E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

2012 E550 - Warped rotars for the SECOND TIME

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 05:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
E550
Originally Posted by tjkaz
I wonder if my new rotors are the new heavier design or original problematic rotors.
Did the dealer put the part number on the service invoice? If so, what are the part number(s)?

My front replacements (at 9,000 miles, under warranty) were 204-421-11-12

(Interesting, that's also the part number for a 2005 Ford Econoline rotor!)

So far, at 32,000 miles, everything OK, with no change in driving environment.

As an aside, I find LI42.10-P-054524 SEPT12 – 212.072/090/272 front brake vibration. Thickness fault on brake disk replace pads and disks very interesting.

Last edited by Live Oak; 04-20-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:14 PM

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts
'12 E550, '10 ML350, '06 E350, '20 GLC300, '21 GLC300
Originally Posted by mleskovar
6 Sigma Besides I wasn't doing any analysis...just offering a suggestion. Speaking of method, you do understand that the 2009 W211 is a different chassis don't you? And how's that data collection going? Getting more replies to match your forgone conclusion since the people are replying to a thread about warped rotors? And now that you brought up the point why are you chiming in when you don't have the problem? Isn't that another of your requisites I haven't seen any relevant facts or statistics come from anyone yet. Including you. Data and evidence coming in? Like what? How about the evidence that Arrie (not picking on you) doesn't have the problem and he's got 47K on the original rotors? Go clean your own house first.
6 Sigma Besides I wasn't doing any analysis...just offering a suggestion. Speaking of method, you do understand that the 2009 W211 is a different chassis don't you? And how's that data collection going? Getting more replies to match your forgone conclusion since the people are replying to a thread about warped rotors? And now that you brought up the point why are you chiming in when you don't have the problem? Isn't that another of your requisites I haven't seen any relevant facts or statistics come from anyone yet. Including you. Data and evidence coming in? Like what? How about the evidence that Arrie (not picking on you) doesn't have the problem and he's got 47K on the original rotors? Go clean your own house first.
I'm chiming in (a) because I have a 2012 550 which one sedan and one coupe has reported for that model year to have judder, hence, I qualify where you don't and (b) 2009 W211 is for reference to show MB reduced the weight of the rotor (understand...change the design), and (c) I did my homework and some appreciate it as to further understand what the big picture is and (d) I already asked Arrie in post #148 (this is post #150, aren't you a little late), and (e) how are you doing looking for 5,000 people without the problem? Start that thread yet?
Old 04-20-2013, 07:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 E550
Originally Posted by Live Oak
Did the dealer put the part number on the service invoice? If so, what are the part number(s)?

My front replacements (at 9,000 miles, under warranty) were 204-421-11-12

(Interesting, that's also the part number for a 2005 Ford Econoline rotor!)

So far, at 32,000 miles, everything OK, with no change in driving environment.

As an aside, I find LI42.10-P-054524 SEPT12 – 212.072/090/272 front brake vibration. Thickness fault on brake disk replace pads and disks very interesting.
From the invoice...
"000-421-15-12-07 Brake Disk"
A little googling shows that number to be a genuine mercedes part. Still curious if it's the heavier version. Will continue to google.

Also says, "Performed LI42.10-P-054524 and replace front brake pads and rotors." A quick search (and as stated in Live Oak's post) resulted in post #90 here. Quote: "...Thickness fault on brake disk replace pads and disks..." Perhaps that's another way of saying, "oops, screwed up"; either by design or poor quality.

Last edited by tjkaz; 04-20-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by no_mulligan
... how are you doing looking for 5,000 people without the problem?...
Almost there. I'll probably have all those names about the same time you have relevant information.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 921 Likes on 655 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
I fail to understand why members aren't drawn to you for one big reason. You are the only one that not having the problem of the 2010 & 2011 550 group.
Come clean and tell them what pad you are using. Make sure you disclose the rotor (oem right?) and the mileage.
Somebody copy this setup and verify the solution. It's that simple. Arrie may have solution for all 2010 & 2011 550 owners . Isn't that what the goal is? Everything else is noise.

