E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Checked out the new BMW 550 Today , some honest thoughts.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 125 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
K-A are you eating raw meat or smoking the drapes again? Your comments that old people should only drive the luxury model because the sport is out of place for them.
I'm getting long in the tooth,have two sport E's and traded my Porsche for another new one last Dec. I'm in my early sixties and I'm sure I could give you a run for your money.
Now give your head a shake because just maybe, you look just a little out of place driving an MB at 29, a sign you've accomplished something.(your words to that effect) All you've accomplished is that you can pay a $700.00 lease payment,nothing more. Now be nice. Some of this stuff is very condescending.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:07 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Jeeeez, looks like I struck a nerve.

Maybe I wasn't clear. And mind you, I plan to one day be an "old guy" in cars that young dingbats might find "out of place" for me as well.

MOST older demographics (notice that I said, "people who don't seem to care much about cars, just want a Mercedes Sedan of a decent size") don't fit the character of the aesthetic practically forced onto them by MBUSA via the Sport Package. I'd bet that many would choose the Luxury Package, were it available to them (or had they known that it existed).

And about me being 29 in an E-Class, I agree, the car itself is more appropriate to older demographics, but I don't care. And I'm speaking about the Packages available.

I have no doubts about older folks abilities to race, in fact, I'd put my money on them. I'd also respect their opinion or judgement over cars in most cases, over younger peoples. Petee, I'm sure you can give me more than a run for my money, as my racing days are over, and I'm certainly probably not as skilled at it as many of "older people" are. I'm the first to say that I drive like a "Grandma".

Last edited by K-A; 03-09-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
OK,OK,OK....It's always hard to really to really pick a bone with you K-A. There is never any malice in what you say.
As for myself,I plan to live like a twenty year old until I croak.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C220, E350
Originally Posted by petee1997
K-A are you eating raw meat or smoking the drapes again? Your comments that old people should only drive the luxury model because the sport is out of place for them.
I'm getting long in the tooth,have two sport E's and traded my Porsche for another new one last Dec. I'm in my early sixties and I'm sure I could give you a run for your money.
Now give your head a shake because just maybe, you look just a little out of place driving an MB at 29, a sign you've accomplished something.(your words to that effect) All you've accomplished is that you can pay a $700.00 lease payment,nothing more. Now be nice. Some of this stuff is very condescending.
i probably look more out of place than K-A. im only 18.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:56 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

OK,OK,OK....It's always hard to really to really pick a bone with you K-A. There is never any malice in what you say.
As for myself,I plan to live like a twenty year old until I croak.
Lol. And me the same. Age is just a number, and a working of nature breaking down your aesthetic. Just be happy if you're a Male, as aging is far more graceful for us, and not as diminishing in terms of what we'd like to achieve, and how we'd like to live. In this society of "young young young" garbage, it's making life VERY difficult for women.... Believe me, I personally know girls who are in their mid-late 20's who think that life's about to pass them by.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 726 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Reeling the topic back, I think that the new 5 series is the best looking BMW sedan ever made. It is the first BMW sedan that I find more appealing to look at than it's Mercedes equivalent.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
Reeling the topic back, I think that the new 5 series is the best looking BMW sedan ever made. It is the first BMW sedan that I find more appealing to look at than it's Mercedes equivalent.
It is a fine looking vehicle to be sure. I find that when new BMW models come out, the prior models quickly look dated (to my eye the exception being the 7 series). A well maintained Mercedes always looks good. Now, this is just my opinion. When I set out to get the E, I wanted something luxurious,but, also built like a Moroccan taxi cab. So, I went with a very upscale Moroccan taxi cab.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:26 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
You won't find many people agreeing with that assessment in this forum. Nor would I. The new Mercedes 212's have done nothing but grow on me since they were introduced. Not that the new 5 series is a visual dog, but typical BMW, nothing much new there. They would be foolish to mess too much with a design that represents in many peoples minds what BMW is all about. Regards. Ned.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 158 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Its generic... its just a car... there is nothing about it visually to make you say "Wow nice car!!!"
Its... sooooo... Toyota'ish.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Considering this is a Mercedes forum with people who have decided to buy a um, Mercedes, then what could anyone expect as responses? That the BMW is so perfect that they're kicking themselves for not buying one? No.

But there's nothing wrong with the new F10. Because you prefer your own choices doesn't mean other choices are bad. They're just different. I don't know about other people but I choose on the merits of the individual product. And I'm really happy that there are so many good choices these days. And hey, I drive a MB, too.

But despite one's own personal biases, the F10 has garnered plenty of positive attention. So just because we all own a Mercedes doesn't mean the BMW sucks. Are you saying it to make yourself feel good about your choice? No reason for that, you made your choice based on your own desires (and hopefully nothing else.) If you're happy with your choice then there's absolutely no reason to defend it by implying the BMW is a POS.

