E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

E550 Airmatic Sports Setting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 05:45 PM
WGB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W212 E500, W164 320CDI, W116 450SEL 6.9, W116 450 SEL.
E550 Airmatic Sports Setting

I have been driving around for six months and have been using the comfort/sport button to tighten up the suspension when required when I finally read the manual and tried out the other comfort/sport button which changes all the transmission settings as well.

I was surprised to find that apart from starting off with a wallop in first gear at the lights and keeping the engine revs higher at each speed it appears to tighten up the Airmatic dampers and the ride firms but not to the same degree of firmness as the sports damper setting alone.

There was some discussion on this board involving ngsterman who were looking for a wider range of suspension settings as is available in other Airmatic models.

I cannot convince myself that putting both buttons in sport makes it any harder than the sports damper setting on it's own but it would appear that the are at least three suspension settings available.

After 7 months with my E500 (E550) I am still in awe of the ride quality and sports handling option of the Airmatic Suspension as well as the engine/transmission combination and while a twin turbo 4.7 with a 9 speed transmission might arrive in the future I think I've got it pretty good so far with zero problems.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:08 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
Originally Posted by WGB
I have been driving around for six months and have been using the comfort/sport button to tighten up the suspension when required when I finally read the manual and tried out the other comfort/sport button which changes all the transmission settings as well.

I was surprised to find that apart from starting off with a wallop in first gear at the lights and keeping the engine revs higher at each speed it appears to tighten up the Airmatic dampers and the ride firms but not to the same degree of firmness as the sports damper setting alone.

There was some discussion on this board involving ngsterman who were looking for a wider range of suspension settings as is available in other Airmatic models.

I cannot convince myself that putting both buttons in sport makes it any harder than the sports damper setting on it's own but it would appear that the are at least three suspension settings available.

After 7 months with my E500 (E550) I am still in awe of the ride quality and sports handling option of the Airmatic Suspension as well as the engine/transmission combination and while a twin turbo 4.7 with a 9 speed transmission might arrive in the future I think I've got it pretty good so far with zero problems.
What other sport/comfort button? I don't believe that we have that on the US e550. Thanks. Ned.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Audi S4 MT6
He is referring to the Sport and Economy settings for the transmission. On NA models, Economy is used instead of Comfort.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:44 AM
DHI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 ML550, 996 G T 3
WGB,

I appreciate the Sport setting for the suspension, especially with the lowered ride height it offers.

I also prefer the Soprt setting for the transmission. I just wish it would remain in Sport mode instead of defaulting to Comfort evertime you restart the car.

Contrary to yourself, I do not feel that the Sport button for the transmission does anything in changing the suspension characteristics.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by ngerstman
What other sport/comfort button? I don't believe that we have that on the US e550. Thanks. Ned.
... wth... r u serious? lmao.
Originally Posted by B6JoeS4
He is referring to the Sport and Economy settings for the transmission. On NA models, Economy is used instead of Comfort.
He is talking about the comfort/sport button for the suspension and also mention the sport/Economy for the transmission.

I hardly use the either mode, I find myself driving with both settings in comfort. When I park I hit the sport button because I love walking up to the car and seeing a nice drop with my LoMo M1.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:25 AM
WGB

Here is the button I am talking about - the "Program Selector Button".

Obviously in the 550 with the super select lever there is no console shifter but the button is there just the same.

The manual clearly states that it affects the suspension setting as well as auto shifting and engine settings and it certainly gives a pleasant slightly softer version of the sport suspension setting which unfortunately reverts to comfort with each new startup.

Bill

Last edited by WGB; 05-09-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:08 PM
WGB

Any way - sorry to labour the point - but I tried it again today on my way into work and it definitely changes the suspension settings with a firmness to the handling that is not present in the comfort setting but most of the comfort setting ride quality.

I would actually prefer it to the comfort ride if it wasn't for the extra engine revs that go with the sport transmission settings and really aren't required for the local driving that I am doing.

When the suspension setting is set to sport the ride deteriorates noticably over either setting.

I guess we must get something for our money when we are paying twice the price you guys in the US pay for your cars.

Bill
Old 05-11-2011, 08:27 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
does anyone change modes while moving?
I have always wondered if it's better to switch when your still.....
or if it's okay to switch to 'sport' while moving........
Old 05-11-2011, 08:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
Originally Posted by hyperion667
does anyone change modes while moving?
I have always wondered if it's better to switch when your still.....
or if it's okay to switch to 'sport' while moving........
I do it all the time. They would have blocked it (like DVD, NAV) if they really didn't want us too.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by WGB
Here is the button I am talking about - the "Program Selector Button".

Obviously in the 550 with the super select lever there is no console shifter but the button is there just the same.

