E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550
View Poll Results: How Do You like your Comfort Box?
Love it!
37.50%
Like it, but don't use it much
50.00%
Don't like it as all...
4.17%
Don't have one, don't need one.
8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Comfort Box 2019

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,753 Likes on 1,123 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
Comfort Box 2019

History repeats... there is a thread in the W213 Forum where folks are searching for the Love it or Leave it "Comfort Box". It now seems that Mercedes-Benz has seen fit to require buyers purchase extra brackets to fit it within the W213 Trunk... https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-question.html

Once again Mercedes-Benz shows how it can complicate things, unnecessarily with these brackets. Our W212 chassis comes from the factory with the mounting holes for the Comfort Box stamped in the metal cross member. No brackets, and assorted bolts or labor required. Don't know why they've complimented matters by requiring an intermediate bracket in the W213.

No wait, what am I thinking? MB sells the complete unit -- with brackets -- so that you are stuck buying it from them, rather than W212 units from fleeBay. LOL

-------------------------------------------------------------

I hope everyone is getting their use out of the Comfort Box. I thought it great that my car came with it. I especially pointed it out to people wanting to see my new ride, almost with a sense of pride. So I can perfectly understand why people want one for their car.

It's great for trips to the supermarket, and the hooks along the bracket are just as useful as the box interior itself. But I'm coming to have a love/hate relationship with mine.

I've learned long term that the depth of the W212 trunk is just average (17-3/4") if not below average. (The trunk in my wife's Hyundai sedan is more useful at 22".) With the box in place and in the stowed position (trunk depth now just 14"), I am finding it more and more difficult to place everyday items below it -- including some sizes of LUGGAGE -- without interference!

Mounted in the middle of the trunk looks nice, and typically Mercedes-Benz precise. But it actually interferes everywhere, as you can't place a tall item of any width to either side. Perhaps if it were mounted to one side, at least you could use the full depth of the trunk on the other side for some tall items. It's a tight squeeze to place a standard bag of golf clubs in the trunk with the CB in place.

Bottomline, you will likely hear Mr./Ms. Comfort Box complaining as you leave it behind when you take your family of three for an out-of-town weekend. Thankfully, the CB is easily removable, finding a dusty place in my garage more often than not.

What has been your experience with this optional luxury? I genuinely hope you find more use for it than I have.

Last edited by DFWdude; 06-28-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-28-2019, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,622 Likes on 1,191 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
For all of the reasons you just stated I removed mine in January to head to Florida. It is still on the garage shelf collecting dust. It is the source of noise in the rear of the car as well as it clanks around, so I never put it back. I did use it, however and I think it is a worthwhile attempt to keep things from flailing about in the trunk. It's small size is my main complaint and the fact that it is in the way of properly stowing luggage. It is extremely easy to remove and that's a plus.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:43 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
E250 Diesel
Mercedes complicates things. I still don't know if that is really intended to prevent DIY's or because of German "over" engineering........
Old 06-28-2019, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 710 Likes on 527 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
I use it and have not hated it yet...
My luggage fits underneath but I use a CArry on bag most of the time..
Wifes big luggage fit today when I took her to airport no problem.. and hers is a check only luggage one of them big hard sides which do not give any...

and when hauling big things take the wifes SUV as that is what they are for...

ONly issue I have is forgetting I have it sometimes and finding the bread smashed when returning from store after a spirited drive.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 203 Likes on 140 Posts
W212 M276 DELA 30 ; W211 OM642 ; R107 M117, Sierra 1500 LZ0
I wish I still had the hook from my W211 too
Old 06-30-2019, 06:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
Originally Posted by DFWdude
History repeats... .........
I hope everyone is getting their use out of the Comfort Box. I thought it great that my car came with it. I especially pointed it out to people wanting to see my new ride, almost with a sense of pride..........Thankfully, the CB is easily removable, finding a dusty place in my garage more often than not.

What has been your experience with this optional luxury? I genuinely hope you find more use for it than I have.
Originally Posted by KEY08
For all of the reasons you just stated........ that it is in the way of properly stowing luggage. It is extremely easy to remove and that's a plus.
Agree with you guys on the utility. Now how do you remove it if needed? Is it simply unclipping something or does it needs screws and bolts to be removed. In the last 5 years I got to use the CB probably five times. Since we have an SUV for airport runs, the MB trunk hardly ever gets much use. I felt it was a problem only once recently when I had to go on a trip with my buddies.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,753 Likes on 1,123 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by pamiboy
Agree with you guys on the utility. Now how do you remove it if needed? Is it simply unclipping something or does it needs screws and bolts to be removed. In the last 5 years I got to use the CB probably five times. Since we have an SUV for airport runs, the MB trunk hardly ever gets much use. I felt it was a problem only once recently when I had to go on a trip with my buddies.
Funny... the Owner's Manual calls it an "EASY-PACK trunk box." Sounds better than "Comfort Box," which for me sounds all the world like an oriental translation I would read at Banggood.com.

Removal/Install is very easy. Here are the instructions, from you know where...

Last edited by DFWdude; 06-30-2019 at 08:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
pamiboy (07-02-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 09:12 AM

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic sedan
Can these be installed in the 2010 E350 sedan?