E550 lowering links issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 E550 Sedan
E550 lowering links issue

I haven't been active on mbworld for a long time mainly because I sold my old benz and had another car but last week, I bought a 2011 e550 and I'm loving every moment of it.

Fast forward to yesterday, I was installing some lowering links so I can lower the car a little bit and get rid of the wheel gap but I guess I didn't follow the instructions by raising the car all the way up before starting the job.

Long story short, the fronts we fine but after installing the links in the rear, the car dropped all the way down and would not air up at all.

If I drive the car for a while, I get a malfunction message on the cluster with the silhouette of a car with an arrow pointing up.

I put back the stock links but that didn't solve the issue.

I was wondering if there is anything I can do to get this issue fixed before I take the car to the dealership and have them take a look at it?

Here's a picture of how the rear sits now

E550 lowering links issue-2016-06-05-2010.17.28_zpsdhckmyyx.jpg
Old 06-05-2016, 09:28 PM

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
2015 E63 - Current, 2012 E550 - Current, 2019 Audi Q7 3.0T - current
looks like your airmatic may be shot. put back to stock and go back to dealer if you have CPO or ELW. If not then call up Arnott and get new air pieces. make sure the compressor still works as well.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 Sedan
I already put the stock links back on and will be taking the car in tomorrow hopefully.
The car has an extended warranty so I'm not worried there.. Now I'm scared to even think about installing lowering links again lol
Old 06-07-2016, 01:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts
2010 e550 p2
That might be due to the arm that you connect the link to , i wish i had pics to show what i mean , but your airmatic isngood ,you just gotta pay attention to details , been there twice and all because that little arm that connectcthe link to body. Make sure you dont spin it or let it spin cuz thats why you computer is confused because its not in the right position. You good , aitmatic is good ... just go back and play with it more.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 e550 p2
Had links for 2 years , adjusting those is kind of a mess , bit once u get how that works , its a piece of cake , esp for front ones.. u aint even gotta take off wheels , but rear ones you need to take off wheels every time to adjust it......annoying lol feel free to DM me if you have any questions. I have a pic of the settings i have used previously
Old 06-07-2016, 02:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 Sedan
Originally Posted by belarus27
That might be due to the arm that you connect the link to , i wish i had pics to show what i mean , but your airmatic isngood ,you just gotta pay attention to details , been there twice and all because that little arm that connectcthe link to body. Make sure you dont spin it or let it spin cuz thats why you computer is confused because its not in the right position. You good , aitmatic is good ... just go back and play with it more.

Yea, I did turn the sensor's arm a few time, mainly to get the link to connect to the control arm.

I'm taking the car to the dealership tomorrow since it needs an alignment (it's pulling to the right slightly) so I'll just have them fix it lol.

Once I get it back, I'm gonna try installing the links again and this time pay attention to not turn the arm and raise the car all the way up before doing anything.

Thanks for your reply
Old 06-11-2016, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 223 Likes on 125 Posts
E63s AMG
I agree with Belarus that your airmatic is good and just not installed properly. That's why I get someone to install it for $100 unless you know what your doing. Good luck and let us know how it turned out.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 Sedan
I mean, installing them was straight forward. I just didn't know about not turning the sensor arm.

I took the car to the dealership on Tuesday and it's been there since so I'm guess they're replacing the whole suspension since it's under 3rd party warranty lol.

It doesn't bother me, they gave me a loaner and the benz is parked for the majority of the week.

I drive the lancer to work everyday while it sleeps lol

E550 lowering links issue-2016-06-02-2019.35.33_zps9brfh7tg.jpg
Old 07-12-2016, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 Sedan
Here's an update for those who care to know.

Took the car to the dealership and had them run a test and see what the issue is.

Apparently, there has been a leak in the front valve box which caused the compressor to run overtime and eventually fail (I don't know if jacking the car up just caused the compressor to give up and die or not).

Compressor replaced, the car wouldn't save the height settings so they determined that the control module needed to be replaced with the front valve box.

The car stayed at the dealership for 4 weeks because the warranty company was being a b*tch and just taking their time to send an adjuster and approve the repair.

The warranty company decided that they want to cover $1,120 from the total cost and I ended up paying $1,315.20 out of pocket for the repair.

Moral of the story, if you have Royal Administration Services, cancel it and run!
They are the worst company to deal with.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Mercedes E550
Thinking about lowering link as well and been following to see what the issue was. Thank for the update
Old 07-13-2016, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 e550 p2
Originally Posted by ahmadk
Here's an update for those who care to know.

Took the car to the dealership and had them run a test and see what the issue is.

Apparently, there has been a leak in the front valve box which caused the compressor to run overtime and eventually fail (I don't know if jacking the car up just caused the compressor to give up and die or not).

Compressor replaced, the car wouldn't save the height settings so they determined that the control module needed to be replaced with the front valve box.

The car stayed at the dealership for 4 weeks because the warranty company was being a b*tch and just taking their time to send an adjuster and approve the repair.

The warranty company decided that they want to cover $1,120 from the total cost and I ended up paying $1,315.20 out of pocket for the repair.

Moral of the story, if you have Royal Administration Services, cancel it and run!
They are the worst company to deal with.
that sh*t crazy man , lots of $$$ , but did u end up with links or removed them?
and i never seen that problem u had on this forum yet. i had my 2 front Air Shocks go off tho , replaced them in my garage.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 Sedan
that sh*t crazy man , lots of $$$ , but did u end up with links or removed them?
and i never seen that problem u had on this forum yet. i had my 2 front Air Shocks go off tho , replaced them in my garage.

Tell me about it man. Luckily, I have money on the side for stuff like this.

Right now, the car is on stock links but I plan on installing the lowering ones either this weekend or the next.

It's 100+ degrees in AZ and working outside or in the garage is not fun lol