E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

My Thoughts About E550 Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 10:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8, 2009 Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4
Exclamation My Thoughts About E550 Coupe

Hey everyone, I like to share my thoughts about my experiences with my 2011 E550 Coupe.

Let me share with you my journey and it went like this....

March 2011 - customed ordered a brand new 2011 Mercedes Benz E550 Coupe from a MB dealer ($75K - MSRP, all options, taxes, fees)
June 2011 - my brand new 2011 Mercedes Benz E550 Coupe was delivered
June - November 2011 - loved life enjoying my first Mercedes driving 0-60 in 5.0 seconds everyday (not my daily driver)
November 26, 2011 - cleaned up the Benz and covered her up for winter storage (I live in the Northeast part of the country)
Nov. 26 - Dec. 1, 11 - felt like something was missing, didn't like the fact that I spent all that money and had to store the car for 2-4 months
Dec. 2, 2011 - 6 months later sold Mercedes Benz E550 Coupe with only 2,223 miles for $23K LESS than what I paid for at $51,500 (car was all paid up, no loan liens). Depreciated horribly!
Dec. 5, 2011 - Mercedes Benz gone, flat-bedded away enroute to TX
Dec. 16, 2011 - introduced to and learned about Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 from multiple websites
Dec. 17, 2011 - went to a dealer in town to check out a GCSRT8 and witnessed the miracle beast
Dec. 19, 2011 - called over 15 Jeep dealers around the country to attempt to locate a GCSRT8 to my specifications
Dec. 20, 2011 - located a GCSRT8 that is in my specs and price so I pulled the trigger (deposit down, loan approved, SOLD)
Dec. 26, 2011 - picked up my brand new 2012 GCSRT8

I was pretty excited about my Benz when I first order and got it, but now that I experienced my GCSRT8, I believe that it's a much better car! The GCSRT8 luxury amenities are comparable to my old Benz:

heated/vented seats
keyless go
panoramic sunroof (two panel design)
sensored unlock
distronics/adaptive cruise
lane assist
park assist
back up camera
bluetooth
Harmon K sound

What's better than my Benz are:

Carbon fiber trim
Heated steering wheel
touch screen command center
0-60 performance
resale value
remote car start included
sound system
Looks more aggressive

Needless to say, I am more pumped up about this car than I was with my Benz and it was cheaper ($65K)!

Don't get me wrong, I believe MB is a great brand, but the E550 Coupe just doesn't have that flare in my eyes anymore! Forget about the sedans or the E350s! When I see the E series around town now, they blend in with all the other cars and I blow by them with my SRT8!

February 4 - went and bought me a Lamborghini Gallardo LP 560-4 ($200K)! Yeah, E550 what?

Take home message, there are so many great cars out there and if you're looking to spend the type of money on a E550 ($56K - 75K), you have many other great choices. Do your research and you'll learn that E series isn't all that cracked up to be! E350s are even worse!

I'm done buying cars for awhile!

Last edited by ToofDoc; 02-15-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:33 PM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
18'Porsche GT3, 16' Ram 3500 mega diesel,30' Model A Ratrod, 17' E43
First mistake was paying $75,000 for a car on a C class chassis. Sucks you had a bad experience with MB, but I will feel very confident in my E in an accident, more so then if I was in a chrysler product. Gallardo sounds fun though.....
Old 02-15-2012, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 4Matic, 2002 M3 Vert
Originally Posted by RobbieRob
First mistake was paying $75,000 for a car on a C class chassis. Sucks you had a bad experience with MB, but I will feel very confident in my E in an accident, more so then if I was in a chrysler product. Gallardo sounds fun though.....
I can attest to this!
Old 02-16-2012, 02:13 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Werd to that my friend/foe.

I don't get this "comparison" of an E Coupe and Jeep GC. The Coupe is indeed a true "C", but the GC pales in comparison to the E Sedan in refinement and quality, not to mention design prowess. Also, the Jeep GC is a MUCH higher volume car than an E Sedan, so get used to blending in more.

Sounds like someone got upset and decided to potentially Troll for not only spending that kind of coin on a C Chassis car, but for getting REAMED on that resale. You should have gotten much more for that car.

You can strap 1000 HP to that Truck, I'll take the E-Class.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
if you have a lambo, i can see why you "need" a cherokee as it's a more practical car. however, it's funny that you are comparing a coupe to a suv .
Old 02-16-2012, 07:41 AM

Mistake paying $75K? That was the cost of the custom built car?! No MB dealers in my city had a E550 instock so I had to custom built my own car. They all had the cheesy E350s. It was directly built from a MB dealership. You take the base price and add P1, P2, Sports Pkge, and every other available options, it easily added up to $75K! Remember, I was excited about car when I built and ordered it so I didn't mind the cost.

