Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W212)
What is 0-60 for E550 >

What is 0-60 for E550

Notices
E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

What is 0-60 for E550

 
Old 11-05-2011, 05:13 PM
  #1  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Dema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: California
Posts: 2,677
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i535
What is 0-60 for E550

Just spotted 550I and like it, so it is hard decision between 550i and E550. Accordingly BMW 0-60 for 550i is 5.0, it looks quite conservative for me, so what is value for E550? I use to drive fast car I want to stay on 4.8 sec at least.
Dema is offline  
Old 11-05-2011, 05:23 PM
  #2  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Loony left coast
Posts: 82
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by Dema View Post
Just spotted 550I and like it, so it is hard decision between 550i and E550. Accordingly BMW 0-60 for 550i is 5.0, it looks quite conservative for me, so what is value for E550? I use to drive fast car I want to stay on 4.8 sec at least.
I haven't seen any published figures yet, but the CLS 550 with the same twin-turbo motor does 0-60 in the mid to high 4's and with the E550 being a bit lighter, I'd think mid 4's would be reasonable. I'll let you know as soon as I get my E550 coupe in December. (Should be on the boat right now). I did drive a '12 CLS before ordering my E and it was a monster. (and no it wasn't an AMG)
1 MB is offline  
Old 11-05-2011, 05:40 PM
  #3  
Super Member
 
RobbieRob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 967
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
18'Porsche GT3, 16' Ram 3500 mega diesel,30' Model A Ratrod, 17' E43
Car and Driver magazine advertises 4.6 to 60mph, and 13.1 in 1/4 mile for the E-550 with the old motor, 5.5L.
RobbieRob is offline  
Old 11-05-2011, 06:28 PM
  #4  
Gsc
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 451
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 S550, 2014 Porsche Turbo S, 2013 Bentley GT Speed W12
R u buying a car based on a 0-60 test? LMAO
Gsc is offline  
Old 11-05-2011, 06:48 PM
  #5  
K-A
Out Of Control!!
 
K-A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,557
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by Gsc View Post
R u buying a car based on a 0-60 test? LMAO
Lol. This question cracked me up as well. To play along I guess....

I'm assuming they're similar, with the E550 probably edging it out due to being lighter, having a slight bit more displacement, and a bit more Torque if I'm not mistaken.
K-A is offline  
Old 11-05-2011, 07:46 PM
  #6  
Super Member
 
RobbieRob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 967
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
18'Porsche GT3, 16' Ram 3500 mega diesel,30' Model A Ratrod, 17' E43
The E has more HP, the Bmw has more torque,, on the new motors. 402/443 to 400/450
RobbieRob is offline  
Old 11-05-2011, 08:07 PM
  #7  
Out Of Control!!
 
hyperion667's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 21,631
Received 735 Likes on 712 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Lol. This question cracked me up as well. To play along I guess....

I'm assuming they're similar, with the E550 probably edging it out due to being lighter, having a slight bit more displacement, and a bit more Torque if I'm not mistaken.
+3...........

and plus bmw's are lame, haha....
buy Mercedes!
hyperion667 is online now  
Old 11-05-2011, 10:48 PM
  #8  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
SolidGranite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,043
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E550 4Matic, 2002 M3 Vert
Nothing wrong with this question... He's coming from a fast vehicle and wants to stay in the same range. I'm sure it's not the only attribute he cares about when buying a new car. Good luck in your search!
SolidGranite is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 03:34 AM
  #9  
Super Member
 
RobbieRob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 967
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
18'Porsche GT3, 16' Ram 3500 mega diesel,30' Model A Ratrod, 17' E43
Originally Posted by SolidGranite View Post
Nothing wrong with this question... He's coming from a fast vehicle and wants to stay in the same range. I'm sure it's not the only attribute he cares about when buying a new car. Good luck in your search!

I agree, thats why I didn't get a 350. Its nice to have a 4 door sedan with *****....
RobbieRob is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 06:04 AM
  #10  
Out Of Control!!
 
hyperion667's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 21,631
Received 735 Likes on 712 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by RobbieRob View Post
I agree, thats why I didn't get a 350. Its nice to have a 4 door sedan with *****....
+1
the 268 is amazingly unpowerful!!
hyperion667 is online now  
Old 11-06-2011, 07:05 AM
  #11  
K-A
Out Of Control!!
 
