E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

E550 vs BMW 550i

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:31 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E350 Wagon
Originally Posted by E Classy
you're forgetting the fact that the i3 has 23.667% more torsional rigidity than the competition, and certainly more than the laughably soft b-class from MB, a tired design that was lazily put together by MB execs who needed an about-face facelift to compete with audi and bmw in the segment.

i have studied the ins & outs of these econ-cars and even stuck my ***** in the tailpipes... the bmw is the superior product.
Nailed it!
Old 02-18-2014, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
2010 E550 4M P2 Distronic, CLK550 Cab P2
That was awesome!!
Old 02-18-2014, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
you're forgetting the fact that the i3 has 23.667% more torsional rigidity than the competition, and certainly more than the laughably soft b-class from MB, a tired design that was lazily put together by MB execs who needed an about-face facelift to compete with audi and bmw in the segment.

i have studied the ins & outs of these econ-cars and even stuck my ***** in the tailpipes... the bmw is the superior product.
Wonderful sarcasm !!! There should be an award for your post !!!
Old 02-18-2014, 06:06 PM

2014 E350 Wagon
E Classy must be an avid The Onion fan.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 E550
Originally Posted by dfordham
Arguing with K-A is a lot like wrestling with a pig in the mud .... after a while, you realize that the pig enjoys it!

Regards,
Don
Exactly Don. Trolls feeds on negative energy.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:22 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by Dema
I had a chance to drive today i3, it is an electric 3 series replacement. I can't say the car is designed in BMW traditions. I would name it awful. However I was pleasant with driving experience especially as the car perform considering low HP analog. I didn't like only higher center of gravity position making you feel that car is unstable, although I couldn't confirm it in real driving. Dashboard is really innovative, although column shifter was borrowed from E class. I also didn't like that essential part of hood actually inside of cabin, making your view a little bit odd. But generally a driver has a good visibility. I only was disappointed with driving range which is about 90 miles. However the car can be still considering as a good commuter cars especially if employers will provide rapid charging stations.
I drove an i3 and was beyond impressed with its dynamics and how fun it was, considering how low my hopes were. Only reasons why I think it'll be a failure are because it looks way too goofy and the range is too low for the asking price. I think it's a winning strategy and product, just packaged wrongly, but I'm sure they'll work the kinks out. EV's are the future, whether we like it or not.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMW 5er
lol, i guess i'm definitely not as effective as K-A at this! although i highly recommend actually physically ****ing your car. it's pretty rad.

my bro is a long time bmw guy, and there's just no other car worthy of his dollars in the 3er/5er segment. it's just something i've learned to accept. K-A is not really that much different. i'm more of a brand-agnostic dude, whichever car from whichever mfgr meets my needs best at time of purchase. so, i don't get that upset when K-A says negative things about benz. i agree with some of it. this board is also as he says - it's a little grouchy/grumpy and back-handed at times. everyone's car has to be the best i suppose.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:33 PM

2014 E 550 , 12 911 TTS

well i am sorry to say that that is just rubbish and fanboy talk.

My inside sources tell me that if the I3 is set up to a "exact/ specific setup" nothing matches it in performance or its sublime interior. both in the real world and on a "holistic" level
Old 02-18-2014, 09:35 PM

BMW 5er
Originally Posted by K-A
I drove an i3 and was beyond impressed with its dynamics and how fun it was, considering how low my hopes were. Only reasons why I think it'll be a failure are because it looks way too goofy and the range is too low for the asking price. I think it's a winning strategy and product, just packaged wrongly, but I'm sure they'll work the kinks out. EV's are the future, whether we like it or not.
EV is definitely the frontrunner, but it will be interesting to see how fuel cells fare in the coming years.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:37 PM

BMW 5er
Originally Posted by finman
well i am sorry to say that that is just rubbish and fanboy talk.

My inside sources tell me that if the I3 is set up to a "exact/ specific setup" nothing matches it in performance or its sublime interior. both in the real world and on a "holistic" level
LOL "holistic" level.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:41 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

lol, i guess i'm definitely not as effective as K-A at this! although i highly recommend actually physically ****ing your car. it's pretty rad.

my bro is a long time bmw guy, and there's just no other car worthy of his dollars in the 3er/5er segment. it's just something i've learned to accept. K-A is not really that much different. i'm more of a brand-agnostic dude, whichever car from whichever mfgr meets my needs best at time of purchase. so, i don't get that upset when K-A says negative things about benz. i agree with some of it. this board is also as he says - it's a little grouchy/grumpy and back-handed at times. everyone's car has to be the best i suppose.
To be honest (aside from a good physical f*** with your car being a good form of tension relief indeed), I think this forum, or maybe the E in general has always attracted a grouchy/grumpy, seedy, disrespectful, childish, sand-throwing, close minded, back handed demographic. There are many cool members here, but most have been drowned out and left.