Posted from Mbworld.org App for Android

I don't think I have the solution. I replaced the pads with ceramic just to control the dusting issues. I changed the pads at around 30000 miles (don't remember exactly) . I did not have any kind of braking issues before or after the pad change so I think I'm just one lucky SOB not to have the defective rotors. I'm sure vast majority of the E550 owners don't have problems and most owners don't come to this forum either so there is no way to know.

The pads I bought from AutoZone. Their own name brand and cost something under $100.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by tjkaz
OK, I'm going to throw my hat in this ring, as I had the brake judder on my MY2011 E550; albeit more subtle than some of the others who’ve posted. And, I will try to address some things from my research from engineering sites, vice brake company sites which are prone to marketing. Also, as a little background on me - Although I'm not an automotive engineer, I have a MS in Mechanical Engineering and do have a pretty good grasp of engineering fundamentals.

Also, apologies for the long thread.

Some brackground on my problem. I purchased my MY11 E550 as a CPO when it was only one year old (purchased Dec '11). During the test drive I noticed very slight judder but attributed it to some new braking response (my bad). But like I said, it was very slight, and I really didn't push the car too hard and was focusing on differences between the 212 versus the 211 which is the car I was coming from.

Over time, I noticed that the judder got worse after the brake rotors warmed up (not hot) from normal freeway driving. In more agressive stop and go traffic, I noticed the jugger got even worse. I was convinced that the rotors were experiencing warping after they got hot and became less warped after they cooled and began to contract back to their normal shape. My sense was that they were experiencing asymmetric thermal expansion. So why would they expand asymmetrically?? My theory follows.

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]First, I'd like to thank "no mulligan" for his research, and inparticular, for the weight differences in model year rotors.....

As for why I had the problem in the first place? As I stated in my conclusions - perhaps attributed to issues with the original rotors, the previous owners driving habits or a combination thereof.
Thank you TjKaz. I appreciate your grasp of this issue and your conclusions are definitely worthy of consideration and plausible. As a fellow ME, thanks for reminding me of the Heat and Mass transfer class I took some time ago.

I will add you to my list of people with brake pulsations. Can you tell you how many miles were on the vehicle when you first noticed? So far my collected stats say 13,000 average.
Be ready for my *friends* that can't/won't accept your conclusions. They won't even acknowledge the numbers I collected across 300+ posts are worth anything. You are the 20th person who drives a 2011 E550 to report pulsations.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Arrie
I don't think I have the solution. I replaced the pads with ceramic just to control the dusting issues. I changed the pads at around 30000 miles (don't remember exactly) . I did not have any kind of braking issues before or after the pad change so I think I'm just one lucky SOB not to have the defective rotors. I'm sure vast majority of the E550 owners don't have problems and most owners don't come to this forum either so there is no way to know.

The pads I bought from AutoZone. Their own name brand and cost something under $100.
Lucky is putting it lightly. Keep on living right! I hope the vast majority doesn't either. I just had to rib Mleskovar because he said twice (post #67 and #128) that .5% had the problem with nothing to back it up. I agree that most owners may not come here but whatever the statistical % suffer the pulsation, the same or similar should be represented here as well.

