E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Driving Impressions of Distronic or Driver's Assistance Package?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 02:01 PM

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
Driving Impressions of Distronic or Driver's Assistance Package?

Hey guys,
Wanted to know your thoughts on Distronic+. How does it stack up to other manufacturers' laser/adaptive cruise control systems? Any dissatisfactions or limitations you have found? Any pleasant surprises?
Hopefully we can use this thread to help others who are fairly new to Distronic or may have been reluctant to use it.

For example:
I wanted to mention something cool I witnessed on my BMW Active Cruise Control system (their version of Distronic).
I had been reading somewhere that in BMWs, "Dynamic cruise control is an electronic cruise control system with an extra braking function. This also includes the Curve Speed Limiter that reduces the speed in curves for comfortable lateral acceleration. At the end of the curve the car accelerates and resumes the original speed."

Well, the skeptic that I am shrugged this off as something gimmicky, unusable, and unbelievable.

Yesterday, I had a chance to inadvertently try this. As I was coming off of an exit, I used the steering wheel rocker switch & accidentally increased my ACC to 55mph (I only wanted to go up to 45). In any other usual situation, the car would immediately recognize the input and speed up to the requested velocity. What happened next amazed me: the car braked itself & kept steady at 36mph around the exit curve, which was a safe speed, and also much less than the ACC was set at. Upon finishing the curve, the car increased to the pre-set speed automatically.
This, while seemingly trivial to some people, really impressed me that BMW put that much thought into something so easily overlooked. :thumbup: Does Distronic do something similar?

Anyone else had a similar situation, or discovered something else rare, quirky, or "hidden gems" about their vehicle?

Last edited by tresean1; 06-19-2017 at 04:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
raja777m (06-19-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 04:40 AM

anyone?
Old 06-20-2017, 07:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 E63 AMG
I have radar cruise on my 14 EClass and 16 Lexus, had one in my 15 Genesis. Out of those three, EClass is hands down better. All three work well as intended but, Genesis is very sluggish maintaining a constant distance from car ahead in traffic. It also had air pumping noise as it braked itself. Lexus is sluggish to pick speed back up when the car in front moves away. I noticed EClass does slow down on curves but it could just have been physics playing its roll. There is this long swooping exit from one highway to another and I usually take that at 60mph+ and I see mph decrease as I make the turn with cruise on.

I do not have ACC+ on my 15 X3 but it has other full driver's assistance features. I can say BMW's blind spot monitoring system is the worst in all cars I've owned that had blind spot monitoring (that includes Mazda3), it is pretty pathetic. It does not make any noise when there is an object (do not think this can be turned on by coding either) and when there is an object, that orange light is barely visible in a lot of lighting conditions. Don't get me started on how lame X3 is with its backup/surround camera...worst out of all cars that had surround cameras, IMO. In reverse, it only shows rear view and the user has to go start clicking on idrive to see the bird's eye view. All other surround view systems I've had and experienced had split screen with bird's eye view and rear view. If these full on driver's assistance package is any indication to what their radar cruise can do, I wouldn't count be too excited to pay for it.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:54 AM

I can agree with you. The blind spot monitoring in BMW is patheric and poorly placed. I think I can live with the fact that it doesn't make a sound when there is a car in your blind spot, but I don't like that the triangle/indicator is actually in the mirror housing instead of in the glass mirror itself; makes it very hard to notice, as my eyes gravitate to thw mirror and not the side of the vehicle.

As far as ACC, I dont like how even the shortest set distance seems like it is 20 car lengths away. I do like how it slows in curves and how it pre-alerts you and brakes in the event of an impeding frontal collision; that has saved my butt many times.

As far as the camera in the Mercedes...crap! The BMW's camera is HD and so much sharper. The backup cam in the Mercedes is SD and blurry and looks like it should have been in a 2004 Chevy. Very sub-par for a car of this caliber, given the time of manufacture and existing technology.

Last edited by tresean1; 06-20-2017 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:39 PM

My Lane Keeping Assist seems to have a mind of it's own too.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
I have Driver Assistance on my W212 and it keeps beeping every few minutes.
I do have habit of beating the left lane huggers
My Ford truck has lane departure and that doesn't work for me too well at all. It will make annoying warnings on merging lanes. Than driving truck on right lane, I tend to get close to the shoulder lane- here comes the warning again.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:49 PM

I have my car at the dealer, and they are checking Lane Keeping Assist (doesn't pull the car back into its lane)/Distronic (biases to the right side of the road)/Parktronic (beeps for no reason, with no obstacles in front of the car).