Even when I loved the E, people here would be angry at my positivity. So I don't care to have a respectful approach when I have to break it to them why I think their cars might not be (gasp) the best thing since sliced bread and toppled based on my extensive first hand experience and knowledge with both. I have no respect for those who show little respect.

I'm also brand agnostic, though the brand that gets me, "gets" me and gains a valuable ally I'd like to think. M-B I feel screwed this enthusiast over.

I will say, anyone with an ounce of psychological know, will see it's obvious that the members here live for this banter. My threads become huge and even when I say "let's all be friends, let it go and stop beating the dead horse", they can't get enough and love to keep it going. It's like an obese person who keeps saying "I NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT!" while shoving Bic Macs down their throats. People here obsess over "me", look up things "I've" said in other forums, learn and memorize what "I" say, etc. It's obvious everyone really loves "me" here, kind of like that grade school girl who keeps telling you she hates you, punches you, but really has a crush on you.

Last edited by K-A; 02-18-2014 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Everyone loves banter on a car forum, its needed afterall. Your posts are very predictable, and very little actually truely bugs me on forums, incl your posts...again same overall bashing every chance you get.....on many of the same nits...over and over again.....ill give you this, youve likely forgotten more about the E class than ill ever know...i just dont have that kinda time, and thats cool. Can you enlighten us on the folks on bimmer forums? Have spent little time over there, and all I really have is you as a reference..

Cheers,

Seedy

Originally Posted by K-A
To be honest (aside from a good physical f*** with your car being a good form of tension relief indeed), I think this forum, or maybe the E in general has always attracted a grouchy/grumpy, seedy, disrespectful, childish, sand-throwing, close minded, back handed demographic. There are many cool members here, but most have been drowned out and left.

Even when I loved the E, people here would be angry at my positivity. So I don't care to have a respectful approach when I have to break it to them why I think their cars might not be (gasp) the best thing since sliced bread and toppled based on my extensive first hand experience and knowledge with both. I have no respect for those who show little respect.

I'm also brand agnostic, though the brand that gets me, "gets" me and gains a valuable ally I'd like to think. M-B I feel screwed this enthusiast over.

I will say, anyone with an ounce of psychological know, will see it's obvious that the members here live for this banter. My threads become huge and even when I say "let's all be friends, let it go and stop beating the dead horse", they can't get enough and love to keep it going. It's like an obese person who keeps saying "I NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT!" while shoving Bic Macs down their throats.

Last edited by Airmousam; 02-18-2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:04 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Bimmer forums are the complete opposite of here. Lots of enthusiasm from all directions. Even the biggest trolls (who make what you even think "I" am look like child's play) get dealt with on a matter of debating the vehicles. The only reason you guys seem to obsess about "me" here is because I'm the only one who provides anything that contests or rivets, and then the sand gets thrown, and then here we are. On Bimmer forums, there are thousands of "me's", though people usually don't start trying to play internet-psycho(logist) to take threads off track. It may get heated, but it generally stays regarding the cars. It helps that BMW's probably provide more aspects which can be defended or argued for. Here, it seems like the more knowledge or facts I spill, there's no response to it but increasing build-up resorts to personal BS'ery.

Like I said, the only reason it gets "personal" here is because people simply don't have an argument to provide in respect to their choices being better fundamental products (one or some even admittedly made numbers up in acts of desperation), so they resort to insulting those contesting their cars, sometimes along with the typical "well.... it.... it's a Mercedes, and they're the best! They have a big Star! So there!".

Last edited by K-A; 02-18-2014 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:50 PM

2014 E350 Wagon
I'm more of a brand-agnostic dude, whichever car from whichever mfgr meets my needs best at time of purchase.
+1. As long as it's German. I mean I really tried to go Japanese this time around but once you're used to the German "feel" regardless of badge it's impossible to go domestic or Japanese.

I know that when my wife's ready for a new car she'll want to get another Audi because she has a thing for the four rings and VW AG in general. I'm expecting 200k miles out of the wagon so I won't be up for another car for a while...
Old 02-19-2014, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by GregTR
+1. As long as it's German. I mean I really tried to go Japanese this time around but once you're used to the German "feel" regardless of badge it's impossible to go domestic or Japanese.
Yes, how true ! I have owned a good number of BMWs and MBs over the past 30 years. The Asian brands offer better value for the $, but the overall driving experience does not come close to the best models from Germany.

Like you, I am hopeful that my E Class will be good for at least 5-7 years of trouble free ownership. Each time that I have ridden in an Amsterdam taxi (E350BT) with 200-400,000 km on the odometer, I am reminded just how robust the Mercedes E Class really is !

Last edited by DerekACS; 02-19-2014 at 01:36 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by K-A
Bimmer forums are the complete opposite of here. Lots of enthusiasm from all directions. Even the biggest trolls (who make what you even think "I" am look like child's play) get dealt with on a matter of debating the vehicles. The only reason you guys seem to obsess about "me" here is because I'm the only one who provides anything that contests or rivets, and then the sand gets thrown, and then here we are. On Bimmer forums, there are thousands of "me's", though people usually don't start trying to play internet-psycho(logist) to take threads off track. It may get heated, but it generally stays regarding the cars. It helps that BMW's probably provide more aspects which can be defended or argued for. Here, it seems like the more knowledge or facts I spill, there's no response to it but increasing build-up resorts to personal BS'ery.