Second, don't get me wrong, I didn't have a negative experience with MB, great brand, it simply didn't keep my attention or captivate me as much as my SRT8. I know, SUV different from coupe but I'm just saying from my own preference. BTW, only 3000 of the new SRT8 is built in 2012. Since I purchased mine, I haven't seen another one yet!

Listen, im not tryin to say Jeep tops MB as a brand because we all know it does not in million years, all I'm saying is that I'm much happier with my SRT8 than the E550. Maybe is the fact that I get to drive my SRT8 daily while I couldn't with my old E that cause me to like my JEEP more, but overall, I'm very happy about my current garage.

Robbie, as far as you potentially being an accident in your little E, let's just hope it isn't anything severe. We all know a JEEP SUV can protect us and take impacts better than any MB coupes or sedans in a similar accident.

E coupe depreciates so much it's unbelievable! When I was selling my E, I spoke to over 15 dealers all over the country. Actually MB dealers offered me much less! They all said demand for E550s are low, more buy E350s. Capri blue is not a great resale color, all dealers wants black?! The highest offer I received from a MB dealer was under $50K! If you go to EBay or Autotrader now, you'll see majority of the preowned 2011 E550s dealer listings are listed for less than $60K so I can see why they don't want to pay me more for mine. I wasn't thrilled about my $51.5K sale, but it was the BO at that time so I was pleased. I also didn't want to wait and take the time to sell it myself as every day that goes by, that car will be worth less sitting in the garage.

Last edited by ToofDoc; 02-16-2012 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by BM2BZ
if you have a lambo, i can see why you "need" a cherokee as it's a more practical car. however, it's funny that you are comparing a coupe to a suv .
Jeep came first then the Gallardo. The Gallardo was an another impulse purchase! didn't need the G, but always wanted one.

Actually, if I lived in AZ, FL, or TX, I probably would've kept the E because I could've driven it year round. My old E cost me less to drive, better gas mileage than my SRT8. My SRT8 only gets 12 MPG!
Old 02-16-2012, 08:04 AM

2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
Congrats on both of your cars glad to see you are finally happy. I don't mean to rain of your parade just wanted to share my experience with you. I owned a previous generation Jeep SRT8 about two-three years ago. I owned that car for exactly 6 months. It was a beast and it was fun but my honeymoon with it was short lived. I could look past the thirst of the car. I could even live with the back breaking rock hard suspension. What I could not cope with was the squeaks and rattles that started popping up. The suspension groaning at unpredictable times when going over speed bumps. The service offered by my dealer was inadequate at best (but I can't really fault the car at that). But most tiring was everyone trying to race me at a red light. From Jersey Shore types in X5s to pony car enthusiasts, minivan drivers, AMGs, riced up Civics, everyone. It was nuts. My wife refused to ride in the Jeep with me because of the rattles/squeeks and because people started acting crazy whenever they saw the car. She even nicknamed the car "Red Mist" because everyone around us got that over their eyes it seemed. I got less attention in my Aston the I got in the SRT8. Anyway, just wanted to share my experience with you about that car. And whatever you do don't valet the car. Anything with an SRT badge is a "valet favorite" if you know what I mean

Once again congrats on your purchases and safe and happy motoring
Old 02-16-2012, 08:11 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

So you're coming here to complain about you buying a car that was lousy for your needs, picking a model that is an apparently undesirable V8, Vert, Coupe, hard to sell), picking a color that is undesirable, and then losing your butt on it because of those factors and because you decided to take an even bigger bath by trading it into a Dealer (never a good move), and gloat about buying a Jeep with a $20K entry price which is crudely based on an ML and a monster motor shoehorned into it?

I don't get the point of this Thread. To tell us that your mismanaging your vehicular purchase with what is essentially C-Class Convertible somehow diminishes the E-Class Sedan? Or is it simply a venting Troll-fest.... (most certainly).

As for "Safety", a smart man would bet on the E-Class. A history of being the most life saving vehicle on the roads, and the W212 is immensely Safer than any E it replaces.

Check in with us in a couple of years and tell us what that Lambo is selling for in comparison to what you bought it for, will ya?
The following users liked this post:
rxberk (05-29-2021)
Old 02-16-2012, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by K-A
So you're coming here to complain about you buying a car that was lousy for your needs, picking a model that is an apparently undesirable V8, Vert, Coupe, hard to sell), picking a color that is undesirable, and then losing your butt on it because of those factors and because you decided to take an even bigger bath by trading it into a Dealer (never a good move), and gloat about buying a Jeep with a $20K entry price which is crudely based on an ML and a monster motor shoehorned into it?

