E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Three cool things my 2015 E350 does that I didn't know about

Old 05-31-2017, 08:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
E350
Three cool things my 2015 E350 does that I didn't know about

I've only had my car for two weeks, and everyday I'm amazed by it.

My latest discoveries are:

1: When I put the car in reverse not only does the rear view camera come on, but the right side mirror tilts back in so I can look down the passenger side of the car.

2: When I fold drown the rear seat, the front seat tilts forward to give it more room.

3: When I step down hard on the brake with the car in drive, the word "hold" appears on the dash, and I can remove my foot and the brakes stay engaged until I step on the gas.

What am I missing that you've discovered?
Old 05-31-2017, 09:02 PM

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
2014 E550 Black on Black
On a hot day, stand about 2-3' from your drivers door and aim your key fob at the door handle. Press and hold the unlock button and all your windows will roll down, the sunroof will open and if you have ventilated front seats, they will come on too. Same goes locking the vehicle. Press and hold lock and all the windows and sunroof will close and the vehicle will lock.
The following 2 users liked this post by apg231:
baybombers (05-31-2017), raja777m (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
2014 E350 4M Diamond Silver
Originally Posted by ysr_racer

My latest discoveries are:

1: When I put the car in reverse not only does the rear view camera come on, but the right side mirror tilts back in so I can look down the passenger side of the car.

What am I missing that you've discovered?
the mirrors will point downwards only when the right mirror is selected on the 'options' on the door panel.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1. You can setup the fav.(star) button for easy access to the 360 cameras (if you're equipped with it).
2. you can't leave your keys in trunk and lock it. It will not lock; if you're equipped with KeyLess Go(not sure about normal cars).
3. If youre equipped with, there is a small hook inside the trunk; used to hold shopping bag handles..!
4. I read defrost is turned on automatically; but, I have not experienced it yet.
5. the #9 brings up bluetooth even when you're on a different screen on command.
Update: I tried the numbers and it didn't bring up the Bluetooth out of the 10 numbers. MB should give us the freedom to assign the numbers(or I haven't read the manual yet).

6. You can have compass on the maps:

Last edited by raja777m; 05-31-2017 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:42 PM

E350
Good stuff, thanks. Keep it coming !!
Old 05-31-2017, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't need to turn off the interior map/cabin lights; When I lock the car, all the lights are turned off automatically.
The following users liked this post:
Johnny Rad (06-02-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 12:21 AM
Banned

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
2017 W222 AMG S63 Sedan.
Here is a cool trick for you guys or gals. When your sitting in the driver's side seat, you can open your trunk by pulling the lever on the driver's side door panel, but did you know when you push that same lever inward, it'll close it? Try it,
its pretty cool especially when the wife comes out of a store with her hands full and you don't feel like getting out of the car to close the trunk for her,

Yes, this lever.

Old 06-01-2017, 06:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMGNEEDSPEED
Here is a cool trick for you guys or gals. When your sitting in the driver's side seat, you can open your trunk by pulling the lever on the driver's side door panel, but did you know when you push that same lever inward, it'll close it? Try it,
its pretty cool especially when the wife comes out of a store with her hands full and you don't feel like getting out of the car to close the trunk for her,

Yes, this lever.
I guess you need keyless go package for it, right? In that case, you can slightly tap the at the bottom of the rear bumper to open and close the trunk. When your hands are full.

Last edited by raja777m; 06-01-2017 at 08:11 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
I have the foot sweeper option for the trunk.
raja777m (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 10:13 AM

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series

2: When I fold drown the rear seat, the front seat tilts forward to give it more room.
Yes, I actually showed this feature to the dealer when I was purchasing my car; he was shocked. I learned about it 'accidentally' on my W211 the one time I needed to put the rear seats down...lol.
Originally Posted by apg231
On a hot day, stand about 2-3' from your drivers door and aim your key fob at the door handle. Press and hold the unlock button and all your windows will roll down, the sunroof will open and if you have ventilated front seats, they will come on too. Same goes locking the vehicle. Press and hold lock and all the windows and sunroof will close and the vehicle will lock.
Yes, the 'Summer Open' feature, I think they have been calling it that since the 90's...they may have renamed it now. Only gripe I have with it is that I wish you could do it from a distance, like BMW and Lexus...Mercedes uses IR for the feature so you have to be in proximity.
Originally Posted by raja777m
2. you can't leave your keys in trunk and lock it. It will not lock; if you're equipped with KeyLess Go(not sure about normal cars).
5. the #9 brings up bluetooth even when you're on a different screen on command.
Update: I tried the numbers and it didn't bring up the Bluetooth out of the 10 numbers. MB should give us the freedom to assign the numbers(or I haven't read the manual yet).