Thanks for responding. I was hoping for a breakthrough but you are still interesting. I will keep my eyes open.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55
Man, thats odd. Is it that you got the 550 when you really needed the E63? I mean, a slightly used E63 would be less than the full pop, but if you are bucks up pop the extra 20 and go home happy, you can beat the snot out the car thats designed to be stomped and romped. The E550 is designed and specked for the E350 driver who wants more oompf, and that's cool but the E63 is more at home with heavy accelerating and or braking. My 06 E55 has no braking issues and I have to constantly watch the rear mirror, inattentive drivers have been known to lock up their brakes behind me cos I'm dropping speed faster than they're used to having in front of them. You sound like me, a guy who NEEDS the AMG version when you feel like getting frisky but plz, don't abandon the brand. Abandon that dealer, their complaints are total BS, my brother works in the industry and dealers get paid from the factory. It's no skin off their asses if they do it 4 times a year. And I can't see MB nickle & dimeing them with a 100+ year old reputation on the line. Good luck.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:34 AM

2000 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by MinnBobber
mleskovar,
thanks for trying to educate folks on brake bedding. I agree but hesitate to jump in and get jumped on by the nay sayers.
I'll add 1.an analogy and then 2.technical info from brake pad/rotor companies where brakes / brake research is their specialty. I tried to
summarize/ condense/ highlight it down from pages of info/data/ findings.
3. why doesn't MB recommend it? My opinion why.

1. MB E550 brakes may have a predisposition toward brake judder.
The brake experts agree that proper brake bedding helps eliminate judder.
Analogy: if your family has a predisposition toward cancer, wouldn't you
want to focus on diet and exercise to help. It might not ward of cancer but
it surely will help.
Bedding brakes may not ward off all judder but it certainly will help. It will
increase the odds of trouble-free brakes.

2. Bedding allows your brakes to reach their full potential. Until they are bedded, your brakes simply do not work as well as they can. Proper bedding improves pedal feel, reduces or eliminates brake squeal, prevents (and often cures) brake judder, reduces brake dust, and extends the life of your pads and rotors.
After the break-in cycle, there should be a slight blue tint and a light gray film on the rotor face. The blue tint tells you the rotor has reached break-in temperature and the gray film is pad material starting to transfer onto the rotor face. This is what you are looking for. The best braking occurs when there is an even layer of of pad material deposited across the rotors. This minimizes squealing, increases braking torque, and maximizes pad and rotor life.
Bedding changes the brakes from adhesive friction (pad on metal) to adherent friction (pad on transferred pad material).
The adherent mechanism is altogether different. In an adherent system, a thin layer of brake pad material actually transfers and sticks (adheres) on to the rotor face. The layer of pad material, once evenly established on the rotor, is what actually rubs on the brake pad. The bonds that are broken, for the conversion of Kinetic to Thermal energy, are formed instantaneously before being broken again. It is this brake pad-on-transferred brake pad material interaction on a molecular level that yields the conversion process.

The all-important transfer layer
As stated above, the objective of the bed-in process is to deposit an even layer of brake pad material, or transfer layer, on the rubbing surface of the rotor disc. Note the emphasis on the word even, as uneven pad deposits on the rotor face are the number one, and almost exclusive cause of brake judder or vibration.
Let's say that again, just so there is no misunderstanding. Uneven pad deposits on the rotor face are the number one, and almost exclusive cause of brake judder or vibration.
It only takes a small amount of thickness variation, or TV, in the transfer layer (we're only talking a few ten thousandths of an inch here) to initiate brake vibration. While the impact of an uneven transfer layer is almost imperceptible at first, as the pad starts riding the high and low spots, more and more TV will be naturally generated until the vibration is much more evident. With prolonged exposure, the high spots can become hot spots and can actually change the metallurgy of the rotor in those areas, creating “hard” spots in the rotor face that are virtually impossible to remove.

They also add that it is almost impossible to warp a modern rotor. About the only way is using a street pad on a racetrack in racing conditions. What people call warped rotors are rotors with uneven brake pad deposits-- yielding high and low spots. Proper brake bedding helps eliminate that.
It may not totally eliminate it and you have to do it properly--where you
see a blue tint from the high temp and a light grey transfer film.

3. And why doesn't MB recommend brake bedding in their owners manual?
I believe it's a "lawsuit" issue. There would be that .1% that performs brake bedding on the freeway , in traffic, slowing repeatedly from 60 mph to
15 mph and they get rear-ended. "MB told me to do this" > lawsuit.

