Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W212)
ALL W212 OWNERS !!! REPORT YOUR W212 E550 AIR SUSPENSION LEAK TO NHTSA >

ALL W212 OWNERS !!! REPORT YOUR W212 E550 AIR SUSPENSION LEAK TO NHTSA

Notices
E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550
Old 06-24-2015, 07:27 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:
Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

ALL W212 OWNERS !!! REPORT YOUR W212 E550 AIR SUSPENSION LEAK TO NHTSA

 
Old 01-22-2015, 12:02 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 20
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550
ALL W212 OWNERS !!! REPORT YOUR W212 E550 AIR SUSPENSION LEAK TO NHTSA

I've recently sold my W211 2004 E55AMG and have gotten myself into a W212 2010 E550 (49K miles). As many of you know both are fantastic cars, however both with a lousy air suspension! Not even after a month of my purchase I'm seeing how my rear suspension drops down, after only two to three days, to almost like a low rider. So I've taken the step of reporting this to the NHTSA because I'm not accepting this from MB any longer. They put out a product that is meant to fail and cost us owners thousands of dollars. The previous owner had the front air suspension replaced in 11/2013 (43k miles) at MB North Houston.

I urge every W212 owner with an air suspension to observe the air suspension behavior and report it to NHTSA. (Link below) If enough reports go in it will get repaired at MB's cost!

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml


PS. I will post some pictures of the air suspension here in a few days.
moizshad is offline  
Old 01-22-2015, 12:25 PM
  #2  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 536
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 E63 AMG P30
Sorry to hear that. I have been looking into the e550 my self. Found this link as well.

Interested in seeing how other w212 owners respond.


http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w212-e-class/1540768-e550-air-ride.html
p30amg08 is offline  
Old 01-22-2015, 09:41 PM
  #3  
Member
 
steinjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 178
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E63 AMG
This is exactly why I chose the 350 over the 550. My sales rep told me the air suspension models have issues all the time.
steinjr is offline  
Old 01-22-2015, 10:30 PM
  #4  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 102
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E550 4Matic, P1, P2
I had my 2010 E550 in with about 50,000KM on it when the left side was riding on the tires and the right side was al the way up. Long story short MB Toronto had the car for 5 days doing every test they could to try and get out of replacing the system. In the end they had to basaclly replace everything and when I picked up the car I had 30 pages! of everything they did.

Once this isn't covered under CPO I will be unloading the car and getting into a E-Class that has a standard suspension
Sean1234 is offline  
Old 01-23-2015, 02:08 AM
  #5  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Arrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,807
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
2010 E550
Originally Posted by Sean1234 View Post
I had my 2010 E550 in with about 50,000KM on it when the left side was riding on the tires and the right side was al the way up. Long story short MB Toronto had the car for 5 days doing every test they could to try and get out of replacing the system. In the end they had to basaclly replace everything and when I picked up the car I had 30 pages! of everything they did.

Once this isn't covered under CPO I will be unloading the car and getting into a E-Class that has a standard suspension

Not covered under CPO in Canada? It is in U.S. And under the ELW too.
Arrie is offline  
Old 01-23-2015, 02:17 AM
  #6  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Arrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,807
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
2010 E550
Originally Posted by moizshad View Post
I've recently sold my W211 2004 E55AMG and have gotten myself into a W212 2010 E550 (49K miles). As many of you know both are fantastic cars, however both with a lousy air suspension! Not even after a month of my purchase I'm seeing how my rear suspension drops down, after only two to three days, to almost like a low rider. So I've taken the step of reporting this to the NHTSA because I'm not accepting this from MB any longer. They put out a product that is meant to fail and cost us owners thousands of dollars. The previous owner had the front air suspension replaced in 11/2013 (43k miles) at MB North Houston.

I urge every W212 owner with an air suspension to observe the air suspension behavior and report it to NHTSA. (Link below) If enough reports go in it will get repaired at MB's cost!

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml


PS. I will post some pictures of the air suspension here in a few days.

