350 4Matic T-Modell
Originally Posted by K-A

The U.S. has that front end. I was just at my dealer and they have a couple. It is the non-sport package cars that have it. Granted most of the W212 have the sport package.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:47 PM

2011 E300 Avantgarde
Originally Posted by vsbabolat
The U.S. has that front end. I was just at my dealer and they have a couple. It is the non-sport package cars that have it. Granted most of the W212 have the sport package.
vababolat, KA is referring to the Avantgarde model (sport in Asia). US only has Sport and Luxury model. I believe you saw Luxury model with the straight LED, 5 slabs grilles, and smaller body kit.

What KA was referring to is the Avantgarde model, which is not available in US. Avantgarde model is like a combination of luxury and sport. Instead of 5 slabs grille, we have 3 slabs grille (just like US' sport) but we dont have the AMG kit (instead we have a modified luxury lower body kit...they make it a little bit more aggressive compared to the luxury model).

So here in Asia and EU, we have Luxury , Avantgarde, AMG-sport model.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:51 PM

2011 E350 4Matic T-Modell
vababolat, KA is referring to the Avantgarde model (sport in Asia). US only has Sport and Luxury model. I believe you saw Luxury model with the straight LED, 5 slabs grilles, and smaller body kit.

What KA was referring to is the Avantgarde model, which is not available in US. Avantgarde model is like a combination of luxury and sport. Instead of 5 slabs grille, we have 3 slabs grille (just like US' sport) but we dont have the AMG kit (instead we have a modified luxury lower body kit...they make it a little bit more aggressive compared to the luxury model).

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't even looking at the grill. I was focused on the straight LED lights. You see few Luxury models so far in the U.S. with the straight LED lights.

Last edited by vsbabolat; 02-11-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:40 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Yup. I wish we had that out here for the W212 (W211 did), as it would nicely mix things up.