Let the flaming begin......
I actually LOLed, for real, when I read this.

If there was any sort of deposit on a rotor, you could, in fact, scrape it off with some sort of a tool like a pick.
Rotors DO NOT have any bluing to them whatsoever. If they do it's because they got too hot. Not some BS that it's from bedding your pads. Like I said before, I've worked on cars for a long time, and rotors are not, and never have been, blue under normal driving conditions. Only blue rotors I've seen were ones that had gotten REALLY hot. I've even seen purple ones where the friction surface broke away from the hub.

In regards to bedding eliminating squealing, I think that's just a load of BS by brake manufacturers so they don't have to warranty their substandard products.

THE MOST COMMON cause of brake squeal is not from pad to rotor contact. Squeal is most often caused by a lack of proper lubrication between the backing plate of the pad and the caliper. I can make the crappiest pads, with the cheapest rotors silent.

On the other hand, there are certain brands that like to cheap out on friction material. If you look closely at a semi-metallic OE pad, regardless if it's Ford, or Honda, or MB, they typically use higher quality metals such as copper and bronze. Due to the "softness" of the metals they don't squeal. Some aftermarket companies will replace this material with iron and those will cause squeals. Bedding will not relieve this.

I'd like to address terminology just so we're all clear. A shudder or judder is a violent vibration that will literally shake the whole car --violently. Think shaken baby syndrome, but your car. A pulsation is when it's mainly felt in the pedal and very little is transferred to the rest of the vehicle.

As for "hard spots" that are "impossible" to remove . It makes me wonder if the person that wrote that has ever turned a rotor in their life. You can remove any material from a rotor. Period. I have turned literally THOUSANDS of rotors, and I have never come across one with a "hard spot" you couldn't remove. If that were true, when the lathe would get to that spot, it would stop or break the cutting bits. Has never happened.

All of that sounds like utter BS to me. It sounds like a very eloquent excuse.

Last edited by BlackOmega; 04-21-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:00 AM

2013 E350 Wagon, prev 2005 ML 500 SE
brake judder info-- resume

So, here's one source of my brake bedding info--although it's the same research/testing/results from all major brake rotor/pad experts and manufacturers. Would you rather rely on these folks or speculation?

by Matt Weiss and James Walker, Jr. of scR motorsports, exclusively for StopTech
James Walker, Jr. is currently the supervisor of vehicle performance development for brake control systems at Delphi Energy & Chassis. His prior professional experience includes brake control system development, design, release, and application engineering at Kelsey-Hayes, Saturn Corporation, General Motors, Bosch, and the Ford Motor Company. Mr. Walker created scR motorsports consulting in 1997, and subsequently competed in seven years of SCCA Club Racing in the Showroom Stock and Improved Touring categories.
Through scR motorsports, he has been actively serving as an industry advisor to Kettering University in the fields of brake system design and brake control systems. He also serves as a brake control system consultant for StopTech, a manufacturer of high-performance racing brake systems. In addition, Mr. Walker contributes regularly to several automotive publications focusing on brake system analysis, design, and modification for racing and other high-performance applications. He is a recipient of the SAE Forest R. McFarland Award for distinction in professional development/education. Mr. Walker has a B.S. in mechanical engineering from GMI Engineering & Management Institute.

Their info applies to all brake rotors and pads: street , racing, non-MB, MB.
They are NOT making excuses for MB brake judder problems. They state that brake bedding is the single most important procedure to prevent brake
judder, brake squeal, brake dust, etc. They have no "pad to grind"
Their lifetime of work with brake systems (research, development, testing)
has shown the value of bedding.
It amazes me that folks can LOL about bedding. It's brake science--abrasive friction vs adhesive friction.
Do you want to try to prevent the "brake judder cancer" or feebly try to
"cure it" it after it appears. It might not prevent all judder but it's sure worth
trying IMHO.
Flame suit on again
Old 04-21-2013, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by MinnBobber
Do you want to try to prevent the "brake judder cancer" or feebly try to
"cure it" it after it appears. It might not prevent all judder but it's sure worth
trying IMHO.
Flame suit on again
How can you say "prevent" in one sentence and "might not prevent" in the next?