I don't get the point of this Thread. To tell us that your mismanaging your vehicular purchase with what is essentially C-Class Convertible somehow diminishes the E-Class Sedan? Or is it simply a venting Troll-fest.... (most certainly).

As for "Safety", a smart man would bet on the E-Class. A history of being the most life saving vehicle on the roads, and the W212 is immensely Safer than any E it replaces.

Check in with us in a couple of years and tell us what that Lambo is selling for in comparison to what you bought it for, will ya?
K-A, do you know you have a E350?! Take your worthless input to another thread. Leave my thread. Tracking your posts, you never had any good thing to share. Go play with your vroom vroom.
The following users liked this post:
rxberk (05-29-2021)
Old 02-16-2012, 08:42 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Not a chance.

Do you know that the car which you're basing this odd "comparison" on is a C-based Convertible, which is an entirely different automobile than the E Sedan? Maybe you should take your own advice and post this in the E Coupe/Vert section, if it's a "Members Only" deal.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:48 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by ashieh75
K-A, do you know you have a E350?! Take your worthless input to another thread. Leave my thread. Tracking your posts, you never had any good thing to share. Go play with your vroom vroom.
oh boy, here we go again..........

why don't you act like a human eh?
KA is one of our most spoken members; and when he types..........I always read.......

just relax yourself eh???
Old 02-16-2012, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
I wouldn't touch a Chrysler product with a ten foot pole.Or a GM product either.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by ashieh75
Leave my thread.
*Your* thread? Do you have a receipt?
Old 02-16-2012, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
I thought this was going to be some thought about the E550 coupe. Instead, it seems more like a Jeep commercial. The E550 coupe, while based on the C chassis, is still an E. It is a fine vehicle. It is certainly not going to be the winter car that a jeep or <fill in any soccer mom SUV here>. The OP liked the car but hated not driving it for months. The depreciation is no worse than any other "loaded" car from any manufacturer. Mainstream cars are not investments. Period. The OP obviously has a lot of cash, but, seemingly not a lot of car-sense.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes e350 BlueTec
You can't complain about depreciation and buy a lamborghini And you certainly couldn't (and didn't) complain about service cost either which last I looked was over $1.50 a mile (without depreciation or fuel).

Sounds like you have enough $'s to buy what you want and some folks will be getting some great bargains as you go through cars. Sounds like you have a fun stable right now but I wouldn't bet that Jeep lasts more than a year in your garage.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:01 AM

2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
Originally Posted by listerone
*Your* thread? Do you have a receipt?
You had tea shooting though my nose with that comment. Thanks; I always appreciate it when someone makes me smile in the morning
Old 02-16-2012, 09:01 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by hyperion667
oh boy, here we go again..........

why don't you act like a human eh?
KA is one of our most spoken members; and when he types..........I always read.......

just relax yourself eh???
Lol, I thought the same thing (on the first part).

Thanks and right back at ya.

Fun fact about the Jeep GC:

It's actually possibly the finest Chrysler product put out to date. Why? Because it's practically a "poor mans ML". M-B gave Chrysler the basis of the new ML chassis to use on the GC (as a parting deal when their toxic Marriage ended) so Chrysler "Chryslerized" it. The ML takes the same general layout, and improves upon it IMMENSELY. Quality, comfort, refinement, and definitely SAFETY, much more generous and high-quality use of Steels throughout, etc.

The GC is a great Chrysler, but you know it's still a Chrysler when you get in it. Is that a bad thing? Not anymore, but it's not to the level of an E-Class. Not an E200, let alone an E550. Creature comforts and motors are two small aspects when it comes to the overall quality and prowess of a car.

IMO, the E is one of the best looking cars on the road. The GC is "aiight", but the SRT8 is, ummmmm....

My Thoughts About E550 Coupe-01-jeep-grand-cherokee-srt8-ny-opt.jpg

Last edited by K-A; 02-16-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 4Matic
I think main reason for this thread is... OP was taken by dealer.

Using info from his sales ad (https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-...coupe-65k.html)
I dunno how he got 75K MSRP. With Base MSRP being 56K- I can' add anything that will take it over 70K and invoice around 65K.
Maybe there was a backseat stripping pole involved ?

Or maybe last line "Love the car but can use the money towards somewhere else. "
says it all?

use money to buy an SRT and Gallardo?
Who am I to judge? Enjoy your cars!
Old 02-16-2012, 09:18 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Oh sh**! I thought it was a Vert?! How can you even Option a E550 Coupe to $75K? You can get a CLS for that much.

