How do you properly install and roof spoiler?? W212

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 07:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 67 Posts
C300 Sport 4Matic
Question How do you properly install and roof spoiler?? W212

So this morning I noticed my roof spoiler was slightly detached on both ends from the window glass and as you woulda imagined...I was furious and sad!! Lol Anyways, I did extensive research before I installed this spoiler myself and one of the things I found out is you really need a good double sided tape. So I bought 3M VHB double sided tape which apparently is the best out there and went ahead and installed it. Now since it has failed, my question to you guys is how do you install a roof spoiler properly and what materials do you use???

The roof spoiler makes a huge difference on the car so I MUST have it lol
Old 03-26-2015, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 838 Likes on 607 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by MBSebas87
So this morning I noticed my roof spoiler was slightly detached on both ends from the window glass and as you woulda imagined...I was furious and sad!! Lol Anyways, I did extensive research before I installed this spoiler myself and one of the things I found out is you really need a good double sided tape. So I bought 3M VHB double sided tape which apparently is the best out there and went ahead and installed it. Now since it has failed, my question to you guys is how do you install a roof spoiler properly and what materials do you use???

The roof spoiler makes a huge difference on the car so I MUST have it lol
Mine came loose and I took it to the dealer. They ordered a new one as they said that they do not repair anything.

A couple months later the new one was loose at ends. This time I went and bought two-sided 3M tape. Red in color. The tape itself is black though. It has stayed on fine and I used it only about 5" - 6" length at each end.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Rear Spoiler cming loose

I installed my own spoiler and removed the tape that was on it and reapplied the 3M Brand grey double-sided tape. YOU MUST clean the edge of the spoiler with alcohol or I used Naptha. Also the area on the rear of the car where the tape applied 1st on the spoiler will touch. Area MUST be clean of all dirt and wax! Use the alcohol or Naptha and wipe and make sure it is dry! If the temperature is below 60 degrees? Heat the surface of the car where tape will meet with a hair dryer or a heat gun! Area should be warm to touch! remove film protecting sticky tape and apply with some pressure but work your way across, eliminate any air gaps and push area down with towel or micro-rag and rub firmly! Mine has not budged since install in Dec.2014! aA good 3/8" of 3M tape is needed on Spoiler to hold snug!
Old 03-28-2015, 12:56 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by toledotom
I installed my own spoiler and removed the tape that was on it and reapplied the 3M Brand grey double-sided tape. YOU MUST clean the edge of the spoiler with alcohol or I used Naptha. Also the area on the rear of the car where the tape applied 1st on the spoiler will touch. Area MUST be clean of all dirt and wax! Use the alcohol or Naptha and wipe and make sure it is dry! If the temperature is below 60 degrees? Heat the surface of the car where tape will meet with a hair dryer or a heat gun! Area should be warm to touch! remove film protecting sticky tape and apply with some pressure but work your way across, eliminate any air gaps and push area down with towel or micro-rag and rub firmly! Mine has not budged since install in Dec.2014! aA good 3/8" of 3M tape is needed on Spoiler to hold snug!
Excellent advice... Too bad Benz can't be this good!
Old 03-29-2015, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport 4Matic
Thanks guys!! I did clean both surfaces with alcohol but did not know about the tempeture. I got the car in January so when I installed it in late feb, it was a little over 32 degrees outside. Will def follow your steps!! Thanks!
Old 03-30-2015, 12:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E-350 P2 Cuprite Brown/Chestnut
I'm on my 3rd round of reinstalling it with 3M with the same issue. I have done the cleaning job you guys suggested every time and of course in Texas we are usually over 60 degrees. I'm wondering if you need to tape it down for few hours with masking tape?
Old 03-31-2015, 04:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e350
It is recommended to use 3m 94 primer in addition to cleaning the area with alcohol. It is an adhesive promoter and helps make the bond much stronger. This can also be done for spoiler installations also.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport 4Matic
Originally Posted by AnirInTexas
I'm on my 3rd round of reinstalling it with 3M with the same issue. I have done the cleaning job you guys suggested every time and of course in Texas we are usually over 60 degrees. I'm wondering if you need to tape it down for few hours with masking tape?
next time I try i'm leaving something heavy on top of it overnight!

Originally Posted by ph350
It is recommended to use 3m 94 primer in addition to cleaning the area with alcohol. It is an adhesive promoter and helps make the bond much stronger. This can also be done for spoiler installations also.
Thanks! Will look into it!