E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Bugs worked out?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes product
Bugs worked out?

Hello to the forum. I'm looking at Mercedes again after being away from the brand. I've had two W212's. My first was a 2010 that had every rattle problem possible. I had a 12 that I did not keep long--it had a manufacturing defect.

I like the W212 4matic E350. I'm considering a wagon--I know it's coming close to the end of it's model run. Considering I battled through the V8 N63 BMW 550 fiasco I'm looking for a car with the bugs worked out.

I've checked in here and there, but have the latest production runs, say 13, 14, 15, 16 solved the miscellaneous rattles and gremlins that plagued the early models? Any input is greatly appreciated. The E class has some great attributes that I really liked--seat comfort. This time I might go for the comfort suspension and skip the AMG package.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
I've had a 2013 wagon for a little over 2 years now. there were 2 rattles.

1) The rear cargo cover when fully extended will rattle on the passenger side where it is hinged in. Metal on metal contact. Dealer replaced the cargo cover, noise went away for a month then came back, dealer lubricated the hinge, noise went away for a week then came back, dealer added felt tape around the hinge, noise went away for 2 months then came back. Dealer proposed replacing the hinge which requires removing the entire rear seat and part of the trim around the back. I was afraid this would either scratch the paint, or introduce other rattles once re-assembled so I told them no thanks. I ended up wrapping some electric tape around the metal post on the cargo cover that slides into the hinge. that solved the problem.

2) Rattle in driver window after parked for a few hours. Found the window was lowering by a small fraction of an inch making the window lose in the frame thus rattling. Dealer reprogrammed power window motor but that didn't fix it. The dealer ended up replacing the power window motor and that fixed it.

Now it's developing a creaking noise in the driver seat bottom on the left thigh support area.

Other than those slightly annoying items, it's been rock solid. No mechanical issues of any sort.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:33 PM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
W212 E550 4M P2
Seems you're a glutton for punishment.

If you don't mind me asking, what car(s) did you own before the Mercs and Bimmer? How'd they treat you?

For what it's worth, my '12 E is essentially rattle-free ... just popping sunroof sounds (even after the dealer "fixed" it). A few months ago, one of the rear LED taillights had a gremlin and/or burned out neceisstating replacement. More recently, a Command software glitch popped up so I got an "update." As you well know, your mileage may vary.

Good luck!
Old 07-11-2015, 06:01 AM

Mercedes product
Thanks thenew3 and Johnny Rad for your input.

All of my cars have German. Either Audi, BMW, Mercedes or Porsche.

My first was a 06 C230 Sport, not a bad car. I've gone back and forth through the car companies, and the biggest issue has always been dealer service and support. I've had several BMW's (3 and 5 series--6 from them), a few Audi A6's (4), and 5 MB's....C, ML, E.

The W212 was a disappointment--I had a 2010, and before that had an 09 E350 4m wagon that was perfect (no problems)....I wanted some of the upgraded tech that the W212 offered. Unfortunately the 2010 model had rattles throughout the car, and the dealer was not helpful--in fact they didn't fix any of the rattles. I had keyless entry failure as well. I liked the ride even with the AMG package, but it tended to be overly harsh over potholes. I had a W212 12 that was bought back due to a water leak issue. That was disappointing.

I think the car has some good attributes....good ride, excellent safety, comfortable seats. However looking at the car market there a very few cars that have the comfort and safety features of the W212. I had a 12 550xi that was in the shop constantly, and it had serious reliability issues (N62 engine V8). I had an 11 ML350 4m....not bad, but always had a irritating problem--squeaks and noises. The local dealership frankly was not good, and I had to travel out of town to another dealer 75 miles away for good service.

I like the seats, and it's a safe car--overall w/4matic is a decent choice for a daily driver. It all depends on your experience with the dealership IMO and their performance. Some are good or do the best they can or others just frankly suck and should have their franchise license yanked. Just my opinion.