K-A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,557
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
If statistics and HP numbers didn't exist, it would be interesting to see who actually can notice how much extra "tenths" or HP cars have (hence HP wars being more couch-racing or statistic bragging for most) over each other.

For example, I'm driving a Rental Civic right now, and I have no idea the HP, but assume it's like 140 or so, and this little sh*t's pretty zippy. If no one ever told me the HP stat or inevitably terrible 0-60 time, I wouldn't think of it as some slow snail of a car. The Tranny has it in the right powerband (VTEC YO!) seemingly at all times. If you tap the gas too hard, the car will even have a discomforting "jolt", and I can chirp the peg-leg FWD tire too.

For extreme comparisons sake, my friends GTR, which I've driven, at low RPM's, and around town, is actually kinda sorta sluggish.... A true "beast within, but he won't come out unless you unleash him" situation. If I drove my friends GTR around and kept it under 70 with no acceleration spurts, and considering I don't floor it anywhere or street race, I would never know the HP number or assume that it's such a beast, if no one told me.

Day to day, and with calmed driving manners, I'll say it again, there isn't such a notable difference between the N/A E550 and 268 HP E350. I've driven both, back to back, many many times, and unless I push them in ways I wouldn't in "real life", I'd be hard pressed to notice such a difference. Both have adequate enough torque and power to allow for smooth acceleration, without an engine winding up to absurd noise levels. The V8, more so than power, is mostly notable for that extra bit of smoothness. Now, driving a CLS55 AMG, that was a night and day difference from the get-go, an absolute aggressive demeanor right from the start, and you don't have to really push it to know that there's beast within.

Things that make you go "hmm", ya know?

Last edited by K-A; 11-06-2011 at 07:14 AM.
K-A is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 07:08 AM
  #12  
Out Of Control!!
 
hyperion667's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 21,631
Received 735 Likes on 712 Posts
2012 CLS63
wasn't vtec first for Acura??
don't knock the tec man!!!! LOL
hyperion667 is online now  
Old 11-06-2011, 07:16 AM
  #13  
K-A
Out Of Control!!
 
K-A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,557
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
LOL. I'm a believer! I dunno who had it first, but Honda/Acura obviously share it.

Once this little 4-buzzer gets into VTech zone, all bets are off! Actually, to be serious, like I said earlier, I don't know how slowly it's moving to speed, but when it gets in that VTECH zone, it actually scoots pretty well, and feels alright. If HP numbers and mag tests didn't exist, I'd probably think it was a pretty fast car. Lol.
K-A is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 08:17 AM
  #14  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 2,184
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E550 Sedan
Originally Posted by SolidGranite View Post
Nothing wrong with this question... He's coming from a fast vehicle and wants to stay in the same range. I'm sure it's not the only attribute he cares about when buying a new car. Good luck in your search!
Yep. I had a SLK350 for 5 years and test drove the E350 as both were the same HP rating. I thought 800 pounds shouldn't affect it too much. Then I test drove the E550 and I was sold.
Tai230K is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 08:39 AM
  #15  
Super Member
 
RNBRAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 753
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
W211 E320 & W212 E550
Yea the 550 is very smooth, I mean like electric motor smooth and very poised and calm but when you mash down on the gas, your like "holy crap". It's quite a beast but driving it normal you would have absolutely no clue that it has this capability. Problem is these cars have too much power for the tires they use. It's hard to tap into all the power at low speeds cause all you have is wheel spin or the traction control engages. If someone put some drag slicks on the car and disengages the traction control, I'm sure the 550 could do upper 4's 0-60. Don't see it happening on stock rubber though. Also these 550's come to life after about 1000 mile break in, so if your test driving a dealer car with low miles, there will be a noticeable difference when the motor breaks in.
RNBRAD is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 09:18 AM
  #16  
Out Of Control!!
 
hyperion667's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 21,631
Received 735 Likes on 712 Posts
2012 CLS63
E550!!!!

good summary RNBRAD
hyperion667 is online now  
Old 11-06-2011, 11:02 AM
  #17  
Junior Member
 
e550 87ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NJ/PA
Posts: 49
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63, E90
I like having a faster car because I find it safer... In tight situation where you need power a slow car becomes rather dangerous and you have to time out when you can make a lane change, merge, or turn... In the city or traffic it really doesn't matter, but not many people who buy fast cars use them primarily in the city...

