Airmatic readings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 04:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
haven't had a mercedes yet
Exclamation Airmatic readings

Hello guys,

I have been lurking for a while but I finally decided to make an account and it turns out I have a question.
So I found this 2010 E350 which was in good condition for a good price, I went for a test drive and everything seemed to work fine and it also had full service history. The car has 156K km on it. So before buying it the owner and I went to the service to check if everything was fine. Until the last test which was suppose to test the shock absorbers. Attached is the test results I and the guys at the service were frankly shocked. According to the owner he has no problems with the airmatic and the test wasn't accurate because this platform could not measure correctly. As more informant and not biased could you please give me your 2 cents? I checked in the dealership and changing the absorbers will be almost 1/3 of the price of the car.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Are you in France?
60 bucks buys you shock in Poland https://www.autoamortyzatory.pl/amor...,11388,100121/
The following users liked this post:
brodurski (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 03:48 AM

I am in Bulgaria but I am guessing I can still use the same offer.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sure. I am Polish-American and am checking Polish MB forum.
Polish have long tradition of driving MB and often buy "projects" in Germany to restore it in Poland where labor is much cheaper.
That brings the situation where almost any village blacksmith has SD scanner and can fix lot of stuff on those cars.
I guess Bulgaria has low price labor as well, but finding a mechanic who is really familiar with those cars is a problem all around the World.
So I heard about French and British MB owners, who go on vacations to Poland and have their MB fixed there.
I am buying parts for my MB in Poland to have them shipped to Las Vegas, so Bulgaria should be only easier
brodurski (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 12:07 PM

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts
2010 W212 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by brodurski
Hello guys,

I have been lurking for a while but I finally decided to make an account and it turns out I have a question.
So I found this 2010 E350 which was in good condition for a good price, I went for a test drive and everything seemed to work fine and it also had full service history. The car has 156K km on it. So before buying it the owner and I went to the service to check if everything was fine. Until the last test which was suppose to test the shock absorbers. Attached is the test results I and the guys at the service were frankly shocked. According to the owner he has no problems with the airmatic and the test wasn't accurate because this platform could not measure correctly. As more informant and not biased could you please give me your 2 cents? I checked in the dealership and changing the absorbers will be almost 1/3 of the price of the car.
Vehicles with Airmatic usually have adaptive damping which works based on inputs from different sensors on the car ( acceleration, pitch and yaw, level, speed, steering angle and a few others). I presume the people at the service you visited performed a stationary test. That doesn't allow the system to work at full capacity, so you will get very inacurate readings which do not reflect the overall health of the suspension components. Unless they have the MB specific test rig it's impossible to test for suspension travel and response. There are a few tests you can try with a star diagnostic ( airmatic compressor fill test, different valve bleed and fill times, air spring fill and leak test, etc.) to make sure the Airmatic performs within specified range.
Also look for leaks around the shocks, that's a sure sign of shock failure and those things are expensive as you well know. Good luck!
brodurski (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by kajtek1
Sure. I am Polish-American and am checking Polish MB forum.
Polish have long tradition of driving MB and often buy "projects" in Germany to restore it in Poland where labor is much cheaper.
That brings the situation where almost any village blacksmith has SD scanner and can fix lot of stuff on those cars.
I guess Bulgaria has low price labor as well, but finding a mechanic who is really familiar with those cars is a problem all around the World.
So I heard about French and British MB owners, who go on vacations to Poland and have their MB fixed there.
I am buying parts for my MB in Poland to have them shipped to Las Vegas, so Bulgaria should be only easier

You are correct in all aspects of what you said. Thank you for the link and for the advice
Old 02-06-2018, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Oda112
Vehicles with Airmatic usually have adaptive damping which works based on inputs from different sensors on the car ( acceleration, pitch and yaw, level, speed, steering angle and a few others). I presume the people at the service you visited performed a stationary test. That doesn't allow the system to work at full capacity, so you will get very inacurate readings which do not reflect the overall health of the suspension components. Unless they have the MB specific test rig it's impossible to test for suspension travel and response. There are a few tests you can try with a star diagnostic ( airmatic compressor fill test, different valve bleed and fill times, air spring fill and leak test, etc.) to make sure the Airmatic performs within specified range.
Also look for leaks around the shocks, that's a sure sign of shock failure and those things are expensive as you well know. Good luck!

I will check it out in a second service and make sure to tell them beforehand it is an airmatic. Thank you for the advice and I will be sure to check the shocks as well!
Old 02-06-2018, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OT, seeing your handle can't forget the impression from last Superbowl.
The "ski" at the end of last name indicate Slovenian roots, meaning Polish, Russian, Ukrainians, Bulgarians.
In Poland names with "ski" are not that common and I was quite shocked to see US Superbowl with 3 or 4 such names on the field.
So my conclusion is that US Superbowl had more guys with Slovenian names, than Polish socker team
How is Bulgarian socker team?

Last edited by kajtek1; 02-06-2018 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by kajtek1
OT, seeing your handle can't forget the impression from last Superbowl.
The "ski" at the end of last name indicate Slovenian roots, meaning Polish, Russian, Ukrainians, Bulgarians.
In Poland names with "ski" are not that common and I was quite shocked to see US Superbowl with 3 or 4 such names on the field.
So my conclusion is that US Superbowl had more guys with Slovenian names, than Polish socker team
How is Bulgarian socker team?

The Bulgarian soccer team is doing quite poorly the past 10-15 years. In Bulgaria most last names end in OV like Popov,Berbatov and so on. I have noticed that a lot of Polish names end in Ski though
Old 02-07-2018, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,150 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Do you even have airmatic? For the E350 in the US, it didn't come with airmatic, just shocks/struts. Airmatic was on the E550. In the US, there's Arnott which makes aftermarket airmatic parts. They're $250 each for the rears.

https://www.arnottindustries.com/pro...-incl-amg/2010
Old 02-08-2018, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by cetialpha5
Do you even have airmatic? For the E350 in the US, it didn't come with airmatic, just shocks/struts. Airmatic was on the E550. In the US, there's Arnott which makes aftermarket airmatic parts. They're $250 each for the rears.

https://www.arnottindustries.com/pro...-incl-amg/2010
Here in Europe we have airmatic on the E350 as well. Thanks for the link
Old 02-08-2018, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Arnots have European divisions as well.
I am still puzzled with European VAT taxes and know that lot of MB parts are much cheaper in US, than they are in .... Germany.
Strange World.