I am not expecting much, but we'll see what they say.
raja777m (06-21-2017)

Trending Topics

Old 06-21-2017, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,620 Likes on 1,189 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
All systems working fine on mine so far. I just got the wheel tug and brake, plus audible/graphic warning on a slow drift into the center lane the other day. I was actually quite impressed. The Distronic works really well at all speeds and the only thing is it seems I can only take my hands off the wheel for maybe 10-15 seconds before she gives me the hand-on-wheel graphic warning.
Hey Tresean1 I get random beeps out of my Parktronic as well. My past 2 Parktronic cars did the same thing and I just learned to ignore them. I'm not sure why this happens. My ECO feature takes a while to activate also, so maybe my aux bat is weak and that is contributing to the issues. Weak batteries are always subject on MB cars.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts
16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)
The distronic in the ML works pretty slick.... the parktronic on the E has the odd beep as well, always at about 43mph on certain roads.... it's driving my wife batty to where she is seriously considering selling the car
Old 06-21-2017, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E550-sold 😩
I have had to replace Parktronic sensors before and it's possible a sensor is going bad. The only way to diagnose it is to hook up to SDS and check each sensor.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
2014 E350 4M Diamond Silver
Originally Posted by KEY08
All systems working fine on mine so far. I just got the wheel tug and brake, plus audible/graphic warning on a slow drift into the center lane the other day. I was actually quite impressed.
Mine too, also, I test that feature every single day, intentionally

[quote]The Distronic works really well at all speeds and the only thing is it seems I can only take my hands off the wheel for maybe 10-15 seconds before she gives me the hand-on-wheel graphic warning.
[\quote]
If you don't hold the steering, all distronic features will be suspended and the car will roll down to a stop after hitting a curb or jumping off the cliff in a curve.

I get random beeps out of my Parktronic as well. My past 2 Parktronic cars did the same thing and I just learned to ignore them. I'm not sure why this happens.
No random beeps, but, it doesn't beep until I almost hit the wall, lol.
They recalibrated my camera and upgraded the firmware, will try again soon.
Funnily, it recognizes bushes/small plants(which I sometimes zoom into the leaves with the backup camera), but not a big *** real wall.

My ECO feature takes a while to activate also, so maybe my aux bat is weak and that is contributing to the issues. Weak batteries are always subject on MB cars.
Mine takes some time too, even though I'm not using any of the distronic features and I just went into the store to get something or filled out the gas, after a long haul, it takes some time for the ECO to turn green.

Will load testing the battery find out the life or how to get it tested?
I would prefer to get it tested while it is under factory warranty
Old 06-21-2017, 04:38 PM

The Distronic works really well at all speeds and the only thing is it seems I can only take my hands off the wheel for maybe 10-15 seconds before she gives me the hand-on-wheel graphic warning.
Yeah, I noticed that on mine too; mine only gives me like 8-10 seconds though; Raja's will let him have his hand off the wheel for 20-30 seconds. Lucky dawg! haha
Hey Tresean1 I get random beeps out of my Parktronic as well. My past 2 Parktronic cars did the same thing and I just learned to ignore them. I'm not sure why this happens. My ECO feature takes a while to activate also, so maybe my aux bat is weak and that is contributing to the issues. Weak batteries are always subject on MB cars.
I have never had Parktronic that erratic, except when a sensor was damaged it registered raindrops.

