MB tex defect

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 12:10 PM
AKB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 4matic
MB tex defect

I have a 2014 E350 with less than 20,000 miles. Drivers seat is separating at seam. What can I do.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
w212 E350 Bluetec & Mk7 GTI Sport
I accidentally tore the front seam on my bottom seat cushion within the 4 year factory warranty period; and they replaced the whole bottom seat cushion free. Just tell them it started happening

I was using cleaning wipes and rubbing in the creases of the seat creases (wetness weakened the stitch), and one day my key cut it while i was getting in

I just expected a repair
The following users liked this post:
AKB (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,625 Likes on 1,192 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
I thought by 2014 MB had solved this MBtex issue. Sorry to see that is not the case. I hope MB stands up and takes care of the problem for you.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:19 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Eclass
your dealership will take care of it. at least mine did.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 78 Posts
2010 E550 P2 w/AMG Sport Package + Pano, 2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Wow, I'm surprised that is still happening as well.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 386 Likes on 315 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
definitely get it done while you still have warranty. There are other threads on here - you are not alone.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:51 AM

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts
'76 Triumph TR6, '14 W212 Sport, '09 Audi S5 4.2
Just stopped in yesterday to schedule some warranty work as I am at 49,000 miles. Gave them a list of literally every little mark or smudge in the interior and they didn't even bat an eye, in fact never even came outside to look at the car or even check the mileage. Just, "No problem sir, we'll get all that here for you". My list:

Lower driver's seat cover (tiny, tiny little split...but might as well get it under warranty before it gets any bigger).
The black trim surrounding the screen...tiny peel down in the corner, where you actually can't see it but it's there
The black trim piece covering the back of the console (with the air vents and ashtray)...saw LOTS of these peeling when I was shopping around...mine has a tiny bubble but again, might as well get it under warranty
Small split just showed up on the driver's half of the flip-up lid of the center console
COMAND screen locking and restarting (this is an actual problem, not just a little cosmetic thing).

I have this work scheduled for 1 November, so I hate to be speculative, but so far I was thrilled. No questions asked, wrote it all up and didn't even care about mileage or even wanted to look at the defects. As long as you have the factory warranty get EVERYTHING taken care of. Mine flips to CPO in about a thousand miles, and I figured I'd have a harder time getting some of these cosmetics done under the CPO warranty. I also had them note the current mileage on the workorder since I'll probably cross that 50K mark by 1 Nov. And they didn't even bother to check the odo, just asked me how much was on it.

D
Old 10-13-2017, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
2014 E350 4M Diamond Silver
Originally Posted by Darel
Just stopped in yesterday to schedule some warranty work as I am at 49,000 miles. Gave them a list of literally every little mark or smudge in the interior and they didn't even bat an eye, in fact never even came outside to look at the car or even check the mileage. Just, "No problem sir, we'll get all that here for you". My list:

Lower driver's seat cover (tiny, tiny little split...but might as well get it under warranty before it gets any bigger).
The black trim surrounding the screen...tiny peel down in the corner, where you actually can't see it but it's there
The black trim piece covering the back of the console (with the air vents and ashtray)...saw LOTS of these peeling when I was shopping around...mine has a tiny bubble but again, might as well get it under warranty
Small split just showed up on the driver's half of the flip-up lid of the center console
COMAND screen locking and restarting (this is an actual problem, not just a little cosmetic thing).

I have this work scheduled for 1 November, so I hate to be speculative, but so far I was thrilled. No questions asked, wrote it all up and didn't even care about mileage or even wanted to look at the defects. As long as you have the factory warranty get EVERYTHING taken care of. Mine flips to CPO in about a thousand miles, and I figured I'd have a harder time getting some of these cosmetics done under the CPO warranty. I also had them note the current mileage on the workorder since I'll probably cross that 50K mark by 1 Nov. And they didn't even bother to check the odo, just asked me how much was on it.

