Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W212)
Brutal 3-2 downshift 14 E350 >

Brutal 3-2 downshift 14 E350

Notices
E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Brutal 3-2 downshift 14 E350

 
Old 01-01-2019, 10:07 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Rogue Leader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 88
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
2014 Mercedes Benz E350 Sport 4matic
Question Brutal 3-2 downshift 14 E350

Basically when you are in 3rd gear and accelerate (for example an on ramp) and the car drops to second the down shift is brutal, like as it shifts off of 3 the car has about a 1 second hiccup between 3 and 2, its a VERY slow downshift unlike every other shift in the car, and you end up popping forward before being thrown back in the seat, like the transmission is slipping, or if you were a stick driver and downshifted hard without rev matching. It was always a little stiff but never like this, its really bad.

Car only has 25k miles and is still under warranty for 3 more years so I'm not totally concerned, just want to see if anyone else has seen this issue before I bring it into the dealer for service, as I feel like they are going to tell me "that is normal operation" or nail me for a transmission service that a car with only 25k miles that is driven very gently should never ever need.
Rogue Leader is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 04:47 PM
  #2  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Rogue Leader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 88
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
2014 Mercedes Benz E350 Sport 4matic
Well dealer says they updated the transmission software and did a re-adaptation that fixed it. I pick up tomorrow morning so we will see.
Rogue Leader is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Rogue Leader For This Useful Post:
raja777m (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 10:13 PM
  #3  
Newbie
 
iggibar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 10
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
W212 E350 Sport 4Matic
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Well dealer says they updated the transmission software and did a re-adaptation that fixed it. I pick up tomorrow morning so we will see.
I have a 2013 E350 4matic with the sport package, and still under the extended Mercedes warranty. Mine does this same exact thing, however it does it when dropping down to 4th gear. I've noticed that this only happens when I need to accelerate hard. A few times, this happened in conjunction right before "limp home mode" being activated. It once occurred on a trip as I got on the freeway from a rest stop with congested freeway entrance that also had a short onramp. If I'm on the freeway, cruising at 60-65, and accelerate slowly, the issue does not occur. It only occurs when I accelerate hard, like situations where a freeway onramp is super short. Feels as if something is slipping, finally engages when the torque is really high, and after the SUPER aggressive jolt/bang/hit by a 5,000lb hammer, it then accelerates. After experiencing it many times, and purposely trying to create the issue, it seems that the signal to shift down is sent to the transmission, the shift occurs, but torque converter slips due to a lag caused possibly by clogged valve, and due to this lag, it engages at higher internal pressure levels and engine rpms. I've taken it in for this issue 4 times to my Mercedes dealer, and have never been able to fix it. They've reprogrammed the transmission, replaced the fluid, replaced gas pedal, replace throttle wiring, and a few more things I can't remember. It's only until lately that I've researched issues with the 7G transmission related to clogged valve filters that might cause this issue. I just don't really have time to keep taking it in, or playing with it.
iggibar is offline  
Old 01-12-2019, 01:24 PM
  #4  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Rogue Leader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 88
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
2014 Mercedes Benz E350 Sport 4matic
Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
I have a 2013 E350 4matic with the sport package, and still under the extended Mercedes warranty. Mine does this same exact thing, however it does it when dropping down to 4th gear. I've noticed that this only happens when I need to accelerate hard. A few times, this happened in conjunction right before "limp home mode" being activated. It once occurred on a trip as I got on the freeway from a rest stop with congested freeway entrance that also had a short onramp. If I'm on the freeway, cruising at 60-65, and accelerate slowly, the issue does not occur. It only occurs when I accelerate hard, like situations where a freeway onramp is super short. Feels as if something is slipping, finally engages when the torque is really high, and after the SUPER aggressive jolt/bang/hit by a 5,000lb hammer, it then accelerates. After experiencing it many times, and purposely trying to create the issue, it seems that the signal to shift down is sent to the transmission, the shift occurs, but torque converter slips due to a lag caused possibly by clogged valve, and due to this lag, it engages at higher internal pressure levels and engine rpms. I've taken it in for this issue 4 times to my Mercedes dealer, and have never been able to fix it. They've reprogrammed the transmission, replaced the fluid, replaced gas pedal, replace throttle wiring, and a few more things I can't remember. It's only until lately that I've researched issues with the 7G transmission related to clogged valve filters that might cause this issue. I just don't really have time to keep taking it in, or playing with it.
Thanks for the reply, thats exactly what I was feeling but less often and never seeing that "limp home mode". I drove it home today and it did seem smoother on downshifts but still not really as smooth as I expected, or as smooth as my wife's GLE 350 which is essentially the same drivetrain. I did see what you are describing about the valve as well and I assumed thats what they were gonna do. I guess I know what i have to look forward to now.... I knew this wasn't going to truly fix it.
Rogue Leader is offline  
Old 01-12-2019, 05:32 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northeast
Posts: 258
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
2011 E350 4Matic
Longshot here, but I had the same problem in mine and it went away after new intake manifold and engine/transmission mounts. I think the main culprit was a broken lever on the intake manifold, because the transmission was expecting the car to produce a certain amount of power which was thrown off because the intake flaps were in the wrong position, and the torque value to the transmission was not what was expected. Scan for an 0520 code.

Again, this is a longshot, but worked for me.
300SE1993 is offline  
Old 01-13-2019, 11:45 AM
  #6  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Rogue Leader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 88
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
2014 Mercedes Benz E350 Sport 4matic
Originally Posted by 300SE1993 View Post
Longshot here, but I had the same problem in mine and it went away after new intake manifold and engine/transmission mounts. I think the main culprit was a broken lever on the intake manifold, because the transmission was expecting the car to produce a certain amount of power which was thrown off because the intake flaps were in the wrong position, and the torque value to the transmission was not what was expected. Scan for an 0520 code.

Again, this is a longshot, but worked for me.
I don't see any movement in the engine bay, and the car only has 25k miles, I can't imagine engine/trans mounts failing that quickly. The programming seems to have fixed it for now, but I anticipate that will change once I've driven it more when it cold.
Rogue Leader is offline  
Old 01-13-2019, 07:58 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northeast
Posts: 258
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
2011 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
I don't see any movement in the engine bay, and the car only has 25k miles, I can't imagine engine/trans mounts failing that quickly. The programming seems to have fixed it for now, but I anticipate that will change once I've driven it more when it cold.
Your car is 5 years old and that's more than enough for engine mounts to fail on these cars. Others can chime in if they agree or disagree on that.
300SE1993 is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 11:37 AM
  #8  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Rogue Leader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 88
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
2014 Mercedes Benz E350 Sport 4matic
Originally Posted by 300SE1993 View Post
Your car is 5 years old and that's more than enough for engine mounts to fail on these cars. Others can chime in if they agree or disagree on that.
Not saying you are wrong, but if true thats really annoying that a part like that would fail so quickly.

However I would assume I would notice more vibration issues and it would be more consistent since a part is physically broken, mine is very inconsistent, and like i said seems to be cured so far leaning me towards it actually being a computer issue, or being one of the many known issue with these 7 speed transmissions and valve body or blockage issues.

Either way I have 3 more years of warranty left so as far as I'm concerned the transmission could fall out of it. But the loaner C300 sucks (that car really sucks, a tin can with a fake veneer), so I'd much prefer to be in my car.
Rogue Leader is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Quick Reply: Brutal 3-2 downshift 14 E350


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: