E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Problem with Distronic system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 03:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 & 180C coupe
Thumbs down Problem with Distronic system

My E350 with distronic cruise control does not start again after coming to a stop in traffic. Also it disconnects on occasions when coming up behind traffic, red emergency brake safe distance light come on. Quite frightening and dangerous. MB agent on MB Australia's advice replaced a low voltage module. Did not fix problem despite being told problem was fixed. Been back to agent. All systems test normal , but still fault. MB agent and MB Australia cant find reason for fault. Has anyone had or heard of a similar distronic problem. .
Old 10-14-2012, 05:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
What is the history of this car ? Was it previously in an accident ?

The dealer is incompetent. They have a HMS990 for this reason so they can determine errant CANBUS messages. To my mind if the distronic works and the brakes work it can only be the central gateway or the steering column module.

Failing that it can also happen with a sloppy jump start.

Last edited by benzmodz; 10-14-2012 at 05:33 AM.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 896 Likes on 645 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by dingham
My E350 with distronic cruise control does not start again after coming to a stop in traffic. Also it disconnects on occasions when coming up behind traffic, red emergency brake safe distance light come on. Quite frightening and dangerous. MB agent on MB Australia's advice replaced a low voltage module. Did not fix problem despite being told problem was fixed. Been back to agent. All systems test normal , but still fault. MB agent and MB Australia cant find reason for fault. Has anyone had or heard of a similar distronic problem. .

Your message is not very clear of what the problem is.

You say the Distronic does not start after coming to a stop in traffic. If you mean that when you follow a car that stops in front of you and the Distronic stops your car behind it but does not start to follow the car automatically again there is nothing wrong with your Distronic. The system is designed to operater like this. You need to either give it a little bump on the gas pedal or pull that CC stalk for resume and then the car goes again controlled by the Distronic.

Disconnecting when coming behind somebody should not happen. Or do you mean that it does not apply brakes? Disconnecting will give you a beep and text warning saying it is dissconnected when disconnect happens.

If it does not slow the car when coming behind someone is normal if that car is stationary. Distronic does not recognize stopped cars as cars and will not stop the car behind one. Also, if a car in front of you slows down too fast distronic cannot stop yours fast enough. You need to step on the brake.

My Distronic disconnects if a car in front of me suddenly disappears from the radar. This happens when following someone thru a turn at a crossing.

Getting the collision warning happens with or without Distronic ON. It is independent from Distronic. It is ON at all times unless you disable it in the cluster menu.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:32 AM

E350 & 180C coupe
Problem with distronic plus system.

Thanks for the replies. The car has not been in an accident. My wife did break a rear Led tail lamp when backing about two years ago. Since new the distronic plus system would stop the car behind a vehicle in front, and the accelerate again without touching the accelerator. If the brake was touched the system disconnected and the message distronic off come up. Now if the system slows the car and stops, it will not move off again automatically. Touching he accelerator disconnects the system. Have not tried using the CC stalk, but was not necessary previously.
The most worrying thing is when travelling at say 60kph, and a vehicle in front slows,lately the distronic system on occasions and not always, to slow the car, and and you wonder is it going to stop, the distronic chimes and disconnects and the red braking warning lights comes on and you need to apply emergency braking. This has not occured previously in the 2 years we have had the car, only recently, that is, the last month or so. When I took the technician on a test drive, he got a fright when it failed to slow, and agree it was dangerous. It is now three days since the =last test by MB and no one has advised what is the problem. he technician said he may have to change the radar unit.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
CC is not active below 20 mph in US equipped vehicles. If the vehicle speed drops below this level, the cruise should automatically disengage IIRC. The "normal" behavior you describe must be region specific, as it does not work that way in the US.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
Originally Posted by ImInPA
CC is not active below 20 mph in US equipped vehicles. If the vehicle speed drops below this level, the cruise should automatically disengage IIRC. The "normal" behavior you describe must be region specific, as it does not work that way in the US.

My Distronic+ (US version) most certainly works below 20 mph. I use it all the time in stop-and-go traffic, where it really shines. It will even initiate at below 20 mph.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
That is truly awesome!!! I did not realize distronic system worked that way. Hmmmmm, I asked my sales rep at the time I purchased mine, but, I guess I did not understand him. That is a great feature!!! (maybe next time for me). Will it initiate from a complete stop (e.g. from a red light)? If so, how does it respond when you are the first car at a light Vs. there is a car in front of you?
Old 10-15-2012, 02:25 PM

2015 GL450
I've never tried to initiate at a complete stop. My intuition tells me no. It's exactly as Arrie describes above. The system will slow the car and function all the way to a complete stop. Once you come to a complete stop, however, you must "goose" it to get it going again, either by pulling back on the stalk or by touching the accelerator. I think this is a safety feature in case one is distracted by their phone or something when at a full stop.

Also, IIRC, the braking is limited to 40%. Unlike the OP's case, it will brake all the way to 40% and continue braking (no disconnect) but will warn you that it needs help. 40% is way harder than most people brake, so most of the time warnings only happen when you come up on a car moving a lot slower.

If you go to holiday light shows, you'll love D+. Set it and enjoy the lights knowing you can't accidentally run into the car in front.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by ImInPA
That is truly awesome!!! I did not realize distronic system worked that way. Hmmmmm, I asked my sales rep at the time I purchased mine, but, I guess I did not understand him. That is a great feature!!! (maybe next time for me). Will it initiate from a complete stop (e.g. from a red light)? If so, how does it respond when you are the first car at a light Vs. there is a car in front of you?
I've used my Distronic in "full automatic" mode once or twice.It *does* work.It *does* bring you to a full stop and then accerates you,conditions permitting,back to the speed originally selected.However,IMO,it's a very imperfect system in that the speed adjustments are very jerky and disconcerting.I'll never again use it in that fashion for that reason.I do like the automatic emergency braking which is why I insisted on the feature but I long for an old fashioned cruise control.In time a system like this may be perfected but it's *far* from perfect now.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:15 PM

2015 GL450
Originally Posted by ttoE550
My Distronic+ (US version) most certainly works below 20 mph. I use it all the time in stop-and-go traffic, where it really shines. It will even initiate at below 20 mph.
I just read the manual. It will activate below 20 mph IF there is a car preceding mine. If there is no car, then it will not activate below 20 mph. I guess I've always had a car in front. Also, the manual says it is operative from 0 to 120 mph with a car in front, so this seems to indicate you can turn it on if you are stopped behind a car at a light but not when you are first in line at the light. Cool. I learned something.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:36 PM

E350 & 180C coupe
Distronic problem

Spoke with MB service agent yesterday. Told MB Australia want him to recalibrate the distronic plus system. He feels it may not be required and may not fix problem, as he fault is intermittent. Agent feels the radar unit may be the problem.