To change or not to change?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 09:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C207
To change or not to change?

Hi fellas

I was willing to change my engine air filters again, but then I stumbled upon this info on another MB forum:

Don't replace filters any sooner than recomended. The filters perform their worst when new and improve over time and mileage. Early filter replacements has been shown to increase fine particle accumulation on the MAF sensors leading to early failure from overheating of the microscopic heating elements and temperature sensors on the internal sensor plate.

There is no issue with cleaning out bugs and such but you should always avoid needless maintenance when not called for especially when you are not familar with how those systems are controlled or monitored for condition. When you understand how the car monitors those systems and how they function you will be more inclinded to run them longer rather than on shorter intervals (never to exceed 4 years).

The engine air filters can go 4 years or 50,000 miles. Changing them every
12-13k miles actually increases the amount of dirt that can get into the engine.

I changed my filters two years ago, and I have way too many miles to spare.
I thought it was beneficial, but now there is doubt...

So, to change or not to change?
Old 08-02-2017, 09:34 AM

Received 134 Likes on 93 Posts
2021 GLS580 | 2011 ML350 BlueTec | 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
Originally Posted by $100 GUY
Hi fellas

I was willing to change my engine air filters again, but then I stumbled upon this info on another MB forum:

Don't replace filters any sooner than recomended. The filters perform their worst when new and improve over time and mileage. Early filter replacements has been shown to increase fine particle accumulation on the MAF sensors leading to early failure from overheating of the microscopic heating elements and temperature sensors on the internal sensor plate.

There is no issue with cleaning out bugs and such but you should always avoid needless maintenance when not called for especially when you are not familar with how those systems are controlled or monitored for condition. When you understand how the car monitors those systems and how they function you will be more inclinded to run them longer rather than on shorter intervals (never to exceed 4 years).

12-13k miles actually increases the amount of dirt that can get into the engine.

While the statement about clean filters allowing more dirt through is technically true, I doubt you'll find anyone who agrees that changing them too often will cause a problem. Usually if someone has a problem with an air filter, it is an oiled air filter and the oil has caused the problem. Change away. Any amount of "dirt" that gets past an air filter and into the engine is going to be minimal.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:27 AM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 342 Likes on 242 Posts
2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
my .02 - I've never used OEM filters , always standard aftermarket non-oiled filters and changed them at about 15k miles. MAF sensor usually gets a spray clean when the filters are changed using non contact electrical cleaner. Zero issues over hundreds of thousands of miles on a variety of vehicles.
I've not noticed excessive throttle body dirt either, I'll remove and clean it about every 50k miles or so.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C207
Someone else?
Old 08-06-2017, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
I ran my w203 to 215k and only replaced the maf because it was high miles and i got it cheap.
Car never had any issues. I replaced my filters when recommended or when they got dirty and never had an issue. That said changing early won't be an issue as long as you use oem/oes quality filters. If you are doing the maintenance on your own car when you change the oil look at the filter and clean out the box and if needed change it.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts
2015 GL550 4matic
Running K&N filters about 10K miles now, works great.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 930 Likes on 658 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Hi fellas

Well,

when the filter gets dirty it actually filters more and smaller particles but it also restricts the air flow leading to loss of power simply because the engine has less air flowing into it.

On old cars before fuel spraying systems (very old) dirty engine air filter caused increase in fuel consumption as intake manifold pressure went down, which caused more fuel to be pulled in thru the carburetor. The MAF sensor together with temperature sensor usually built into it allows the computer to calculate the amount of fuel to spray so fuel is not wasted like it used to be but I would still change the air filter often as recommended as it allows the engine to breathe as it is designed to do. Pretty much any air filter on the market is of quality that can be used. If not, they would not ne on market to buy.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:41 AM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
2010 E350, Sold 1998 C230
Hi fellas

Who was the source of this information? Seriously, there are tons of opinions on various forums that will all contradict each other. But by following the manufacturers recommended maintenance schedule, then you are taking the advice of the people that build the car, not some anonymous expert. The filters go for about 10 bucks each and are good for 20k miles. I just changed out mine in that time interval and they did have some visible sand and particles showing, but probably a bit more fine dust deep in the pleats of the element.

Bottom line, these are not cheap cars and you shouldn't be a cheapskate when it comes to maintaining them. In this case, 20 bucks every year or two won't break the bank and will keep up with the required maintenance.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:18 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2015 E400
Agreed.
Should replace with new filter as factory sugg.
Can't trust anyone saying that a old clogged filter is better than new filter...