And yes, my ECO function seems to never work either, which I am not particularly complaining about. What are the benefits of that anyway?
Originally Posted by mrmotoguzzi00
The distronic in the ML works pretty slick...
Yes I had a loaner GLS and Distronic/Drive Pilot seemed to work a lot better, except for the time when it took over steering and tried to murder me and run me off the road.
Originally Posted by raja777m
If you don't hold the steering, all distronic features will be suspended and the car will roll down to a stop after hitting a curb or jumping off the cliff in a curve.
Now that is funny as hell!
Will load testing the battery find out the life or how to get it tested?
I would prefer to get it tested while it is under factory warranty
Yes I will try that too, but don't know what to say to the SA to get them to test the battery, and/or replace it under warranty because it's "dying or almost dead".
Old 06-21-2017, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tresean1
Yes I will try that too, but don't know what to say to the SA to get them to test the battery, and/or replace it under warranty because it's "dying or almost dead".
May be, this statement?
My ECO feature takes a while to activate also, so maybe my aux bat is weak and that is contributing to the issues. Could you please load test and verify it for me. blah blah..!
Old 06-21-2017, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mrmotoguzzi00
The distronic in the ML works pretty slick.... the parktronic on the E has the odd beep as well, always at about 43mph on certain roads.... it's driving my wife batty to where she is seriously considering selling the car
42: The answer to life, the universe and everything
so, at 43, did you already know the answers for everything? or the car knows?
Old 06-21-2017, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E550-sold 😩
You guys are killing me now. Ahaha!
Old 06-21-2017, 10:11 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2014 E350
I get random beeps out of my Parktronic as well. My past 2 Parktronic cars did the same thing and I just learned to ignore them. I'm not sure why this happens. My ECO feature takes a while to activate also, so maybe my aux bat is weak and that is contributing to the issues. Weak batteries are always subject on MB cars.
I got random beeps on my Volvo but it seemed more often it was when I was by an accerating diesel bus or truck. I chalked it up to vibrations messing with the sensors. It wasn't that often so it didn't really bother me.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:15 PM

May be, this statement?
My ECO feature takes a while to activate also, so maybe my aux bat is weak and that is contributing to the issues. Could you please load test and verify it for me. blah blah..!
I will try that.
Did you get my text earlier?
Old 06-22-2017, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey guys,
Wanted to know your thoughts on Distronic+. How does it stack up to other manufacturers' laser/adaptive cruise control systems? Any dissatisfactions or limitations you have found? Any pleasant surprises?
Hopefully we can use this thread to help others who are fairly new to Distronic or may have been reluctant to use it.
Sometimes it goes close to the vehicle in front of me, and then apply sudden brake, compared to, we humans, when driving attentively, we apply brakes slowly. But, it is kind of growing on me.

For example:
I wanted to mention something cool I witnessed on my BMW Active Cruise Control system (their version of Distronic).
I had been reading somewhere that in BMWs, "Dynamic cruise control is an electronic cruise control system with an extra braking function. This also includes the Curve Speed Limiter that reduces the speed in curves for comfortable lateral acceleration. At the end of the curve the car accelerates and resumes the original speed."

Well, the skeptic that I am shrugged this off as something gimmicky, unusable, and unbelievable.

Yesterday, I had a chance to inadvertently try this. As I was coming off of an exit, I used the steering wheel rocker switch & accidentally increased my ACC to 55mph (I only wanted to go up to 45). In any other usual situation, the car would immediately recognize the input and speed up to the requested velocity. What happened next amazed me: the car braked itself & kept steady at 36mph around the exit curve, which was a safe speed, and also much less than the ACC was set at. Upon finishing the curve, the car increased to the pre-set speed automatically.
This, while seemingly trivial to some people, really impressed me that BMW put that much thought into something so easily overlooked. :thumbup: Does Distronic do something similar?

Anyone else had a similar situation, or discovered something else rare, quirky, or "hidden gems" about their vehicle?
I made a small video out of that feature.
Unfortunately, there is a big truck in my lane, while exiting the curve, but, you can see, it gained the speed a bit.

Skip to 00:35 into the video.
and at 00:45, I had to keep the vehicle in lane

Last edited by raja777m; 06-22-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:58 PM

Thanks for the vid...my car is still at the Dealer. They are calling the Mercedes rep in on Wednesday.
raja777m (06-26-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the vid...my car is still at the Dealer. They are calling the Mercedes rep in on Wednesday.
good to hear progress, instead of the dealer giving up like last time
Old 07-22-2017, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have my car at the dealer, and they are checking Lane Keeping Assist (doesn't pull the car back into its lane)/Distronic (biases to the right side of the road)/Parktronic (beeps for no reason, with no obstacles in front of the car).

I am not expecting much, but we'll see what they say.
hope this video helps. my vehicle is kind of staying in the middle of the lane.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:35 AM

https://youtu.be/v1bwL-TzTYw
hope this video helps. my vehicle is kind of staying in the middle of the lane.
That is awesome...my car biases to the right side of the lane. Of course, the dealer gives the generic and lazy "this is normal, we could not find anything wrong" answer.