E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

I give up.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 01:42 AM

Received 106 Likes on 73 Posts
W222 S550e, C207 E550, W212 E350
I give up.

Ever since I bought my 2010 E350 with P1 halogen headlights I have been fed up. I am tired of the poor headlight output and the overall look of the yellow bulbs. I have spent months now trying to figure out an H7 LED solution. I've spent hours on the weekends jacking up the car, removing the wheel, removing the fender liner, just to put it all back in frustration. H7 seems to be the most complicated bulb to convert to LED. It is the only bulb size that requires a separate mounting bracket. For example, H11 led bulbs are very easy, the mounting clips are built right into the bulb. So it is plug and play no matter where you take it, halogen or LED, it just always works. H7, on the other hand, is very complex. When buying H7 LED lights, you have to purchase a mounting clip that is compatible with your car separate to the light (they are never included because of the variety of cars the light could be put into). I have gone mad crazy trying to figure out a damn solution to this.

I have so many of those H7 mounting clips at my house. The problem is none of them work and all the descriptions say they fit for an E Class. I buy a new bracket every time the other one does not work and then I go back in the next time I have free time just to be let down.

If any of you have information on this topic please share. I am NOT interested in doing an HID swap. Too many ballasts and extra bits. Every other light on my car has already been converted to LED. Every other light is white and bright and the yellow headlights are throwing it off.

1. No, I do not want to modify the existing H7 halogen bracket for the new LED bulb... too much cutting and measuring when I can just buy separate brackets. Also want to be able to return to stock if I ever have to (just my preference).
2. No, I do not want HIDs.
3. Any info will help me. I am just tired of these yellow lights.
4. Possibly interested in paying for headlight modifications if this doesn't work out so let me know.
5. If you make a custom conversion to LED, show proof and I would love to buy it.
6. Doubt it but, is there a P2 style swap that is somewhat plug and play?
7. This would apply to 2010-2013 All E Class (sedan/coupe) with P1 halogen yellow lights. So don't be afraid to drop any info.

Hopefully, I can figure this thing out with the help of some forums members on here and eventually do my own write up with pictures so I can help P1 owners in the future.

Any information will help. Thank you
Old 04-22-2019, 02:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 842 Likes on 609 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
So you are saying the OEM lights look yellow?
Old 04-22-2019, 02:12 AM

Halogen P1 optioned cars have very yellow lights. From skimming over your page you seem to have a P2 optioned car which has very white and bright lights.

Here is one weekend a while back where I put the light into the projector just to see how good it looks. As you can see the color difference is a big one.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 842 Likes on 609 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by S550e
Halogen P1 optioned cars have very yellow lights. From skimming over your page you seem to have a P2 optioned car which has very white and bright lights.

Here is one weekend a while back where I put the light into the projector just to see how good it looks. As you can see the color difference is a big one.
Yes, I have the Bi-Xenon lights that are awesome.

In your picture the driver side looks bright white but the passenger side is yellow. Why the difference?
Old 04-22-2019, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Arrie
Yes, I have the Bi-Xenon lights that are awesome.

In your picture the driver side looks bright white but the passenger side is yellow. Why the difference?
As stated in the reply above, I inserted the new LED light into the projector housing knowing it wouldn’t stay just to get a peek as to what my lights could looks like. It was there temporarily.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Check topic on other forum.
Ross made pretty detailed description how he converted his W211 to LED.
For some time we had 3 cars with 3 headlight system.
I like xenons, but they still have halogens for high beams.
LED have switching delay and some color distortion on the edges, but great lights.
When we drove the car with projector halogens at night it was like "are the lights on?"
The following users liked this post:
S550e (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 121 Likes on 95 Posts
2015 GL550 4matic
Which LED did you try? Morimoto seem to be the best out there:

http://www.morimotohid.com/h7-led-he...o-2stroke.html

I would think with the bulk behind any LED bulbs there is no way they will fit with the rear caps intact. I have done HID conversions, and they are pretty simple, but I had to cut a slit in the rear cap to let the large wire to the bulb through. It worked fine for years and nice bright color. Don't be afraid of a little ballast. It's easy to tuck up out of the way. Almost everything I've read from knowledgeable people say LED headlights don't work very well, the light pattern and such. Read about the Morimoto product.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by jonUF02
Which LED did you try? Morimoto seem to be the best out there:

http://www.morimotohid.com/h7-led-he...o-2stroke.html

I would think with the bulk behind any LED bulbs there is no way they will fit with the rear caps intact. I have done HID conversions, and they are pretty simple, but I had to cut a slit in the rear cap to let the large wire to the bulb through. It worked fine for years and nice bright color. Don't be afraid of a little ballast. It's easy to tuck up out of the way. Almost everything I've read from knowledgeable people say LED headlights don't work very well, the light pattern and such. Read about the Morimoto product.
Hey Jon,
I purchased the Auxbeam F-16 H7 LED bulbs. They clear the housing just great plug extra room without any modification. Top 3 LED bulbs to buy. I have done more research and may need to retrofit a D2s projector better fit for LED. My problem is the clips. I have more than a few of these clips sitting around and none of them work. I may need to try a different LED bulb as well. Thank you for your input. I will keep researching
Old 04-22-2019, 07:22 PM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 340 Likes on 242 Posts
2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
I don't know if you've been in touch with retrofitsource.com but I've found their products and support to be very good. They might be able to give you some info about the installation clips. Also +1 on the Morimoto products - I've had the Elite 35w HID setup in my car for over 4 years now, no issues , not even a bulb replacement.
The following users liked this post:
S550e (04-22-2019)