E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Need help removing rear seat back

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 08:08 PM

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts
2016 S212 E400 RENNTech 345 whp/360 wtq
Need help removing rear seat back

2016 E400 Wagon...have these spiffy seat covers to install and they would go on much better if I could remove the rear seats. Easily popped off the bottom cushion, but the split folding seat back has me stumped.

Has anyone done this and can share the procedure for removing the seat backs, left and right? No luck searching the forum but maybe but maybe someone out there...
Old 05-19-2017, 06:57 PM

Rear Seat Removal Instructions

No worries, we figured it out today. Not so difficult but tedious and requires two people. Here is a step-by-step. Sorry I was too engaged in the work for pictures.

Remove rear seat head restraints
• pull release levers located on rear door pillars and pivot seatbacks forward
• locate button on one of two plastic sockets at top of seatback for each head restraint
• depress button and pull head restraint upwards until arms are clear of seatback
• remove head restraints from car and store safely

Remove rear seat cushion:
• release bottom cushion from two retaining plugs by pulling firmly upwards at each corner
• tilt cushion upwards at front and pull outwards to free
• disconnect two electrical connectors, one at each back corner
• remove complete cushion from car

Remove upholstered child tether anchor cover at base of seatbacks:
• take note of three metal U-hooks; one at each end of the cover and one at the center
• press upwards on these hooks to release from their plastic catches
• twist cover to release hidden catches at top
• remove complete cover from car
• note that this part should be positioned before returning seat cushion

Remove rear seatbacks:
• release seat catches to allow seatbacks to pivot freely
• remove lower pillar covers at rear of both back door openings
• disconnect the electrical connectors for both seatbacks, two behind each cover
• remove forward cargo area floor panel by pulling firmly upwards at each corner
• take note of the inboard and outboard pivot points for each seat
• remove plastic cover over inboard pivot point
• remove T30 torx screw at rear of metal bracket underneath plastic cover
• swing top of metal bracket forward to expose the inboard seat pivot studs
• remove T40 torx screw securing outboard pivot arm for each seat
• remove 10mm chassis bolt for shoulder belt anchor
• remove 2/3 seat by lifting inboard pivot stud clear of bracket, outboard arm will lift freely
• remove this seat from car and repeat for 1/3 seat
• remove seat from car

If your seat cover set also includes a rear armrest cover, this next step may be necessary.

Remove plastic trim from center armrest
• lower armrest integral with 2/3 seat
• remove two torx screws at inboard edge
• separate and remove thin plastic trim strip
• note plastic tray behind armrest, push upwards on tray to disengage two tabs
• tilt from top and continue to lift tray up and out to clear thin plastic extension which engages with armrest outboard pivot

Re-assemble in reverse order. Edit: You will need to cut small openings in the seat back covers for the head restraints. Using a fresh razor blade, cut a hole about 1/2 the size of the plastic socket and work the material underneath the flange for a factory appearance.

FWIW, the German-made Zacasi seat covers are without doubt the best I've come across; the fit was flawless when installed with the cushions removed from the vehicle. I doubt if the same results can be obtained if installation is attempted without removing the seats however. I'll post pictures of the complete installation once I've done the front seats, which are not removed.

Last edited by need2speed; 05-31-2017 at 01:29 PM. Reason: add step
The following users liked this post:
raja777m (05-20-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 06:14 PM

Zacasi rear seat covers on

They fit like a glove, liking the diamond suede panels too.

The front seats don't have to be removed, thank goodness, but I will have to take off the front-mounted storage bin. Should get to it in a day or two...
Attached Thumbnails Need help removing rear seat back-zacasi-rear-seats-small.jpg  
Old 05-25-2017, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2023 E450 wagon 2011 Toyota Tacoma
Thanks for posting these instructions. I'm trying to do the same thing on a 2011 that I bought about a year ago and have had no luck figuring it out. These instructions might help he.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:43 PM

Factory Instructions

A great fellow, konigstiger, on BW forum sent me the factory instructions. Along with my user notes, this should help you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
folding rear seat.pdf (639.5 KB, 410 views)
Old 05-27-2017, 12:18 PM

front seats on

Took another session to install the front seats. Although they don't have to come off, I did have to remove the front storage bins. Two small cuts were made in the cover for the bin hinges and a plastic trim piece removed, then the bins went back on for a nice factory look.

The only mystery is an opening on the side of the driver's seat back, which looks like it was intended for a seat back release lever, perhaps for the coupe but clearly not for a 4-door model. Not there on the passenger's seat either. Sent Zacasi a note and anticipate they will simply send another piece without the opening.
Attached Thumbnails Need help removing rear seat back-zacasi-front-seats-b.jpg  
Old 05-29-2017, 11:23 AM

Zacasi said this opening in the side of the driver's seat cover is for "level for vertebra on drivers seat (inside)", which is I believe is a poor translation for lumbar adjustment. It was automatically inserted in my order by their online configurator, but did not actually appear in the menu while I was ordering.

Their mistake, they should fix, right? However, they say I should have picked it up when they sent the order specs back for confirmation, so they don't feel responsible. Hmmm...can't say I agree so I've appealed and hope to hear better news soon.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:28 AM

This post is to close the story on Seat-Styler.com and the ZACASi seat covers. After waiting months and despite frequent emails confirming the problem with my order, they have now gone silent and I haven't received the warranty replacements.

Seat-Styler.com sells on eBay and their own online store. They have an entire page dedicated to quality and warranty coverage, but when it comes down to backing-up the promises, sadly they fail. Just a heads-up for any fellow M-B owners considering using this company.

OTOH, the ZACASi seat covers themselves are outstanding and continue to impress

They are available from other retailers, so learn from my story.