E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Service A -- why should I?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 06:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 AMG
Service A -- why should I?

I have been notified by my car that Service A is due in 30 days. I called around and got a number of quotes including one for $320 ($288 with %10 off coupon) from my dealer in Arlington VA. Other dealerships were a bit lower, but still around $290. Is this reasonable? I have a 2011 E63 AMG. I asked what Service A entailed and it seemed like a lot of "checking" and an oil change. When looking at the internet service specials on the dealer website, I notice that they have a coupon for an $89 oil change, a free 25 point check (see below) and a free brake inspection service. What does a Service A buy me other than turning off the notification that service is due? I had a BMW, so this "pay for service" is new to me ... Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

25-Point Vehicle Systems Check
ENSURE PEAK OPERATING EFFICIENCY FREE!
PROFESSIONAL EVALUATION OF VITAL SYSTEMS!
Brake condition/fluid
Tire condition/air pressure
Engine drive belts
Transmission fluid
Fluids
Radiator coolant/hoses
Washer fluid/wiper blades
Suspension/steering
All exterior lighting
Old 10-20-2011, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 423 Likes on 349 Posts
MB’s
Find a Mercedes indi shop near you. It will be much cheaper then the dealer. You are correct its alot of checks and a oil change but still its worth having done or doing it yourself.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:50 PM
MCF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
U can afford a $100k but complaining about Service A? Wait till you need brakes. Hehehehe.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:02 PM

E350
Originally Posted by GeoE63
Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.
Your post provides all the wisdom you need. Get the oil change and free 25 point inspection.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes e350 BlueTec
I think it kind of hinges on how much you value your warranty. You are certainly not required to have your car serviced by mercedes, but you are required to make sure that the required services are done...and you may need to be able to show that either you have done them, or an independent service person has done them...if there is a warranty claim. If you have service done at a mercedes dealer then, of course, there is a clear record...if not, you could be asked to show all receipts/etc to demonstrate that you did the required service. Likely you will never have a problem....but you need to at least be aware of the risks.

I kind of have to agree that if you're driving an e and you're worried about an extra $100....well you know the rest of the sentence. Just be glad you aren't driving a higher end porsche, ferarri or equivalent.

After the warranty all bets are off....find a good independent....
Old 10-20-2011, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E-350, 2010 GL-450
Most of us can drive MB's because we aren't stupid with our money. Spending $300 on an oil change and "inspections" is being stupid with your money.

My car will get the oil changes, but I won't be augmenting the profit margin on my car to MB.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:03 PM

2006 CLS500 - Iridium Silver w/ AMG Sportline
High priced inspection with an oil change. Pfffffft. And, when you question that dealer, they'll give you the, "Sir, you drive a fine German car, not a Hyundai." like somehow that's suppose to convince me that I need to fork over my hard earned money to let me know that my wiper blades still look good. Aw gee, thanks!

While I won't tear apart a transmission in my garage, I'll sure in the heck do brakes, fuel filters, oil changes, etc... It's not hard, it saves me money and most of all I LIKE to do it.

I'm buying an old Jeep soon to teach my kids basic mechanics so they don't grow up to be metrosexual, helpless men.

Last edited by boschk; 10-20-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
Originally Posted by boschk

While I won't tear apart a transmission in my garage, I'll sure in the heck do brakes, fuel filters, oil changes, etc... It's not hard, it saves me money and most of all I LIKE to do it.

I'm buying an old Jeep soon to teach my kids basic mechanics so they don't grown to be metrosexual, helpless men.
Hear, hear. Good man. Good father. Teaching how to do these things also teaches self reliance and responsibility. I do all my own maintenance as well, at least those MB has not made impossible.

On the lighter side, I have all the parts, can you have your kids come over and change my brakes?
Old 10-20-2011, 11:23 PM

2005 Audi S4 MT6
Any good indy shop can do the oil change and inspection. Heck, forget the inspection, you won't find anything wrong

It's a Mercedes, not a space shuttle. Oil change is the same as on a new corolla. I'm not kidding.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jon2007E63P30
Hear, hear. Good man. Good father. Teaching how to do these things also teaches self reliance and responsibility. I do all my own maintenance as well, at least those MB has not made impossible.

On the lighter side, I have all the parts, can you have your kids come over and change my brakes?
If you were closer, I'd help you for a beer and a handshake. Not sure you want my kids working on your "nice" car. Still a little clueless when it comes to nice, glossy paint & whatnot. Those "ooooopses" are expensive (hence the old jeep)

Last edited by boschk; 10-20-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
If you were closer, I'd help you for a beer and a handshake.
But, but... I'm on the same planet!!
Old 10-20-2011, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jon2007E63P30
But, but... I'm on the same planet!!
Vegas, sad to say.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:46 PM

Mercedes e350 BlueTec
Here's a twist on this whole subject.