I call that covering your ***.

Is bedding ?
Old 04-21-2013, 12:46 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
15 AMG S63 4-matic coupe
I certainly would be curious to see of the heavier set up from the '12 could be easily (i.e. bolt on)substituted for the '10 brake rotors.
My suspicion is it would probably also require a caliper and carrier change in order to do so.
The added unsprung mass might also dictate a suspension spring rate change.
With that said, I'm contemplating a CPO 2010 E550 and would be a whole lot less concerned about the rotor issue if viable easy fix were available.
It also could be negotiated up front prior to the deal being closed.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 E550
I will add you to my list of people with brake pulsations. Can you tell you how many miles were on the vehicle when you first noticed? So far my collected stats say 13,000 average.
no_mulligan,
Thx.
When I purchased the car, it had ~14k miles and was about one year old. I did notice a subtle judder, but only the original owner would know exactly when it started. However, I would say that it's certainly in the realm of your statistics (one sigma ).
Old 04-21-2013, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by boltonblue
I certainly would be curious to see of the heavier set up from the '12 could be easily (i.e. bolt on)substituted for the '10 brake rotors.
My suspicion is it would probably also require a caliper and carrier change in order to do so.
With that said, I'm contemplating a CPO 2010 E550 and would be a whole lot less concerned about the rotor issue if viable easy fix were available.

no_mulligan posted earlier the history of front brake rotor weights from 2009 to 2010/11 to 2012. 2009 rotor used to be 25.6 lb, 2010/11 18.3 lb and 2012 35.6 lb.

I don't know if the 2009 models had issues but if the added weight is the solution, which it very likely is, you can get heavier rotors from third party.

Just checked AutoZone site. They sell 2010 front rotors ready to bolt on. Their own Duralast brand has weight of 28.7 lb, 2 year warranty for less than $90. Raybestos is 29.0 lb, 1 year warranty just over $100.

I would go with the Duralast as Autozone has been very good with warranty returns if needed. Like my daughter's car wore out brake pads after several years and they gave new set free as they sold them with life time warranty. No questions asked, just presented the receipt.

When it becomes my time to replace the rotors these are the ones I will put on.

Last edited by Arrie; 04-21-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boltonblue

no_mulligan postet earlier the history of front brake rotor weights from 2009 to 2010/11 to 2012. 2009 rotor used to be 25.6 lb, 2010/11 18.3 lb and 2012 35.6 lb.

I don't know if the 2009 models had issues but if the added weight is the solution, which it very likely is, you can get heavier rotors from third party.

Just checked AutoZone site. They sell 2010 front rotors ready to bolt on. Their own Duralast brand has weight of 28.7 lb, 2 year warranty for less than $90. Raybestos is 29.0 lb, 1 year warranty just over $100.

I would go with the Duralast as Autozone has been very good with warranty returns if needed. Like my daughter's car wore out brake pads after several years and they gave new set free as they sold them with life time warranty. No questions asked, just presented the receipt.

When it becomes my time to replace the rotors these are the ones I will put on.
Great information. It's people like you that can take someone's research and turn it into real actionable options.
I hope someone finds the perfect solution for all. And, I include extreme drivers too although I don't know what that means. *smirk*

Thx Arrie!!

Posted from Mbworld.org App for Android
Old 04-21-2013, 03:29 PM

2013 E350 Wagon, prev 2005 ML 500 SE
increase your odds

How can you say "prevent" in one sentence and "might not prevent" in the next?

I call that covering your ***.
It not really that complicated. Bedding gives you the best ODDS of not
developing brake judder but it is not a GUARANTEE. And that is addition
to the other documented/tested brake improvements of bedding.

