E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

New E!

Old 10-17-2011, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C220 W204
New E!

Hello all, just like to pop in and introduce myself!
I drive a c class so I've spent a lot of time at the C class forum, but now my father had just ordered a E-220 Elegance model for my mother as a surprise gift, so I guess I'll be dropping by the E class forum quite often now too

First of all, I want to ask about servicing, as I've only got my C for just 6 months, and my service comes once a yr as it is a diesel, so I'm still quite unfamiliar with these things.

My father told me that the sales rep suggested servicing at every 8k, with major servicing at 30k, 60k and 90k at the cost of 30k-50k or more Taiwan Dollars ( $976-$1627 AUD). When he suggested to the rep that my C only gets its service done at every 15k, the rep told him that its because I'm situated in Australia so the car is required to travel further, where as in Taiwan the cars travels lesser distance and therefore by the time it reaches 15k it'll be way over its service time.

In simple, both my mum and my car are diesel models, but her service comes much earlier then mine does. Can you guys give me some idea here??

cheers
Old 10-17-2011, 10:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes e350 BlueTec
None of that makes sense.

1) Maintenance is based on mileage more than on time. Time is only a factor when one doesn't drive many miles.

2) In order for your warrany to remain in effect Mercedes requires that you follow their maintenance schedule and do all the items required at each maintenance interval. The required maintenance schedule should be in a booklet you received with your car(s).

3) You certainly can do any maintenance item more often....some replace oil every 3000 or 5000 miles, no matter what is recommended....but that is up to you.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:24 AM

C220 W204
Originally Posted by ghstudio

1) Maintenance is based on mileage more than on time. Time is only a factor when one doesn't drive many miles.

2) In order for your warrany to remain in effect Mercedes requires that you follow their maintenance schedule and do all the items required at each maintenance interval. The required maintenance schedule should be in a booklet you received with your car(s).

3) You certainly can do any maintenance item more often....some replace oil every 3000 or 5000 miles, no matter what is recommended....but that is up to you.
Thanks ghstudio for the information, I will definitely let my dad know about what you had summed up
Old 10-18-2011, 09:56 AM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Originally Posted by ghstudio

Correct. A few more clarifications:

Maintenance is also based on regional requirements and depends on fuel type and expected driving habits. The maintenance requirements in Germany are different from those in the US.

Some services (brake fluid for example) is time based. Brake fluid absorbs moisture over time and the miles driven are irrelevant.

You must use approved fluids and parts in order to keep your warranty intact.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 834 Likes on 603 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by Gashde
Hello all, just like to pop in and introduce myself!
I drive a c class so I've spent a lot of time at the C class forum, but now my father had just ordered a E-220 Elegance model for my mother as a surprise gift, so I guess I'll be dropping by the E class forum quite often now too

First of all, I want to ask about servicing, as I've only got my C for just 6 months, and my service comes once a yr as it is a diesel, so I'm still quite unfamiliar with these things.

My father told me that the sales rep suggested servicing at every 8k, with major servicing at 30k, 60k and 90k at the cost of 30k-50k or more Taiwan Dollars ( $976-$1627 AUD). When he suggested to the rep that my C only gets its service done at every 15k, the rep told him that its because I'm situated in Australia so the car is required to travel further, where as in Taiwan the cars travels lesser distance and therefore by the time it reaches 15k it'll be way over its service time.

In simple, both my mum and my car are diesel models, but her service comes much earlier then mine does. Can you guys give me some idea here??

cheers

Just my experience:

I used to drive a Chevy Tahoe. It had the oil life % display for the engine, which I think was set based on 3000 mile. So it would mean that when my oil life reaches 0% at 3000 miles it is time to change engine oil.

My driving is almost all highway so I get a lot of miles compared to city driving if we look at engine revolutions. I still changed my oil every 3000 miles when the oil life was showing between 60 -70%, i.e. I could have driven three times longer between oil changes.

This shows how driving habit has a lot to do with the engine oil life. I'm not sure but I think MB service counter goes quite strongly based on the miles and not what the engine actually does.

Another thing to notice for people who wonder how these cars can go 10 ooo miles between oil changes. My E350 V6 has 8 quart oil volume. That is 2 quarts more than my 5.3L V8 on my Tahoe had, i.e. more oil volume extends oil life, naturally.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:31 PM

C220 W204
Thank you all for your contributions, it sure has helped me understand.
Though the other main concern here is the pricing for the service, I've just called up my local dealer in regards to service fee, which I was quoted for $575 AUD approx. for service A on my C-class, I would assume that servicing the E may cost more then that, but does the major servicing price of $976-$1627 AUD seem reasonable for you guys??

Obviously I understand that the service fees varies throughout different countries, though I would like to hear from you all for an understanding on what pricing seems reasonable for the owners which my father could use as a guide.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
You guys in the rest of the world are so lucky...just about every car you can buy is offered with a diesel and here in the US you have to hunt high and low for one.As for my diesel,the factory requires 1 year,10,000 mile oil changes.I plan to half that...every 6 months,5,000 miles (just did my first one recently).I might move up other things as well...fuel filter,brakes,transmission,antifreeze,etc.I plan to keep my car a *long* time.

In simple, both my mum and my car are diesel models....
So you mum is a diesel too? What is she...a 2.5....a 3.0? (Sorry,couldn't help myself)
Old 10-20-2011, 11:39 PM

2005 Audi S4 MT6
Oil life gauges are not based on miles for the most part. It is calculated by a computer based on speed, RPM's, and temperature. However, some older cars do base it on miles. All GM cars that show a % use the first method whereas most Chrysler's and older cars will use the latter.

These Mercedes engines are Alusil. Oil changes should be done every 7000-8000 miles for the "old man" style driver. For aggressive drivers, every 5000