HPFP for the 550 if it's the the turbo version, I believe the older ones were N/A... Reliability issue... Not a big fan of turbo engines as far as reliability and maintenance, that's why all but one of my cars are n/a (maintenance and reliability is offset by the gains of a simple tune). Tough call, spend some time in both cars...
e550 87ss is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 11:18 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 378
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
335i
Originally Posted by Tai230K View Post
Yep. I had a SLK350 for 5 years and test drove the E350 as both were the same HP rating. I thought 800 pounds shouldn't affect it too much. Then I test drove the E550 and I was sold.
What year was it? I know that the previous SLK350 (not sure if this was the facelifted version) was rated at 300-odd horses without the direct injection in the newer V6.
02Drunkenup is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 11:49 AM
  #19  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
SolidGranite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,043
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E550 4Matic, 2002 M3 Vert
No chance I would ever trade my 550 in for a 6 cylinder because unfortunately I am completely spoiled. I also agree that having 391lbs of torque is comforting in tight situations when some moron needs to be passed quickly. Although I do know for a fact 300hp out of a 6-banger is plenty adequate as well. But who wants adequate?? I want excessive!! Also, all that reserve power is a must when there are 4 or 5 people in the car.
SolidGranite is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 12:07 PM
  #20  
Super Member
 
park423's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 530
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'14 ML350 GONE-'12 GL450/'10 E550/'10 ML350/'09 C300/'07 ML350/'03 E320
no noticeable difference in daily driving between E350 and E550, have to completely disagree with that, almost laughable statement, unless you drive like a overly cautious uninsured motorist who's afraid to get into an accident or a ticket or driving to maintain a high MPG. 0-40 from a stoplight, passing ability and routinely driving on the freeway between 70-80 is pretty much daily driving for me and the V8 is marvelous, along with the effortless power delivery and smoothness, then put the car in sport mode at it feels like it lurching forward, almost scary when flooring it. In comparison, I also drive my wife's ML350 alot which is the same motor as the E350, I know not the same car but nevertheless, not too far off in dimensions and that car just feels like it straining under moderate acceleration.

I drove the E350 many times before getting the E550 and basically felt the same way, just felt underpowered, which is fine for basic daily driving or if I had an M3 in the garage for weekends, but when compared to a 535i, GS350, M37, you are getting shortchanged in the power department. Basically told my sales guy (who I already got 4 cars from) I plan on going for the 535i, he then offered me a deal I couldn't refuse on an E550 that was on the lot for a few months and could not be happier.

Last edited by park423; 11-06-2011 at 12:13 PM.
park423 is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 01:37 PM
  #21  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Placitas, NM
Posts: 576
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
E550
Try a steep up-hill on-ramp to a 75MPH Interstate, and you'll believe in the 550!
Live Oak is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 02:51 PM
  #22  
Out Of Control!!
 
hyperion667's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 21,631
Received 735 Likes on 712 Posts
2012 CLS63
no difference? hmmmmm.....
the difference is power! muh hahahaha!!

also a good point about passengers, and the extra weight.....(solid granite)
that would really suck with a loaded car.......shew........

and also very true (live oak) about going up anything........not an issue
hyperion667 is online now  
Old 11-06-2011, 04:05 PM
  #23  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 908
Likes: 0
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
I initially had the e350 for a few weeks last December before trading it back in for the e550. I can appreciate what KA is saying about the adequate power of the e350. I actually think that it is a very good engine and is overly maligned by many on this forum. It has a good power to torque ratio and moves quite nicely when you step on it. That said, the e550 engine has meaningfully more effortless power at every range. End of story. Regards. Ned.
ngerstman is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 06:48 PM
  #24  
K-A
Out Of Control!!
 
K-A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,557
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by e550 87ss View Post
I like having a faster car because I find it safer... In tight situation where you need power a slow car becomes rather dangerous and you have to time out when you can make a lane change, merge, or turn... In the city or traffic it really doesn't matter, but not many people who buy fast cars use them primarily in the city...
That statement always cracks me up. I'd understand if we were talking about 120 HP 3500 lb cars, but c'mon now, 270 HP isn't a "safety hazard". We must have been living on the edge in the 90's then, eh?

