E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Air Cabin filter location on W212

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E250 CGI
Air Cabin filter location on W212

Any idea where the air cabin filter is located, under the glove compartment inside the viechle or under the battery black cover accessed from the hood?

Thanks ahead..
Old 02-20-2011, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Bad location

Originally Posted by farnawa
Any idea where the air cabin filter is located, under the glove compartment inside the viechle or under the battery black cover accessed from the hood?

Thanks ahead..
I think Konigstar provided some information on this in the past. It requires removing part of the dash and is very complicated.
This is 4th car I have owned with cabin filter and I could replace the filter on the others in about 15 minutes or less. In fact, the owner's manual had instructions for how to do it.
Others were made in Asia or America.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Remove instrument panel cover below glove box, remove clamps at both ends of filter housing, unlock slide in direction of arrow – remove combination filter.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:33 PM

'11 350 4matic - '14 Stingray: Gone, BMW 530i, Porsche 944 Turbo, Porsche 356, Mitsubishi 3000GT
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Remove instrument panel cover below glove box, remove clamps at both ends of filter housing, unlock slide in direction of arrow – remove combination filter.
You are the man!!! It's nice having someone so knowledgeable about the ins-and-outs of the car on the forum. Bravo.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:11 AM

2010 E250 CGI
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Your help is much appreciated, thanks..
A quick question though, I noticed that there is a black box over the battery, which is directly connected to the outside air inlet, taking the air through the black box to the A/C fan when the recirculation button is off. This black box is just a path, and has no filters whatsoever, is it normal that there is no dust filter or any kind of pre-filtration before all this dusty and polluted air reaches the Cabin filter. The reason why I'm asking is that I have not experienced such unfiltered air coming into the car in any other cars I drove during the past years, is it normal that Mercedes couldn’t solve this issue?
Old 02-22-2011, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
A quick question though, I noticed that there is a black box over the battery, which is directly connected to the outside air inlet, taking the air through the black box to the A/C fan when the recirculation button is off. This black box is just a path, and has no filters whatsoever, is it normal that there is no dust filter or any kind of pre-filtration before all this dusty and polluted air reaches the Cabin filter. The reason why I'm asking is that I have not experienced such unfiltered air coming into the car in any other cars I drove during the past years, is it normal that Mercedes couldn’t solve this issue?
Do you mean there should be a filter protecting the cabin filter getting dirty? Then there should also be a filter that protects the filter that protects the cabin filter.

You could ask if there should be some kind of a filter to protect the blower fan from some big obstacles. Someone did add a filter for that purpose (or was it on a 204 that has the same design).
Old 02-22-2011, 04:36 PM

2010 E250 CGI
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Do you mean there should be a filter protecting the cabin filter getting dirty? Then there should also be a filter that protects the filter that protects the cabin filter.

You could ask if there should be some kind of a filter to protect the blower fan from some big obstacles. Someone did add a filter for that purpose (or was it on a 204 that has the same design).
If this was how you understood my query, then I must've put it in a very stupid way...

In my W212, and when the recirculation is off, whatever you can smell in the street comes in inside the cabin, unlike any other car, I'm afraid something was there before the blower fan and got missing during maintenance or so, I wanted to check with somebody driving a W212 to confirm whether there is something between the black box over the battery and the A/C fan inlet..
Old 02-23-2011, 08:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If this was how you understood my query, then I must've put it in a very stupid way...

In my W212, and when the recirculation is off, whatever you can smell in the street comes in inside the cabin, unlike any other car, I'm afraid something was there before the blower fan and got missing during maintenance or so, I wanted to check with somebody driving a W212 to confirm whether there is something between the black box over the battery and the A/C fan inlet..
I don't know what your "all other cars" are but the W212 does have a dust filter and all air from outside of the car comes through this dust filter. The dust filter is actually a combo-filter, it has the properties of a charcoal filter that not only collects dust from the incoming air.

Some MBs have a separate charcoal filter for harmful gases and odour, the combination filter is probably a bit less powerful for this task but then again I would say most other cars do not have even the combination filter but an ordinary dust filter alone. These would collect dust from the incoming air but none of the odour that you seem mainly seem to complain.

As I tried to explain earlier, the W212 filter is located a bit differently from older MBs but for the air flow it would not matter where the filter is located as long as all air passes through that filter.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's a dust filter

From my experiences, the W212 filter is a dust filter. Does not filter out any odors at all. My Hyundai Azera had an Air Quality switch that when activated and odors/smoke detected would automatically switch to recirculation and then turn off when odors disappeared.
Worked amazingly well. Very disappointed that W212 does not have a comparable device.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:43 AM

2010 E250 CGI
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
I don't know what your "all other cars" are but the W212 does have a dust filter and all air from outside of the car comes through this dust filter. The dust filter is actually a combo-filter, it has the properties of a charcoal filter that not only collects dust from the incoming air.

Some MBs have a separate charcoal filter for harmful gases and odour, the combination filter is probably a bit less powerful for this task but then again I would say most other cars do not have even the combination filter but an ordinary dust filter alone. These would collect dust from the incoming air but none of the odour that you seem mainly seem to complain.

As I tried to explain earlier, the W212 filter is located a bit differently from older MBs but for the air flow it would not matter where the filter is located as long as all air passes through that filter.
Got it, thanks for your explanation.
As long as it is confirmed that only a single filter is there (Combined), now I'm convinced that the W212 is not very sharp on preventing polluted smoke while the circulation is off, I don’t think you guys would suffer much as long as you live in a relatively normal environmental conditions, apparently driving in downtown Cairo would be very challenging to any car maker when it comes to pollution, despite tear gas during protests!!
Old 09-26-2011, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 895 Likes on 644 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine

You might need a carbon filter, which W212 filter in my understanding is not. Carbon filter would take smell out. I'm not sure if carbon filter is available for W212?
Old 09-26-2011, 04:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes e350 BlueTec
If the stock e filter doesn't have activated carbon, we should all buy and install one of these......

http://www.drivewire.com/search/?N=0...D(universal:0)

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...ek+Google+Base

Last edited by ghstudio; 09-26-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Arrie
You might need a carbon filter, which W212 filter in my understanding is not. Carbon filter would take smell out. I'm not sure if carbon filter is available for W212?
The "plain" filter is not available for the W212. The standard filter is a combo filter.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350 4matic
After reading this post I decided to replace the cabin filter on my 2011 E350 4matic.
Never again. The rear clamp was a bear to get back on. This is a job for young, wiry, people.
Question:
Since the filter is asymmetrical, could it be installed wrong? As in air flow direction.
Furnace filters have an arrow for direction of air flow.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Very poorly engineered design

Originally Posted by mwmeci
After reading this post I decided to replace the cabin filter on my 2011 E350 4matic.
Never again. The rear clamp was a bear to get back on. This is a job for young, wiry, people.
Question:
Since the filter is asymmetrical, could it be installed wrong? As in air flow direction.
Furnace filters have an arrow for direction of air flow.
As I said before, the Asians and Americans do this much, much better. So simple the owner's manuals have instructions on how to do it. 5-15 minutes start to finish in my experience with several vehicles.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
c 238 220 diesel 4matic
mann filters - CUK 29 005
Old 05-11-2014, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 386 Likes on 315 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Originally Posted by El Cid
As I said before, the Asians and Americans do this much, much better. So simple the owner's manuals have instructions on how to do it. 5-15 minutes start to finish in my experience with several vehicles.
+1. Last Toyota I had was so easy - it didn't even need any tools to open filter housing for engine or cabin filters.