E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Squeaky wipers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 06:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2011 E250 AV / Palladium Silver / AMG sport package
Squeaky wipers

My W212 is only 6 months old and the squeaky wipers are driving me crazy...took it back to the dealer and they said the wipers were ok, just told me to spray windshield washer fluids more often to wash off the dirt that tends to build up from city driving (total in my view). But I followed their advice and no squeak for maybe the first 5 to 8 wipes and then it starts up again.

Anyone else experience this problem with the stock wipers? or is there some product in the market I can apply to the windshield to solve this problem?

Appreciate the help!
Old 07-24-2012, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350
Never had this problem...

My fastest setting isn't fast enough for heavy rain, it's my only complaint.

Wonder if there is a setting a dealer can make to speed them up...
Old 07-24-2012, 08:30 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
rain x..................get some today
Old 07-24-2012, 09:42 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
'11 E350BTC P2 Leather
Originally Posted by hyperion667
Interesting, Click and Clack HATE Rain-X. I am not sure why, I think it's great stuff.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:04 AM

2010 E350
New owner, first time post... Wipers are not for removing dirt or dust from the windshield, only moisture. A dirty windshield will damaged blades sooner than later. Several things to look out for:

1. Blade angle
2. Blade pressure
3. Arm pivont points
4. Blade condition

In my business I see people trying to cheap out and only purchase the inserts and not the entire blade. If you live in an area where there is a lot of heat, smog or dirt your blades life is reduced, in any case they should be replaced every six to twelve months, sooner in high dirt / smog areas. Chances are your blades simply need relacement. Old hard blades will not "flip" as direction changes this will cause the leading edge of the wiper to "push" against the windshield and hop or skip. If they are squeaking most liekly your windshield is dirty and have damaged the blade edges.

I am not sure about Mercedes but my BMW 7 series would perform micro movements in the blade arms every so often to keep the blade edges fresh.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:46 PM

2017 E300 4M
Originally Posted by joseph1980
My W212 is only 6 months old and the squeaky wipers are driving me crazy...took it back to the dealer and they said the wipers were ok, just told me to spray windshield washer fluids more often to wash off the dirt that tends to build up from city driving (total in my view). But I followed their advice and no squeak for maybe the first 5 to 8 wipes and then it starts up again.

Anyone else experience this problem with the stock wipers? or is there some product in the market I can apply to the windshield to solve this problem?

Appreciate the help!
I live in WA and have to replace mine twice a year with the amount of rain we have here. A lot of times it’s not how old is your wiper blade it’s the condition and how hard it has to work. Anyways, $50 will take care of your squeaky problem.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes e350 BlueTec

Appreciate the help!
I had this exact problem and took the car back to the dealer....the service manager said that apparently they hadn't clayed the windshield when they prepped the car, he clayed it, replaced the blades and the wipers worked flawlessly......for a while. Now they are squeaking and jerking along again...unless there is a very heavy rain. I've learned to either clean my windshield and blades completely or just live with the chattering.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:54 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by mikemargolis
Interesting, Click and Clack HATE Rain-X. I am not sure why, I think it's great stuff.
what are click and clack? lol
Old 07-24-2012, 05:33 PM

2010 E350
what are click and clack? lol
Click and Clack the Tappet brothers.. they have an automotive related show. People call in with issues and problems. They take the calls remotely look up the repairs and then call the people back... Meh anyone can do that, want to impress me? Do it on the fly with no safety net...
Old 07-25-2012, 09:03 AM

Mercedes e350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by norcal_cyclist
Click and Clack the Tappet brothers.. they have an automotive related show. People call in with issues and problems. They take the calls remotely look up the repairs and then call the people back... Meh anyone can do that, want to impress me? Do it on the fly with no safety net...
Their radio program is "Car Talk" on PBS radio and it's run for years. A couple of Harvard Graduates who decided to run a car repair shop in Boston/Cambridge. They are very funny and knowledgeable with a lifetime of experience...and yes, they do make mistakes and guess...but the show is very enjoyable. There are podcasts on the apple store worth listening to. They are, however, retiring in September so if you want to hear the show "live", find it now.

http://www.cartalk.com/
Old 07-25-2012, 10:38 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
oh yeah, those guys.........didn't realize they had a nickname.....
Old 07-25-2012, 11:20 AM

New owner, first time post... Wipers are not for removing dirt or dust from the windshield, only moisture. A dirty windshield will damaged blades sooner than later. Several things to look out for:

1. Blade angle
2. Blade pressure
3. Arm pivont points
4. Blade condition

In my business I see people trying to cheap out and only purchase the inserts and not the entire blade. If you live in an area where there is a lot of heat, smog or dirt your blades life is reduced, in any case they should be replaced every six to twelve months, sooner in high dirt / smog areas. Chances are your blades simply need relacement. Old hard blades will not "flip" as direction changes this will cause the leading edge of the wiper to "push" against the windshield and hop or skip. If they are squeaking most liekly your windshield is dirty and have damaged the blade edges.

