E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Three-pointed star logo on key fob wiggles/rattles a bit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 04:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Three-pointed star logo on key fob wiggles/rattles a bit?

Note: This pertains to the key fob with the triangular "Panic" button.

Hey guys,

I'm probably the only one crazy enough to even pick up on something like this but I noticed that on my key fobs, the three-pointed star emblem has a little bit of play in it (side to side).

Is this the case for anyone else? On one of the fobs, the "play" is even evident audibly if I shake the key. The other one is barely noticeable. I have a family member with a GLE400 and the logos on both of his keys are rock solid. However, another family member has a W205 C-Class and one of those keys has "logo wobble" as well.

Just trying to figure out if this something that is fairly normal and can be ignored or something I should look into having corrected.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by zibby43; 07-21-2018 at 04:14 AM.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
No photo? Obviously, not this type as the star sits in a recess and isn’t moving anywhere.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by KEY08
No photo? Obviously, not this type as the star sits in a recess and isn’t moving anywhere.

Exactly that key and exactly that star.

The star can wiggle back and forth within that recess. It's a tiny amount of travel, but I've seen it on 3 of the 5 keys I've examined now.

Last edited by zibby43; 07-21-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E550-sold 😩
In the twenty keys or so I have had of this style I have never seen a loose star. Are these original keys and not an knockoff? You received them new when the car was delivered from the dealer?
Old 07-21-2018, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by KEY08
In the twenty keys or so I have had of this style I have never seen a loose star. Are these original keys and not an knockoff? You received them new when the car was delivered from the dealer?
Yep. Was given both keys at delivery. At the same trusted dealer I've used for years. They look and feel identical to all the other keys I've examined so far, too (in terms of build quality, etc.).

My '13 C63 had this same style of key and neither of those keys had wobble, to the best of my recollection. But both of these new keys have it; one being a bit worse than the other. Another W205 C-Class key I examined had it as well.

I'm guessing I should insist on these keys being replaced?
Old 07-21-2018, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,725 Likes on 1,105 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by zibby43
Yep. Was given both keys at delivery. At the same trusted dealer I've used for years. They look and feel identical to all the other keys I've examined so far, too (in terms of build quality, etc.).

My '13 C63 had this same style of key and neither of those keys had wobble, to the best of my recollection. But both of these new keys have it; one being a bit worse than the other. Another W205 C-Class key I examined had it as well.

I'm guessing I should insist on these keys being replaced?
If you have any warranty left, then ask the dealer to replace them.

If not in warranty, send them to me. I will fix them, you won't be able to tell they've been fixed, and it will only cost half what the dealer will charge (for new keys... they don't "fix" anything)
Old 07-21-2018, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by DFWdude
If you have any warranty left, then ask the dealer to replace them.

If not in warranty, send them to me. I will fix them, you won't be able to tell they've been fixed, and it will only cost half what the dealer will charge (for new keys... they don't "fix" anything)
Informed the dealer of the problem today. The keys are brand new and I have 48 months of warranty left.

But thank you very, very much for that generous offer! If they give any resistance (I don't think they will), I'll certainly let you know!

Last edited by zibby43; 07-21-2018 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Update:

Dealer said this was normal but to let them know if it gets worse.

Both the keys on my new car ('18 model year) have the slight logo medallion wobble, and at least 1 of the keys on a '17 W205 C-Class has the wobble.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Update:

Dealer said this was normal but to let them know if it gets worse.

Both the keys on my new car ('18 model year) have the slight logo medallion wobble, and at least 1 of the keys on a '17 W205 C-Class has the wobble.
Here's how to fix it. You'l need:

1) 4" square piece of aluminum foil
2) A thin sewing needle
3) Some fresh super glue
4) a small bit of kitchen paper towel

Place the aluminum foil on a table under some good light. Add one drop of super glue in the center of the square. Take the needle and dip the pointed end into the glue. The thin, pointed part of the needle will limit the amount of glue picked up so you don't have too much. Next touch the needle with the minute drop of glue to the outer edge of the circle on the logo, being sure to touch the surface of the key fob too. The idea is to put the glue in the crack between the parts. Capillary action will then draw the glue under the logo part and seal it to the fob. On the small chance that there is any glue left visible, just wipe it off quickly with the paper towel. After a couple minutes the star logo will no longer move in its socket, and it will be glued in place forever.

If super glue scares you, pick up some Testor's liquid plastic model cement at a hobby store (if you can find one). It comes with a small brush in the bottle. Same procedure as before, except the liquid glue will give more time to clean-up.

I used to build museum quality plastic models with pictures of my work on some modeling mag covers. So trust me this will work, and you won't have to take any Vaseline with you to the dealer to buy a new key fob.

Last edited by DFWdude; 07-25-2018 at 02:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
zibby43 (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Here's how to fix it. You'l need:

1) 4" square piece of aluminum foil
2) A thin sewing needle
3) Some fresh super glue
4) a small bit of kitchen paper towel

Place the aluminum foil on a table under some good light. Add one drop of super glue in the center of the square. Take the needle and dip the pointed end into the glue. The thin, pointed part of the needle will limit the amount of glue picked up so you don't have too much. Next touch the needle with the minute drop of glue to the outer edge of the circle on the logo, being sure to touch the surface of the key fob too. The idea is to put the glue in the crack between the parts. Capillary action will then draw the glue under the logo part and seal it to the fob. On the small chance that there is any glue left visible, just wipe it off quickly with the paper towel. After a couple minutes the star logo will no longer move in its socket, and it will be glued in place forever.

If super glue scares you, pick up some Testor's liquid plastic model cement at a hobby store (if you can find one). It comes with a small brush in the bottle. Same procedure as before, except the liquid glue will give more time to clean-up.

I used to build museum quality plastic models with pictures of my work on some modeling mag covers. So trust me this will work, and you won't have to take any Vaseline with you to the dealer to buy a new key fob.
This is an awesome and ingenious procedure.

Any specific recommendations on the glue?
Old 07-25-2018, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
This is an awesome and ingenious procedure.

Any specific recommendations on the glue?
In this case just any cheap Super Glue will work best, not the ultra fast setting kind.
zibby43 (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E550-sold 😩
That’s awesome and helpful info. Now I want to see some of your model work.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
In this case just any cheap Super Glue will work best, not the ultra fast setting kind.
Good deal!

On my keys (hope KEY08 doesn't mind me using his photo ), the only place I have room to apply the glue is on either side of the middle star point.

The outside ring is pretty flush against the plastic. Will that work? It seems like a different space than you were initially alluding to.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Good deal!

On my keys (hope KEY08 doesn't mind me using his photo ), the only place I have room to apply the glue is on either side of the middle star point.

The outside ring is pretty flush against the plastic. Will that work? It seems like a different space than you were initially alluding to.

Yes, anywhere you can get capillary action to draw the glue under the star. Just be quick putting the glue there, and be quick to wipe away any excess.
zibby43 (07-30-2018)