Gauging Intrest of 2010 E350 4Matic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 10:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 P31
Gauging Intrest of 2010 E350 4Matic

All,

So I'm thinking about trying to sell my 10 E350 4Matic with 58K and damn near every option except Drive assist. So my question is do you guys think it's worth around $17-$19k (depending on market) and not trade it in and only get offers around $13-$14k? The car is practically 1 owner and the seats look mint. Any help would be great!

Old 09-12-2018, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,718 Likes on 1,102 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
What do you mean by "practically 1-owner?" Either it is or it isn't.

KBB for my area says trade-in $11.9-$14K. Only thing going for it is the odometer reading... Some might like just 6500 miles a year, but others might not, thinking it all local stop-n-go use. Also, my 2016 has $11K in options, too, and I would not describe it as a fully optioned car (which means $15-$20K in options)

Not sure you will get anywhere near $17-$19K for a nine-year-old car. Buyers have hundreds of vehicles to choose from in this price range... some brand new with all the latest techno bells and whistles, like BT connectivity, Apple Carplay and Android Auto Nav, etc, to name a few.

It's a handsome looking car. If it's not a maintenance problem, I would just keep it myself, and enjoy it

Last edited by DFWdude; 09-12-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:01 AM

C63 P31
Well I just got the car in late June from original owner and I don't drive it every day. I'm really looking at a C63 and really can't afford to have 2 fancy cars.....At first I was wanting to just trade in for C63 but when I see the offers 11-14 I think it would be better to try to sell for around $17k. Maybe I'm crazy but selling outright just seems smarter...LOL No issues all with the E350, a really lovely car, just a little slower than my taste...
Old 09-12-2018, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
DFWdude is right on. The car is not highly optioned regardless of what you think. These cars do not hold their value and if someone offered you $14K for it, take it and run.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by sqitis
I'm really looking at a C63 and really can't afford to have 2 fancy cars.....
Sounds like we have two scenarios at play here. Been there, done that, and remember it well. I once bought a new Nissan 300ZX 2+2, when I really wanted a 300ZX Turbo. I talked myself out of the turbo, because it was just a two-seater and not all that practical for a family of five. While I loved the 2+2, it turns out that for the 7 years I owned it, people sat in the back seat on less than 5 occasions. Meanwhile I always wondered what fun I would have had with the whopping 40 extra hp of the Turbo.

Bottom line I learned is... never settle for one car while craving another. It just wastes money, your time, and leaves those "woulda, coulda, shoulda" thoughts that cannot be realized.

Looking on the bright side... Having both a C-Class and an E-Class today, I can say without hesitation how much more I like the larger E-Class. The E is not that much larger outside, but quite a bit larger inside. In other words, you might crave the C63 for it's kick in the pants, but in time you will likely find it very SMALL inside to live with.. Not to mention a thirst for gasoline just short of a Bishop's craving for alter boys.

Coincidentally, the 302hp in the E350 is 100hp MORE than the Nissan 300ZX Turbo ever developed. So, it's no slouch by any means, and sometimes has me wondering why people want still more. So, it's not for me, but if you really gotta have more performance, I would look around to swap the E350 for an otherwise equal E550. People buying used cars are more gas price conscious, so the 550's thirstier V8 may mean that you can find one for about the same money as your E350 will sell for.

B-U-T... if you really have your heart set on an AMG, then forget all I have written except the 2nd para, dump the E350 for whatever you can get, and go for it.