That's just like any preventative measure/procedure, if you can grasp that
concept. Do you want the best odds of no brake judder OR do you want to
just let it ride, with a brake system known to have judder issues ???

And we're not talking some expensive procedure, it's free .
Old 04-21-2013, 08:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 MB E550 Sport Sedan
You can bed all you want, inferior/defective Rotor like these original ones on E550 from year 2010 thru 2011 will warp due to poor quality in first place. MB have come to know that after numerous complaints and warranty claims. As a result they change parts # twice to resolved these judders due to warpage. MB and Supplier of original rotor will not admit it. Admission to inadequacy of original rotor will mean recall... they will have to replace rotor out of warranty at free of charge to owners. My 2011 E550 rotor warped less than a year of ownership, when had time to take it in. SA said it was out of warranty, wanted $700 to replace, I decide not replace at the time, I didn't want same original problem prone rotor. Since then they have change part. My car is at 35k miles, I bought front Stoptech Cross drilled rotor (28lbs) and Akebono Ultra Premium Ceramic EUR1342 pads for$290 shipped and an indy MB shop will replace and bleed brake for $135. will post the result...."bedding" is a scheme for Manufacturers of defective parts from getting out of warranty claims period. Ask yourself Million of car on the road...how many of the braking system went thru this special bedding process...
Old 04-21-2013, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by HOE550
You can bed all you want.... I bought front Stoptech Cross drilled rotor (28lbs) ...
Stoptech is probably the major proponent of bedding. Ask them about it. Good rotors I'm told BTW.

...."bedding" is a scheme for Manufacturers of defective parts from getting out of warranty claims period..
Car manufacturers don't mention bedding. Stoptech recommends it....did you just buy defective parts

.... Ask yourself Million of car on the road...how many of the braking system went thru this special bedding process...
Million? WAY more than that and the real question is how many needed to? Not many. It's obvious the pad/rotor combination on the '10-'11 E5XX isn't up to the task for many owners so why not do everything possible to mitigate the symptom?
Old 04-22-2013, 12:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 MB E550 Sport Sedan
BEDDING allows a thin layer of the pad material to be transferred into the micro-grooves of the rotor. Proper bedding improves longer pad life & less rotor wear. BEDDING DOES NOT PREVENT DISTORTION of Rotor due to it's inability to withstand heat...Poor quality in design and manufacturing process directly made them prone to warping and material deformation...MB became aware of this that's why they have replace them with new heavier ones! New part #.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BEDDING allows a thin layer of the pad material to be transferred into the micro-grooves of the rotor. Proper bedding improves longer pad life & less rotor wear. BEDDING DOES NOT PREVENT DISTORTION of Rotor due to it's inability to withstand heat...Poor quality in design and manufacturing process directly made them prone to warping and material deformation...MB became aware of this that's why they have replace them with new heavier ones! New part #.

Claiming the drivers do extreme driving with these family cars causing warped rotors and that bedding is the solution for it is total BS. Our "expert" mleskovar seems to have softened a bit though. He goes to say " It's obvious the pad/rotor combination on the '10-'11 E5XX isn't up to the task..." when before it was just about the need for bedding the brakes properly.

In my opinion bedding is only needed when new pads are put on used rotors. Used rotors have grooves so the flat new pads need to be "worn in" to the surface to match the grooves. Until this is done the brake performance is not quite at the best level. This has NOTHING to do with rotors getting warped.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350 BT
Claiming the drivers do extreme driving with these family cars causing warped rotors and that bedding is the solution for it is total BS. Our "expert" mleskovar seems to have softened a bit though. He goes to say " It's obvious the pad/rotor combination on the '10-'11 E5XX isn't up to the task..." when before it was just about the need for bedding the brakes properly.