The manual clearly states that it affects the suspension setting as well as auto shifting and engine settings and it certainly gives a pleasant slightly softer version of the sport suspension setting which unfortunately reverts to comfort with each new startup.

Bill
I think you aren't interpreting this correctly. They aren't saying that the buttons effect the suspension, they are saying that Comfort vs. Sport characterizes the kind of driving you are doing. That button only effects the transmission and perhaps the throttle. it has no effect on the suspension.

The separate button(s) for the AirMatic are to control the suspension.

That button appeared on all W211's with steel suspensions and those suspensions cannot be altered, only AirMatic can be altered and only by the buttons controlling it or by the speed of the car.

The Comfort/Sport button can make a noticeable difference because the transmission starting gear and shift points are altered.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by BudC
I think you aren't interpreting this correctly. They aren't saying that the buttons effect the suspension, they are saying that Comfort vs. Sport characterizes the kind of driving you are doing. That button only effects the transmission and perhaps the throttle. it has no effect on the suspension.

That button appeared on all W211's with steel suspensions and those suspensions cannot be altered, only AirMatic can be altered and only by the buttons controlling it or by the speed of the car.

The Comfort/Sport button can make a noticeable difference because the transmission starting gear and shift points are altered.
The poster is from Australia. There seems to be a whole different set up in the ROW compared to NA (or at least the US, not sure about Canada.) The ADS system seems to be different here (continuous adaptive system in the ROW combined with airmatic and not just ADS with airmatic.)

btw, they sell a E 200 NGT BlueEFFICIENCY that runs on natural gas in the ROW.

If you look on the worldwide Daimler media site for journalists and also on the main Mercedes site (select Australia or the UK, or any other country if you know the language) you'll see reference that a continuously adaptive damping system is being combined with Airmatic in the E500.

Air suspension: available in combination with continuously adaptive damping system for the first time

The new E-Class is the first Mercedes-Benz model to feature a combination of AIRMATIC air suspension and an electronically controlled damping system that adapts the damper characteristics with continuously variable control – individually for each wheel. This air suspension setup is available as an option for the V6‑powered E 350 CGI BlueEFFICIENCY and E 350 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY models and for the E 350 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY 4MATIC and E 350 4MATIC models; it is fitted as standard for the E 500/E 500 4MATIC models.
A total of seven sensors monitor the driving situation and the position of the body, sending their information to an electronic control unit, which also processes information concerning road speed, steering wheel angle, braking torque and engine torque, using this data to calculate the optimum shock-absorber characteristics.

The system adjusts the damping force for each wheel individually, depending on the current road conditions and driving situation. When driving normally, soft damping settings are also selected if the road surface is poor. This mode offers the E-Class occupants maximum comfort without impairing the outstanding directional stability, road adhesion or handling safety. As the driving style becomes more dynamic, the shock-absorber settings are adapted continuously and therefore meet the driver's need for enhanced agility.

The driver can pre-program the principal vehicle characteristics at the push of a button on the dashboard. There are two modes to choose from: "Comfort" or "Sport". In Sport mode, the hydraulic forces of the shock absorbers are increased so as to allow even better directional stability and road adhesion at high speeds as well as reduce understeer at speeds of up to 120 km/h.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:43 AM
WGB

That may be so in US versions but I beg to differ with my car.

My manual says quite clearly as illustrated further down the paragraph " Drive program S is
characterized by - sporty engine and suspension characteristics" and that is sure how it feels.

I would appreciate any ROW experiences if they are forthcoming.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by WGB
That may be so in US versions but I beg to differ with my car.

My manual says quite clearly as illustrated further down the paragraph " Drive program S is
characterized by - sporty engine and suspension characteristics" and that is sure how it feels.

I would appreciate any ROW experiences if they are forthcoming.
I see your point, the U.S. manual talks only about the changes to the transmission. I wonder how that switch could affect the suspension characteristics on cars without AirMatic.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:58 PM

2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
I see your point, the U.S. manual talks only about the changes to the transmission. I wonder how that switch could affect the suspension characteristics on cars without AirMatic.
It doesn't affect the suspension in cars without airmatic, main affect is to have the tranny start from 2nd gear in economy mode. Mercedes has had that feature for a long time. It used to be referred to as the s/w, or sport/weather mode. Regards. Ned.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
It doesn't affect the suspension in cars without airmatic, main affect is to have the tranny start from 2nd gear in economy mode. Mercedes has had that feature for a long time. It used to be referred to as the s/w, or sport/weather mode. Regards. Ned.
I know, that's why I questioned the description. What I don't understand is why they would duplicate the function of the Sport button for AirMatic rather than just keep it like in the U.S.?
Old 05-12-2011, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

