E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

What is PCM'reset' do for my 2012 W212-

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 12:36 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2015, ML250 BlueTEC
What is PCM'reset' do for my 2012 W212-

Have read what I can on this discussion,including 'how to reset'. But can't find a detailed explanation of what it does or improves. What will I REALLY notice? What will a reset do to the existing factory settings? Will I screw up other things?

Last edited by greasykid; 05-26-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
no, you won't screw up anything. it'll solve the throttle delay issue. it's been discussed in a few other threads but i don't mind to say it again. i used to use s mode almost every time i start the car but not after the reset. you can feel the different right away. try it and report back .
Old 05-27-2013, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 930 Likes on 658 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by greasykid
Have read what I can on this discussion,including 'how to reset'. But can't find a detailed explanation of what it does or improves. What will I REALLY notice? What will a reset do to the existing factory settings? Will I screw up other things?

It will reset the driving habit adaptation for the tranny / engine. You will absolutely not mess up anything.

If your car has developed a lag on the gas pedal it will take care of this until the learning takes it back to what you now have and a new reset is needed. I did reset two days ago and it improves the gas pedal responsiveness every time.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 131 Posts
Too many german broads
Originally Posted by Arrie
It will reset the driving habit adaptation for the tranny / engine. You will absolutely not mess up anything.

If your car has developed a lag on the gas pedal it will take care of this until the learning takes it back to what you now have and a new reset is needed. I did reset two days ago and it improves the gas pedal responsiveness every time.
What is the process of doing this, I'm having this issue on my 2010. Thanks
Old 05-30-2013, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 930 Likes on 658 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by Kushp14
What is the process of doing this, I'm having this issue on my 2010. Thanks

1. Get in car and close the door.
2. Turn key to position 2 (or press the start button twice) with feet off the pedals, i.e. do NOT start the engine.
3. Floor the gas pedal and keep it down waiting 10 seconds when you will turn the key to position 1 (or press the start button once) still keeping the gas pedal down.
4. After key in position 1 lift you foot from the gas pedal and wait about two minutes. In my car the cluster goes black after about 20 seconds but then pops up again after about two minutes. Anyhow, wait two minutes no matter what happens.
5. Turn key off.
6. Go test drive it. You will have a different car to drive.

As I do it I don't open doors or anything while I wait that two minutes. Just listen to the radio. I don't know if opening the door would cancel the reset but it has worked for me every time and I have not opened doors during the reset.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:55 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2015, ML250 BlueTEC
PCM reset done

Originally Posted by BM2BZ
no, you won't screw up anything. it'll solve the throttle delay issue. it's been discussed in a few other threads but i don't mind to say it again. i used to use s mode almost every time i start the car but not after the reset. you can feel the different right away. try it and report back .
Before leaving on a 500 mi. road trip 2 days ago did reset. Nice improvement. Watched my dash while reset. My dash did not turn on but instead went off after about 75 secs. Don't know if this (doubt it)had anything to do with it but got great gas mileage. Started from NC up I77 thru mountains to Cleveland. Speed;legal plus 3-5 mph. Avg. 33mpg. Had recent A service and put a bottle of Techron in a couple of days before leaving. Don't know if any or all this effected performance milage but love the results. Now have 10,000 + miles on odo. By the way bought Premium gas in Virginia for $3.41. In Cleveland today Regular grade is approx $3.60.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 131 Posts
Too many german broads
Originally Posted by Arrie
1. Get in car and close the door.
2. Turn key to position 2 (or press the start button twice) with feet off the pedals, i.e. do NOT start the engine.
3. Floor the gas pedal and keep it down waiting 10 seconds when you will turn the key to position 1 (or press the start button once) still keeping the gas pedal down.
4. After key in position 1 lift you foot from the gas pedal and wait about two minutes. In my car the cluster goes black after about 20 seconds but then pops up again after about two minutes. Anyhow, wait two minutes no matter what happens.
5. Turn key off.
6. Go test drive it. You will have a different car to drive.

As I do it I don't open doors or anything while I wait that two minutes. Just listen to the radio. I don't know if opening the door would cancel the reset but it has worked for me every time and I have not opened doors during the reset.
Thank you ! It worked and I notice a difference. I always wondered why my 06 e350 never drove like my 10 lol.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
great to hear you guys are happy with the result .
Old 06-02-2013, 05:00 PM

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury 4Matic
I must be doing something wrong. Following Arrie's procedure, in step 4 after I removed foot from pedal I wait, but nothing happens in instrument cluster - It just stays lit. I noticed that with navigation/radio/command turned on, it did shut off by itself after past two minutes. Is this related to PCM reset?
I've tried this almost a dozen times now, oh well, I know what it feels like to have wide open throttle now, hehe.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
Originally Posted by mbuster25
I must be doing something wrong. Following Arrie's procedure, in step 4 after I removed foot from pedal I wait, but nothing happens in instrument cluster - It just stays lit. I noticed that with navigation/radio/command turned on, it did shut off by itself after past two minutes. Is this related to PCM reset?
I've tried this almost a dozen times now, oh well, I know what it feels like to have wide open throttle now, hehe.
same thing happened to me and i first thought i didn't do it correctly after couple times (you can see my post under that long thread) but it turned out ok.