Extended warranty advice - offered MB extended limited warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Extended warranty advice - offered MB extended limited warranty

This week, I purchased a MY11 E550 from Carmax and was offered their MaxCare warranty. According to the SA at the local MB dealer, he felt the coverage of MaxCare was as good as Fidelity and other 3rd party coverages as far as exclusions, getting to use the dealer directly, loaner coverage, etc.

However, while I was visiting the dealer to have the car inspected yesterday, the finance rep came to talk to me about the MB extended limited warranty which is the one they sell during the original factory warranty. Since the mileage on the car is 50,400 putting it out of warranty, he had to call the extended warranty rep to see if they would allow it. They will allow an exception and let me purchase it if I choose.

The SA felt the MB extended warranty was better than the others - Fidelity, MaxCare, etc. However, I have not seen any documents on what is not covered under the MB extended limited. I would like to compare that to what MaxCare offers. Does anyone have any information on what the MB extended limited warranty doesn't cover? I have requested from the finance rep but haven't gotten it yet.

From a price standpoint, here are the comparable plans between MB and MaxCare:

MaxCare: 6 years from purchase (expires 4/2020), 100k total miles (50k more than I have now), $50 ded ($0 if taken to CarMax), cost = $4449

MB extended limited warranty: 3.5 years (7 years from in service of 10/2010, or until 10/2017), 100k total miles (50k more than I have now), $0 ded, cost = $4389

As you can see they are very close in price, but the main difference is the MaxCare is good for 2.5 years longer. I only drive about 8k a year so I would theoretically get to use all of the 6 years with MaxCare before I hit the mileage limit.

There are other options under MaxCare but I posted that one since they are more comparable on deductible and mileage to the MB ELW. If I go with MaxCare I will likely get a higher deductible to save on the premium up front. Most of their options have a breakeven of 5-6 uses if you go with the higher deductible and it lowers the cost to $3k.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-02-2014, 11:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'10 W212 4matic P2-Distronic / '14 Cayenne / '04 X5 3.0 / '13 Altima
Originally Posted by thefisch
This week, I purchased a MY11 E550 from Carmax and was offered their MaxCare warranty. According to the SA at the local MB dealer, he felt the coverage of MaxCare was as good as Fidelity and other 3rd party coverages as far as exclusions, getting to use the dealer directly, loaner coverage, etc.

However, while I was visiting the dealer to have the car inspected yesterday, the finance rep came to talk to me about the MB extended limited warranty which is the one they sell during the original factory warranty. Since the mileage on the car is 50,400 putting it out of warranty, he had to call the extended warranty rep to see if they would allow it. They will allow an exception and let me purchase it if I choose.

The SA felt the MB extended warranty was better than the others - Fidelity, MaxCare, etc. However, I have not seen any documents on what is not covered under the MB extended limited. I would like to compare that to what MaxCare offers. Does anyone have any information on what the MB extended limited warranty doesn't cover? I have requested from the finance rep but haven't gotten it yet.

From a price standpoint, here are the comparable plans between MB and MaxCare:

MaxCare: 6 years from purchase (expires 4/2020), 100k total miles (50k more than I have now), $50 ded ($0 if taken to CarMax), cost = $4449

MB extended limited warranty: 3.5 years (7 years from in service of 10/2010, or until 10/2017), 100k total miles (50k more than I have now), $0 ded, cost = $4389

As you can see they are very close in price, but the main difference is the MaxCare is good for 2.5 years longer. I only drive about 8k a year so I would theoretically get to use all of the 6 years with MaxCare before I hit the mileage limit.

There are other options under MaxCare but I posted that one since they are more comparable on deductible and mileage to the MB ELW. If I go with MaxCare I will likely get a higher deductible to save on the premium up front. Most of their options have a breakeven of 5-6 uses if you go with the higher deductible and it lowers the cost to $3k.

Any thoughts?
I bought ELW on my 2010 with 25 thousand miles for 2300. 3/75k.

Free loaner cars with ELW . They aren't doing you any favors with the price, but are doing you a favor by offering you the ELW at your current mileage.

At those prices I would go with the 3rd party especially if you are keeping the car for more than 3 years

http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalA...d_warranty.pdf

http://extendedlimitedwarranty.merce...rage-documents

Last edited by kash2014; 04-02-2014 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Originally Posted by kash2014
I bought ELW on my 2010 with 25 thousand miles for 2300. 3/75k.

Free loaner cars with ELW . They aren't doing you any favors with the price, but are doing you a favor by offering you the ELW at your current mileage.

At those prices I would go with the 3rd party especially if you are keeping the car for more than 3 years

http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalA...d_warranty.pdf

http://extendedlimitedwarranty.merce...rage-documents
MaxCare covers loaners also. If you take it to Carmax, you get one of their loaners and $50 off ded. If you take it to the MB dealer, you get one of theirs. Incidentally, they did offer me the 3/75 for $2,899 - still not as good as your price.

Thanks for posting the links. I will copy and past the exclusions here for others to see.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
MB ELW exclusions

Exclusions:

DAMAGE DUE TO LACK OF MAINTENANCE: Lack of proper maintenance as described in the Maintenance Booklet. Use of service parts or fluids, such as paper oil filters or improper engine oil, which are non-approved by MBUSA, can cause engine damage and is not covered by this Agreement.
NORMAL MAINTENANCE IS OWNER’S RESPONSIBILITY: Cleaning and polishing, lubrication, filters, engine tune-up, replacing wiper blades or wiper rubber inserts, brake pads, sensor and rotors/discs, and clutch discs and pressure plates are some of the normal maintenance services vehicles require and are not covered by this Agreement. Tire rotations, if applicable to your vehicle’s tire configuration, are a required maintenance service, also not covered. See Maintenance Booklet for details. Damage caused by the use of improper filters (including oil filters), engine oils, fluids, cleaners, polishes or waxes is not covered.
Keep all records of maintenance for your vehicle with your Extended Limited Warranty Agreement or your “Service” booklet for the vehicle. The Extended Limited Warranty Agreement booklet and/or the “Service” booklet must be available for review by the repair facility. If you perform your own maintenance, your records must indicate work performed, date, parts replaced and odometer reading at the time of service. Receipts for purchases of parts and fluids or service and maintenance must be retained with this Agreement for the entire period of this Agreement. Failure to provide maintenance logs may result in the denial of claims. The administrator’s retention of broken parts, for inspection or use, may be required for any repair work.
DAMAGE CAUSED BY NON-APPROVED PARTS OR FLUIDS: Any malfunctions caused by the use of other than Mercedes-Benz original equipment of MBUSA-approved spare parts or accessories are not covered by this Agreement. Damages or malfunctions resulting from poor fuel quality or from blending additional fuel additive, other than those expressly approved for use in exceptional circumstances (see vehicle Operator’s Manual) by MBUSA are not covered.
DAMAGE DUE TO ACCIDENTS, MISUSE, NEGLIGENCE, FRAUD, IMPROPER ADJUSTMENTS, DISCONNECTION OR TAMPERING: Damage from object striking the vehicle. Misuse of the vehicle such as driving over curbs, overloading, improper operation, and storage or transport (Proper use is described in the Operator’s Manual). Damage attributable to any of the aforementioned is not covered.
DAMAGE CAUSED BY OUTSIDE INFLUENCES AND THE ENVIRONMENT: Accidents or acts of nature or other events beyond the control of Mercedes-Benz (e.g., fire, flood, earthquake). Resultant damage from factors such as, but not limited to, fuel or fluid contamination, corrosion, mold and algae. parts made from cloth or leather (e.g. upholstery, convertible tops, trim items), wood, sheet metal / body panels, paint or chrome which have been affected by airborne fallout, such as chemical and tree sap, or by road salt, hail, windstorm or other environmental factors, are not covered by this Agreement.
DAMAGE DUE TO MODIFICATIONS OR ALTERATIONS: Alterations by changing or adding to the vehicle can adversely affect its performance, reliability and longevity, and are not covered by this agreement.
ALTERED ODOMETER: No Agreement covered shall apply to any vehicle on which the odometer has been altered or the actual mileage cannot be determined.
DAMAGE CAUSED BY IMPROPER BODY REPAIRS: Damage or malfunctions caused by body repairs no performed in accordance with Mercedes-Benz-specified repair procedures or otherwise improperly performed, are not covered by this Agreement.
BATTERIES: Batteries are not covered by this Agreement.
TIRES: Tires are not covered by this Agreement.
GLASS: Glass is not covered by this Agreement.
PAINT AND OTHER APPEARANCE ITEMS: Paint and other appearance items are not covered by this Agreement.
CHANGES IN DESIGN: The manufacturer has reserved the right to make any changes in design or to make additions to, or upon its products without incurring any obligations to install the same equipment on motor vehicles previously built.
OTHER:The soft top which includes fabric tip, headliner, glass/plastic window; cellular telephones; Bluetooth dongles; communications service infrastructure such as, but not limited to, cellular telephone networks, GPS satellites availability, Internet and map data content.
EXTRA EXPENSES: This Agreement does not cover payment for loss of use of the vehicle during Agreement repairs nor lodging bills, substitute transportation rentals, or other travel costs, telephone calls, loss of pay, or other economic loss or consequential damages.
REPAIRS AT NON-AUTHORIZED DEALERS: Otherwise covered repairs when the prescribed repair is not performed by an authorized Dealer.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
MaxCare exclusions