^^^^^^

Because they have the continuously adaptive damping system. Read my post or go to a non-USA Mercedes website (or the Daimler Media site) and you can read it for yourself.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
I know, that's why I questioned the description. What I don't understand is why they would duplicate the function of the Sport button for AirMatic rather than just keep it like in the U.S.?
They did keep it like in the US, or actually they kept it for the US like it is for the ROW.
Program selector button

General notes

The program selector button allows you to choose between different driving characteristics.
Program selector button
Program selector button with manual drive program
E Economy
Comfortable, economical driving
S Sport
Sporty driving style
M Manual
Manual gearshifting

The transmission program setting does not affect the suspension mode.
http://www4.mercedes-benz.com/manual...64e18867.shtml

Airmatic:
http://www4.mercedes-benz.com/manual...fb054377a9fd8b
The following users liked this post:
alfredwsmith (06-03-2021)
Old 05-12-2011, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by 220S
^^^^^^

Because they have the continuously adaptive damping system. Read my post or go to a non-USA Mercedes website (or the Daimler Media site) and you can read it for yourself.
I thought my USA E550 had a continuously adaptive damping system. I guess I need to stand aside and see what happens.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:48 AM
WGB

On my 2003 W211 E320 with 5 speed auto the S/W mode was called Summer/Winter and not only did it start in second gear in the winter mode but it had two different reverse gear ratios with a taller ratio for reversing in slippery conditions which I often used for reversing up a steep gravel drive.

Does the 7G-Tronic do the same thing? My ML500 never was short of traction and I have given up on reversing up slippery slopes in my E500.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by WGB
On my 2003 W211 E320 with 5 speed auto the S/W mode was called Summer/Winter and not only did it start in second gear in the winter mode but it had two different reverse gear ratios with a taller ratio for reversing in slippery conditions which I often used for reversing up a steep gravel drive.

Does the 7G-Tronic do the same thing? My ML500 never was short of traction and I have given up on reversing up slippery slopes in my E500.
That could be. I had the s/w setting on my 2000 e320 and on my 2001 e55. I never realized that it did anything for reverse. I no longer have the e320 and the e55 never goes out in the snow!! Thanks. Ned.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I thought my USA E550 had a continuously adaptive damping system. I guess I need to stand aside and see what happens.
I didn't explain it very well, but it's all spelled out in documents on the Daimler Global Media Site.

Bottom line is yes, of course we have ADS in Airmatic. But for some reason the call it "continuously adaptive dampening system" in the ROW for both Airmatic and non-Airmatic. And it's referred to as ADS here. Maybe it's because you can get Airmatic option in all E Class models in the ROW?

There is the button that you select that not only affects the transmission but also the dampers. That's the pic he showed in the manual. But with Airmatic it's a C or E that affects the transmission and then there's the ADS setting. There's a little shock absorber icon on the ADS button (it used to be that there were three settings: one comfort and two "sport.")

Diesel Benz's post shows it. It's not really a duplication. There's the non-Airmatic with the C and E button for the tranny and the Airmatic with the same button. And then there's the ADS button with Airmatic only. But with the "continuously adaptive dampening system" the C and E (C and S) button affect both the tranny and the suspension in the ROW non-Airmatic cars. It may in fact affect the suspension in the non-ROW cars, too, but it's not spelled out in the literature nor the USA manual. And I don't see any reference to it all in USA models. In the ROW they even refer it with the C Class (as an option.)

That is apparently why in all the ROW cars it says that it affects the suspension.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by 220S
^^^^^^

Dynamic Handling Suspension

Engineered to meet the requirements of even more demanding drivers, the Dynamic Handling suspension alters the damping rates, accelerator response and shift points, all at the touch of a single button. The electronically controlled shock absorbers independently adjust for each wheel based on the current driving situation. A choice of Comfort and Sport settings lets you match the car's driving character to your mood.

Copy/paste from MBUSA
Old 05-13-2011, 02:09 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
I just have to say:

the avatar with the door kicking president is killing me......what a crybaby!
Old 05-14-2011, 04:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Tjdehya
Dynamic Handling Suspension

Engineered to meet the requirements of even more demanding drivers, the Dynamic Handling suspension alters the damping rates, accelerator response and shift points, all at the touch of a single button. The electronically controlled shock absorbers independently adjust for each wheel based on the current driving situation. A choice of Comfort and Sport settings lets you match the car's driving character to your mood.

Copy/paste from MBUSA
Pay attention. I was purposely referencing ROW documents from Daimler's global media website and nomenclature, not USA specs from MBUSA.

Your copy/paste that you are referring to is only for the coupe and cab and the C Class (option.) The dynamic handling package is not an option on the W212 sedan RWD and 4matic in the USA.

We are talking about the W212 sedan here......
Old 05-14-2011, 06:55 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
yeah!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E550 Airmatic Sports Setting