If you leased your mercedes, you could have residualized the cost of the dealer maintenance so you actually only pay a small portion of the full dealer service cost...the same way you pay for any feature on the car. In my case, I'm paying about 25% of the full maintenance cost (24 mo lease) for full mercedes dealer maintenance. I think this might even be cheaper than buying the oil and filters and changing the oil myself...and of course I'd have to change the brake fluid during the B service.

It's one of the secret leasing options and unique to Mercedes leases....unfortunately, it doesn't help those who purchase their cars.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:35 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,400 Likes on 2,845 Posts
2012 CLS63
High priced inspection with an oil change. Pfffffft. And, when you question that dealer, they'll give you the, "Sir, you drive a fine German car, not a Hyundai." like somehow that's suppose to convince me that I need to fork over my hard earned money to let me know that my wiper blades still look good. Aw gee, thanks!

I'm buying an old Jeep soon to teach my kids basic mechanics so they don't grow up to be metrosexual, helpless men.

I have a daughter, but I feel the same way, and the way you put it was great.......there are so many helpless dudes out there! LOL
making the rest of us look bad you know??

well said sir

btw: even my indy shop does V12's for 109 (oil change)
Old 10-21-2011, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Read the Operators Manual!

If you read the Operators Manual carefully you will find many notations where it states if maintenance not done to M-B Service Center (dealership) standards, warranty may be voided.
Do you really want to take a chance? I sure don't.
While primarily just an O&F change, it becomes a warranty issue if not done.
Service "A" on an E350 should be about $200 or less. Of course, your dealer may charge more depending on where you are located and how many extras he places in his waiting area. Also whether or not, it offers a loaner.
From my experiences thus far with MBUSA, no way would I give them any reason at all to question a warranty issue.
Used to work on my cars, but then I decided I had better things to do with my time. It all comes down to personal choices. No one is right or wrong or stupid or smart on DIY or not.
BTW, it you are that much into saving money, get a Chevy or a Hyundai, not an M-B, in the first place.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:43 AM

2011 E-350, 2010 GL-450
Originally Posted by El Cid
If you read the Operators Manual carefully you will find many notations where it states if maintenance not done to M-B Service Center (dealership) standards, warranty may be voided.
Service "A" on an E350 should be about $200 or less. Of course, your dealer may charge more depending on where you are located and how many extras he places in his waiting area. Also whether or not, it offers a loaner.
From my experiences thus far with MBUSA, no way would I give them any reason at all to question a warranty issue.
Used to work on my cars, but then I decided I had better things to do with my time. It all comes down to personal choices. No one is right or wrong or stupid or smart on DIY or not.
BTW, it you are that much into saving money, get a Chevy or a Hyundai, not an M-B, in the first place.

Congratulations, you have fallen for the scare tactics. I appreciate your blind willingness to be bent over and screwed. I also appreciate that it's people like you that allow my MB dealership to serve some tasty gourmet coffees in the customer lounge

Do what makes you feel comfortable, but don't fall for the BS about voiding your warranty. You do know it's actually AGAINST THE LAW for a manufacturer to void out a warranty as long as you have maintained the car, right? Even if you did not maintain the car and something goes wrong, the MFGR must prove that the failed part failed becuase of lack of maintenance. For example, if your stereo goes out, they cant refuse to replace it because you did not do an oil change at 10,000 miles.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:12 PM

Mercedes e350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by Mr Snappy
Congratulations, you have fallen for the scare tactics. I appreciate your blind willingness to be bent over and screwed. I also appreciate that it's people like you that allow my MB dealership to serve some tasty gourmet coffees in the customer lounge

Do what makes you feel comfortable, but don't fall for the BS about voiding your warranty. You do know it's actually AGAINST THE LAW for a manufacturer to void out a warranty as long as you have maintained the car, right? Even if you did not maintain the car and something goes wrong, the MFGR must prove that the failed part failed becuase of lack of maintenance. For example, if your stereo goes out, they cant refuse to replace it because you did not do an oil change at 10,000 miles.
Inspections (if actually done) can find some problems early that if not fixed can cause warranty claims or perhaps even worse, your being stranded somewhere. It's a bit like having a physical with your doctor....the vast majority of the time, there is nothing found...but that one time can make a difference. Personally, I get a physical every year, but you may decide to save money by doing your own physicals or not having them...that's your choice.

You are certainly correct, the manufacturer has to show that your lack of inspection or maintenance is related to the failing part....but they don't have to prove that your use of the wrong oil or failure to change the oil as required caused the specific problem with the engine internals....they have to show that it may have caused the problem. Of course, this could be challenged in court...we are a litigious society so any disagreement results in a suit these days.