6. You can have compass on the maps:

Yes, the feature of not locking your keys in the trunk works with non-KeylessGo cars too. My old coworker had VW Passat, and it wouldn't allow her to close her trunk either. The compass is a cool feature that I found accidentally a few weeks ago, but IMO it looks cheap for Mercedes brand---they should have come up with a more handsome design.
its pretty cool especially when the wife comes out of a store with her hands full and you don't feel like getting out of the car to close the trunk for her.
Yes that is pretty cool, it's part of 'Electronic Trunk Closure' or 'KeylessGo with Hands-free Access package'. I stumbled across that on my W211 by accident one day---I thought you could only do it from the trunk...lol.

Some cool things I found:
1. If you have Multi-contour driver's seat, the thigh bolsters will extend, the side bolsters will expand or contract, there is a massage feature, and there is a feature that will inflate balloons on the bolsters to hold you in place when/if you take a corner/curve.
2. If there are no road markings, Steering Assist will attempt to follow the vehicle in front of you
3. The A/C is ICE COLD
4. You can toggle thru the music sources by repeatedly pressing the Audio button (instead of using the COMAND knob to scroll)
5. If you have KeylessGO and you have your remote unlocking preferences set to 'only unlock driver's door with first click', you can unlock doors for your passengers by touching the rear door handle first (this will then unlock all doors), instead of making your passengers wait until you unlock your door, open the door, and press the unlock button

Last edited by tresean1; 06-01-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, this lever.
I saw that lever and deliberately tried pushing and pulling, to see what it does; it indeed opens and closes; my friends were amazed when I showed them that feature, last month
Note: You have to press and hold, until the trunk gets locked
Old 06-01-2017, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tresean1
Some cool things I found:
1. If you have Multi-contour driver's seat, the thigh bolsters will extend
I watched the features video by MB, in order to find that feature. I needed thing bolsters
the side bolsters will expand or contract, there is a massage feature, and there is a feature that will inflate balloons on the bolsters to hold you in place when/if you take a corner/curve.
I test drove a vehicle and the bolsters came out suddenly; that was the time I discovered that feature and fell in love with it. If it weren't for you; I would've gone with a 2013 E350 4Matic, 50k Miles with none of these Driver Assist features for 20k(that white one, I started the thread couple of months ago). I can't thank you enough for this better car for 7k extra, under warranty; which is worth every penny I put

2. If there are no road markings, Steering Assist will attempt to follow the vehicle in front of you
I thought only 2016 or later; good to know.

3. The A/C is ICE COLD
I haven't set it colder than 66F and my distances are very minimal to check that out
4. You can toggle thru the music sources by repeatedly pressing the Audio button (instead of using the COMAND knob to scroll)
5. If you have KeylessGO and you have your remote unlocking preferences set to 'only unlock driver's door with first click', you can unlock doors for your passengers by touching the rear door handle first (this will then unlock all doors), instead of making your passengers wait until you unlock your door, open the door, and press the unlock button
[/quote]
These I need a free weekend to test it out. I haven't gotten one, since I got the car. I put ~3000 miles since April 29; and my office is only 3 miles away from my house. lol.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:37 AM

E350
The only annoying thing I've found so far is the ECO stop/start (like everybody else).

How much faster is my starter motor gong to wear out because of this non sense? After it cycles the first time, I remember to turn it off
Old 06-01-2017, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One more feature(I'm not confident of saying it though). You're in drive mode, completely stopped; If front passenger or driver opens the door, the vehicle will go into park mode, automatically. I tested it only once, but, I guess, when the engine is turned off and still in neutral or drive mode.

The only annoying thing I've found so far is the ECO stop/start (like everybody else).

How much faster is my starter motor gong to wear out because of this non sense? After it cycles the first time, I remember to turn it off
I want MB to add it in upcoming firmware updates.
The Auto/Start stop should kick in only after the driver used the Hold feature; You use it, when you know you'll stay there longer, like, you just missed your green or something like that.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
There is a lot of information in this thread along the lines of where you guys are headed that you may like:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...w-e-class.html
Old 06-01-2017, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E300 Sedan 4matic

Yes, this lever.

Yes it's cool that you can open and close the trunk using the lever but I would rather pull the lever, get out of the car and help the wife put the bags in the trunk and just hit the left red button to close the trunk. It's called being a gentleman...but hey, to each his own!
Old 06-01-2017, 11:23 AM

I test drove a vehicle and the bolsters came out suddenly; that was the time I discovered that feature and fell in love with it. If it weren't for you; I would've gone with a 2013 E350 4Matic, 50k Miles with none of these Driver Assist features for 20k(that white one, I started the thread couple of months ago). I can't thank you enough for this better car for 7k extra, under warranty; which is worth every penny I put
You are very welcome bro! Glad I could be there every step of the way from the beginning Makes me happy I was able to help so much!
One more feature(I'm not confident of saying it though). You're in drive mode, completely stopped; If front passenger or driver opens the door, the vehicle will go into park mode, automatically. I tested it only once, but, I guess, when the engine is turned off and still in neutral or drive mode.
Arrrrrg! So MB has that feature now too? I have it on my BMW and I hate it! You know, sometimes you want to open the door to look at the ground to see where you are /backing/parking---then all of a sudden the GONG & the car will slam into Park.