D
Mb-tex is about to test near the seams on one side and they ordered new seat cover or whatever, for replacement.
In my 3-arm/spoke Steering, near the bottom spoke, there is a slight peeling of paint.
They are covering both under warranty. I'm on my ELW.
I asked for an upgrade to wood trim one and told them I'll pay the difference. But the SA is trying to talk me out of it, saying wood gets hot pretty quick.
What do you guys say? I like the luxorious look of wooden steering wheel.
What do you guys think about flat bottomed one? I'm a short guy, 5'7" only, so, I don't have any problem getting in and out though.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,625 Likes on 1,192 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Originally Posted by raja777m
Mb-tex is about to test near the seams on one side and they ordered new seat cover or whatever, for replacement.
In my 3-arm/spoke Steering, near the bottom spoke, there is a slight peeling of paint.
They are covering both under warranty. I'm on my ELW.
I asked for an upgrade to wood trim one and told them I'll pay the difference. But the SA is trying to talk me out of it, saying wood gets hot pretty quick.
What do you guys say? I like the luxorious look of wooden steering wheel.
What do you guys think about flat bottomed one? I'm a short guy, 5'7" only, so, I don't have any problem getting in and out though.
Get the wood wheel. I have it and love it. I have never had a wood/leather wheel in any MB I have ever owned before, but now I am hooked.

wood/leather steering whell
The following users liked this post:
raja777m (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by KEY08
Get the wood wheel. I have it and love it. I have never had a wood/leather wheel in any MB I have ever owned before, but now I am hooked.

wood/leather steering whell
Sorry OP to hijack your thread.
Thanks Key for sharing your experience.
When I test drove the vehicles, I fell in love with the wooden steering one itself.
However, since this is under warranty replacement, Mercedes will not upgrade, even if the customer is paying the difference. Just like apple won't let you change color or capacity of the phone, when doing a warranty replacement.
Now, I'm planning to call the corporate and request them for an option.
I even told them, keep your steering wheel, I'll buy a new wooden one, please replace it for free (I mean free labor), but the parts guy from MB Northlake rejected my request.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:12 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
w212 E350 Bluetec & Mk7 GTI Sport
Also have them check all your word trim for ANY Discoloration in the burl. There have been alot of reports of our generations wood discoloring due to a bad batch of clearcoat or something. They make the entire cars wood pieces from one tree; they replace every single wood piece if they haveto replace one, and the wood wheel will *never* perfectly match your dash/center trim. It will always be a different grain pattern and color deepness

You want to get this done on factory warranty, and give them a headsup, since there was a backorder of the burl sets last time i had it done. Off warranty, if you are a masochist, it costs upwards of 3-4 k to replace the trim if not on factory warranty. so youd essentially be reduced to looking for individual pieces on ebay which will always be a different hue/tone of your other pieces. Nit picking to say the least, and its still better than discolored wood, but definitely have them look at it.

The nicer you ask the more likely they are to check "hey i sort of noticed that in the light i can see that this panel or this panel is a little different than the others" .... some such dialogue in your own words. The "WTF LAME FIX THIS ST00pID WOOD" doesnt fly, as they have rejected these claims before. Mine was accepted on a BARELY Noticeable level.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[QUOTE=Trancebolt;7285483]Also have them check all your word trim for ANY Discoloration in the burl. There have been alot of reports of our generations wood discoloring due to a bad batch of clearcoat or something. They make the entire cars wood pieces from one tree; they replace every single wood piece if they haveto replace one, and the wood wheel will *never* perfectly match your dash/center trim. It will always be a different grain pattern and color deepness[/quote]
I'm request MB Customer service nicely to upgrade my replacement leather steering with Leather+wood trim steering. If they have to change the whole car of wood trim, hope they give us a choice of colors to choose too, instead of having the same/boring burl walnut...!

The nicer you ask the more likely they are to check "hey i sort of noticed that in the light i can see that this panel or this panel is a little different than the others" .....
Did not work for me earlier (multiple times)..! They say, the fade is not enough to justify the replacement/warranty coverage.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,503 Likes on 1,174 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
The easy way to check for fade is to open the door and look at the difference between the wood that is exposed and hidden by the door. There's also a spot under the center console that gets covered. If you look closely, you might notice fade. Supposedly fixed by 2014 so it may be fine.

As for the steering wheel, it shouldn't be too hard for an indy to do it. I replaced the steering angle sensor on my W211 not too long ago and the wheel came out pretty easily, not too much holding it together, a few screws to take off the airbag and then it's basically one screw in the center that holds the steering wheel on. There's several youtube videos on how to remove it.