A couple of months after getting my car three years ago I noticed the rear of the car was not holding the level. It would drop down after just sitting over night.


Took it to the service and the rear air springs were replaced. I have not had any issues since this was done about 2 1/2 years ago.


I understand the problem is with a seal of the rear springs and they replaced this with a new design.


I don't think reporting this to the NHTSA will help as this is not a safety issue.


I also understand there is a TSB for this.
Arrie is offline  
Old 01-23-2015, 04:30 PM
  #7  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 102
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E550 4Matic, P1, P2
Originally Posted by Arrie View Post
Not covered under CPO in Canada? It is in U.S. And under the ELW too.
It was fully covered, just a pain and something I didn't see coming on a car like this. However after reading through this and other forums I quickly learned otherwise.
Sean1234 is offline  
Old 01-23-2015, 08:46 PM
  #8  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Placitas, NM
Posts: 576
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E550
2011 E550.

24 Jan 2012, at 15,788 miles, rear end collapsing overnight. Dealer replaced both springs.

20 Jan 2014, at 43,306 miles, rear end collapsing overnight. Dealer replaced both springs, PN'S 212-320-37-25 and -38-25: "REAR AIR SPRINGS ARE NOT LATEST STYLE WITH BLACK RING AROUND SPRING. PER DTB REPLACE BOTH REAR AIR SPRINGS."

Let's hope this holds up after warranty. $$$$$$$$
Live Oak is offline  
Old 01-24-2015, 11:01 AM
  #9  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 536
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 E63 AMG P30
Originally Posted by Live Oak View Post
2011 E550.

24 Jan 2012, at 15,788 miles, rear end collapsing overnight. Dealer replaced both springs.

20 Jan 2014, at 43,306 miles, rear end collapsing overnight. Dealer replaced both springs, PN'S 212-320-37-25 and -38-25: "REAR AIR SPRINGS ARE NOT LATEST STYLE WITH BLACK RING AROUND SPRING. PER DTB REPLACE BOTH REAR AIR SPRINGS."

Let's hope this holds up after warranty. $$$$$$$$
Great info here thanks
p30amg08 is offline  
Old 01-24-2015, 11:58 AM
  #10  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Arrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,807
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
2010 E550
Originally Posted by Sean1234 View Post
It was fully covered, just a pain and something I didn't see coming on a car like this. However after reading through this and other forums I quickly learned otherwise.
So what did you mean by saying "Once this isn't covered under CPO..." then?
Arrie is offline  
Old 01-24-2015, 01:31 PM
  #11  
Newbie
 
generogge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: N. TX
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Lexus ES300h
Originally Posted by Arrie View Post
So what did you mean by saying "Once this isn't covered under CPO..." then?


I haven't understood your confusion with his statement. It was appropriately stated, in that "Once & "When" could be considered synonyms in this usage. Maybe read "When", rather than "Once"?
generogge is offline  
Old 01-24-2015, 01:41 PM
  #12  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Arrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,807
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
2010 E550
Originally Posted by generogge View Post
I haven't understood your confusion with his statement. It was appropriately stated, in that "Once & "When" could be considered synonyms in this usage. Maybe read "When", rather than "Once"?
Or perhaps that "Once my warranty is over...". In your post I got the understanding that once the CPO doesn't cover it but would cover other parts.


All clear now.
Arrie is offline  
Old 01-26-2015, 12:56 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Yosheego's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 422
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E550
Same thing from time to time here. Dealer keeps telling me it's normal. Is it normal, not to me it isn't. It happens mostly in the winter/cold days. Within 2 days, I'm sitting low rider.
I have almost 50k it. Been having this issue since 15k. Very frustrated with my local dealer.
Finally I was able to get them to change my headlights because of the pitted marks and of course, as many you already know, the front rotors/brakes. Don't get me started on that issue.
Yosheego is offline  
Old 01-28-2015, 12:21 AM
  #14  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Arrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,807
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
2010 E550
Originally Posted by Yosheego View Post
Same thing from time to time here. Dealer keeps telling me it's normal. Is it normal, not to me it isn't. It happens mostly in the winter/cold days. Within 2 days, I'm sitting low rider.
I have almost 50k it. Been having this issue since 15k. Very frustrated with my local dealer.
Finally I was able to get them to change my headlights because of the pitted marks and of course, as many you already know, the front rotors/brakes. Don't get me started on that issue.
This is very simple. If the car drops down somehow the air gets out from the air springs, i.e. there is a leak.


