Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350
Question Question re: copying songs from MP3 DVD to Music Register on 2011 E350

Hello everyone-

I recently purchased a 2011 E350.

I have a bunch of MP3 songs copied onto a DVD+R disc. The songs play fine from the disc itself, but I cannot seem to figure out how to transfer the contents of this disc over to the music register.

I looked through the COMAND manual, and unless I'm missing something it seems like you can only copy things to the music register directly from the source CD, importing one at a time -- i.e., that there is no way to mass import songs that have already been converted to MP3.

Is this accurate?

If there is a way to import from the MP3 DVD+R, please let me know what I'm doing incorrectly.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 12-22-2012, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 888 Likes on 638 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by GadgetGuru72
Hello everyone-

I have a bunch of MP3 songs copied onto a DVD+R disc. The songs play fine from the disc itself, but I cannot seem to figure out how to transfer the contents of this disc over to the music register.

I looked through the COMAND manual, and unless I'm missing something it seems like you can only copy things to the music register directly from the source CD, importing one at a time -- i.e., that there is no way to mass import songs that have already been converted to MP3.

Is this accurate?

If there is a way to import from the MP3 DVD+R, please let me know what I'm doing incorrectly.

Thanks in advance!!

I have only copied original CDs and the songs do not need to be copied one-by-one. It copies the whole disk when you start the copy process.

Not being able to copy a MP3 disk is probably because MB does not want to be part of media piracy. MP3 is already a copy. Why would you allow re-copying it in a car like MB? This would be allowing people to copy illegal media in the car.

They already kind of take a "risk" with it as the same CD can be copied in many different cars but it is not likely that an original CD travels between many cars. It is all different with MP3.

If I was a car builder I would not allow MP3 or any other than original CD to be copied in my cars either.

I'm not a mucician but I respect their profession and their rights. I also have MP3 music but I also have the original disk for every bit of it.

One question, if you have tons of this music on a disk in MP3 format why do you want to copy it in the music registry? Why not just play it from the disk?

Last edited by Arrie; 12-22-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:24 AM

2011 E350
Originally Posted by Arrie
I have only copied original CDs and the songs do not need to be copied one-by-one. It copies the whole disk when you start the copy process.

Not being able to copy a MP3 disk is probably because MB does not want to be part of media piracy. MP3 is already a copy. Why would you allow re-copying it in a car like MB? This would be allowing people to copy illegal media in the car.

They already kind of take a "risk" with it as the same CD can be copied in many different cars but it is not likely that an original CD travels between many cars. It is all different with MP3.

If I was a car builder I would not allow MP3 or any other than original CD to be copied in my cars either.

I'm not a mucician but I respect their profession and their rights. I also have MP3 music but I also have the original disk for every bit of it.

One question, if you have tons of this music on a disk in MP3 format why do you want to copy it in the music registry? Why not just play it from the disk?
I have not bought a physical CD in years. I do, however, pay for all my music on iTunes or Amazon. So, I have tons of music files, and was looking for an easy way to transfer a chunk of them to the Music Registry in my car.

If I have to burn a CD, then take that CD to my car and import one CD at a time, it will take forever. There is no reason why we shouldn't be able to transfer in this manner.

If you can play MP3 files off a DVD, or off an SD card, it makes absolutely no sense why you can't just transfer that stuff to the Music Registry.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
MP3's aren't necessarily pirated.Some could be (I'm no expert on the subject) but as you may know recent versions of Windows Media Player have the ability to create an MP3 from a commercial CD built right in.That says to me that making such a "copy" is completely legal.One can also legally *purchase* music in the MP3 format from Amazon (and,I assume,other sources).

The process of loading music onto the hard drive of my BMW was *much* quicker and *much* easier than it was with my Bluetec.I had already (legally) converted my CD collection into MP3 format so loading 2,000 songs took about 3 minutes vs weeks with my Bluetec.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 888 Likes on 638 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
I have not bought a physical CD in years. I do, however, pay for all my music on iTunes or Amazon. So, I have tons of music files, and was looking for an easy way to transfer a chunk of them to the Music Registry in my car.

