E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Just got my sedan and I need some advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 E350 Sedan
Just got my sedan and I need some advice

Hello everyone. I just picked up a E350 sedan last week.

I've been browsing through this forum looking and reading to get an idea on what I want to do to my car.

After countless hours of browsing and researching, I came to a couple of conclusions on what I want to do. But before I do, I just wanted to ask a couple of questions.

1. I want to lower using the H&R springs. According to everyone that is using them, I would get about 1.4" drop. Am I gonna need new shocks? Will the stock shocks hold up?

If the shocks need to be replaced also then I would not go the drop route.

2. Assuming I keep the stock height, I would then get 19" wheels. What is the best tire size for the 19" wheels if I decide to keep it stock height?
Old 02-26-2013, 03:23 AM

2011 E350
Originally Posted by aprevo15
Hello everyone. I just picked up a E350 sedan last week.

I've been browsing through this forum looking and reading to get an idea on what I want to do to my car.

After countless hours of browsing and researching, I came to a couple of conclusions on what I want to do. But before I do, I just wanted to ask a couple of questions.

1. I want to lower using the H&R springs. According to everyone that is using them, I would get about 1.4" drop. Am I gonna need new shocks? Will the stock shocks hold up?

If the shocks need to be replaced also then I would not go the drop route.

2. Assuming I keep the stock height, I would then get 19" wheels. What is the best tire size for the 19" wheels if I decide to keep it stock height?

Welcome aboard! I bought mine in January of this year and have been loving it so far.

1. I lowered mine with H&R springs just two weeks ago. I'm using the stock shocks & struts as I've read numerous postings that's what other people are doing with no problems. H&R claims you'll get a 1.4" drop in the rear and 1.3" drop in the front. I think this drop claim is for the sport package cars and I would think you'd get more of a drop if your E350 is a non-sport package.

2. I think ideally, you'd want to keep it as close in diameter as the stock diameter. I usually use an online tire size calculator when trying to figure out what size tires would work well -- such as this one: http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp
Old 02-26-2013, 11:42 AM

2013 E350 Sedan
Thanks John. I do have the sports package. I measured the gap between my tires and the body and it's about 2 inches. So 1.4" drop will be perfect I think.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

14' CLS550
You will not need to replace your shocks any time soon. Al tho they will wear out sooner bc of the new springs. You have to consider how long your keeping the car and your future plans. My opinion, a car with after market wheels looks much nicer "lowered".. its a must
Old 02-26-2013, 01:02 PM

2013 E350 Sedan
Originally Posted by bigigg
You will not need to replace your shocks any time soon. Al tho they will wear out sooner bc of the new springs. You have to consider how long your keeping the car and your future plans. My opinion, a car with after market wheels looks much nicer "lowered".. its a must
Yeah I figured I would need to lower it.

My car is a 27 month lease. Probably gonna return it a bit earlier to change up to a different model. Just changing the springs is okay since the springs are cheap and the installation isn't that expensive either.

As for the wheels, I can always sell it when I return the car or re-use it on the new model. Assuming the wheels will look good on the new car as well.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2021 E350
Originally Posted by johnc510
Welcome aboard! I bought mine in January of this year and have been loving it so far.

1. I lowered mine with H&R springs just two weeks ago. I'm using the stock shocks & struts as I've read numerous postings that's what other people are doing with no problems. H&R claims you'll get a 1.4" drop in the rear and 1.3" drop in the front. I think this drop claim is for the sport package cars and I would think you'd get more of a drop if your E350 is a non-sport package.

2. I think ideally, you'd want to keep it as close in diameter as the stock diameter. I usually use an online tire size calculator when trying to figure out what size tires would work well -- such as this one: http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp
Hey John, I just got the H&R springs installed on Saturday. I must say, Not the drop I was looking for. Thought it would be way lower
Old 02-27-2013, 03:12 AM

2011 E350
Originally Posted by aprevo15
Yeah I figured I would need to lower it.
As for the wheels, I can always sell it when I return the car or re-use it on the new model. Assuming the wheels will look good on the new car as well.
MB cars seem to have a wide range of offset values between models and model years so not sure how likely you'll be able to re-use your wheels.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:16 AM

2011 E350
Originally Posted by JackDaRippa
Hey John, I just got the H&R springs installed on Saturday. I must say, Not the drop I was looking for. Thought it would be way lower
I was thinking the same thing when I first installed my H&R springs -- but now two weeks after the installation, it's starting to settle a bit more. You'll want to give it some time to start seeing more drop. But from looking at photos of other w212s with H&Rs, it seems these springs will never remove the gap completely.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2021 E350
Originally Posted by johnc510
I was thinking the same thing when I first installed my H&R springs -- but now two weeks after the installation, it's starting to settle a bit more. You'll want to give it some time to start seeing more drop. But from looking at photos of other w212s with H&Rs, it seems these springs will never remove the gap completely.
I was thinking the same thing about giving them some time. I'll take some pics of the car, still looks better then the stock with 20's.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2009 C300 Sport 4Matic2012 E350 Luxury 4Matic
Hey Guys, I just bought a 2012 W212 E350 Luxury Sedan this past weekend and would like to get some info on lowering it. I looked up some applications on the Eibach and H&R site and saw something about Self Leveling Suspension. I don't know if my car has it but I do see springs as part of my suspension.

Could you please direct me to the a site where I could find the correct application for my 2012 E350 Sedan.