In any case, this has become a silly discussion.....if you want to have your car serviced in your own garage, with an independent service facility or with Mercedes is your choice based on whatever you feel is important. You know what mercedes says in their manuals and contracts, so make your choice.....and if you have a problem, then deal with it because it was your choice.

For me, it was easy. I lease so I am paying less than any of your options
Old 10-21-2011, 12:54 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
true if you lease.....you have nothing when it's over.....

us buyers? we'll have a car we can truly call own our!
Old 10-21-2011, 01:31 PM

Mercedes e350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by hyperion667
true if you lease.....you have nothing when it's over.....

us buyers? we'll have a car we can truly call own our!
That's not actually true....when my lease is over, I still have $45000 in the bank and no (financing) loan You have a car you can call your own in which you have either tied up $60K or you have an outstanding loan still to pay off.

There are lots of good reasons to lease and lots of good reasons to purchase. Being able to say "this is truly my own car" is not a good reason to purchase rather than lease....although I guess maybe it can be important to your ego. I pay mercedes finance monthly for the car and at the end of two years, I get to buy something new and different.....vs....you pay your bank (or finance company) so much per month for the car and it will be worth something whenever you decide to sell it. Not really all that much difference. It's a financial decision, not an "ownership" decision.

Last edited by ghstudio; 10-21-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by El Cid
I've made a number of warranty claims over the years, two exceeding 3 grand and no issues. If they can prove that my harmonic balance exploding was b/c I changed my own oil, I'll happily write a check. r
Old 10-21-2011, 02:24 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by ghstudio
That's not actually true....when my lease is over, I still have $45000 in the bank and no (financing) loan You have a car you can call your own in which you have either tied up $60K or you have an outstanding loan still to pay off.

There are lots of good reasons to lease and lots of good reasons to purchase. Being able to say "this is truly my own car" is not a good reason to purchase rather than lease....although I guess maybe it can be important to your ego. I pay mercedes finance monthly for the car and at the end of two years, I get to buy something new and different.....vs....you pay your bank (or finance company) so much per month for the car and it will be worth something whenever you decide to sell it. Not really all that much difference. It's a financial decision, not an "ownership" decision.

I see what you're saying.....
ego may have a roleLOL

I just like to NOT play the bank game, the finance game, and be able to either, A) sell my own car or B) trade it for something in the future
I also 'own' my house and not the bank......
the bank works for melol

keep rockin'
Old 10-21-2011, 04:26 PM

Titleist
Back to the OP's original question, "Service A - Why should I?." I suggest a different twist, "Service A - Why shouldn't I?"

The only likely reason not to do it is to save a relatively small sum of money, that being the cost differential of the service A (which includes the oil change) over the cost of just an oil change. That upcharge is small.

The reasons to do could be several, such as the inspection catching even a small item that may cause you to return to the dealer or other service provider to address later. That item might be covered under warranty, but the inconvenience and time factor are costs, too.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:22 PM

E350
Originally Posted by golfster
"Service A - Why shouldn't I?"

The only likely reason not to do it is to save a relatively small sum of money, that being the cost differential of the service A (which includes the oil change) over the cost of just an oil change. That upcharge is small.

Well..."a relatively small sum of money" at my dealer was an additional $200 over just the oil change. I'm taking my wife out tomorrow night for a nice dinner and I'm guessing it will be under "2 Bills" even with a nice bottle of wine - and after I tip the valet $10 to park my car.

Bottom line - do whatever you feel comfortable with.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:23 PM
MCF

E350
My MB service A cost me $230. To get my oil changed on my 2007 Chevy Tahoe with synthetic oil at Mr. Car Wash cost me $100. $130 more at the MB dealer for a 2011 E seems worth it.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:38 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W211 E320 & W212 E550
Originally Posted by hyperion667
I see what you're saying.....
ego may have a roleLOL

I just like to NOT play the bank game, the finance game, and be able to either, A) sell my own car or B) trade it for something in the future
I also 'own' my house and not the bank......
the bank works for melol

keep rockin'
Amen brother!!! I wouldn't rent my home and I'm sure not renting my car(s). There's nothing like owning your car(s) and home outright (payed in full) with no bank control. Most people's lives are controlled by banks, interest rates, limitations and restrictions and on and on, I've been there. The control is in my hands, not theirs. People hopefully sit down and figure how much annual interest they pay the banks on their loans. I couldn't live that way just to have something I can't afford and enjoy now. It's one of the hardest things to do initially to pay cash for the items you buy but then you can afford sooo much more.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Service A -- why should I?