If I have to burn a CD, then take that CD to my car and import one CD at a time, it will take forever. There is no reason why we shouldn't be able to transfer in this manner.

If you can play MP3 files off a DVD, or off an SD card, it makes absolutely no sense why you can't just transfer that stuff to the Music Registry.

I'm just giving my opinion of why they don't allow MP3s to be copied to the music register. You have to admit that a vast amounts of music goes around as illegal copies regardless if YOU legally own it or not.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts
W212 FL
Not every MP3 is illegal . When I browsed Youtube found a cool music channel of various album samples . I clicked on their link and listened to those samples . I liked them and added the tracks I liked in the cart . They provided me downloading link and I downloaded the tracks , transferred them into my phone as well .
However, I don't use Music Registry but since it won't allow MP3 tracks to play then no matter what you can not copy MP3s into hard drive and in this case it sucks because you already pay for the MP3 tracks
Thankfully , SD Card also works fine and loads the tracks fast
Old 12-23-2012, 01:22 PM

E550 4matic Tenorite (Steel) Grey

I don't know about your's, but my E5550 can exceed every posted speed limit I have ever encountered; it can also run red lights; make illegal U turns; park in "no parking zones"..... You get the picture. So MB has already ceded to me the requirement to use my judgement (or lack of it ) to follow several different laws without extra mothering. I assume that would extend to the copying mp3 files and allowing me to determine if they are legal or not or if it matters to me.

This leads me to believe that the problem is technical not legal.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:21 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W211 E320 & W212 E550
Guys I copy to CD then to the HDD of the car. Not sure about DVD's but sure it is just because the car is incapable of reading it for transfer, techology related. Love if it could burn my DVD-Audio titles or my MP3's on the memory card but it won't. Just burns seem like anything off a CD. But if you have a Memory card, it's really pointless to even use the HDD. Buy a couple dedicated memory cards and put "all" of your music on them and be done.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:45 PM

E500
Hello everyone-

Is this accurate?

Thanks in advance!!
I purchased an E500(new 2011model) and had the same problem.Thanks to my dealer service manager I can now transfer all my music to the register.It cannot be done from cd's or usb sticks.In saying that my wife has the late 2011 c250 and you can transfer direct from cd's.
My problem was overcome by ripping the cd's onto a sd card and then onto the music register.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 MB E550 Sport Sedan
The problem is DVD-R disc, it have the advantage of allowing you to store large number of MP3 files on it, over 4GB per disc cheaper compare to SD of the same memory size. COMAND see the disc as Video rather than audio disc. Will only transfer files to HHD if it sees disc as audio disc. It play audio from DVD-R disc without problem using same software that is uses for audio output on DVD video. Audio output from DVD software likely sound better. Best just to use PCMCIA/SD card slot or if you using Smartphone get MicroSD with large memory download MP3 onto it and stream it using BT Audio.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:32 AM

E500
Originally Posted by HOE550
The problem is DVD-R disc, it have the advantage of allowing you to store large number of MP3 files on it, over 4GB per disc cheaper compare to SD of the same memory size. COMAND see the disc as Video rather than audio disc. Will only transfer files to HHD if it sees disc as audio disc. It play audio from DVD-R disc without problem using same software that is uses for audio output on DVD video. Audio output from DVD software likely sound better. Best just to use PCMCIA/SD card slot or if you using Smartphone get MicroSD with large memory download MP3 onto it and stream it using BT Audio.
What I finally did was purchased a 30gb USB and now I have all my music in one place, with the USB locked away in the glove compartment.All my music is set up into different folders and is very easy to scroll through.
I was also very frustrated with Benz trying to do something that the book said was possible only to find it was not.Not really a recommendation for their quality control!!
Old 12-24-2012, 08:05 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63

LOL, I JUST bought a CD the other day for fun!! (new Coheed and Cambria)
I am pretty sure all you need to do is select record.....and that will get the music on your register