E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Convenience opening trick

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 4Matic 2011
Convenience opening trick

I discovered this partly by accident and then reading the manual. For cars with Keyless Go you can open all the windows at once without touching the key. Here is how.

1. Touch the small square on the door handle (driver's for example) and hold your finger there until it engages the "auto-close" feature. It doesn't matter that all the windows are already closed.

2. Let go and immediately pull on the driver's door handle taking care not to touch the outside of the handle. (The doors should remain locked but the handle will pull out.)

3. All the windows will start to open and will stop when you let go of the handle.

This is useful when your car has been parked for a while and you want to air out the interior. No need to get out the key and point to the small black receiver square on the drivers door handle and press down on the unlock button.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:09 AM

2011 E550 4Matic
awesome, i didnt know that! but have been wondering if such a feature exists as this 100+ heat lately is baking my car all day!
Old 07-06-2012, 04:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 642 Likes on 481 Posts
W212 FL
Thanks, I will try these out later
Old 07-06-2012, 08:39 AM

E350 4Matic 2011
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
awesome, i didnt know that! but have been wondering if such a feature exists as this 100+ heat lately is baking my car all day!
The manual describes this feature as a reverse of the covenience closing of windows; perhaps for safety. It is very handy that it works even if the windows are already closed to begin with.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:52 PM

2011 E550 4Matic
Hmm tried it this morning. Touched the "button" till the sunshades started closing then held the inside of the door but nothing happened. I'll try again later as I was running late and didn't try it again
Old 07-06-2012, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 158 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by telemakhos
The manual describes this feature as a reverse of the covenience closing of windows; perhaps for safety. It is very handy that it works even if the windows are already closed to begin with.
Wrong, its the Keyless-go summer convienice opening.
The OP made it sound just a little more complicated than it really is...

Press the and hold the square then pull and hold the handle. Its that easy

There is no need to hold the square till the auto closing starts before pulling the handle.
You can release the square anytime after the summer opening has started and releasing the handle stops the process.
Your seat fans will also turn on.
You can do this with any of your 4 doors.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:05 PM

E350 4Matic 2011
Hmm tried it this morning. Touched the "button" till the sunshades started closing then held the inside of the door but nothing happened. I'll try again later as I was running late and didn't try it again
You need to pull on the handle outward.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:43 PM

E350 4Matic 2011
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
Wrong, its the Keyless-go summer convienice opening.
The OP made it sound just a little more complicated than it really is...

Press the and hold the square then pull and hold the handle. Its that easy

There is no need to hold the square till the auto closing starts before pulling the handle.
You can release the square anytime after the summer opening has started and releasing the handle stops the process.
Your seat fans will also turn on.
You can do this with any of your 4 doors.

Your manual must be different from mine. See the attached page 93. It says that the convenience opening feature can only be operated using the key. In the following convenience closing section it describes what I first posted, i.e., how to stop closing the windows and open them in case of danger.

I tried what you said but I could not get it to work on my car.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 07-06-2012, 08:09 PM

2011 E550 4Matic
Your manual must be different from mine. See the attached page 93. It says that the convenience opening feature can only be operated using the key. In the following convenience closing section it describes what I first posted, i.e., how to stop closing the windows and open them in case of danger.

ahhh k i didnt read the manual to check i just tried what was posted here. that does kinda suck that we cant use it without the key, why let us close everything with just a touch but we need to use the key for opening? thats how it was on my C i was hoping for something a bit more fancy with keylessgo+P2+etc...Plus i hate having to stand there aiming the key the whole time.....
Old 07-06-2012, 10:20 PM

E350 4Matic 2011
ahhh k i didnt read the manual to check i just tried what was posted here. that does kinda suck that we cant use it without the key, why let us close everything with just a touch but we need to use the key for opening? thats how it was on my C i was hoping for something a bit more fancy with keylessgo+P2+etc...Plus i hate having to stand there aiming the key the whole time.....
Perhaps I wasn't clear. You just need the key in your pocket. The owners manual isn't quite correct when it says that you need to aim the key. You can open all the windows following the procedure described at the end convenience closing "warning" section.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:20 PM

2011 E550 4Matic
Perhaps I wasn't clear. You just need the key in your pocket. The owners manual isn't quite correct when it says that you need to aim the key. You can open all the windows following the procedure described at the end convenience closing "warning" section.
whoops i didnt see that part, i just stoped reading when it said warning, ill give it a try in the morning. when it says to pull on the handle, is that pulling and opening it or just touching the sensor part?
Old 07-06-2012, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 158 Posts
2023 EQS 580

I didnt say that your way doesnt work I just said that you made it more complicated than it is. I did this with my W211 and I still do it with my W212. What the manual if refering to is that you have to have the key in your possession and near the handle. In other words the key cant be in you wife's purse on the opposite side of the car while you try to activate it.

Step 1: Place Thumb on square
Step 2: Pull handle (without removing the thumb).
Old 07-07-2012, 12:20 AM

E350 4Matic 2011
Ok... I'll give that another try tomorrow and see if I can get that to work. It would be easier.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:24 AM

E350 4Matic 2011
Pulling means that you have to move the handle outwards not just touch it. Tjdehya has a simpler method than what I described, however.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 930 Likes on 658 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Pulling means that you have to move the handle outwards not just touch it. Tjdehya has a simpler method than what I described, however.

Works great on my 2010 E550. Awesome feature for hot days.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 07-07-2012, 11:25 PM

E350 4Matic 2011
Originally Posted by Tjdehya

Step 1: Place Thumb on square
Step 2: Pull handle (without removing the thumb).
I tried again and it worked!

Thanks for simplifying the procedure.