E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Brutal 3-2 downshift 14 E350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 10:07 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2014 Mercedes Benz E350 Sport 4matic
Question Brutal 3-2 downshift 14 E350

Basically when you are in 3rd gear and accelerate (for example an on ramp) and the car drops to second the down shift is brutal, like as it shifts off of 3 the car has about a 1 second hiccup between 3 and 2, its a VERY slow downshift unlike every other shift in the car, and you end up popping forward before being thrown back in the seat, like the transmission is slipping, or if you were a stick driver and downshifted hard without rev matching. It was always a little stiff but never like this, its really bad.

Car only has 25k miles and is still under warranty for 3 more years so I'm not totally concerned, just want to see if anyone else has seen this issue before I bring it into the dealer for service, as I feel like they are going to tell me "that is normal operation" or nail me for a transmission service that a car with only 25k miles that is driven very gently should never ever need.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rogue Leader:
halabi2018 (12-29-2020), Muqixo (01-14-2023)
Old 01-11-2019, 04:47 PM

Well dealer says they updated the transmission software and did a re-adaptation that fixed it. I pick up tomorrow morning so we will see.
The following users liked this post:
raja777m (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 10:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 W222 S550 4Matic/AMG Sport/Exec/P2 Black/Porcelain White. 2013 W212 E350 4Matic AMG P2 White/NB
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader
Well dealer says they updated the transmission software and did a re-adaptation that fixed it. I pick up tomorrow morning so we will see.
I have a 2013 E350 4matic with the sport package, and still under the extended Mercedes warranty. Mine does this same exact thing, however it does it when dropping down to 4th gear. I've noticed that this only happens when I need to accelerate hard. A few times, this happened in conjunction right before "limp home mode" being activated. It once occurred on a trip as I got on the freeway from a rest stop with congested freeway entrance that also had a short onramp. If I'm on the freeway, cruising at 60-65, and accelerate slowly, the issue does not occur. It only occurs when I accelerate hard, like situations where a freeway onramp is super short. Feels as if something is slipping, finally engages when the torque is really high, and after the SUPER aggressive jolt/bang/hit by a 5,000lb hammer, it then accelerates. After experiencing it many times, and purposely trying to create the issue, it seems that the signal to shift down is sent to the transmission, the shift occurs, but torque converter slips due to a lag caused possibly by clogged valve, and due to this lag, it engages at higher internal pressure levels and engine rpms. I've taken it in for this issue 4 times to my Mercedes dealer, and have never been able to fix it. They've reprogrammed the transmission, replaced the fluid, replaced gas pedal, replace throttle wiring, and a few more things I can't remember. It's only until lately that I've researched issues with the 7G transmission related to clogged valve filters that might cause this issue. I just don't really have time to keep taking it in, or playing with it.
Muqixo (01-14-2023)
Old 01-12-2019, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by iggibar
I have a 2013 E350 4matic with the sport package, and still under the extended Mercedes warranty. Mine does this same exact thing, however it does it when dropping down to 4th gear. I've noticed that this only happens when I need to accelerate hard. A few times, this happened in conjunction right before "limp home mode" being activated. It once occurred on a trip as I got on the freeway from a rest stop with congested freeway entrance that also had a short onramp. If I'm on the freeway, cruising at 60-65, and accelerate slowly, the issue does not occur. It only occurs when I accelerate hard, like situations where a freeway onramp is super short. Feels as if something is slipping, finally engages when the torque is really high, and after the SUPER aggressive jolt/bang/hit by a 5,000lb hammer, it then accelerates. After experiencing it many times, and purposely trying to create the issue, it seems that the signal to shift down is sent to the transmission, the shift occurs, but torque converter slips due to a lag caused possibly by clogged valve, and due to this lag, it engages at higher internal pressure levels and engine rpms. I've taken it in for this issue 4 times to my Mercedes dealer, and have never been able to fix it. They've reprogrammed the transmission, replaced the fluid, replaced gas pedal, replace throttle wiring, and a few more things I can't remember. It's only until lately that I've researched issues with the 7G transmission related to clogged valve filters that might cause this issue. I just don't really have time to keep taking it in, or playing with it.
Thanks for the reply, thats exactly what I was feeling but less often and never seeing that "limp home mode". I drove it home today and it did seem smoother on downshifts but still not really as smooth as I expected, or as smooth as my wife's GLE 350 which is essentially the same drivetrain. I did see what you are describing about the valve as well and I assumed thats what they were gonna do. I guess I know what i have to look forward to now.... I knew this wasn't going to truly fix it.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:32 PM

Received 225 Likes on 139 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec, 2024 E350 4matic W214, 2014 GLK250 Bluetec, 2000 CLK320 Cabrio
Longshot here, but I had the same problem in mine and it went away after new intake manifold and engine/transmission mounts. I think the main culprit was a broken lever on the intake manifold, because the transmission was expecting the car to produce a certain amount of power which was thrown off because the intake flaps were in the wrong position, and the torque value to the transmission was not what was expected. Scan for an 0520 code.

Again, this is a longshot, but worked for me.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by 300SE1993
Longshot here, but I had the same problem in mine and it went away after new intake manifold and engine/transmission mounts. I think the main culprit was a broken lever on the intake manifold, because the transmission was expecting the car to produce a certain amount of power which was thrown off because the intake flaps were in the wrong position, and the torque value to the transmission was not what was expected. Scan for an 0520 code.