In my opinion bedding is only needed when new pads are put on used rotors. Used rotors have grooves so the flat new pads need to be "worn in" to the surface to match the grooves. Until this is done the brake performance is not quite at the best level. This has NOTHING to do with rotors getting warped.
Actually, mleskovar is absolutely correct IF the rotor is of good quality to begin with. Bedding does ensure the best braking possible and longevity of the pad and rotor. ALL brakes go through some bedding process, whether it's the owner's manual specifying (250 miles estimated until brakes are fully functional) or someone does it using the procedures most DIYers do, several stops from 60 to 15 ... lather rinse repeat 6-8 times. The problem with these MB parts is that they're obviously crap to begin with. Speed bedding them will give good brake performance, but will not delay the inevitable replacement.

Last edited by thekurgan; 04-22-2013 at 12:38 PM. Reason: really bad speller
Old 04-22-2013, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
BEDDING allows a thin layer of the pad material to be transferred into the micro-grooves of the rotor. Proper bedding improves longer pad life & less rotor wear. BEDDING DOES NOT PREVENT DISTORTION of Rotor due to it's inability to withstand heat....
Yes!! This thin layer of pad material is what gives the brakes some of their stopping ability. Technically referred to as coefficient of friction. Bedding evenly distributes this layer around the rotor. New pads release more material until "cured" (non technical term) with heat from usage. If during the break in period for the pads they reach the temperature to release this material and you stop the rotation of the rotor and allow the transfer to take place...by holding down the brake pedaL....the transfer takes place more in that one spot that comes in contact with the rotor. Sometimes you can see the outline of the pad on the rotor but not feel/measure it because it's only microns. Then the rotor/pads cool down and you have this one (or multiple) spots with different "gripping" power on the rotor. Every time you step on the brakes from then on that spot heats up more than the rest of the rotor and more transfer takes place only on that spot because it's hotter than the cure temperature and it starts building up and adding a few more microns and changing the grip....at that one spot. That's why bedding after the fact makes it worse. So the "judder" that you feel is the oscillation that occurs from the pads grabbing and releasing over and over at those spots. Those oscillations can also cause the common brake squeal. Sometimes you can even feel the car 'lurching' as it comes to a stop because of this. This isn't just theory.

...Poor quality in design and manufacturing process directly made them prone to warping and material deformation...MB became aware of this that's why they have replace them with new heavier ones! New part #.
If this were true it wouldn't still be happening. New part number doesn't necessarily designate redesigned part....but it may, or it could be something as simple as an anti oxidant coating to keep the part pretty until used. My guess is the problem lies in the pads being too 'soft' (another technical term).
Old 04-22-2013, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by thekurgan
... Speed bedding them will give good brake performance, but will not delay the inevitable replacement.
You may be right but the only way to find out is to try it with a properly bedded new set of both pads and rotors. If you don't "smell" the pads during break in then you didn't get them hot enough is what I've been told. If you've tracked a car you know what I mean. I'm still hung up on why this isn't happening to everybody. Arrie's revelation that he's going on 47K miles with the original rotors says something.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350 BT
You may be right but the only way to find out is to try it with a properly bedded new set of both pads and rotors. If you don't "smell" the pads during break in then you didn't get them hot enough is what I've been told. If you've tracked a car you know what I mean. I'm still hung up on why this isn't happening to everybody. Arrie's revelation that he's going on 47K miles with the original rotors says something.
Could be a climate issue where Arrie resides?
Old 04-22-2013, 06:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
E550
I'm still hung up on why this isn't happening to everybody.
You sure are!! Maybe you don't get around much? Engineering, and manufacturing, and metallurgy problems don't always fail for all people.

Often, a screwed up part is screwed up for only a percentage of the production.

After all, only three of the Boeing 787 batteries burned up in airplanes in flight!! Must not be a problem with the batteries, or the airplane!! Otherwise, all of them would have fallen out of the sky!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2012 E550 - Warped rotars for the SECOND TIME