E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Lunar Blue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 04:13 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
2023 XC60 PHEV, 2023 XC40 BEV
Lunar Blue?

Anyone have the "Lunar Blue" paint job and know if it shows the swirls like the black finishes do?

We may be interested in a Lunar Blue E350, but don't want to take on a "part-time" job of keeping it up like a black finish car requires.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 CTS-V, 2017 Audi Q7 / Past MB's: 2011 ML350 & 2012 ML350
My neighbor just picked up a Lunar blue E350 convert, beautiful color that in the sun shows its metallic pretty well. He literally picked it up last week so I really can’t judge how well it’s holding up since it’s so new.

After looking at it I doubt it will show swirls like black, nothing does, I think it will be more forgiving. But since it is a dark color it is more prone to show swirls, rids and any marks more than the lighter colors.

If you use good washing techniques I think you'll be good with the blue.

Last edited by Cyber GS; 04-03-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by samkimg
Anyone have the "Lunar Blue" paint job and know if it shows the swirls like the black finishes do?

We may be interested in a Lunar Blue E350, but don't want to take on a "part-time" job of keeping it up like a black finish car requires.
I've never owned a black car, but I do own a Lunar Blue C-class. It's sufficiently dark that, unless it's under direct sunlight (or dirty), a lot of people can't tell that it's actually blue. So I assume maintenance will be nearly as painful as a black car. I don't wash it often, and I'm pretty fastidious when I do wash it, and it's already got a few swirl marks (barely noticeable) after 1 yr of ownership.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 120 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
Originally Posted by samkimg

Definitely, my neighbors have a lunar blue 2013 and they take it weekly to car washes and it looks swirled after such a small time
Old 04-03-2013, 07:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 SL550 '12 e550, X5 5.0i
I have a lunar blue E. It's a beautiful color in the sunlight, but it does get those annoying swirls.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:46 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
2023 XC60 PHEV, 2023 XC40 BEV
Thanks for the timely advice. We saw a Lunar Blue GLK tonight and decided it was just too dark for us. The salesman actually thought it was black at first too.

I'll be staying with the same 792 Palladium Silver.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:03 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Here's what I've learned from having a dark car (the blackest of black):

It's a part time job to keep it "right". You've gotta have passion and drive to keep it at least decent under direct sunlight.

And the BIGGEST rule of all: NEVER take it to a Car Wash. ONLY wash it yourself or have someone who knows how to carefully wash a dark car (which means they will charge a lot more than any sane person would want to spend on a regular wash).

It's a labor of love and psychosis. If you aren't up for it, avoid or else you'll dry heave every time you see yourself under direct, hard sunlight.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by K-A
Here's what I've learned from having a dark car (the blackest of black):

It's a part time job to keep it "right". You've gotta have passion and drive to keep it at least decent under direct sunlight.

And the BIGGEST rule of all: NEVER take it to a Car Wash. ONLY wash it yourself or have someone who knows how to carefully wash a dark car (which means they will charge a lot more than any sane person would want to spend on a regular wash).

It's a labor of love and psychosis. If you aren't up for it, avoid or else you'll dry heave every time you see yourself under direct, hard sunlight.
^^ So very true, and spoken like a true psycho, just like me…LOL.

I am on my 5th black car after swearing after each one that I would never buy another. The difference this time is it’s not my daily driver, if it was, I would go nuts. My daily driver is white pearl for a reason.

I have the paint about 85-90% swirl free and that is fine with me, it looks great in direct sun with a slight, very faint mark here or there.

https://mbworld.org/forums/members/cyber-gs-189967-albums-pics-7070-picture-cts-v-frt-fen-35685.html

I have said it for years. “Black isn’t a color, it’s a second job” ..

"But after this one I swear never again" .....…. At least I hope not.. Yes, I need help.

Last edited by Cyber GS; 04-04-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:11 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by Cyber GS
^^ So very true, and spoken like a true psycho, just like me…LOL.

I am on my 5th black car after swearing after each one that I would never buy another. The difference this time is it’s not my daily driver, if it was, I would go nuts. My daily driver is white pearl for a reason.

