Uncommon COMAND push button knob problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w212 e250
Uncommon COMAND push button knob problem

Good day!

Since about two days ago my control knob has started having a problem and its not the common "scrolling stopped working" issue. At first the actual push down option where you confirm selection of something you hovered over started misbehaving. In that it started registering push downs by itself without me even touching the knob. For example, If I am on the audio cd menu playing something, the track list kept appearing and choosing the first song on the tracklist, on the display - because that's what would happen if you pushed the command knob down twice while on the audio cd menu. That quickly became very annoying because I couldn't listen to anything else, it just kept jumping back to track 1. Now two days later the push down button option has stopped working entirely but everything else - moving it up, down, left, right and scrolling still works fine.

Now, to give every bit of background to try and help you help me here's all the details. The scrolling option on this unit had indeed broken about 2 months ago. The rotary shaft, as most everyone who had to deal with this know, broke in the exact same place it does for everyone and being the DIY kind of person I took it out by myself, glued it back together and put it back and hooray - everything worked just fine. I was very careful in taking everything out, disassembling, fixing and putting back together. But I'm thinking that since I opened it up, even though I glued that metal cap back on as it was, the part might not have been sealed back as good as it was done by factory standards. And if that's the case, moisture condensating inside might be the culprit. But I'll only have time no sooner than this weekend to take the part out and check so I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem and could maybe shed some light on the matter.

And no - no liquids or anything have been spilled around the part or in the car at all.
The only thing that changed was the weather. This past week it got quite cold, to about -20 Celsius.

Thanks for any help!
Old 01-11-2017, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts
2010 e550 p2
Disassemble it and make sure that everything is in place and nothing broke since last time u glued it.
that be the first thing id do.

also ive seen another person having same exact issue not so long ago , which turned out yo be a rubber that in control of that push button function. So take it apart and make sure first.
and then go from there... maybe buy a used complete assembly if its smth that cant be fixed as a DIY.
P.s. i had a similar issue , but it was due to me not putting all the pieces right aftrt fixing that shaft, so i had to take it apart twice to get it to work lol.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:32 PM

w212 e250
Thanks for the help! Any chance you could link to the thread of that guy you mentioned? I tried searching for this but could only find issues with the rotation not working ;/
Or maybe you remember yourself what rubber it was exactly and how he fixed it?

At this point I don't know what I would want it to be more, condensation and water damage or just a part that broke, haha
Old 01-11-2017, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 e550 p2
Originally Posted by w212lt
Thanks for the help! Any chance you could link to the thread of that guy you mentioned? I tried searching for this but could only find issues with the rotation not working ;/
Or maybe you remember yourself what rubber it was exactly and how he fixed it?

At this point I don't know what I would want it to be more, condensation and water damage or just a part that broke, haha
it was a recent discussion , i dont think he found the solution yet ,not that i know of atleast. I will search for it when i get to my computer. Takes way longer if i do it on the phone.
But take it apart and double check it , just to get that issue out of the way.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:20 PM

w212 e250
Found and fixed the problem if anyone was interested. It was indeed the microchip that had short-circuited due to a bit of lubricant getting on the board from the last time that I was fixing the rotation problem. Thought I was careful but clearly not enough when I was lubricating the moving parts
Fix itself was easy, saw the exact spot it had short-circuited at and took it to a local electrician. He soldered the burned out part in about 5-10 minutes, I put everything back together, hooked it up and it worked just as new!
Old 01-18-2017, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 386 Likes on 315 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Who did you use to fix it? Last time I googled electronics repair all I found were cell phone fix it places.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 78 Posts
2010 E550 P2 w/AMG Sport Package + Pano, 2015 Nissan Pathfinder
I would like to know what you did as well.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 e550 p2
That is pretty ucommon.. which one out of those chips? Lol
Attached Thumbnails Uncommon COMAND push button knob problem-snapchat-1128627291.jpg  
Old 02-02-2017, 07:58 AM

w212 e250
Sorry for the delay in the response. Forgot about the thread after I finished with the problem, lol. But 2-3 weeks after getting it fixed, it still works just as new.

Jahquan3 - I just took it to a guy who mostly deals with fixing phones, haha. He has a little station where he works in a bigger electronics shop. He had a microscope and used that to inspect the circuit board and used a simple soldering-iron and some copper to create a new bridge where it had burned out. Took him up to 10 minutes from start to finish. Really, it was an easy job. Just had to find the exact cause And my work in it was just that. I took the part apart and inspected it closely. And my guess was that it was a circuitry issue. I even guessed the spot that I thought was altered and I was right.

Belarus27 - that is the whole chip. They aren't separated but the part that had burned out was a very small circuitry bridge at the top between the wire and that black plastic rotary shaft

But I must be very unlucky because two days ago my parking sensors stopped working :/ It shows two red lights on each sides on front and back device in the car, beeps and shuts off completely in about 20 seconds. Strange thing is - I didn't damage any of them or went off-roading or anything. The only thing I did was take the car to a car-wash. Maybe they used some oily substance or something and it got into one of the sensors. I'll have to try and check them and see if I can fix them myself. Already know it would be at least 200eu ++ to take it to a repair shop, haha
Old 02-02-2017, 08:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,622 Likes on 1,191 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Nice work! On the Parktronic sensor, that is exactly what happens when a sensor has gone bad. It has happened to me twice on two different E class cars. Star will diagnose the bad sensor.