What MaxCare doesn't cover
The following are not covered under your MaxCare Service Contract:
  • The maintenance services and parts described under maintenance requirements as shown in the manufacturer's maintenance schedule for your vehicle. If you do not receive an owner's manual at the time of purchase, it is your responsibility to obtain a manual and follow its guidelines. See your selling location to learn how to obtain an owner's manual for your vehicle.
  • Other normal maintenance services and parts including engine tune-up (includes spark plugs, glow plugs, ignition wires, distributor cap, and rotor), batteries, filters, lubricants or fluids, air conditioning refrigerant, engine coolant, all coolant hoses and accessory drive belt(s), wiper blades, brake pads and shoes, brake rotors and drums, suspension alignment, tires, wheel covers, wheel rims, wheels, wheel balancing, shock absorbers, exhaust system, catalytic converter, manual transmission clutch disc and pressure plate, and clutch throw-out bearing.
  • Glass, glass framework, fastening adhesives, sealed beam headlamps, light bulbs, lenses, trim, moldings, bright metal, upholstery, vinyl and convertible tops, paint, sheet metal, bumpers, alignment of body parts, flexible body parts, door panels, body panels, structural framework, structural welds, and removable hardtop assemblies.
  • Repairs made solely to meet or maintain any governmental emission standards.
  • Any aftermarket accessories or equipment purchased and installed after the vehicle purchase date. These include but are not limited to: anti-theft systems, radar detectors, CB radios, audio/visual equipment, cruise control, sun roof, solar-powered devices, telephones, lift kits, TV/VCR/DVD, and related components and appliances.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by thefisch
MaxCare covers loaners also. If you take it to Carmax, you get one of their loaners and $50 off ded. If you take it to the MB dealer, you get one of theirs. Incidentally, they did offer me the 3/75 for $2,899 - still not as good as your price.

Thanks for posting the links. I will copy and past the exclusions here for others to see.
I know the quote for ELW is based on mileage, not sure how much 50 vs 25 would bring up price.

At 2900 I would choose MB warranty (if you were going to pick the 3/75) @8k a year that shouldn't be a problem for you, you'll be close to the mileage limit after 3 years.

Many people have had great experience with their 3rd party extended warranty companies, I personally prefer factory, you can't go wrong either way good luck
Old 04-03-2014, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
You make a good point - my comparison above was based on warranty terms and not based on what I might actually use. The 3/75 would be a better choice for me versus the 3/100. So it would be:

MaxCare: 6 years from purchase (expires 4/2020), 100k total miles (50k more than I have now), $50 ded ($0 if taken to CarMax), cost = $4449 OR $300 ded plan, cost = 3,079

MB ELW: 3 years, 75k total miles (25k more miles which I will use in 3 years), $0 ded, cost = $2899

So with MaxCare I get 3 more years of coverage for $1550 which gets me to 100k total miles. Or I can increase the deductible to $300 and the extra 3 years of MaxCare costs me $180. It's tempting to take the higher deductible and the extra 3 years of coverage for $180.

There are fewer exclusions with the MB ELW though. For example it appears they would cover lights (xenon, dlr, etc.) whereas MaxCare considers that a wear item.

With the cost of most major repairs, you make your money back on only one to two repairs with either of these.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:39 AM

Did a little googling, read mostly great things about maxcare with the obvious few negative reviews about claims being denied.

With that being said if you plan on keeping your merc for more than 4 years go with MAX

If you plan on keeping it less than 4 years I'd chance the extra year with the factory warranty.

My issue with the 3rd party warranty is what happens when I hear a random noise or a thud or a thump. Lets say I take it to mercedes with the maxcare plan - I pay the deductible and mercedes comes back and says "unable to reproduce" - who pays for the diagnostic charge?

I took my car to the dealer told them I heard a thud and told them my bluetooth was not connecting - both problems they couldn't reproduce - charge = 0 dollars.

Just took it in because of my "perceived" problem with blind spot assist, it lights up yellow on both sides sometimes when it isn't supposed to - they may not be able to reproduce, fix it, or come back and say this is normal function - but I know I'll won't pay a diagnostic fee for 1) can't reproduce 2) broken item 3) being an idiot

If this is the case with your 3rd party warranty (besides deductible) then that sounds like a good deal

Last edited by kash2014; 04-03-2014 at 12:42 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Did a little googling, read mostly great things about maxcare with the obvious few negative reviews about claims being denied.

With that being said if you plan on keeping your merc for more than 4 years go with MAX

If you plan on keeping it less than 4 years I'd chance the extra year with the factory warranty.
Very good point. I have kept my past cars 6-8 years so I will give that some thought.

My issue with the 3rd party warranty is what happens when I hear a random noise or a thud or a thump. Lets say I take it to mercedes with the maxcare plan - I pay the deductible and mercedes comes back and says "unable to reproduce" - who pays for the diagnostic charge?

I took my car to the dealer told them I heard a thud and told them my bluetooth was not connecting - both problems they couldn't reproduce - charge = 0 dollars.

Just took it in because of my "perceived" problem with blind spot assist, it lights up yellow on both sides sometimes when it isn't supposed to - they may not be able to reproduce, fix it, or come back and say this is normal function - but I know I'll won't pay a diagnostic fee for 1) can't reproduce 2) broken item 3) being an idiot

If this is the case with your 3rd party warranty (besides deductible) then that sounds like a good deal
Another good point. With the third party Maxcare or Fidelity, you would be on the hook if there is a diagnostic charge if it ends up being nothing.