It is a fact that cold temperature shrinks air and the springs will let the car go down some but nothing like to be a low rider.
Arrie is offline  
Old 01-28-2015, 02:31 AM
  #15  
Super Member
 
Ed99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 708
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
E63s AMG
Has anyone replaced the entire suspension with Coilovers or is it even possible?
Ed99 is offline  
Old 01-28-2015, 06:08 PM
  #16  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 536
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 E63 AMG P30
I'm sure its possible but I'd be ****ing pissed if I had to do that in a 4 yr old car
p30amg08 is offline  
Old 03-16-2015, 12:35 AM
  #17  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 20
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550
What do you mean with Headlights replaced? Can you elaborate on that please? What's up with the rotors? I'm sorry I've just recently purchased a W212 E550.
moizshad is offline  
Old 03-16-2015, 12:41 AM
  #18  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 20
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550
So....almost 45 days later and two air bellows replaced

as my title states, i had to get both rear air bellows / air springs replaced. First the passenger side and two weeks later the driver side one. (car sat for about five days and dropped again) Cost to warranty about $2K, i had to pay about $90 in taxes, no deductible *thankgod* I can't believe it 51K miles and front suspension air struts replaced at 43K miles under factory warranty and now at only 50K both rear air bellows replaced. Warranties on these cars are totally worth it.
moizshad is offline  
Old 03-16-2015, 12:43 AM
  #19  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 20
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550
Please explain

Originally Posted by Yosheego View Post
Same thing from time to time here. Dealer keeps telling me it's normal. Is it normal, not to me it isn't. It happens mostly in the winter/cold days. Within 2 days, I'm sitting low rider.
I have almost 50k it. Been having this issue since 15k. Very frustrated with my local dealer.
Finally I was able to get them to change my headlights because of the pitted marks and of course, as many you already know, the front rotors/brakes. Don't get me started on that issue.

What do you mean with Headlights replaced? Can you elaborate on that please? What's up with the rotors? I'm sorry I've just recently purchased a W212 E550.
moizshad is offline  
Old 03-16-2015, 05:18 AM
  #20  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Boston Area
Posts: 504
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Silver 2010 E350, Black 335d
Originally Posted by moizshad View Post
What do you mean with Headlights replaced? Can you elaborate on that please? What's up with the rotors? I'm sorry I've just recently purchased a W212 E550.
I'll let the guy that had the headlights replaced comment on that, but regarding rotors: There is a very common problem with pulsing brakes on e550s. This is due to issues with the rotors. Some people say they warp, others claim it is due to brake pad deposit build-up on the rotors, regardless the failure rate is very high, and many have had their rotors replaced more than once. From what I understand, MB has changed parts a few times, not sure if the underlying issue is fixed yet, but I haven't seen nearly as many "pulsing brakes" or "warped rotor" threads lately. Do a search for "E550 rotors" and you will see what I mean.... This one explains it pretty well:
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...cond-time.html

From what I have read here (I don't have an e550 but a friend of mine does) this and Airmatic issues (like you have experienced) are the two most common e550 problems out there.

Last edited by ddeliber; 03-16-2015 at 05:23 AM.
ddeliber is offline  
Old 03-16-2015, 10:05 AM
  #21  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 45
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Mercedes-Benz E350 Wagon (Sport)
I just bought an '11 CPO E350 Wagon and mine does the same thing even after just a few hours of sitting sometimes, sometimes its fine. I have to say that I think the bagged wagon looks pretty [email protected], but once I just got in and drove away and it handled like a 30 year old "land-yacht" with a shot suspension. Then I got a malfunction error on the center display. I just bought this car like a month or so ago, and already I have the following issues...