BMW has gone downhill significantly IMO (not trying to start a riot). The N62 engine has had many significantly issues that even the factory can't fix. Audi has some decent offerings, but are a bit bland and lease poorly. I'm not a fan of holding cars out of warranty. The E class has some good attributes--I'm just hoping some of the ridiculous, irritating rattle problems have been worked out. My first W212 had rattles all over the place, including the hood and how it mounted on the springs when closed. Audi has some nice vehicles, however MB does as well. I like some features from MB over Audi...however I like quattro over 4matic and xdrive.

I have a dealer that I like to work with, but unfortunately they are out of town which adds a bit of a PITA issue...however it's worth it if I can get a car that's reliable and isn't plagued by stupid issues like rattles. I'd look at the luxury package just to avoid the sharp rebounds from the AMG package and the taller sidewalls of the luxury to offset my really bad roads.

Just checking to see if the W212 has seen an improvement in build quality since 2010 through 2012. I know the new model is not to far away, but I'm not too concerned about that.

Thanks for the input.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
The prior gremlins have probably been replaced by new ones. Historically, all European cars have more issues than most American and Asian cars. Some models of some makes are good, but none are great.
Part of this is that all manufacturers rely on suppliers for most parts. These suppliers rely on other suppliers. So every car is a collection of parts produced by many different companies at lowest cost. Even MB, Rolls Royce, BMW, et. al.
Add in the continuing push to create and/or add new electronics, safety, efficiency, performance, comfort, styling, etc. features to a vast array of models. Dramatically raises the chances for problems.
Reliability of the 212 has improved since 2009. However, as cars age new problems may develop.
Make sure the dealer will provide a loaner if you have failures. Also, get an extended warranty from MBUSA.
They are great cars, but not most reliable in the world and expensive to repair.
Check out this thread, second on site I believe.
Sticky: Bulletins 207 Coupe and 212 Sedan

Last edited by El Cid; 07-12-2015 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
I may have spoken too soon or maybe jinxed myself. Another annoying rattle/noise has developed over the last couple of days.

The rear hatch now makes creaking noises over rough roads/speed bumps. I've narrowed it down to the lock/latch. It sounds like it's not latching tightly anymore thus when the body flexes over the bumps the metal latch rubs and creeks.

Going to have to find some time to take it back to the dealer.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:31 PM

2012 W212 BlueTEC
Try having Asperger's and then driving a car with components that rattle when the vehicle vibrates. I've maintained my sanity thanks to a lot of hidden velcro and wedged felt. The most annoying rattle had to be the cricket-like sound that came from the the trunk cover behind the rear seats every time the vehicle drove over uneven surfaces. The sound was the result of friction between the back of the top of the seats and the edge of the trunk cover.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 E350 4Matic Sedan
Originally Posted by Grau E350
Hello to the forum. I'm looking at Mercedes again after being away from the brand. I've had two W212's. My first was a 2010 that had every rattle problem possible. I had a 12 that I did not keep long--it had a manufacturing defect.

I like the W212 4matic E350. I'm considering a wagon--I know it's coming close to the end of it's model run. Considering I battled through the V8 N63 BMW 550 fiasco I'm looking for a car with the bugs worked out.

I've checked in here and there, but have the latest production runs, say 13, 14, 15, 16 solved the miscellaneous rattles and gremlins that plagued the early models? Any input is greatly appreciated. The E class has some great attributes that I really liked--seat comfort. This time I might go for the comfort suspension and skip the AMG package.

Thanks in advance.
I have owned my 2012 for about a year. The only rattle I have (and I've had it from the beginning) is a small rattle/squeak in my drivers side doors when I drive over a curb. When I slowly go over a curb with my front left tire up I hear a little squeak when the back tire goes up the curb. It's like the back door mounts just squeak a little with the tension of the car having wheels at different heights.
Old 07-20-2015, 03:01 PM

bmw 528
try a piece of adhesive backed foam, used to seal edges of garage doors. available at home depot/lowes. attach to seat back where it contacts frame of trunk opening
Old 07-20-2015, 04:49 PM

2012 W212 BlueTEC
- please delete

Last edited by Carpenter Maass; 07-20-2015 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Wrong thread