Like I said, the only reason it gets "personal" here is because people simply don't have an argument to provide in respect to their choices being better fundamental products (one or some even admittedly made numbers up in acts of desperation), so they resort to insulting those contesting their cars, sometimes along with the typical "well.... it.... it's a Mercedes, and they're the best! They have a big Star! So there!".
Again, very predictable....I could have wrote that for you. 1000's of you is reason enough reason to stay with benz

Cheers!

Seedy
Old 02-19-2014, 07:39 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Airmousam
Again, very predictable....I could have wrote that for you. 1000's of you is reason enough reason to stay with benz

Cheers!

Seedy
Please, don't flatter yourself. Everyone thinks it's easy at the top being King.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'19 MBZ E450 Wagon, '19 BMW 530e
Fine ... I love/hate both cars in my garage. :P
Old 02-19-2014, 09:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 E550
Originally Posted by instantfob
Fine ... I love/hate both cars in my garage. :P
Funny. I also like how you call it the "nose job edition." Message boards need more humor like what you deliver Instantfob. It breaks up the monotony.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by stale-bread
Funny. I also like how you call it the "nose job edition." Message boards need more humor like what you deliver Instantfob. It breaks up the monotony.
Me too ! I also like the styling of Instantfob's pre-nose job 12 E350BT !
Old 02-20-2014, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I need to see the 2014 nose job up close, have ony seen pics so far and a couple on the freeway..Will to have to head to the dealer soon.
Note to self...leave title at home
Old 02-20-2014, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E550 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
So my buddy has been lookin at gettin a BMW 3 series for a while, and this weekend the big dealer here was hosting a fund raiser thing (for every test drive they donate $1 to cancer research). So we figured we would go out and take a look around. While we were there i saw a new 2013 550i, decided to take the competition out for a test. And i gotta say....im impressed.

The cabin felt so much more high tech, heads up display that projects your speed as if its hovering out infront of the bumper, the screen was about twice the size of ours. The computer system itself was much more advanced, able to tune and view so much more through it then COMAND. Bumper mounted cameras to see around blind turns, heated front and rear seats. And the Bang and Olufsen sound system.

Not saying it was all good....The ride felt notably rougher then the E does, even on comfort mode. And no panoramic roof. And while im not positive on the engine specs, it felt slower then my E even though its roughly the same HP. And its sticker was about 11k more then my E, and mines loaded....

Overall i gotta say its a nice car, and i may give it a sereous look when i trade next time.

Has anyone else driven the 550i? thoughts?
No but I've been for a ride in one. Have you compared it to a 2014 E550?
Old 05-07-2014, 04:26 PM

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2020 MB-AMG GLC43
Originally Posted by dfordham
Arguing with K-A is a lot like wrestling with a pig in the mud .... after a while, you realize that the pig enjoys it!

Regards,
Don
Simply put... FUNNY!

Originally Posted by K-A
M-B Tex really is the only vinyl in a car I'd consider (though I think Porsche has some high quality vinyl too). I don't really mind it but do appreciate the extra sense of luxury and refinement I get from the leather in my current car (which is actually the "cheaper" leather alternative, i.e not the Nappa option), which does give a good argument as to why a "Luxury Car" should have leather. I actually wouldn't even vow off MB Tex for its feel as much as I would for the smell. After a while MB Tex cars tend to just smell a way that is not only unflattering but gives me a bit of a headache. The smell of real leather is really a perk. Though, of course especially poorly maintained leather can start to stink just as bad as MB Tex in a totally different way.
For extreme supercars, leather is too heavy. But then we aren't talking about that category. I don't understand it here..

Originally Posted by GregTR
I just found it and happy to say I also utilized it. It seems to work as advertised: https://mbworld.org/forums/profile.php?do=ignorelist

The only drawback is when people quote their message it still comes through...
I am LOVING this feature!
Old 05-11-2014, 08:09 AM

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts
2021 Mojave Silver E450, BRG Jaguar F-pace S, 2011 335d (RIP), 2010 E350 (sold)
In case people were curious and since it was referenced here (or a different thread not sure) a few times, the recent monthly sales data (US and Canada) from the link below was quite interesting (at least to me). The numbers are similar for the past few months.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2014/05...s-figures.html
Old 05-13-2014, 01:20 AM

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2020 MB-AMG GLC43
Originally Posted by ddeliber
In case people were curious and since it was referenced here (or a different thread not sure) a few times, the recent monthly sales data (US and Canada) from the link below was quite interesting (at least to me). The numbers are similar for the past few months.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2014/05...s-figures.html
Good update. Thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Quick Reply: E550 vs BMW 550i