Last edited by DFWdude; 09-12-2018 at 01:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sqitis (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 01:35 PM

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts
Mercedes and BMW
I just sold my 2012 P2 E350 thru Carmax with 26400 miles for 19k. If I went private sale probably at best 20-21k but didn’t want to deal with the headaches with placing ads and posting. I have a neighbor who is a finance manager at a non MB dealer and another friend who is an Internet Manager at a MB dealer and both said don’t expect top dollar. Both ran numbers and said target price for my car and mileage was 18-20k and suggested Carmax to unload my vehicle as the process was fast and easy. They warned me about not commanding high dollar so be prepared. I will echo the other members here, if you can get 14k take it as today’s vehicles have a lot to offer. Btw, I recently bought a smaller MB; 2016 C450amg with 7600 miles.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:57 PM

C63 P31
Originally Posted by DFWdude
Sounds like we have two scenarios at play here. Been there, done that, and remember it well. I once bought a new Nissan 300ZX 2+2, when I really wanted a 300ZX Turbo. I talked myself out of the turbo, because it was just a two-seater and not all that practical for a family of five. While I loved the 2+2, it turns out that for the 7 years I owned it, people sat in the back seat on less than 5 occasions. Meanwhile I always wondered what fun I would have had with the whopping 40 extra hp of the Turbo.

Bottom line I learned is... never settle for one car while craving another. It just wastes money, your time, and leaves those "woulda, coulda, shoulda" thoughts that cannot be realized.

Looking on the bright side... Having both a C-Class and an E-Class today, I can say without hesitation how much more I like the larger E-Class. The E is not that much larger outside, but quite a bit larger inside. In other words, you might crave the C63 for it's kick in the pants, but in time you will likely find it very SMALL inside to live with.. Not to mention a thirst for gasoline just short of a Bishop's craving for alter boys.

Coincidentally, the 302hp in the E350 is 100hp MORE than the Nissan 300ZX Turbo ever developed. So, it's no slouch by any means, and sometimes has me wondering why people want still more. So, it's not for me, but if you really gotta have more performance, I would look around to swap the E350 for an otherwise equal E550. People buying used cars are more gas price conscious, so the 550's thirstier V8 may mean that you can find one for about the same money as your E350 will sell for.

B-U-T... if you really have your heart set on an AMG, then forget all I have written except the 2nd para, dump the E350 for whatever you can get, and go for it.
Yea I was thinking about the 550 really hard but I'm still liking the C63 sedan for some odd reason......I'll be back to an E class in 5-10years most likely.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:59 PM

C63 P31
Originally Posted by b6tbfmp
I just sold my 2012 P2 E350 thru Carmax with 26400 miles for 19k. If I went private sale probably at best 20-21k but didn’t want to deal with the headaches with placing ads and posting. I have a neighbor who is a finance manager at a non MB dealer and another friend who is an Internet Manager at a MB dealer and both said don’t expect top dollar. Both ran numbers and said target price for my car and mileage was 18-20k and suggested Carmax to unload my vehicle as the process was fast and easy. They warned me about not commanding high dollar so be prepared. I will echo the other members here, if you can get 14k take it as today’s vehicles have a lot to offer. Btw, I recently bought a smaller MB; 2016 C450amg with 7600 miles.
Yea I like the ideal of selling/trading to Carmax. They seem to give the best dollar it seems.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Yea I like the ideal of selling/trading to Carmax. They seem to give the best dollar it seems.
You can always sell a car to Carmax... But NEVER buy a car from Carmax.

I've sold 3 vehicles to Carmax in the past, and was always satisfied. But the following week the Carmax sales lot price for the same cars was nothing short of insane. And of course it made perfect sense. High dollar paid for stock means top dollar asked at retail.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:18 PM

C63 P31
You can always sell a car to Carmax... But NEVER buy a car from Carmax.

I've sold 3 vehicles to Carmax in the past, and was always satisfied. But the following week the Carmax sales lot price for the same cars was nothing short of insane. And of course it made perfect sense. High dollar paid for stock means top dollar asked at retail.
Do they suck to buy from and if so why? Most car lots sucks it seems like anymore......
Old 09-12-2018, 02:23 PM

Mercedes and BMW
DFW, you are so correct, saw my car advertised a week later for 6k more and it sold in a few days.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Do they suck to buy from and if so why? Most car lots sucks it seems like anymore......
To reiterate..."High dollar paid for stock means top dollar asked at retail." Carmax buys and sells so many cars (probably more at one location than any three branded New Car Dealerships on the same block) that they can afford to make a few mistakes in what they pay for WBYCEIYDBO cars, because there is always some ill-informed buyer who will pay top dollar + from their sales side... people who will pay $48-$50K for 2-year old E-Class (that listed new for $63K) then go home thinking they got a steal of a deal. LOL.