Top Three Finalists Announced in All World Car Awards Categories
"At a press conference hosted by Bridgestone Corporation and the New York International Auto Show at the Geneva International Motor Show, the top three finalists for the World Car of the Year, World Performance Car, World Green Car and World Car Design of the Year awards were announced today. The winners will be declared at the New York International Auto Show on Thursday, April 21, 2011. From an initial entry list of thirty-nine (39) new vehicles from all over the world, then a short list of ten finalists, the top three contenders for the overall 2011 World Car of the Year title are, in alphabetical order: the Audi A8, the BMW 5 Series and the Nissan LEAF."

btw, one of the nominees for the world's best performance car is the SLS AMG. I have a feeling Mercedes/AMG will win that category.

Design Award of the Federal Republic of Germany goes to the new BMW 5 Series Sedan.
"The new BMW 5 Series Sedan has won Silver in the 2011 Design Award of the Federal Republic of Germany, presented annually by the German Design Council. The country’s most prestigious prize for product design is one of several honours already bestowed by the Design Council in recognition of the excellence of BMW Group Design. The Design Award of the Federal Republic of Germany is sponsored by the Federal Ministry of Economics and Technology and will be presented at a public ceremony in Frankfurt on 11 February 2011. The presentation forms part of the opening event of Ambiente, the world’s biggest trade fair for consumer goods."

btw, guess who won Gold by the German Design Council? The SLS AMG
Old 03-11-2011, 04:59 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

The F10 is definitely a great car, no getting around that. Whether it's better than a W212, or nicer, is up to the person. I've always loved the F10, but one thing that turned me off from the M-Pack one next to me yesterday, is how UNGAINLY it looks, the roof and greenhouse seem pretty high, the wheel wells are so large they make the stock 18's (or even 20's would look) puny, making the body look very hefty (it also looks very luxurious for a BMW). When you see it next to a W212, the 212 is much much more wedge shaped, which gives it a sleeker and sportier look IMO, whilst still looking more formidable. On the flip side, the F10 looks more athletic, graceful, and elegant.

Also, I think a lot of those awards go to first year cars. And the W212 won the "Design Award" for 2009 or 2010, or at least one (or more) of the major Euro "Design Awards".
Old 03-11-2011, 06:41 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,400 Likes on 2,845 Posts
2012 CLS63

I thought that was the age MB is aiming at?
WE'RE the age group now old timer, it's our turn............lol

and btw, raw meat is good.......and being that you're a a senior citizen....shouldn't you not be driving an E an maybe a S.......AND in your infinate wisdom
why can't you afford one having reached the pinnicle of life that you have? please share oh paragon of the world...........LOL..........

Last edited by hyperion667; 03-11-2011 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:23 AM

2011 E550 Sport (traded), 2012 SLK 350; 2013 GL450 on order for OCT delivery
Originally Posted by hyperion667

and btw, raw meat is good.......and being that you're a a senior citizen....shouldn't you not be driving an E an maybe a S.......AND in your infinate wisdom
why can't you afford one having reached the pinnicle of life that you have? please share oh paragon of the world...........LOL..........
Those with more wisdom select a car they prefer not the most expensive one they can afford. I had a 2008 S550 which I felt was a bit too large. thus, instead of getting a 2011 S550 I chose the E550 because of its more appropriate size and also because I like its styling better. My dealer tried to get me to purchase another S and offered me a very significant discount on one. But, I did not want another S model. I am happier with my E than I was with the S.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:54 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I also chose my E over a (CPO) S, even though in the long run the E would cost me a lot more. I was surprised, as I had my heart set on the S, but the ole' drive back to back, and side-by-side comparison just doesn't lie, usually. It just fit me so well.

Also tried a CLS out, the AMG 55 was fun, but the regular CLS550 just felt very awkward a "fit" for me, so the E it was (and MAN the deals on the CLS550 were great.... About as much as I'm paying for my E during the entire Lease duration!).
Old 03-11-2011, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
Originally Posted by hyperion667

What makes you so stupid?
Old 03-11-2011, 09:35 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
what makes you so sanctimonious?

get over it.........you don't have much time left to be unhappy.........

"it's the learnin' of fu#*in' nothin' that keeps me young"

Last edited by hyperion667; 03-11-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:36 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
Originally Posted by K-A
I also chose my E over a (CPO) S, even though in the long run the E would cost me a lot more. I was surprised, as I had my heart set on the S, but the ole' drive back to back, and side-by-side comparison just doesn't lie, usually. It just fit me so well.