Another thing I like, that I first learned on the BMW, is that when you are in Drive and you stop, upon shutting off the ignition the car will automatically/immediately engage Park (although on Mercedes, it requires you to also open door first). I never press the P button, as I let the car do it for me. (eliminates an extra step...lol)
Old 06-01-2017, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You are very welcome bro! Glad I could be there every step of the way from the beginning Makes me happy I was able to help so much!
what goes around, comes around

Arrrrrg! So MB has that feature now too? I have it on my BMW and I hate it! You know, sometimes you want to open the door to look at the ground to see where you are /backing/parking---then all of a sudden the GONG & the car will slam into Park.
We don't need to see that anymore, 360 camera baby

Another thing I like, that I first learned on the BMW, is that when you are in Drive and you stop, upon shutting off the ignition the car will automatically/immediately engage Park (although on Mercedes, it requires you to also open door first). I never press the P button, as I let the car do it for me. (eliminates an extra step...lol)
I saw that when I test drove a 328i before committing to Mercedes. I like that feature; Mercedes can do it with a firmware update. I would really like to sign a petition for the Eco Start/Stop feature and this auto park feature; if someone is starting one or direct me on how to start one.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:47 AM

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts
2014 E350
Oooh, great tips here, guys ...keep it coming! Going out to the garage now to test the trunk closing and the unlock only the driver's door feature.

OP: Thanks for starting this thread!!

BTW, I hate the into-Park-when-open-door "feature" ...serves no real function and just stupid, IMHO. This and the non-defeatable Eco are two things I genuinely dislike about a car I absolutely love.

Edward
raja777m (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 78 Posts
2010 E550 P2 w/AMG Sport Package + Pano, 2015 Nissan Pathfinder

I thought they had an additional starter so to speak to absorb the additional work load of starts.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:23 PM

E350
Originally Posted by Edward993

BTW, I hate the into-Park-when-open-door "feature" ...serves no real function and just stupid, IMHO. This and the non-defeatable Eco are two things I genuinely dislike about a car I absolutely love.

Edward
Second day with the car, just got the windows tinted so I couldn't roll them down. Driving in a parking lot at 1mph, open the door to say something to a buddy of mine and WAM !! (Into park)

I'm only going to do that once
raja777m (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 02:22 PM

Driving in a parking lot at 1mph, open the door to say something to a buddy of mine and WAM !! (Into park)

I'm only going to do that once
Yep. IMO, quite possibly one of worst/stupidest features of the car. Just be glad you don't the get the scare-your-freaking-heart-out-of-your-chest GONG that BMW gives!

What % tint did you get. Post some pics!
Old 06-01-2017, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
Yes, the 'Summer Open' feature, I think they have been calling it that since the 90's...they may have renamed it now. Only gripe I have with it is that I wish you could do it from a distance, like BMW and Lexus...Mercedes uses IR for the feature so you have to be in proximity.

I find the IR works over longer distance than RF. But you have to aim it at the driver door handle (there's a small window on the end of the door handle where the IR receiver is).

On older MB's, they used to have this sensor on both driver side and passenger side so you could do it from either side. I guess cost cutting lead them to removing it from the passenger side.

On my wife's BMW, using the RF key to lower/raise windows only works from about 15 ft away.

on my MB, I've done it from 50+ ft away if I point the key at the drivers door and have direct line of sight.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:21 PM

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
2013 E550 4Matic
That's one I'll have to try... currently I have it set to unlock all doors all the time because sometimes I open the door for my lady (someone said something about being a gentleman?), or otherwise it could be raining and she's running ahead to get in the car and I'll grab the closest handle to unlock it for her while I keep strolling around at my normal pace. But 90% of the time I'm driving by myself, so I have no need to unlock all of the doors all the time.

As for the "Summer Open" feature, it would be nice to be able to do that without pulling your keys out of your pocket (if you have KeylessGO)... like a long hold of the inside of the handle... not sure of a better way than that. I used it a lot on my Honda(s) back in the day and it was a nice feature... but I didn't have keyless start on those cars, so I'd already have the key in hand on approach anyway. Can I just laser my thoughts to the car so it knows what I want it to do as soon as I look at it? It's 2017... come on, MB...
Old 06-01-2017, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 E350 4Matic
Thumbs up

This is exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for, only had my 12' E350 lux 4matic a couple weeks now and some of the features are just freaking cool. Thanks for the great info!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Three cool things my 2015 E350 does that I didn't know about