A small, used car lot on the corner with only 20-30 cars in stock can't afford to be so generous with the cars they take in, usually buying them only at wholesale auctions.

The only thing to make this thread more entertaining is if you were to tell us that you bought your 2010 E350 4M from Carmax.

Last edited by DFWdude; 09-12-2018 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
^ Then it would be a 3 owner car.
Selling a car by yourself and trying to get a better price always sounds great until you try it. Even on a car that is worth $14K, there are those who cannot write a check for it. As silly as it sounds, they will pass over your $19K car and buy the $25K same car at Carmax (or name the dealer), because they can finance it. That's how it works.

Last edited by KEY08; 09-12-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by KEY08
^ Then it would be a 3 owner car.
Selling a car by yourself and trying to get a better price always sounds great until you try it. Even on a car that is worth $14K, there are those who cannot write a check for it. As silly as it sounds, they will pass over your $19K car and buy the $25K same car at Carmax (or name the dealer), because they can finance it. That's how it works.
Another excellent point!
Old 09-12-2018, 03:35 PM

C63 P31
Another excellent point!
I agree as well! I do the same thing!
Old 09-12-2018, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,147 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Punch it into nadaguide.com. The only options that bumps up the price is the driver assistance package and the rear entertainment option. Should sell easier, but full retail is 17.5k. Normally if you try and sell it yourself, you'd be lucky to get between clean trade in and retail. Clean trade in is 15.5k. So maybe you'll be lucky to get 16k. If you got offered 14k, I'd take it. I've bought cars more at the lower end closer to rough trade in which is 11.5k.

As for the power, the 2010-2011 had the M272 engine so those only made 268hp, it was the 2012+ that had the M276 and those made 302hp. I believe there's an ECU reset procedure somewhere that might make the transmission a little bit more lively.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:28 AM

C63 P31
To reiterate..."High dollar paid for stock means top dollar asked at retail." Carmax buys and sells so many cars (probably more at one location than any three branded New Car Dealerships on the same block) that they can afford to make a few mistakes in what they pay for WBYCEIYDBO cars, because there is always some ill-informed buyer who will pay top dollar + from their sales side... people who will pay $48-$50K for 2-year old E-Class (that listed new for $63K) then go home thinking they got a steal of a deal. LOL.

A small, used car lot on the corner with only 20-30 cars in stock can't afford to be so generous with the cars they take in, usually buying them only at wholesale auctions.

The only thing to make this thread more entertaining is if you were to tell us that you bought your 2010 E350 4M from Carmax.
I sure did not! I assure you, but I did pick it up at a local Chevy dealer which could be just as bad.....LOL

Old 09-13-2018, 07:29 AM

C63 P31
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
Punch it into nadaguide.com. The only options that bumps up the price is the driver assistance package and the rear entertainment option. Should sell easier, but full retail is 17.5k. Normally if you try and sell it yourself, you'd be lucky to get between clean trade in and retail. Clean trade in is 15.5k. So maybe you'll be lucky to get 16k. If you got offered 14k, I'd take it. I've bought cars more at the lower end closer to rough trade in which is 11.5k.

As for the power, the 2010-2011 had the M272 engine so those only made 268hp, it was the 2012+ that had the M276 and those made 302hp. I believe there's an ECU reset procedure somewhere that might make the transmission a little bit more lively.
And this is where I stand right now. Good info on the ECU reset, I just wonder how that can be done.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
And this is where I stand right now. Good info on the ECU reset, I just wonder how that can be done.
Not sure about the ECU reset, but to reset the Adaptive Transmission, here is the procedure discussed in 2013, so might apply to the earlier models, too. I did not write this, just copying from before...