Again, this is a longshot, but worked for me.
I don't see any movement in the engine bay, and the car only has 25k miles, I can't imagine engine/trans mounts failing that quickly. The programming seems to have fixed it for now, but I anticipate that will change once I've driven it more when it cold.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:58 PM

Received 225 Likes on 139 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec, 2024 E350 4matic W214, 2014 GLK250 Bluetec, 2000 CLK320 Cabrio
I don't see any movement in the engine bay, and the car only has 25k miles, I can't imagine engine/trans mounts failing that quickly. The programming seems to have fixed it for now, but I anticipate that will change once I've driven it more when it cold.
Your car is 5 years old and that's more than enough for engine mounts to fail on these cars. Others can chime in if they agree or disagree on that.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by 300SE1993
Your car is 5 years old and that's more than enough for engine mounts to fail on these cars. Others can chime in if they agree or disagree on that.
Not saying you are wrong, but if true thats really annoying that a part like that would fail so quickly.

However I would assume I would notice more vibration issues and it would be more consistent since a part is physically broken, mine is very inconsistent, and like i said seems to be cured so far leaning me towards it actually being a computer issue, or being one of the many known issue with these 7 speed transmissions and valve body or blockage issues.

Either way I have 3 more years of warranty left so as far as I'm concerned the transmission could fall out of it. But the loaner C300 sucks (that car really sucks, a tin can with a fake veneer), so I'd much prefer to be in my car.
Old 12-29-2020, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes e350e 2018
I have the same proplem

Basically when you are in 3rd gear and accelerate (for example an on ramp) and the car drops to second the down shift is brutal, like as it shifts off of 3 the car has about a 1 second hiccup between 3 and 2, its a VERY slow downshift unlike every other shift in the car, and you end up popping forward before being thrown back in the seat, like the transmission is slipping, or if you were a stick driver and downshifted hard without rev matching. It was always a little stiff but never like this, its really bad.

Car only has 25k miles and is still under warranty for 3 more years so I'm not totally concerned, just want to see if anyone else has seen this issue before I bring it into the dealer for service, as I feel like they are going to tell me "that is normal operation" or nail me for a transmission service that a car with only 25k miles that is driven very gently should never ever need.
Hello sir .. I’m happy that i meet someone have the same problem of my car .
Old 12-30-2020, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 597 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
A 2018 E350e is not the same at all as a 2014 E350.
Old 05-25-2023, 08:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 W222 S550 4Matic/AMG Sport/Exec/P2 Black/Porcelain White. 2013 W212 E350 4Matic AMG P2 White/NB
Haven't been on here in a couple years, but man do I miss my E350. I ended up getting rid of this car after dealer not being able/willing to continue attempting to fix issue. The issue seemed related the shift solenoid assemblies. They attempted to "flush" and then replaced the solenoid filter assemblies, but the issue still persisted. To continue further investigations would involve replacing the transmission controller, solenoids assemblies, and many more parts that were not were only available via shipping from Germany, and the dealer was not willing to order another part and have it not work. On top of this, Mercedes corporate from Germany suggested a possible solution to resolve the issue would be to swap the transmission, but the dealer claimed if the issue was not resolved, the parts cost would not get covered under warranty. I know they were being a pain in the a$$ and just didn't want to deal with my car, but that was my last straw. I traded the car in at another dealer. In short, my original Mercedes dealer was not willing to risk further warranty costs, and other dealers would not want to work on it due to previous attempts from another Mercedes dealer having failed. I do miss it so much though!
Old 05-25-2023, 09:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,866 Posts
PFL205.064
Haven't been on here in a couple years, but man do I miss my E350. I ended up getting rid of this car after dealer not being able/willing to continue attempting to fix issue. The issue seemed related the shift solenoid assemblies. They attempted to "flush" and then replaced the solenoid filter assemblies, but the issue still persisted. To continue further investigations would involve replacing the transmission controller, solenoids assemblies, and many more parts that were not were only available via shipping from Germany, and the dealer was not willing to order another part and have it not work. On top of this, Mercedes corporate from Germany suggested a possible solution to resolve the issue would be to swap the transmission, but the dealer claimed if the issue was not resolved, the parts cost would not get covered under warranty. I know they were being a pain in the a$$ and just didn't want to deal with my car, but that was my last straw. I traded the car in at another dealer. In short, my original Mercedes dealer was not willing to risk further warranty costs, and other dealers would not want to work on it due to previous attempts from another Mercedes dealer having failed. I do miss it so much though!
Was hoping you also tried another dealership and see if they are willing to help, I don't know about your country but in the USA they are all privately owned by dealership groups so they operate somewhat differently.
Old 05-26-2023, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 575 Likes on 430 Posts
W212 FL

Sorry to hear about it , you can always find another E350 . I know how it feels , I had sold my W212 for arbitrary reasons However. I couldn't resist and picked up another one afterwards .
Old 05-26-2023, 01:23 AM

Received 118 Likes on 61 Posts
2013 E350 Facelift (Japan Import) 2007 E350 Elegance Wagon, 2014 E350 Wagon facelift model Jap Model
Sounds very much like my issue...

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-car-jerk.html
CaliBenzDriver (05-26-2023)
Old 05-26-2023, 09:34 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,866 Posts
PFL205.064
Originally Posted by Aussie_E350_Wag
Wait unless I am missing something (read it wrong or didn't notice it mentioned) but can't believe OP of this thread's dealership didn't at least change the ATF?