1. Front Windows malfunction (goes up then all the way down).
2. Leaking Rear Air Suspension.
3. Cupholder sliding cover gets stuck in open position and doesn't slide automatically.
4. COMAND knob no longer scrolls (4 years seems to be the magic number)
5. Wiper blades turn on for a swipe after hitting small potholes sometimes

And the list continues...

I have an appointment at Ray Catena Mercedes this Thursday, so we'll have to see how it goes. Wish me luck!
johnfrancisco is offline  
Old 03-16-2015, 01:28 PM
  #22  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,390
Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan
When I first started looking at MB's, an old MB hand told me to avoid air suspension like the plague. It has never been that good, especially if you plan to keep the car past the warranty.
Incidentally, I doubt NHTSA will do anything about this. It has to be proven to be a major safety hazard for them to act and involving lots and lots of vehicles.

Last edited by El Cid; 03-16-2015 at 01:31 PM.
El Cid is offline  
Old 03-17-2015, 01:17 PM
  #23  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 20
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550
Hmmm...

Originally Posted by ddeliber View Post
I'll let the guy that had the headlights replaced comment on that, but regarding rotors: There is a very common problem with pulsing brakes on e550s. This is due to issues with the rotors. Some people say they warp, others claim it is due to brake pad deposit build-up on the rotors, regardless the failure rate is very high, and many have had their rotors replaced more than once. From what I understand, MB has changed parts a few times, not sure if the underlying issue is fixed yet, but I haven't seen nearly as many "pulsing brakes" or "warped rotor" threads lately. Do a search for "E550 rotors" and you will see what I mean.... This one explains it pretty well:
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...cond-time.html

From what I have read here (I don't have an e550 but a friend of mine does) this and Airmatic issues (like you have experienced) are the two most common e550 problems out there.
Thank you for your quick response. I haven't noticed any vibration or any kind of weird brake pedal feedback due to warped rotors. However I will look into this matter. Keep it up guys!
moizshad is offline  
Old 03-17-2015, 05:14 PM
  #24  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Tjdehya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vegas
Posts: 1,710
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 MB S550C4, 2016 BMW i8
Originally Posted by johnfrancisco View Post
I just bought an '11 CPO E350 Wagon and mine does the same thing even after just a few hours of sitting sometimes, sometimes its fine. I have to say that I think the bagged wagon looks pretty [email protected], but once I just got in and drove away and it handled like a 30 year old "land-yacht" with a shot suspension. Then I got a malfunction error on the center display. I just bought this car like a month or so ago, and already I have the following issues...

1. Front Windows malfunction (goes up then all the way down).
2. Leaking Rear Air Suspension.
3. Cupholder sliding cover gets stuck in open position and doesn't slide automatically.
4. COMAND knob no longer scrolls (4 years seems to be the magic number)
5. Wiper blades turn on for a swipe after hitting small potholes sometimes

And the list continues...

I have an appointment at Ray Catena Mercedes this Thursday, so we'll have to see how it goes. Wish me luck!
1. Try the instructions for "resetting the side windows" in the manual.
2. That sux. sorry to hear.
3. It needs to be cleaned. (if a drink was spilled it will do that)
4. This happened to me too. I had it replaced a few months ago, right before my warranty ran out... I was lucky.
5. Your wiper should not be on unless it is raining. (it says so in the manual).
Good Luck
Tjdehya is offline  
Old 12-03-2015, 11:26 AM
  #25  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 20
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550
So....after a year of 2010 E550 ownership I'm kind of disappointed with MB....both headlight assemblies had to be replaced due to failing actuator, both rear air bellows/springs had to be replaced and currently the vehicle is in the shop for a left front strut leak.....which is not covered by my Route66 Extended Warranty Anyone has any clue where to get the best front left air strut or possibly know how to repair or knows where to buy a repair kit.
moizshad is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ALL W212 OWNERS !!! REPORT YOUR W212 E550 AIR SUSPENSION LEAK TO NHTSA


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: