E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Extended MB Warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 e350 luxury 4matic
Extended MB Warranty

Does anyone have any thoughts on purchasing the extended warranty on 2011 E350. i am looking at the 75k or 100k mileage extension, i took the 100k extended warranty on my present 2001 e430 and i really didn't need it on that car. i have a 2011 e350 on order i don't really have a good feeling if i will need it or not. and the cost is 3x that it was in 2001. so if anyone could provide some advice, it would be very helpfull.

thank you roger
Old 04-19-2011, 07:41 PM

11 E550 Cabriolet
Being a person that tends to keep cars long term (6 - 9 yrs) I went with 7yr 75k extended warranty. Let me suggest you shop around for this as you can buy this from any dealer in any state. Local dealer wanted $3595 and said can't go lower blah, blah, blah. Got a quote from an out of state volume dealer at $3000 and local dealer matched it.

Also got 3yr prepaid maintenance for $795. Dealer was trying to hose me for $1200 for 3yr maint saying website price is only available if taken when car is ordered. Did my shopping and bingo... Dealer matched it. Also got them to throw in a set of all weather mats for my frustration.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
I have a long commute and tend to put about 25K mi. per year on a car. I tend to see how a vehicle is during the first year. My theory with cars is that the first 13K miles tends to let you know how it will be structurally. In other words, my experience has always been that how a car is at 13K miles is how it will be structurally for 100K. If there are mechanical or electrical issues, then the coverage may be worth it. As a rule, extended warranties do not pay for themselves if the vehicle is sound. As I do a lot of highway miles, which are the easiest miles a car can experience, I tend to exceed the mileage before serious issues manifest themselves. If you are the kind of person the gets peace of mind with the added assurance, then by all means, purchase the extended warranty. It is hard to put a price on your own peace of mind.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by ImInPA
As I do a lot of highway miles, which are the easiest miles a car can experience, I tend to exceed the mileage before serious issues manifest themselves.
I,too,am toying with the idea of buying an extended warranty and your point about highway vs city miles is a good one,IMO.About 95% of my miles are Interstate miles (I very seldom drive in,or near,a large city) and for that reason I'm leaning against an extended warranty.But all forms of "insurance" are a roll of the dice so we'll see how my roll works out.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by listerone
I,too,am toying with the idea of buying an extended warranty and your point about highway vs city miles is a good one,IMO.About 95% of my miles are Interstate miles (I very seldom drive in,or near,a large city) and for that reason I'm leaning against an extended warranty.But all forms of "insurance" are a roll of the dice so we'll see how my roll works out.
Please understand that what I said is just my opinion and it is worth every penny I charged for it. I have a Bluetec diesel. Diesels are pretty solid just by design. I do worry about the electronics in my MB (any modern car for that matter). At almost 12K miles (6 months for me) the vehicle has just be fantastic. There is no reason to think that it is all of a sudden going to self destruct. The way I see it, I am generally "out" of warranty within the first 2.5-3 years. Extended warranties do not buy me enough time for the reliability to change that much. At this time, I am anticipating close to 50K on my tires, at my 10K service, the tech informed me that my brakes are like new. I would rather purchase a five year old car with 100K highway miles than a five year old car with 60K miles mostly city. Factor in diesel variable, and you have a vehicle that develops all of its useful power below 3K RPMs, so, a diesel gives me that added reassurance just by its very nature.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by ImInPA
Factor in diesel variable, and you have a vehicle that develops all of its useful power below 3K RPMs, so, a diesel gives me that added reassurance just by its very nature.
Being a fairly sedate driver (cruise control at 65mph=no speeding tickets) I've been above 2,000rpm in either of my diesels a half dozen times at most.That may,or may not,result in more trouble free miles under the hood.Unless something really bad happens to me or my Bluetec...or if I win the lottery...I plan to have it for 75K miles so we'll see.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by listerone
Being a fairly sedate driver (cruise control at 65mph=no speeding tickets) I've been above 2,000rpm in either of my diesels a half dozen times at most.That may,or may not,result in more trouble free miles under the hood.Unless something really bad happens to me or my Bluetec...or if I win the lottery...I plan to have it for 75K miles so we'll see.
Electronics willing, I am anticipating 100-130K miles during the next 5-6 years. So far, I think this is one of those "keeper" cars you get every so often. If ot continues as it is, I may just keep it and get another. I have had a love of diesels ever since I worked in Belgium back in the '80's. My E is the best diesel I have had in the US. I wish Audi and BMW would put their diesels into there larger sedans. The 335d is a great diesel car. The back seat is just too cramped for my needs. That motor would increase the appeal of the new 5 for me. Of course it would be great if MB would offer the tune that they use for the S350 to all Bluetec owners. This engine has so much more to give. Think about it, the S class has the same engine producing 30+ hp more. Even in that regard we are not "over-stressing" our diesels.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:01 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Ford Fusion
Exclamation Extended Warranty at 50% of Dealer Pricing

Originally Posted by jures
Does anyone have any thoughts on purchasing the extended warranty on 2011 E350. i am looking at the 75k or 100k mileage extension, i took the 100k extended warranty on my present 2001 e430 and i really didn't need it on that car. i have a 2011 e350 on order i don't really have a good feeling if i will need it or not. and the cost is 3x that it was in 2001. so if anyone could provide some advice, it would be very helpfull.

thank you roger
Hi Roger;

We're a new authorized vendor here on MBWorld and just noticed your posting. We may have an affordable answer to your question about extended protection for your e350. We're autoPOM! Our mechanical breakdown protection plans are backed and administered by Mercury Insurance Group. They are designed to provide comparable extended coverage offered by the manufacturer. For our best 'Platinum' coverage (commonly referred to as bumper-to-bumper) we have several term and mileage options available for your 2011 e350 assuming under 15000 miles. For 72 Months / 75,000 Miles, the charge excluding taxes is $1390.
For 60 Months / 100,000 Miles, the charge excluding taxes is $1665.
For 72 Months / 100,000 Miles, the charge excluding taxes is $1820.
(Different rates apply in CA, OR, AK ID)
Additional terms and mileage options are available. If you would like an instant quote (contact info not required) please use our self-service quoting tool at http://www.extended-vehicle-warranty...ant-quote.html

Thanks, Mike