So not only did O/P get reamed on the buy, but he got reamed on the Trade-In (half of the ream was by doing a Trade-In, period).

So the vent here is to gloat that our POS E's (even though the Coupe isn't a true E, technically speaking) aren't as good as a Jeep because the Jeep can drive in the Snow year round and costs less (as it should, it's a cheaper product)?

Sounds like ole' fashioned Trolling to me, perhaps?
Old 02-16-2012, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 323 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
Originally Posted by ImInPA
The E550 coupe, while based on the C chassis, is still an E. It is a fine vehicle.
+1.

KA, do not put down E coupes (especially 550). You have no idea what you're talking about. Just like W209/W208 CLKs it replaced (while those were also based on W203/W202 Cs chassis, felt as refined and drove just as good as W211/W210 E) it feels as refined as W212 E (more so than CLKs) while producing a much better handling ride. E coupes feel much more upscale (IMO on par with W212 Es) than any W204 C, including just refreshed 2012 versions.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:33 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

It's still technically based off of a C-Class. With exact dimensions and hardpoints. While I do see this as a negative considering the price point, to me personally (i.e, I wouldn't buy one at the price, but we're all different in that sense), I'm pointing it out as something factual in regards to someone complaining about E-Coupe characteristics isn't someone complaining about E Sedan characteristics.

I know that the suspension and tech are different than the W204, and I know that it doesn't drive like a W204. It also doesn't drive nor feel exactly like a W212, of course.

I actually find the CLK of the previous generation to not ride nearly as good as the W211 (not saying it rides badly, but it isn't an "E-Class").

Last edited by K-A; 02-16-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:57 AM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
18'Porsche GT3, 16' Ram 3500 mega diesel,30' Model A Ratrod, 17' E43
Originally Posted by threeMBs
+1.

KA, do not put down E coupes (especially 550). You have no idea what you're talking about. Just like W209/W208 CLKs it replaced (while those were also based on W203/W202 Cs chassis, felt as refined and drove just as good as W211/W210 E) it feels as refined as W212 E (more so than CLKs) while producing a much better handling ride. E coupes feel much more upscale (IMO on par with W212 Es) than any W204 C, including just refreshed 2012 versions.

ThreeMB, Ka and I are bringing up that the E coupe is based on the C chassis only because of the price the OP mentioned He paid for it. I specially ordered My E-550 sedan, it has everything except night vision and I am no where near $75,000 for my car. Either the op is exaggerating about what he paid, or the dealer found someone to take advantage of. The E coupe is a great car, that wasn't the point to say it isn't.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:59 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Let's hope O/P is in Canada or he got conned by whoever sold him that car.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 119 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
You guys, the OP is right. Even if he bought a "C-Class" whatever. He's not comparing much else except the features and power. The E class has the same features and power as the E coupe the OP has, so if he complains about the E coupe, he's not complaining about the "c-ness" of the car, he's complaining about the "e-ness" of the car. You guys obviously live in a world where the E class is the best of the best, but really, there ARE cars out there that have faster, More EFFICIENT, engines, more features and more technology.

Let's take a look at the E350 vs. the A6: A6 has more tech and features
Let's take a look at the E350 vs. the Ford Taurus: same features, except the Ford has better fuel efficiency.
Let's take a look at the E350 vs. any other car pretty much in its segment: The E lacks technology (why doesn't it have internet integration, Google Maps, Pandora - available on the new Toyota something, standard bi-xenons, TOUCH SCREEN Comand UI, etc...?), but at least it has safety (I think, doesn't it have a 3 or 4 star rollover and no standard rear side airbags? haha!) and design. Oh, and it's popular. Service costs are much higher, but at least you get the title of a Benz. Oh, and other cars don't look as good (again).

I'm not afraid to say these things b/c I bought the E for design purposes. It's a gorgeous car! But yeah, the E350 is slow (only 268 HP? haha!), and lacks technology that a lot of cars already have...especially the A6.

If you guys bought the E for technology, you made a mistake.
If you guys bought the E b/c it's popular, it's average around where you live, and you wanted the brand name, you bought it for the right reason.
If you guys bought the E350, not the E550, for power, should have done your research!
If you bought the E for design, great choice!

Every car has its benefits and downfalls...The E class does LACK a lot, but so do other cars...let's just admit it. Even if the E lacks a lot, other cars lack things too. Every car is a give and take. It's not possible to be the "Best or nothing"

I urge the members here to do some research on other cars in the same segment as the E and outside the same segment. You might be surprised!

Last edited by newyorktoLA; 02-16-2012 at 11:27 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Thoughts About E550 Coupe