Same old tire question on staggered setup for 4M - MBWorld.org Forums



E-Class (W212) 2010-present: E 350, E 550

Same old tire question on staggered setup for 4M

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread
Old 05-19-2017, 09:18 AM   #1
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 218
Drives: 2014 E350 4M Diamond Silver
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Same old tire question on staggered setup for 4M

I found a Used AMG 18s for my W212 4M.
I used the below tool and it gave me two options on my model, as submodels:
245/45/R17 8.5X17 and 8X17: Where can I find the info on which one is mine? Currently I'm running OEM wheels with read 'BS Potenza re97as' on the tires.

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-...5R18/265-35R18

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-...5R18/265-35R18

Both gave me 0.14%(too slow) front and 1.49%(too fast) rear.
Is that still fine to go with it?

Now, is that negligible to use them on my 4Matic? Also, when buying a used car, I can take it to a dealer and go for a 150+ pt inspection. How about used wheels?
Do Firestone or someone do an inspection for some price? Or Should I take it to a dealer?

Usually for tires, even brand new, buying from a private party, I look for the year of manufacturer, and anything over 4 years on shelf, I just don't buy them.

Thanks.
raja777m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:25 AM   #2
Super Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 525
Drives: 2013 E550 4Matic
Thanks: 0
Thanked 46 Times in 46 Posts
The back of the wheel where it meets the hub has the width printed on them. As long as the difference is between 0.2" I think you should be okay... might've been a smaller tolerance than that though... info is around here somewhere. MB will probably inspect the wheels that are on the car regardless of their origin, if you're paying for an inspection which checks those things. Them being used shouldn't make a difference. If you want MB 150+pt inspection done, take it to MB.
blegthbloo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:31 AM   #3
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 218
Drives: 2014 E350 4M Diamond Silver
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blegthbloo View Post
The back of the wheel where it meets the hub has the width printed on them. As long as the difference is between 0.2" I think you should be okay... might've been a smaller tolerance than that though... info is around here somewhere. MB will probably inspect the wheels that are on the car regardless of their origin, if you're paying for an inspection which checks those things. Them being used shouldn't make a difference. If you want MB 150+pt inspection done, take it to MB.
I'm just using car inspection as comparison. I already got my car, just looking for wheels.

I read it is 3% difference is fine, but wanted to make sure, before buying them, so, I started a thread.
raja777m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:24 AM   #4
Member
 
stogge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 114
Drives: 2014 e350 Luxury
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I went with 19x8.5- 245/35/19 & 19X9.5- 275/30/19 with no issues at all, but in hindsight, I would have gone 235/35/19, as according to the size chart I saw, they are pretty much identical!

Either way, loving the ride now!
stogge is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stogge For This Useful Post:
raja777m (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 11:22 AM   #5
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,935
Drives: 4 MBs
Thanked 29 Times in 26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raja777m View Post
I read it is 3% difference is fine, but wanted to make sure, before buying them, so, I started a thread.
Ideally on MB 4matic you want to be within 1% front/rear, so for E class tires its 0.3". So for example with 18" wheels, ideal upto 1% would be 245/40 & 275/35 or 255/40 & 285/35 (of course 100% ideal would be 245/40 & 285/35, but it will enhance understeering characteristics even more).

With OEM 18" AMG W212 staggered wheels, MB used 245/40 & 265/35. This is 0.5" or a 2% difference. Not ideal, but probably "acceptable". To eliminate any possible worries, I would just change rear tire size to 275/35.
threeMBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:24 AM   #6
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 218
Drives: 2014 E350 4M Diamond Silver
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by threeMBs View Post
Ideally on MB 4matic you want to be within 1% front/rear, so for E class tires its 0.3". So for example with 18" wheels, ideal upto 1% would be 245/40 & 275/35 or 255/40 & 285/35 (of course 100% ideal would be 245/40 & 285/35, but it will enhance understeering characteristics even more).

With OEM 18" AMG W212 staggered wheels, MB used 245/40 & 265/35. This is 0.5" or a 2% difference. Not ideal, but probably "acceptable". To eliminate any possible worries, I would just change rear tire size to 275/35.
The one that are currently put on were(on the 18s)
245/40/18
265/35/18

Are you suggesting to get 275/35/18 tires on the rear?
raja777m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:55 AM   #7
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
KEY08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,926
Drives: 2014 E550 4Matic Diamond White and loaded up
Thanked 85 Times in 82 Posts
Tire Size Comparison
Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
245/40-18 3.9in 12.9in 25.7in 80.8in 784 0.0%
265/35-18 3.7in 12.7in 25.3in 79.5in 797 -1.6%

Tire Size Comparison
Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
245/40-18 3.9in 12.9in 25.7in 80.8in 784 0.0%
275/35-18 3.8in 12.8in 25.6in 80.4in 788 -0.5%
KEY08 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KEY08 For This Useful Post:
raja777m (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 01:56 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Posts: 420
Drives: W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
Thanked 27 Times in 26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raja777m View Post
I found a Used AMG 18s for my W212 4M.
I used the below tool and it gave me two options on my model, as submodels:
245/45/R17 8.5X17 and 8X17: Where can I find the info on which one is mine?
Since you have 4MATIC Luxury, you have the 17x8; the 8.5 is staggered for RWD.
tresean1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tresean1 For This Useful Post:
raja777m (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 02:18 PM   #9
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 218
Drives: 2014 E350 4M Diamond Silver
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tresean1 View Post
Since you have 4MATIC Luxury, you have the 17x8; the 8.5 is staggered for RWD.
I chose 4Matic and gave me multiple options, same with other websites too.

raja777m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:57 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Posts: 420
Drives: W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
Thanked 27 Times in 26 Posts
^According to the DOG, there is a 17x8.5" sport design wheel (that was optional but rare, as many people who went with a sport wheel tended to go to 18")---so I am thinking that may be what the option is you see online.
tresean1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tresean1 For This Useful Post:
raja777m (05-19-2017)
 
 
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:20 PM.


Copyright 2001-2012 InternetBrands, Inc. / MBWorld.org. All Rights Reserved.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
What's your question?
Send