With the Keyless Go button inserted:

1) foot off the brake during the whole procedure
2) press the Keyless Go Start button once
3) press the accelerator to the floor and hold for 5 seconds
4) press the Keyless Go Start button twice to turn off the ignition
5) release the gas pedal
6) Wait at least two minutes before starting the car.

The Keyless Go Start button does come out of the ignition switch - it may be a little hard to get out but I was able to pop mine out with a little effort. Then follow the normal procedure:

1) ignition switch to position 1
2) push the gas pedal to the floor and hold for 5 seconds
3) turn the ignition switch to the off (0) position
4) release the gas pedal
5) wait at least two minutes before starting the car.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:09 AM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
2010 E350, Sold 1998 C230
Since you just got the car in June and now you want to sell it, are you worried about taking a bath with it? If you bought it off a dealers lot, you probably didn't pay bottom dollar for it, but you will be offered bottom dollar when you try to sell it. You hardly ever make money on flipping a car unless its rare, in high demand or you bought it really cheap, and you are probably 0 for 3 here.

It's a real nice car, I have the same year but without 4matic. It's no slouch on the highway and gives pretty good mileage when you feed it premium. I've put about 30K on mine over three years and it really hasn't been bad at all to maintain. Engine is easier and cheaper to maintain than the newer direct injection versions. I just put tires on it and a new battery in earlier this year. It's probably depreciated about 14K since I bought it from a MB dealer, not great, but not that terrible either. Had I bought something else for about the same price new, it would probably be worth about the same, but I'm enjoying this car much more. I hope to hold onto it for quite a few more years and will keep up with the maintenance myself as much as possible.

Whatever you end up doing, try to make a calculated decision about all the alternatives. Good Luck.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:04 AM

C63 P31
Originally Posted by aquinob
Since you just got the car in June and now you want to sell it, are you worried about taking a bath with it? If you bought it off a dealers lot, you probably didn't pay bottom dollar for it, but you will be offered bottom dollar when you try to sell it. You hardly ever make money on flipping a car unless its rare, in high demand or you bought it really cheap, and you are probably 0 for 3 here.

It's a real nice car, I have the same year but without 4matic. It's no slouch on the highway and gives pretty good mileage when you feed it premium. I've put about 30K on mine over three years and it really hasn't been bad at all to maintain. Engine is easier and cheaper to maintain than the newer direct injection versions. I just put tires on it and a new battery in earlier this year. It's probably depreciated about 14K since I bought it from a MB dealer, not great, but not that terrible either. Had I bought something else for about the same price new, it would probably be worth about the same, but I'm enjoying this car much more. I hope to hold onto it for quite a few more years and will keep up with the maintenance myself as much as possible.

Whatever you end up doing, try to make a calculated decision about all the alternatives. Good Luck.
An this is what I'm trying to do but I'm not sure I can afford to keep it and get a C63. Trying to convince wife to take the E350 and I'll trade in her car since it has more miles and less to payoff......but she loves her car and doesn't want to give it up. She says the E is an old man car.....LOL

Old 09-14-2018, 11:43 AM

Mercedes and BMW
An this is what I'm trying to do but I'm not sure I can afford to keep it and get a C63. Trying to convince wife to take the E350 and I'll trade in her car since it has more miles and less to payoff......but she loves her car and doesn't want to give it up. She says the E is an old man car.....LOL
WOW! Holy sh!+, my wife said the same thing...
Old 09-14-2018, 12:06 PM

C63 P31
Originally Posted by b6tbfmp
WOW! Holy sh!+, my wife said the same thing...
Yea she drives 12' BMW 335i Msport and it's fast as hell.....
Old 09-14-2018, 12:29 PM

Mercedes and BMW
Yea she drives 12' BMW 335i Msport and it's fast as hell.....
Well if my wife drove a bimmer, I would get the same response. She is a bimmer gal.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 938 Likes on 685 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
These guys are right about the price. The primary reason is that if somebody is going to pay that kind of money for a W212 they will be going for a later direct injected car.