I am not sure about Mercedes but my BMW 7 series would perform micro movements in the blade arms every so often to keep the blade edges fresh.
Thanks. Perhaps I'll take it back to the dealer and request them to replace the wipers and see if the condition improves, but I just find it hard to believe that M-B would put such low quality wipers in their cars (or maybe it's just my bad luck). Although I don't take very good care of my cars but I've never had squeaky wipers in any of my previous cars.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:27 AM

How well does these 'rain x' stuff work? I just randomly googled it the below thread suggest that 'rain x' may actually be one of the cause for squeaky wipers...

http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-Windshie...from-Squeaking
Old 07-25-2012, 11:34 AM

2010 E350
Thanks. Perhaps I'll take it back to the dealer and request them to replace the wipers and see if the condition improves, but I just find it hard to believe that M-B would put such low quality wipers in their cars (or maybe it's just my bad luck). Although I don't take very good care of my cars but I've never had squeaky wipers in any of my previous cars.
They are not low quality wipers, VALEO is the oem and these are a hybrid silicone and natural rubber based blade. Wipers will last under good conditions for about a year, but more likely between 6 and 12 months. I am in the German car business and a friend of mine / neighbor is the Valeo rep for North America. I talked to him last night over some really good Thai food.

Your location shows Hong Kong, correct me if I am wrong but the air quality there isn't the best. That will have a detrimental affect on the life of the wipers too. In any case MBZ should replace your wipers....

disclaimer: I am not a representative of VALEO and therefore get my info secondhand....
Old 07-25-2012, 11:48 AM

They are not low quality wipers, VALEO is the oem and these are a hybrid silicone and natural rubber based blade. Wipers will last under good conditions for about a year, but more likely between 6 and 12 months. I am in the German car business and a friend of mine / neighbor is the Valeo rep for North America. I talked to him last night over some really good Thai food.

Your location shows Hong Kong, correct me if I am wrong but the air quality there isn't the best. That will have a detrimental affect on the life of the wipers too. In any case MBZ should replace your wipers....

disclaimer: I am not a representative of VALEO and therefore get my info secondhand....
I guess I must be totally ignorant...haha...but I honestly didn't know wipers have such short life span. I change vehicles around every 3 years for the past 10+ years and I don't recall replacing wipers nor had I have squeaky wipers, but maybe the dealer changed it during regular maintenance and I just wasn't aware......thanks!!
Old 07-25-2012, 07:47 PM

Mercedes e350 BlueTec
I guess I must be totally ignorant...haha...but I honestly didn't know wipers have such short life span. I change vehicles around every 3 years for the past 10+ years and I don't recall replacing wipers nor had I have squeaky wipers, but maybe the dealer changed it during regular maintenance and I just wasn't aware......thanks!!
I have always had to replace wipers every year, no matter what the car and I clean the blades every couple of months...it's amazing how much grunge gets on the blades.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Serpent S966
Best is to try to live with it, really. This is one little thing MBz doesn't seems bother to fix, happened on my past w204 also. Maybe the problem is not only on the rubber blade, but also the motor is weak. The jerking or squeaking does not happened at higher speed.

Hongkong air quality shouldn't be the problem otherwise mercedes wont sell their cars in hongkong.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
Originally Posted by pwidjaja
Hongkong air quality shouldn't be the problem otherwise mercedes wont sell their cars in hongkong.
this is something new to me. i think they are more concern about the number of cars sell there than air quality .
Old 07-26-2012, 09:03 AM

Serpent S966
Originally Posted by BM2BZ
this is something new to me. i think they are more concern about the number of cars sell there than air quality .
I bet all manufacturers are and MBz does need to make their wipers blade/system better to wind stand any environment on where they sell their cars. Just like BMW rubber door seal "trademark", it will eventually make creaking noise over short period of time. Hassle free cars are always been Japanese, they just don't have enough soul.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:50 PM

2010 E550 coupe
My windshield is new and has new wipers and has "chattered" when there is too little rain (lowest rain sensing setting is not low enough). My windshield is treated with AquaPel (like Rain-X but lasts longer and used by the trade).
I changed wipers to ones that were supposed to not chatter and that was fine for a couple of days, then it started up again.
I used a *very small amount* of tire shine on a sponge and ran it along the rubber blades. The chattering has gone and there's no film or streaking on the windshield.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:27 PM

2008 E350 2013 Tahoe 2007 Mustang GT Conv.
After giving your windshield a really good cleaning using Stoners Invisiglass and newspaper (do twice for the first time, then once a month afterwards) replace the blades with Bosch's Ion blades. Mine are over a year old and are still squeak, streak and chatter free.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:11 PM

2014 E350, 2012 SL550
Here in the desert, my wipers get turned on no more than six times a year. Last three MB's have not suffered from this problem. If you don't like the above solutions, try moving here.

Regards,
Don
Old 07-29-2012, 09:20 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
I don't get it. Wiper blades are wear items that should be replaced every six months. The purpose of the windshield wiper is to remove water from a smooth surface.

The problem is that your windshield is exposed to the elements, a zillion bugs and other assorted crap that tends to stick to your windshield. At the same time, the blades are exposed to the same elements and the rubber will deteriorate.

Try dragging a new wiper blade over a dry window in your home - it'll chatter too.

The blades need to be cleaned regularly and replaced frequently.
The following users liked this post:
DonnyGT (12-29-2021)