Also tried a CLS out, the AMG 55 was fun, but the regular CLS550 just felt very awkward a "fit" for me, so the E it was (and MAN the deals on the CLS550 were great.... About as much as I'm paying for my E during the entire Lease duration!).
I remember when I first saw the new 210 body style back in 1997 thinking that it was the most beautiful full size luxury sedan that I had ever seen. A modern look yet harkening back to the glory days of the original Mercedes designs. I knew I had to have one and bought a 2000 e320 4matic. I never fully warmed up to the 211 body, thinking that it was evolutionary but not in a way that made me want to own one in comparison to my e320. I actually preferred the 210 body in most ways for my original reasons. When I first saw the new 212 body it was such a design departure from my beloved 210 body that I chose to dislike it out of hand. But I gradually warmed up to and started to appreciate just how modern and well integrated the overall design of the 212 was. Within a years time my 2000 e320 started to, all of a sudden, look dated to me, which is something that I never thought would happen. As for the BMW 5 series, it is a classic looking BMW, which except for subtle changes doesn't look meaningfully different now than it did 10 years ago. I'm not saying that is a bad thing either. Sometimes a classic look just needs to evolve and that is what BMW has chosen to do with a product that has a large loyal following. After all, if you believe that you have developed a perfect body style that achieves the objectives of aerodynamics and functionality for the interior, why would you change it? Shouldn't function triumph over design? That said, the e class design made a revoutionary change from 10 years ago. Mercedes took a big chance which could have been a disaster. I applaud them and believe that they have succeeded brilliantly. Regards. Ned.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:12 AM
MCF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
Hyperion and KA are our residential 'rice rocket' modifiers (i.e. taking a beautiful car and making sooo many mods that their cars look gawdy and tacky, but to each his own).
Old 03-11-2011, 11:49 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
LOL 'rice rocket' (racist as HELL btw)

side markers
wheels
plate lights

what is so bad about that?
and plus, I actually own my car, in the true sense of the word.......bought and paid for..........

but thanx for naming me a resident
Old 03-11-2011, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
Originally Posted by MCF
Hyperion and KA are our residential 'rice rocket' modifiers (i.e. taking a beautiful car and making sooo many mods that their cars look gawdy and tacky, but to each his own).
Actually K-A is great guy and always civil to a fault. On the other hand, Hyperion is a piece of work. I really think his mother dropped him as baby. After reading his posts for some time now, I think something is not quite right with him but I find it amusing to rattle his cage.

Last edited by petee1997; 03-11-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:08 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by MCF
Are you serious?

Says the guy who takes out his frustration of his Wife dominating the E-Class buy with a Luxury Package.... Then claiming he loves the Luxury Package..... Then admitting that he secretly admires us with the Sport Package, which is why he's been our most un-valuable Member..... Then makes fun of people for "trying to turn a Luxury Sedan into a Sport Sedan"..... THEN again shows his insecurities and envious attributes by Posting up Threads asking about Star grill's, flat badges, big wheels, and Sprint Boosters (all things that you in theory, or distinctively attacked in the first place), trying to turn a car his Wife wants as nothing more than a comfort cruiser, into a tacky and awkwardly mismatched modded (star grill, especially on a Luxury model), rough riding (big wheels), and aggressively tuned (Spring Booster) Jekyll/Hyde Sedan.

Ouch.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:13 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Actually K-A is great guy and always civil to a fault. On the other hand, Hyperion is a piece of work. I really think his mother dropped him as baby. After reading his posts for some time now, I think something is not quite right with him but I find it amusing to rattle his cage.
Thanks old friend. Couldn't hold it all back, but who says I can't have some fun too.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:52 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Edited since MCF's posts were removed.

Last edited by K-A; 03-12-2011 at 06:47 PM. Reason: removed inappropriate quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Calm down everybody. These are just cars and everybody is entitled to their own tastes, desires, and needs. That's why stuff is made in all colors and all sizes.

There's no reason to belittle others for their choices and no need to defend your own.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:39 PM

C220, E350
Originally Posted by K-A
Are you serious?

Says the guy who takes out his frustration of his Wife dominating the E-Class buy with a Luxury Package.... Then claiming he loves the Luxury Package..... Then admitting that he secretly admires us with the Sport Package, which is why he's been our most un-valuable Member..... Then makes fun of people for "trying to turn a Luxury Sedan into a Sport Sedan"..... THEN again shows his insecurities and envious attributes by Posting up Threads asking about Star grill's, flat badges, big wheels, and Sprint Boosters (all things that you in theory, or distinctively attacked in the first place), trying to turn a car his Wife wants as nothing more than a comfort cruiser, into a tacky and awkwardly mismatched modded (star grill, especially on a Luxury model), rough riding (big wheels), and aggressively tuned (Spring Booster) Jekyll/Hyde Sedan.

Ouch.
he should of just gotten the e class luxury coupe (if it even exists)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Checked out the new BMW 550 Today , some honest thoughts.