E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Interior light sensor location/adjustment...removal even?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 02:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 E-350
Interior light sensor location/adjustment...removal even?

"I'm looking for the location of the light sensors for interior lights. I keep my headlights on AUTO, and they work as they should.

**However, even when the outside lights are on (as deemed by exterior light sensor), the INTERIOR lights don't come on (and NAV screen doesn't go to night mode) until some other sensor does it's magic. Problem is...I think it gets too dark before my interior lights switch to night mode (meaning NAV screen and HVAC, power window, steering wheel controls).

I thought it was that plastic bump in the middle of my dash by the windshield, but I can cover that with my hand and it doesn't trigger the interior lights to come on.

Where is that sensor? Is there a setting that anyone knows about to make the interior lights come on sooner?"

That was written by a W-204 C Class member 2 years ago but got little traction, but since he has the same exact gripe as me I figured I'd quote him and ask what the deal is here.

** I can't stand how dark it has to get for my interior lights to finally turn on and allow me to see the climate control buttons, radio, steering wheel, ect... WTF?? Even when I turn the lights to the on position opposed to leaving on auto there's some other sensor that has to determine that it's dark enough to turn my interior lighting on. Only the gauge cluster comes on directly with the head lights.

This is my biggest (only actually) complaint about this car, it just happens to bother the hell out of me.

The dealer says there is no adjustment for lighting sensors but I think someone on this forum should know better.

Anybody else have this gripe?
Old 01-26-2015, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
Don't get me wrong but I thought the features you mentioned already come on when the exterior lights are activated?
Old 01-26-2015, 02:41 PM

2012 E-350
Originally Posted by pamiboy
Don't get me wrong but I thought the features you mentioned already come on when the exterior lights are activated?

That would make sense, but MB engineers and their infinite wisdom don't see it that way for some reason
Old 01-26-2015, 04:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 E320 Bluetec (until 11/14), 2001 SLK 320, 2004 Volvo V70, 1972 MGB, 2013 E350
I leave my lights on "auto". All the other lights and "night mode" work perfectly on my 2013.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 848 Likes on 613 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by Russ103
"I'm looking for the location of the light sensors for interior lights. I keep my headlights on AUTO, and they work as they should.

**However, even when the outside lights are on (as deemed by exterior light sensor), the INTERIOR lights don't come on (and NAV screen doesn't go to night mode) until some other sensor does it's magic. Problem is...I think it gets too dark before my interior lights switch to night mode (meaning NAV screen and HVAC, power window, steering wheel controls).

I thought it was that plastic bump in the middle of my dash by the windshield, but I can cover that with my hand and it doesn't trigger the interior lights to come on.

Where is that sensor? Is there a setting that anyone knows about to make the interior lights come on sooner?"

That was written by a W-204 C Class member 2 years ago but got little traction, but since he has the same exact gripe as me I figured I'd quote him and ask what the deal is here.

** I can't stand how dark it has to get for my interior lights to finally turn on and allow me to see the climate control buttons, radio, steering wheel, ect... WTF?? Even when I turn the lights to the on position opposed to leaving on auto there's some other sensor that has to determine that it's dark enough to turn my interior lighting on. Only the gauge cluster comes on directly with the head lights.

This is my biggest (only actually) complaint about this car, it just happens to bother the hell out of me.

The dealer says there is no adjustment for lighting sensors but I think someone on this forum should know better.

It may be tied to clock. I'm not sure but some hand held navigation devices change between night and day based on time.

You can test for this by entering a wrong time in your clock, i.e. make it a couple of hours ahead and see if the lights change earlier. This, of course is no fix as you don't want to have wrong time in your car.

Also, I don't know if setting the Comand screen to "Night" mode would also set the button lights on...?

Last edited by Arrie; 01-26-2015 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:05 PM

2012 E-350
Originally Posted by CarolinaBluetec
I leave my lights on "auto". All the other lights and "night mode" work perfectly on my 2013.
When you say "fine" do you mean they come on once the headlights are on?
Old 12-15-2021, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz e250
The light senor is located in front of the rear view mirror
If you take a cloth and place it in front of it the lights will turn on
That's on a w212
Old 12-15-2021, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,108 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
I think that the headlights and interior lights trigger at different times by design, and for safety reasons...

The headlights come on 20-30 minutes before dusk, as designed, and in some cases required by law... They also activate durinig rain storms and wiper use, etc. as required by law

The interior lights switch to night mode later, because they are not regulated, and because they are designed to accomodate human night vision when it is truly dark.

Some people will appreciate the algorithms used to set both lighting systems, and others will not. Everything works in an acceptable manner for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by DFWdude:
CaliBenzDriver (12-15-2021), pierrejoliat (12-15-2021)
Old 12-15-2021, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,096 Likes on 730 Posts
12 E350 4Matic 13 E350 4Matic AMG Sport
Originally Posted by Russ103

How long did you cover it? it is the interior light sensor, but takes a few moments to activate, the headlight sensor is separate and in the windshield in front of the rear view mirror.
Old 12-15-2021, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by pierrejoliat
How long did you cover it? it is the interior light sensor, but takes a few moments to activate, the headlight sensor is separate and in the windshield in front of the rear view mirror.
And... I wouldn't be surprised if the interior sensor does not activate unless the exterior sensor turns on the headlights, first. (ie, headlight Y or N may be in the programming that triggers the timing of the interior sensor tripping).

Actually, the dome above the center dash is the sun sensor for the climate control system. It measures whether the sun is to the right or left of the car, to set the right v left temperature settings. We don't know for sure if it works the dash lighting too. https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post8404808

Last edited by DFWdude; 12-15-2021 at 11:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (12-15-2021)
Old 12-15-2021, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
I have done more searches on this topic. There are several threads that try to identify the sensor (location) that switches the interior lighting from day to night. In short, no one has been able to find this sensor. No one.

Maybe this is a question for our MB whisperer, Konigstiger..
Old 12-15-2021, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,096 Likes on 730 Posts
12 E350 4Matic 13 E350 4Matic AMG Sport
Talking

Originally Posted by DFWdude
I have done more searches on this topic. There are several threads that try to identify the sensor (location) that switches the interior lighting from day to night. In short, no one has been able to find this sensor. No one.

Maybe this is a question for our MB whisperer, Konigstiger..
Ok, I'll get out the green and orange towels!
Old 12-15-2021, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by pierrejoliat
Ok, I'll get out the green and orange towels!
Better Still....

Old 12-15-2021, 01:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,422 Likes on 3,148 Posts
'71 Pinto
Not sure this goes into enough detail to satisfy, see attachment.
Attached Files