E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

New Lexus GS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 10:50 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W211 E320 & W212 E550
Speaking of interior plastics, I do have to say that Lexus, Toyota, Honda, can make a car that does not rattle at all, but one thing I have noticed in my Toys and Honda's as well as my buddies Lexus, something interior wise is always breaking or broken. The interior plastics are so cheap they do not hold up top years of abuse. They need to make the interiors stand up to abuse like the exteriors. Maybe the plastics are so light and flimsy they can't rattle, lol.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Mercedes E350 RWD, 1999 Olds Alero
The new GS looks too much like the new camry from the back. The car and driver 3 car side by side review is a disguised lexus advertisment. It puts the E350 in a bad light and may persuade simple minds to buy the GS.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Lexus did a good job copying European cars, so far it is the best interior surpassing even Audi, and no question, the interior was copied from E class. The car outperforms E and 535 but still behind of A6. Sure it will beat 535 in corners. So why we all do not trade in our cars for GS? There are several reasons, first GS doesn’t have v8 engine, so E550 will beat it. GS exterior is questionable (did I say that interior is the best?). And finally lease rates for it are too high, you can lease E350 (worse car anyway), but much cheaper, something like $200 less a month for same other conditions. So will I jump in it after my E350 lease end? Sure I will consider if they really did good job of copying European cars and support Unicode in navigation, but more likely I will lease Equus, just saw one in person today and fell in it. It is something guys I can tell you. Yes, it has crappy badge, but I am not badge *****.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Originally Posted by jerome8283
What do you guys think of this...

http://www.lexus.com/GS-2013/
This guy wants flaming, but no way, we are not idiots. Go away.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:13 AM

11 E350 4M
Originally Posted by K-A
Yup. I had the same realization. Side by side pictures/viewings are always the best truth.

I'm driving an '08 Lexus ES around right now, and it's an absolute POS. I'm talking, absolute POS. Horrible driving feel, almost unsafe feeling, not even as quiet as you'd expect, not so refined, uncomfortable seats, makes you feel sick, wallow-y steering and suspension, not hot styling, bland interior, etc. etc. Lexus has apparently made strides to fix stuff like this with the new GS (I realize the GS is a place above the ES), but the styling aspect is still there, and I gotta drive it to see just how "non Lexus" it feels.
I have to disgree KA. My wife drives an 08 ES and while its not E quality it rides great. Seats are very comfortable, ride is smooth and styling isnt that bad - certainly not horrible. My biggest complaint about the car is *will you survive a collision*. It is not built E350 tough.

However my old GS was a rattle trap!! I can't wait to drive the new GS450h.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Lexus LS 400, 2008 BMW 528i, 2014 e250 BlueTec
Very interesting comments from all you guys. I say they are expert comments. What I think with Lexus is that they are trying everything they can to upgrade Lexus image but people now look at it as just another same Lexus. Lexus just lost the punch and catch they used to have. Reliability wise it is second none, I believe.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:06 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by ghstudio
seeing them side by side, the Lexus is just ugly, IMHO.
HUGE plus one!
thang looks like Hyndaiand that's no compliment
Old 02-11-2012, 09:36 AM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
GLS450
Originally Posted by Dema
This guy wants flaming, but no way, we are not idiots. Go away.
Not at all my friend. I saw the new GS and wanted to see what others thought of it that's all. If I was without a car or E350 then I could be looking for a flame. We are all car enthusiasts (I would think) so looking at the competition is something we do.

Comment on the car or move on.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:03 AM

2012 C300 4Matic Sport, 2010 E350 4Matic Sport
Thought it was the new IS

Truthfully when I saw the new commercial I thought (from the body) it was the new IS. If this was the IS I would be impressed but to replace the GS?! No way. The Lincoln navigator And the Lexus GS are two cars that after their most recent remodeling have gone downhill.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 AMG edition 1
I cant help but feel like it looks like a Kia Optima? Which isnt exactly a bad thing...nothing compares to the look of the E class though
Old 02-11-2012, 10:53 AM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
GLS450
Originally Posted by AlexIken
Truthfully when I saw the new commercial I thought (from the body) it was the new IS. If this was the IS I would be impressed but to replace the GS?! No way. The Lincoln navigator And the Lexus GS are two cars that after their most recent remodeling have gone downhill.
I thought it was an IS too!
Old 02-11-2012, 01:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1969 280S, 1991 300E
For a minute, i thought it looked pretty good....and then the grille design caught my eye.

Regardless, even if it did "look" good, i have no desire to test drive one.

