E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

WHAT A JOKE!! DONE WITH THIS CAR!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C300 & 2014 E350
There are plenty of 20 year old's who have made more money than you would tend to believe so I believe the OP when he says he made his money and bought his own cars.

There are plenty of 40 year old's who are still making minimum wage, so to each their own.

The matter of the topic is this: Does the OP have the right and will he be successful in asking for a CLS550 instead? I'm sure the dealer will make him a deal as they can easily fix the lever and take the OP's car and CPO it and at the same time sell him a CLS550 and keep everyone happy. Even if he gets out of his lease 9 months early I'm sure the resale value after the dealer CPO's it will still be a nice chunk of change.

OP-my word of advice is to just stay calm and professional and try to work out some numbers. If you aren't happy with the numbers visit a few other dealerships and see what the best they can do. I'm sure there are plenty of other dealerships that are dying for OP's business since he buys and goes through many cars. OP-when you do visit the other dealers I would bring in all 10 of your sales contracts to show the new dealer you are serious and you have bought many cars before. When they see that I'm sure they won't let you walk out the door without making a deal.

Let us know what you come out with. Hopefully a CLS550, those cars are NICE!
Old 07-28-2013, 09:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 CLS550, 2016 HD Roadglide (120ST), 1972 Super Beetle
Will be interested to see how this turns out. Good luck tomorrow...keep us posted.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E350 4matic Designo, 2014 ML350 4matic Sport, 2013 Cls550
Originally Posted by 2006_C350
There are plenty of 20 year old's who have made more money than you would tend to believe so I believe the OP when he says he made his money and bought his own cars.

There are plenty of 40 year old's who are still making minimum wage, so to each their own.

The matter of the topic is this: Does the OP have the right and will he be successful in asking for a CLS550 instead? I'm sure the dealer will make him a deal as they can easily fix the lever and take the OP's car and CPO it and at the same time sell him a CLS550 and keep everyone happy. Even if he gets out of his lease 9 months early I'm sure the resale value after the dealer CPO's it will still be a nice chunk of change.

OP-my word of advice is to just stay calm and professional and try to work out some numbers. If you aren't happy with the numbers visit a few other dealerships and see what the best they can do. I'm sure there are plenty of other dealerships that are dying for OP's business since he buys and goes through many cars. OP-when you do visit the other dealers I would bring in all 10 of your sales contracts to show the new dealer you are serious and you have bought many cars before. When they see that I'm sure they won't let you walk out the door without making a deal.

Let us know what you come out with. Hopefully a CLS550, those cars are NICE!
Much appreciated man! Great to see that someone on here has a clear head! Will have some news tomorrow, I'm not even sure the car has gone in for repair yet, so will get the update. Will also discuss the situation calmly with the owner of the dealership and see what we come up with. By the way, off topic but I am totally impressed with my 2013 c 300 loaner car, thing is totally leaps and bounds better than the pre facelift model. What an improvement!
Old 07-28-2013, 10:35 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
There are only 3 technical ways this can go:

1-MBUSA themselves suck it up and get you out of your Lease, free of charge (Lemon Law wouldn't apply here I'm sure, so it would be akin to an "unofficial lemon") as a total customer service loyalty reward thing.

2-The Dealer will suck it up and take it for the team by getting you out of your Lease, free of charge, with the incentive to sell you yet another new car (unlikely as the dealer will have to pay off more of your cars balance than what the car is worth, as is always the case in highly subsidized leases with artificially high residuals).

3-(most likely scenario) They'll say "Sure, we'd love to get you out of your car and into a new one, which we'll give you a great deal on" (it'll be a standard deal they would have pitched to you regardless of your current cars troubles). Then they'd proceed to say "Your car has a remaining balance of (let's pretend) $45K and we list it as being worth $41K". They'll probably then say that they'll give you a "little more" for your car than usual, due to your troubles, and then give you a "better" deal on the next car, but it won't be any different than negotiating a good deal even without your current situation. They'll tell you that they'll roll the current excess balance (that you'd owe) into the new Lease, thus "disguising it".

Fact is, if you take the bait on #3, you didn't "get anything" for your troubles, you simply got out of your Lease early, paid extra out of pocket as the car was worth less than what you owe.

Bonus #4- If you really want to get them to actually *give you* something for your problems, call MBUSA and tell them after so many M-B's who have the same shifter, you don't feel safe and are threatening to leave to another brand (BMW or Audi) and will take those all 10-cars-per-every-few-years replacements with you. Tell the dealer the same thing. Tell them the poor design location thus nature of their shifter stalk has you considering competitors more worthy of your safety and business.

If you really want to get out of this car free of excess charge and on their dime (MBUSA and/or the dealer), then #4 has to be your game plan.

Now, if you have a truly helpful and giving dealer who will swallow this themselves, consider yourself fortunate and give them all the business you can. Furthermore If MBUSA automatically get you out of your Lease free of charge on their dime, then that's a helluva showing of customer service on their part.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:46 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Chances are they will tell you that it was an unfortunate occurrence and a rare one. That they've fixed it and now it's better, giving you little leverage. You wanting another car so quickly from them gives them the impression that you're not a potential lost client instead are simply still wanting another new Benz even through your large distaste for your current one.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by K-A
Chances are they will tell you that it was an unfortunate occurrence and a rare one. That they've fixed it and now it's better, giving you little leverage. You wanting another car so quickly from them gives them the impression that you're not a potential lost client instead are simply still wanting another new Benz even through your large distaste for your current one.
Thanks K-A, certainly agree with you about those scenarios. We will see, one thing I would never fall for in the "rolling in" trick, oldest one In the book and I always laugh when I hear about them trying to sneak that in. I'm sure eventually I will get my way, Pretty much just a matter of how far I'm willing to take it.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:00 PM

2010 C300 & 2014 E350
OP-what numbers were you looking for in terms of "my way"?
Old 07-28-2013, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by 2006_C350
OP-what numbers were you looking for in terms of "my way"?
Not to sure, yet haven't done any major research yet regarding pricing of a cls. This happened on Friday and I had plans for a weekend trip, so I actually haven't even found out if my car has gone in for repair or what the timeline would be. Just from what I've heard what others are paying I think a fair deal for a cls with an 84k msrp on a 24 month lease with 0 down should land somewhere close to 980-1000 per month.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by JDBKLYN89
This was before the gym! Never made it in haha. Nor did about a dozen other people who I was blocking!
Too many scoops bro
Old 07-29-2013, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 124 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
If I were the dealer, I would suck up nothing. I would make you the same good deal that has kept you and your family dealing with this dealership.

All customers are valuable but are not entitled to new cars for a small warranty claim. As you mature you will understand this.

If you don't like what they do, rent a BMW when your lease expires in eight months. After all, you will only be 25 by then.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:31 AM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Originally Posted by petee1997
If I were the dealer, I would suck up nothing. I would make you the same good deal that has kept you and your family dealing with this dealership.

All customers are valuable but are not entitled to new cars for a small warranty claim. As you mature you will understand this.

If you don't like what they do, rent a BMW when your lease expires in eight months. After all, you will only be 25 by then.
You know, with the internet you can be who you want to be - including a 18 year old zillionaire.

If there are multiple MBs in the family and "you take the car at the end of the driveway" then he didn't earn his money the hard way, but (if we believe that he's had 4 MB's registered in his name) it obviously came from family. At best, he's working in the family business and at worst he's a bum living off the family leaving the house only to go to the gym.

" WHAT A JOKE!! DONE WITH THIS CAR! " would leave the reader to believe that he's had a long list of failures ending with the stalk breaking. Reading further clarifies that he's bored with the car and wants to spend more family money.

If I were the dealer then I'd call up papa and say "you need to talk to sonny boy, he needs a dose of reality."

Is the failure unpleasant? Probably. Is it a reason to return the car? Probably not.

Will the spoiled young'un get his way? Probably, because that is how he was raised - whine and you get what you want.

I'm sure he'llcome back with some sort of retort about how he himself is richer than Bill Gates and I'll let him have him few moments of internet fame, but I'm not sure that we can believe any of his future posts about resolution - probably that the dealer signed over the entire dealership to him.

You're right - a BMW will do him good. He'll really learn what warranty claims are.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
WOW that many brand new MBs bought between age 18 and 24? LOL. Prior to the W212, I believe this particular shifter was only used in the W221 S-Class. So I am guessing the OP may be feeling like bagging this lowly E Class for the new S-Class that he bought new all by himself at age 18, with no help from anyone. I would think that a truly independent 18 year old would just want that S-Class so they could look older. Of course, if the OP is as independently wealthy as he claims, why is he still living at daddy's house at age 24 and using whatever car is available in the driveway rather than the one he bought? This is just a BS kid story, hoping to find sympathetic ears. I think the OP should just man-up and tell his dad he was a bit too aggressive with the shifter on his way to go "pump-up" the biceps, and it broke. With the number of vehicles that the OP has purchased, all with the same shifter, and with no other problems, the over-reaction to this incident is unfortunate and sounds like BS to me. As this thread dragged on, the BS just kept getting deeper and deeper. I hope it works out for the OP and that he does not get grounded or lose his driving privs. My parents were never that dumb.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:44 AM

2010 e350
wow, what's with the personal attacks on the OP? BTW, did you see the size of his arms? Bet you wouldn't say half the trash written here to his face otherwise he may get you in a headlock and make you cry, "uncle!".
Old 07-29-2013, 11:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2012 e350 wagon
Hmmm.

I like the shifter, though it does make it difficult to move from car to car.

To the OP -- take the internet for what it is. As for this: it's a car, a nice one at that, and it's under warranty. And, it's a fluke. Let us know how it turns out, and what the failure really was.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:59 AM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not exactly looking for special treatment. This specific vehicle has not lived up to my expectations of reliability and quality from a Mercedes Benz vehicle. This was a dangerous and very disheartening malfunction of a very key piece of equipment. Given that the car is over a year old I never had suggested that it qualified under the lemon law. But I am not going to feel comfortable driving a car every day worrying about what is going to happen next. This is my 3rd w212 and the only one i've had a major issue with. I will calmly explain this to my dealer who I have a great relationship with, and hopefully we can come to an agreement where everyone is happy and I can leave with a vehicle I am fully confident in.

And yes while I've technically only had 4 vehicles titled to myself with this specific shifter it is sort of you grab which ever car is at the foot of the drive in my family so I've driven each and every one of our vehicles a fairly even amount of time.
Dude, totally uncalled for and inaccurate. I have paid for every single one of my cars myself since I was 18 years old, what my parents have is not mine, and i was raised to believe that. I am the one who goes through cars much faster than anyone in my family, so am primarily responsible for our relationship with our dealer. I have had 5 brand new Benz's myself and I paid every single cent, nothing handed to me. This kind of talk is not appreciated and not constructive in any way. Please keep the conversation related to the topic. Thanks!
Originally Posted by ImInPA
WOW that many brand new MBs bought between age 18 and 24? LOL. Prior to the W212, I believe this particular shifter was only used in the W221 S-Class. So I am guessing the OP may be feeling like bagging this lowly E Class for the new S-Class that he bought new all by himself at age 18, with no help from anyone. I would think that a truly independent 18 year old would just want that S-Class so they could look older. Of course, if the OP is as independently wealthy as he claims, why is he still living at daddy's house at age 24 and using whatever car is available in the driveway rather than the one he bought? This is just a BS kid story, hoping to find sympathetic ears. I think the OP should just man-up and tell his dad he was a bit too aggressive with the shifter on his way to go "pump-up" the biceps, and it broke. With the number of vehicles that the OP has purchased, all with the same shifter, and with no other problems, the over-reaction to this incident is unfortunate and sounds like BS to me. As this thread dragged on, the BS just kept getting deeper and deeper. I hope it works out for the OP and that he does not get grounded or lose his driving privs. My parents were never that dumb.
ImInPA. He's had more than 4 new cars in those 6 years - only 4 (or is it 5) that were MB's with this particular stalk.

This isn't an attack on the OP, just an attempt at clearing up some "inconsistencies" in his statements. This thread went downhill when he claimed not to trust this shifter then wanted a different car with the same shifter. That caused some of us to re-read his posts and the flag just keeps jumping out.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:57 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by mountainrivera
wow, what's with the personal attacks on the OP? BTW, did you see the size of his arms? Bet you wouldn't say half the trash written here to his face otherwise he may get you in a headlock and make you cry, "uncle!".
+1........some of the older crowd is really giving this young guy a hard time....we've all made mistakes; just try to offer some support instead of all the flaming! lets save that for KA and his BMW
Old 07-29-2013, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by ImInPA

First off you are proving to be far more ignorant than I have ever been evern at my young age of 24. Your ignorance spans far beyond your false judgement of sombody's character and extends all the way into Mercedes Benz vehicles, The 2007 ML350 featured this transmission stalk. My first vehicle was a 2005 c230 which was a gift. Then as follows:
2007 ML 350 - Direct shift lever
2009 Clk 350 - Conventional shifter
2010 E350 - Direct shift lever
2011 E350 - Direct shift lever
2012 E350 - Direct Shift lever

5 Brand new MB's in my name paid for by me, 4 with direct shift lever. I don't know where the inconsistencies are or why I am even taking the time to address this utter ignorance. Never claimed to be independently wealthy, worked my butt off bar tending through college, graduated from one of the best business programs in the city, now make well into 6 figures at my age. Nothing but hard work and dedication. Don't live with my "daddy" but am extremely close with my family, my father is one of my best friends and I am over there for dinner 3 or 4 times a week. It's called having values; values that have served me pretty well so far. Thank you.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:15 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

First off you are proving to be far more ignorant than I have ever been evern at my young age of 24. Your ignorance spans far beyond your false judgement of sombody's character and extends all the way into Mercedes Benz vehicles, The 2007 ML350 featured this transmission stalk. My first vehicle was a 2005 c230 which was a gift. Then as follows:
2007 ML 350 - Direct shift lever
2009 Clk 350 - Conventional shifter
2010 E350 - Direct shift lever
2011 E350 - Direct shift lever
2012 E350 - Direct Shift lever

5 Brand new MB's in my name paid for by me, 4 with direct shift lever. I don't know where the inconsistencies are or why I am even taking the time to address this utter ignorance. Never claimed to be independently wealthy, worked my butt off bar tending through college, graduated from one of the best business programs in the city, now make well into 6 figures at my age. Nothing but hard work and dedication. Don't live with my "daddy" but am extremely close with my family, my father is one of my best friends and I am over there for dinner 3 or 4 times a week. It's called having values; values that have served me pretty well so far. Thank you.
Your list seems to miss the cars you have listed below your avatar space, namely:

2012 Ml350 4matic, 2011 c300 4matic
Old 07-29-2013, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by CEB
Your list seems to miss the cars you have listed below your avatar space, namely:

2012 Ml350 4matic, 2011 c300 4matic
Dude, I don't lie so everyone can nitpick all they want. Those are other MB'a in the family that I drive regularly. We're not included in the list because they err not paid for and titled by me. Wouldn't wanna do that now would I
Old 07-29-2013, 01:30 PM

Also happy to provide w-2, investment statements, credit report, and my first born son if that'll please the masses
Old 07-29-2013, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 124 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
I must admit that the inconsistencies are making the OP more difficult to believe. The present car is a lease. Were they all leases?

Does he live at home or does he have his own place?

I think the OP should start from scratch saying simply that his car broke down and that he intends to have it fixed. Sometime in the future when his lease expires he plans on getting a CLS. End of story and no one would question the facts.

In any event, this has been a fun thread and certainly breaks the monotony from our usual postings...... at least the boring crap that K-A and I post.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:57 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

So, to get back on topic - What did the dealer say? Has he given you a new CLS at no charge yet AND given you two free coupons for Burger King?

I don't think anyone wants your first born but your tax returns with all your personal information would be helpful. Then we can all get CLS' in your name
Old 07-29-2013, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by petee1997
I must admit that the inconsistencies are making the OP more difficult to believe. The present car is a lease. Were they all leases?

Does he live at home or does he have his own place?

I think the OP should start from scratch saying simply that his car broke down and that he intends to have it fixed. Sometime in the future when his lease expires he plans on getting a CLS. End of story and no one would question the facts.

In any event, this has been a fun thread and certainly breaks the monotony from our usual postings...... at least the boring crap that K-A and I post.
It's so funny to see how far people are taking this posting from its original intention. Do I live at home, or lease my cars? how in any way shape or form is that relevant? There have been no inconsistencies on my part, as there is no need to lie, nothing impressive about driving a moderately priced MB. Staff drive E classes around here. All my cars except for my original C class have been leased, I prefer it that way, always get a 24 month lease and usually utilize the pull ahead program to upgrade 5-6 months early. I do not live at home but cherish every moment with my family, so am generally at my folks house a couple nights a week and stay there most weekends. Nothing wrong with that. Want to spend this time with them while I still have it.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by CEB
So, to get back on topic - What did the dealer say? Has he given you a new CLS at no charge yet AND given you two free coupons for Burger King?

I don't think anyone wants your first born but your tax returns with all your personal information would be helpful. Then we can all get CLS' in your name
hahahahaha I am heading there after work to discuss in person, so no news as of right now. Would love a coupon to burger king though, great suggestion!
Old 07-29-2013, 02:20 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's so funny to see how far people are taking this posting from its original intention. Do I live at home, or lease my cars? how in any way shape or form is that relevant? There have been no inconsistencies on my part, as there is no need to lie, nothing impressive about driving a moderately priced MB. Staff drive E classes around here. All my cars except for my original C class have been leased, I prefer it that way, always get a 24 month lease and usually utilize the pull ahead program to upgrade 5-6 months early. I do not live at home but cherish every moment with my family, so am generally at my folks house a couple nights a week and stay there most weekends. Nothing wrong with that. Want to spend this time with them while I still have it.
Wait, I thought that one wasn't yours?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: WHAT A JOKE!! DONE WITH THIS CAR!