E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

2012 E350 4Matic Wagon -NTG 4.5 Comand Question about SD Card

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 E350 4Matic Sport Wagon
2012 E350 4Matic Wagon -NTG 4.5 Comand Question about SD Card

I have a 2012 E350 4Matic Wagon on order, due in March (very excited). I ordered the P1 package and I see it includes the newest NTG 4.5 Comand unit. Included is an SD Card slot (instead of the PCMCIA on 2011 and older cars, so an adapter is no longer needed).

My question is, what size and "speed" SD and/or SDHC can you use in this slot for music? I also see you can use non-protected (non-DRM) Apple iTunes AAC files (m4a files), which is very nice. I know 2011 and older cars had a 2 GB limit with the PCMCIA to SD Card adapter.

So, what brand/size/speed SD cards are other 2012 E-Class owners using?

Additionally, can you plug an iPhone or iPod directly into the USB slot using the Apple-supplied white sync cable and will it charge the iPhone/iPod? I know you can use the included media interface cable to control an iPod.

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:40 AM

E550 4matic Tenorite (Steel) Grey
I have a 32GB Transcend Class 10 SDHC in mine, works fine. Doubt that it needs to be this fast, but there really aren't that many cards of this size which are slower. Besides, it great to have a spare card for my camera always in the car. Don't pay full price for them, they are frequently on sale on amazon or newegg.

(http://www.amazon.ca/Transcend-Class...5&sr=8-1-spell)
Old 01-18-2012, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by mrnoorde
Additionally, can you plug an iPhone or iPod directly into the USB slot using the Apple-supplied white sync cable and will it charge the iPhone/iPod? I know you can use the included media interface cable to control an iPod.

Thanks for your help.
On mine you can plug it in, but it won't do any good, won't see it, won't charge it.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:18 AM

Thanks ColdCanuk.

-So, you have a 2012 model year E-Class with an SD Card slot in the Comand unit (no PCMCIA adapter needed)? I've read that 2011 and older cars with the adapter setup have a 2 GB or so limit.

-Do you have all your music setup in folders by album on the SD Card and all is organized nicely in your car through Comand by artist, etc? You just drag/drop the music on your computer onto the SD Card and then plug it into the car?

-Yes, I was hoping the USB port would charge an iPhone as I'll likely keep an iPod plugged in with the media adapter for music (in addition to the SD Card setup). On newer BMW models, you just need to plug in your standard white Apple cable into the USB port and you're sorted.

Thanks.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:41 AM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)
I plug my iPod and iTouch on the interface card and it works flawlessly. I can easily see all my playlists, music, artists and easily control my music from the plugged Apple device using the COMAND. I understand from my daughter that her iTouch is charged whenever she plugs it into the interface but I have to reconfirm if that is correct.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:46 AM

Thanks ColdCanuk.

-So, you have a 2012 model year E-Class with an SD Card slot in the Comand unit (no PCMCIA adapter needed)? I've read that 2011 and older cars with the adapter setup have a 2 GB or so limit.
2012 E550, SD slot only. The 2GB limit was on the older PCMCIA interface, it was a limitation on the original spec for PCMCIA which was based on IDE disks. The SD spec is based around USB, no such limit with modern firmware like NTG 4.5

I am still experimenting with layout, currently I use Genre - Artist - Album, but the car does not care, after it scans the card the search features are quite good, and it will give a reasonable approximation to Apple's 'Cover Flow'.

Warning: It takes a bit of time to scan a 32 GB card, and it has to scan every time the card is inserted (i.e. it forgets...). It does not have to scan to play, just for the search functions to work. This will become a lot clearer after you play with it for a few minutes.

I'm still tinkering with the format of playlists. When I get that figured out I will write a small program (to run on my mac) to automatically generate playlists and folder structure on the card.

~ Not so cold today +10C in Halifax this AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Paxfobiscum
I plug my iPod and iTouch on the interface card and it works flawlessly. I can easily see all my playlists, music, artists and easily control my music from the plugged Apple device using the COMAND. I understand from my daughter that her iTouch is charged whenever she plugs it into the interface but I have to reconfirm if that is correct.

I think you are talking about the iMedia interface, OP was talking about USB port. Due to a screw up by MB my car does not have the iMedia I/F it was supposed to, so I don't have access to my iDevice playlists. Not a huge deal for me, other's have found it more upsetting (see https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...2012-e550.html)

Last edited by ColdCanuck; 01-18-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
For some reason I think it might be "hit or miss" regarding compatability,at least with the older PCMCIA version (which I have).I have a 32GB SD card (made by HP) that works perfectly in my system.It holds 30+GB of mp3's totalling about 2200 songs.If you have any kind of collection of SD's (like I have) you might be wise to wait until your car's arrival and then load up each one with mp3's (particularly the larger capacity ones) and test them in your car.

Last edited by listerone; 01-18-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:06 AM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)
Originally Posted by ColdCanuck
I think you are talking about the iMedia interface, OP was talking about USB port. Due to a screw up by MB my car does not have the iMedia I/F it was supposed to, so I don't have access to my iDevice playlists. Not a huge deal for me, other's have found it more upsetting (see https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...2012-e550.html)
Oh, I get it. Wow, can't MB fix that for you? I find the interface with my apple devices (using the iMedia I/F) very very convenient.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d

Although that might have been true with some Comand units it's not true with mine.I have a 32GB SD card (with adapter) *and* a 32GB CF card (with adapter) that both work perfectly up to full capacity.That fact could bode well for you in your search for musical bliss.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Paxfobiscum
Oh, I get it. Wow, can't MB fix that for you? I find the interface with my apple devices (using the iMedia I/F) very very convenient.
No they can't, it would be a complex retro fit, pulling the dash and the console to route the cable. Don't need any rattles, thanks.

Not to hijack this thread, but like Busta Riles said, I'm more annoyed by the fact that they changed the bundling after the car was scheduled. If I had known that it was not "bundled" I would have added it to the options list and bought it. This blind-sided my salesman, I don't blame him.

But in the global scheme of things its minor; 32 GB SD cards are a whole lot cheaper than upgrading my 8GB iPod.

Last edited by ColdCanuck; 01-18-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes e350 BlueTec
yes, comand 4.5 will charge your iphone (3 or above) using the USB port in the center console. I do it all the time because i prefer my phone in the cup holder rather than in the center console...and the provided iphone cable is just too short.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:44 PM

Thanks for all the good input. Nice on a 2012 with NTG 4.5 that I can use a large capacity SD card without and adapter for music and the USB should charge my iPhone.