I'd rather drive a pre-owned German car than a brand new Japanese car. No exceptions.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:09 PM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
18'Porsche GT3, 16' Ram 3500 mega diesel,30' Model A Ratrod, 17' E43
Originally Posted by hyperion667
HUGE plus one!
thang looks like Hyndaiand that's no compliment
Hype, in that picture that KA put up on the side by side, that is a M spec BMW and a non sport GS. I think the GS sport doesn't look that bad, but the one in the picture next to the BMW is awful... I just hate the fact that when the full comparrison comes out in a magazine with the GS, A6, 535, and the E350(maybe even the Infinity and Jag XF also), that the MB will not look good compared to the others(weight, hp ,tq, brakes, electronics, and performance), other than for safety and quality. MB needs to step up their motors to be a class leader, or even in the middle, but not at the back and a full second off the pace. And when it comes to our interriors,IMO, I think they are boring, clean, simple and classy, but boring with no wow factor. Even though I own a 550(and I love it), I still want the E to dominate across the board, and it never does. Just my .02
Old 02-11-2012, 04:37 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
I know what you mean about the insides of our cars, they are a bit dull, but that
makes me think it will age just as well as other more futuristic cars with the bubbly
intieriors....

and it looks like some heavy guy came and sat on the hood of that lexus
and they just went with it......
Old 02-11-2012, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
04 CL55 (sold), 2012 CLS550 (sold), 2014 S550 (sold), 2015 ES300H (DAILY)
I saw one the other day at my friends lighting shop and IMO, it's pretty fugly....
Attached Thumbnails New Lexus GS?-___________.jpg  
Old 02-11-2012, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
Originally Posted by K-A
EXACTLY! I've seen and sat in the car. The exterior is normal Japanese Sedan, painfully dull and uneventful.... however, fine and clean and simple (not a bad thing, could actually be a very good thing, but doesn't stir my senses in this particular case). The rear is very plain and non-dynamic. Then the front.... goes for a Darth Vader meets Samurai look, and it looks totally off and non-cohesive, desperate, and just goofily terrible. IMO, the car has no "sex appeal", but should make a fine driving Sedan indeed.

Here's the new one next to a 5er with M-Pack. No contest:
well, both the car and brand definitely has some "sex appeal" but that really depends on the age group .

in all fairness, there is a big price difference between a m-pack f10 550 and a non-sport g350 but even if they put a gs f sport next to a m-pack 5er, there is still no contest .

Originally Posted by RNBRAD
Speaking of interior plastics, I do have to say that Lexus, Toyota, Honda, can make a car that does not rattle at all, but one thing I have noticed in my Toys and Honda's as well as my buddies Lexus, something interior wise is always breaking or broken. The interior plastics are so cheap they do not hold up top years of abuse. They need to make the interiors stand up to abuse like the exteriors. Maybe the plastics are so light and flimsy they can't rattle, lol.
agree. even their leather seats are way worse .

Originally Posted by paulkchoi
The new GS looks too much like the new camry from the back. The car and driver 3 car side by side review is a disguised lexus advertisment. It puts the E350 in a bad light and may persuade simple minds to buy the GS.
right, the front is bad but the back is worse .

Originally Posted by Raymond Lee
Very interesting comments from all you guys. I say they are expert comments. What I think with Lexus is that they are trying everything they can to upgrade Lexus image but people now look at it as just another same Lexus. Lexus just lost the punch and catch they used to have. Reliability wise it is second none, I believe.
how often have you heard people will look at a non-modded lexus? let alone look at it twice. i think both hyundai and kia are doing a better job than lexus nowadays.

Originally Posted by Busta Riles
For a minute, i thought it looked pretty good....and then the grille design caught my eye.

Regardless, even if it did "look" good, i have no desire to test drive one.

I'd rather drive a pre-owned German car than a brand new Japanese car. No exceptions.
+1. for $50k+, i can find a late model year bmw/benz/audi with low mileages fairly easy.

Originally Posted by RobbieRob
Hype, in that picture that KA put up on the side by side, that is a M spec BMW and a non sport GS. I think the GS sport doesn't look that bad, but the one in the picture next to the BMW is awful... I just hate the fact that when the full comparrison comes out in a magazine with the GS, A6, 535, and the E350(maybe even the Infinity and Jag XF also), that the MB will not look good compared to the others(weight, hp ,tq, brakes, electronics, and performance), other than for safety and quality. MB needs to step up their motors to be a class leader, or even in the middle, but not at the back and a full second off the pace. And when it comes to our interriors,IMO, I think they are boring, clean, simple and classy, but boring with no wow factor. Even though I own a 550(and I love it), I still want the E to dominate across the board, and it never does. Just my .02
i think mercedes don't care performance on their regular line-ups as much as their competitors. i think they are after luxurious more. it makes the amg guys that much more special especially after they drop that much more on the cars.

as for dull and boring interiors, i think not too many companies can beat bmw in this category if you are comparing the same class. that's one of the main reasons why i switched from them to mercedes.