I have the paint about 85-90% swirl free and that is fine with me, it looks great in direct sun with a slight, very faint mark here or there.

https://mbworld.org/forums/members/cyber-gs-189967-albums-pics-7070-picture-cts-v-frt-fen-35685.html

I have said it for years. “Black isn’t a color, it’s a second job” ..

"But after this one I swear never again" .....…. At least I hope not.. Yes, I need help.
Lol. So true. I'm already captured by the "dark side". Now whenever I see a white car I feel so superior....

Yeah, unfortunately after paying $300 for a full paint correction (due to a car wash swirling the crap out of the car.... knew I shouldn't even taken it to one ONCE, even though I researched and researched and found the "best rated" wash around me) which at least is a good price for that work, I washed my car myself and used a product I shouldn't have. Being that it was the first time fully washing my first black (JET black at that) car, my buffing technique was also wrong. Therefore I probably undid about 20-40% of his correction and left some swirls. Now I'm just hoping that coat of Sealant he put on wasn't affected.

GOOD news is, yet another mistake taught me yet another valuable lesson. Now I have the washing technique all good.

Currently when I see my car under HARD sunlight, I can also see some slight swirls, but it's acceptable to me as it's not too harsh, bad nor distracting. Again, just one slightly "off" wash's worth, which means I can't really afford another, however doesn't drive me too nuts. After my next paint correction maybe I can seek "perfection" (actually, perfection is what you don't want with black! THAT'S what will drive you nuts! Accepting that light swirls are inevitable will allow more sanity into your life).
Old 04-05-2013, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by K-A
Lol. So true. I'm already captured by the "dark side". Now whenever I see a white car I feel so superior....

Yeah, unfortunately after paying $300 for a full paint correction (due to a car wash swirling the crap out of the car.... knew I shouldn't even taken it to one ONCE, even though I researched and researched and found the "best rated" wash around me) which at least is a good price for that work, I washed my car myself and used a product I shouldn't have. Being that it was the first time fully washing my first black (JET black at that) car, my buffing technique was also wrong. Therefore I probably undid about 20-40% of his correction and left some swirls. Now I'm just hoping that coat of Sealant he put on wasn't affected.

GOOD news is, yet another mistake taught me yet another valuable lesson. Now I have the washing technique all good.

Currently when I see my car under HARD sunlight, I can also see some slight swirls, but it's acceptable to me as it's not too harsh, bad nor distracting. Again, just one slightly "off" wash's worth, which means I can't really afford another, however doesn't drive me too nuts. After my next paint correction maybe I can seek "perfection" (actually, perfection is what you don't want with black! THAT'S what will drive you nuts! Accepting that light swirls are inevitable will allow more sanity into your life).
You’re so right. 100% perfection is just about impossible with a black car, and until you realize this you will drive yourself nuts. Yes it can be achieved with a good paint correction but it won’t last long no matter how careful you are.

I can’t be any more careful. Two bucket method when I wash, I blow most of the water off with a leaf blower. I use good quality MF towels, I always use plenty of detail spray as lube that I spray directly onto the remaining water when I dry. I always wipe in a back and forth motion and never in a circular motion and inevitably I will notice something.

Yes most people think I’m nuts, and I’m ok with that
Old 04-05-2013, 02:12 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2015, ML250 BlueTEC
Black swirles

Originally Posted by Cyber GS
You’re so right. 100% perfection is just about impossible with a black car, and until you realize this you will drive yourself nuts. Yes it can be achieved with a good paint correction but it won’t last long no matter how careful you are.

I can’t be any more careful. Two bucket method when I wash, I blow most of the water off with a leaf blower. I use good quality MF towels, I always use plenty of detail spray as lube that I spray directly onto the remaining water when I dry. I always wipe in a back and forth motion and never in a circular motion and inevitably I will notice something.

Yes most people think I’m nuts, and I’m ok with that
I do most of the above--no power blower. I also use Eagle 1 NANOWAX. Our cars have a nano paint. I have been using these products on several MB's. A always buy black. Also use same product detailer. I am a detail nut so am very picky. NEVER to a car wash. Haven't noticed any swirls. Use only high quality MF products. NO Walmart!