Originally Posted by SolidGranite View Post
No chance I would ever trade my 550 in for a 6 cylinder because unfortunately I am completely spoiled. I also agree that having 391lbs of torque is comforting in tight situations when some moron needs to be passed quickly. Although I do know for a fact 300hp out of a 6-banger is plenty adequate as well. But who wants adequate?? I want excessive!! Also, all that reserve power is a must when there are 4 or 5 people in the car.
I agree, when you're spoiled with the extra power, you can't go back indeed.

Originally Posted by park423 View Post
no noticeable difference in daily driving between E350 and E550, have to completely disagree with that, almost laughable statement, unless you drive like a overly cautious uninsured motorist who's afraid to get into an accident or a ticket or driving to maintain a high MPG. 0-40 from a stoplight, passing ability and routinely driving on the freeway between 70-80 is pretty much daily driving for me and the V8 is marvelous, along with the effortless power delivery and smoothness, then put the car in sport mode at it feels like it lurching forward, almost scary when flooring it. In comparison, I also drive my wife's ML350 alot which is the same motor as the E350, I know not the same car but nevertheless, not too far off in dimensions and that car just feels like it straining under moderate acceleration.

I drove the E350 many times before getting the E550 and basically felt the same way, just felt underpowered, which is fine for basic daily driving or if I had an M3 in the garage for weekends, but when compared to a 535i, GS350, M37, you are getting shortchanged in the power department. Basically told my sales guy (who I already got 4 cars from) I plan on going for the 535i, he then offered me a deal I couldn't refuse on an E550 that was on the lot for a few months and could not be happier.
You read that exactly right: I didn't notice such a difference with my driving style. Now, when I floored it, yes, I noticed, but I've never floored my E on the roads. Hell, I might have taken it to redline just once. Most of my driving is under 2500 RPM's, I just drive the car chill, and if I want to be a little aggressive, the 268 HP is enough to get me into trouble fast enough (375 would just get me in trouble faster). With my style of normal driving, I didn't notice a big difference, in fact, how could I? Do you think the extra 100 HP is on tap at every RPM throughout the powerband?

I agree that once you start getting aggressive, and start calling for more horses, yes, of course you'll realize how much more there really are in the V8, but that's not what I (personally) bought my E-Class for (I woulda just got the E63 W211 next to it which would have cost me less ), hence my driving them "realistically" back to back, and not noticing a giant real-world difference. The V8 smoothness is DEFINITELY the most important and noticeable case though, however, the 3.5 is actually extremely well done and close in that regard as well, kind of like a "baby 5.5L".

Originally Posted by ngerstman View Post
I initially had the e350 for a few weeks last December before trading it back in for the e550. I can appreciate what KA is saying about the adequate power of the e350. I actually think that it is a very good engine and is overly maligned by many on this forum. It has a good power to torque ratio and moves quite nicely when you step on it. That said, the e550 engine has meaningfully more effortless power at every range. End of story. Regards. Ned.
Very sensible statement, bravo sir!

It's all about "what you desire". Some of the statements here regarding power remind me of the Camaro/Mustang boards.... Only, they get more power, at a much lesser price (without creature comforts, of course). Funnily enough, I know many people (in real life) who are proclaimed power junkies, but drive more Grannily than I do, and never use the beasts under their hoods, but like to brag about the power all the time. Easy case there.

Last edited by K-A; 11-06-2011 at 06:51 PM.
K-A is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 08:11 PM
  #25  
Junior Member
 
e550 87ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NJ/PA
Posts: 49
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63, E90
K-A there are still a lot of slow cars out there... I said in tight situations it becomes dangerous not all the time... I had a car spin out in front of me and begin to come back towards me; I didn't have enough time or distance to brake so I accelerated. I also had a semi merge over the white lines as to not miss the exit and again if I didn't have the extra power he would have hit me and taken my roof off. It's just like having added braking power in situations that call for it, you can stop shorter... A car with better handling can out maneuver an obstacle on road better... A slower car would not have cut it in the above situations... Especially if you have passengers... More is always better in my opinion until it becomes excessive.
e550 87ss is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What is 0-60 for E550


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: