E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

How to input Comand while driving and not use voice commands?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic; 2016 GL350 Bluetec; 2005 F430 Spider
How to input Comand while driving and not use voice commands?

We have a 2013 E350 4-Matic and a 2013 ML350 Bluetec. Both will not let the passenger use the navigation while driving unless voice commands are used. These are way too slow and too much of a hassle versus the way Comand works when parked. Does anyone know how to turn this feature off so we can use Comand while the car is moving? There must be a way to turn this off that is not in the manual?

Thanks.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 e350
there is only one way and it is through the use of product that is sold on ebay and other sites. it is not mercedes licensed or produced but it allows you to use the comand while driving and also to watch videos while in motion. im sure someone has a link here for the site.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 E350 Sedan
This is the device I used in my car:

http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/shop/in...ode=view&id=58

Very easy to install and you don't have to remove part of the dash and the radio to do it.

Works great for inputing addresses while moving. Haven't tested the video function on it.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic; 2016 GL350 Bluetec; 2005 F430 Spider
Originally Posted by LasVegasMike
This is the device I used in my car:

http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/shop/in...ode=view&id=58

Very easy to install and you don't have to remove part of the dash and the radio to do it.

Works great for inputing addresses while moving. Haven't tested the video function on it.
Thanks but that seems like overkill for me as I don't watch videos in the car. Is there any sequence of codes to enter into the system to just bypass the lockout of navigation input while moving?
Old 03-01-2014, 01:54 PM

2011 E350 Sedan
Originally Posted by MVDESQ
Thanks but that seems like overkill for me as I don't watch videos in the car. Is there any sequence of codes to enter into the system to just bypass the lockout of navigation input while moving?
The ONLY way to accomplish this is with an aftermarket device such as the one I linked to. However being that it is 'overkill' you're stuck using voice input, or stopping to use the command wheel.

Just because you install the device doesn't mean you have to use the video feature.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Be aware that adding an aftermarket device/product to your car may void the warranty. Also, the infotainment system is the most "repaired" part of any car today, especially MB's.
Most (all?) manufactures preclude manual inputs while car is in motion as a safety feature.
I have used voice for over four years and much prefer it to the manual inputs. Much simpler and quicker.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:51 AM

2011 E350 Sedan
Originally Posted by El Cid
Be aware that adding an aftermarket device/product to your car may void the warranty. Also, the infotainment system is the most "repaired" part of any car today, especially MB's.
Most (all?) manufactures preclude manual inputs while car is in motion as a safety feature.
I have used voice for over four years and much prefer it to the manual inputs. Much simpler and quicker.

They would have to know the device is in the car to raise an issue. In my case the device I used is located under that passenger kick panel far away from the radio. Plus it can be turned off with three pushes of a button on the steering wheel.

Plus here in the US Federal law protects consumers that add aftermarket accessories to their vehicles. The dealer or vehicle manufacturer has to prove that the accessory caused the malfunction of the warrant claim you are trying to make. In other words they wouldn't be able to deny a warrant claim on a gas cap because of an electronic item.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
They will know

Originally Posted by LasVegasMike
They would have to know the device is in the car to raise an issue. In my case the device I used is located under that passenger kick panel far away from the radio. Plus it can be turned off with three pushes of a button on the steering wheel.

Plus here in the US Federal law protects consumers that add aftermarket accessories to their vehicles. The dealer or vehicle manufacturer has to prove that the accessory caused the malfunction of the warrant claim you are trying to make. In other words they wouldn't be able to deny a warrant claim on a gas cap because of an electronic item.
No matter where you hid it or if you turn it off, their computers will tell them something else is in the system. Then they will have reasonable cause to deny warranty for any components that may be affected by the aftermarket part. Then it is up to you to get a lawyer to prove otherwise - against the legal manpower of MBUSA and DAG.
True, they would not be able to deny a suspension or engine issue for an infotainment add-on, but they would have good cause to deny an electronic/COMAND issue.
Read the Operator's Manual and the Maintenance Manual.