Originally Posted by danlnyc
I saw one the other day at my friends lighting shop and IMO, it's pretty fugly....
get used to it. they'll use the same/similar grille to all their cars from this point on .
Old 02-11-2012, 07:34 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by hyperion667
I know what you mean about the insides of our cars, they are a bit dull, but that
makes me think it will age just as well as other more futuristic cars with the bubbly
intieriors....
Exactly!

M-B's and E's NEVER win these Comparison Tests. You don't buy an M-B because it looks better on paper.... because statistically it never does. But to this day, the E is still the segment best seller, the king of the Class, and just mixes all its elements together so that it "Feels like a Benz", which means that it feels like no other car (as long as they execute it right).

There's that M-B quality that you expect them to uphold, a timeless and classy "old-world" panache mixed with a design cunning and modern enough to mix both in a way that keeps the car looking better than the competition in the future. Also, styling, which I feel the E has a long and huge gap ahead of the competition.

Me, I don't buy HP, or tech, or gadgets. I buy the product that inspires me and that I can feel I can own for decades if I want to. I also buy what has that substantial, solid and refined drive. So I don't read comparison tests usually (I do my own ).
Old 02-12-2012, 10:04 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
Originally Posted by K-A
Exactly!

M-B's and E's NEVER win these Comparison Tests. You don't buy an M-B because it looks better on paper.... because statistically it never does. But to this day, the E is still the segment best seller, the king of the Class, and just mixes all its elements together so that it "Feels like a Benz", which means that it feels like no other car (as long as they execute it right).

There's that M-B quality that you expect them to uphold, a timeless and classy "old-world" panache mixed with a design cunning and modern enough to mix both in a way that keeps the car looking better than the competition in the future. Also, styling, which I feel the E has a long and huge gap ahead of the competition.

Me, I don't buy HP, or tech, or gadgets. I buy the product that inspires me and that I can feel I can own for decades if I want to. I also buy what has that substantial, solid and refined drive. So I don't read comparison tests usually (I do my own ).
I couldn't agree more. Mercedes builds cars that strive to accomplish the attributes that I want in a car. They went through that tough patch in much of the decade of the 2000's, but have found their way back in a big way with the new e class, which I can attest to from personal experience, and I suspect their other models deliver as well. I have had c class and glk loner cars and they seem great. Lexus delivered very reliable cars with luxury interiors at a great price at a time when the quality control of the German cars was suspect. But their cars never had any soul what so ever. They sat on there laurels and never put much work into improving in the areas where the Germans always exceeded them. Now they have a lot of catching up to do and don't have the big price advantage any more. I hope they succeed. All competition is good and pushes everyone in the segment to do better at the best price. Regards. Ned.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
saw one in person yesterday. parked in a local mall. the bad news is no one even looked at it. the good news is the front is definitely much better looking than the back even though i'm not digging it.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:51 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Saw one on the road yesterday. The rear, as with many modern cars, takes the lazy approach: I.e, non special design, but crazy LED's to try and express that it's a premium car. It looks very much like a Kia Optima in the back (I thought it was one). The sides are okay, no biggie, clean and smooth, uninspiring but not something that will turn people off unless they want more pizazz and design prowess-expression (which in itself is a good or bad thing, depending on how well the Designers execute it), and the front is just terrible, IMO.

I'm sure it'll be a great commuter, however, which naturally is ultimate in this segment.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:05 PM

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
asdas
Put some dreadlocks on it and it looks like Predator.

That is one seriously ugly maw.

The inside looks nice but it looks like the dash is set way too high all the way across. Like it will make you feel buried in your car.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 119 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
Atleast it's faster... the E class is SO SLOW, especially the 2010's and 2011's. Every time I accelerate on an onramp, I always come in second...Bet this wouldn't happen with the new GS
Old 02-12-2012, 09:56 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I'm always first on the onramps when I want to be.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:59 AM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
18'Porsche GT3, 16' Ram 3500 mega diesel,30' Model A Ratrod, 17' E43
Originally Posted by amaycg
Atleast it's faster... the E class is SO SLOW, especially the 2010's and 2011's. Every time I accelerate on an onramp, I always come in second...Bet this wouldn't happen with the new GS
Yes they are very slow. A 2012 Kia Optima with a turbo 4cyl is faster to 60 and in a 1/4mile,, For only $26,000. I'm sorry, but thats ridiculous.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:40 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Damn, shoulda bought the Optima and pocketed the extra $30K.

Crazy me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Lexus GS?