E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

DIY: Joyeauto Wireless CarPlay for NTG4.5/4.7

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-31-2021, 12:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Merc W176
Can anyone share their DIP switch settings on the road top who has audio working without using the AMI cable, and has NTG4.7 and a 7 inch screen. Just want to double check.

Thanks
Old 03-31-2021, 01:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 E350 Cab with NTG4.5, Harman Kardon, reverse cam, (almost) installed Road Top
@prestj
I've got an NTG 4.5 with 7" screen, no AMI connected, and my dip settings are 3, 6, & 8 up, the rest down. I struggled with the sound as well; make sure you start your engine (I don't get the connection there, but that seemed to be what broke it free for me).

Last edited by jgarr16; 03-31-2021 at 01:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
prestj (04-02-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 02:04 AM

Merc W176
Cool thanks for the info..I think I've tried starting the engine as well...I've tried so many things losing track hahahaha
Old 03-31-2021, 02:07 AM

Merc W176
Originally Posted by jgarr16
@prestj
I've got an NTG 4.5 with 7" screen, no AMI connected, and my dip settings are 3, 6, & 8 up, the rest down. I struggled with the sound as well; make sure you start your engine (I don't get the connection there, but that seemed to be what broke it free for me).
When you say UP is that on or off, I thought down was on but I guess it depends which way your unit is facing
Old 03-31-2021, 05:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 E350 Cab with NTG4.5, Harman Kardon, reverse cam, (almost) installed Road Top

3, 6, and 8 are "on" (in this case, down; I said up, but I was delusional)
prestj (04-02-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 09:40 PM

Merc W176
Thanks...

Well some success I managed to start getting some sound but I had to go into the road top setting, into the audio menu and max out all the volume settings for main, music, speech and alerts.

But the negative to this is the audio is now very distorted and barely legible....if I wind it down I can't hear anything even if I pump up the volume on the HU....

Anyone else have really quiet audio coming out of the unit?

Thanks

J
Old 04-01-2021, 05:04 PM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
2010 g
Originally Posted by prestj
Thanks...

Well some success I managed to start getting some sound but I had to go into the road top setting, into the audio menu and max out all the volume settings for main, music, speech and alerts.

But the negative to this is the audio is now very distorted and barely legible....if I wind it down I can't hear anything even if I pump up the volume on the HU....

Anyone else have really quiet audio coming out of the unit?

Thanks

J
Mine was original set to level 12 (for both settings, can't remember what they were called.. I think one was audio and the other was for speech or sometthing).

It was all audible, but at a lower volume then when I switched to NTG. I tried switching back and forth and would say the RoadTop volume was about 50-70% of the volume of the NTG.

Raised both to 20 (the highest they go) and the volume is about the same as with the original NTG now. I wanted to make sure I wasn't amplifying a low volume Roadtop input and therefore increasing distortion or anything.

Works perfectly.

I suspect something is wrong with your unit if you have the levels cranked and still can't hear it. If they are cranked all the way, the volume should be almost the same as if you switch to NTG. Try switching back and forth and check.

IF the volume is still much lower, I'd get the unit exchanged.. something is wrong with it for sure. Assuming you have all the fiber optics and things properly plugged in and not loose.

Old 04-02-2021, 02:22 AM

Merc W176
Thanks...

Some success, I ended going back to the aux input in the armrest console as this audio was slightly better than the harness and I was mucking around with the ground cable to see if the audio needed to be grounded. As it turns out I must have a ground loop somewhere because as soon as I connected the ground to one of the metal bolts all the static disappeared and volume increased as well. So now its usable the headunit and carplay unit audio is pretty much the same volume now so I can switch between them without any dramas.
thockless (01-06-2023)
Old 04-23-2021, 05:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 350 AMG
Originally Posted by cadetdrivr
Using "Siri" button on steering wheel on next-gen unit without interference from Mercedes Voice Command

I've been playing more with the Road Top unit and realized that I could press the "voice" button on the steering wheel to bring up Siri when using CarPlay. The problem is this button also activates the built-in Mercedes Voice Command and they interfere with each other.

The solution is simple. Enter the engineering menu (see post #2) and deactivate SDS/TTS (item #21 in the 7.7 HU Parameter menu). FWIW, in Mercedes marketing lingo SDS/TTS means "Speech Dialog System (SDS) including Text-to-Speech (TTS)"

Now the button still works and ONLY activates Siri.

Hi

have been a silent watcher and with the help of this thread got my gl350 working with a road top box... apart from been able to turn the Mercedes voice guidance off. When I look in my 7.7 I only have about seven items. Is there another setting I need to chance to see the full list?

best regards
Old 04-27-2021, 03:21 AM

C204 COUPE
Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone has a fix for android auto WAZE and GOOGLE MAPS not going into night mode
- I have set my phone setting to always on night mode
- I have gone into android auto developer settings and set to night mode
- I have gone into WAZE and GOOGLE MAPS settings through the app and set to night mode

however when on android auto in the car no night mode, i have contacted the seller ROADTOP and they just message back with reduce brightness settings but this is too dark during the day and having to constantly change is not ideal
Old 04-28-2021, 10:07 AM

Received 319 Likes on 248 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Originally Posted by Fendog88
Hi
have been a silent watcher and with the help of this thread got my gl350 working with a road top box... apart from been able to turn the Mercedes voice guidance off. When I look in my 7.7 I only have about seven items. Is there another setting I need to chance to see the full list?
Yes.

It can't remember offhand but it's something silly like having to push the Comand knob to the right instead of rotating to get to the next page.
Old 04-29-2021, 01:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
W212 E550
Thanks to the OP for getting this all figured out and putting up the How To for us all to do this. I completed the job on my car this past weekend and did a YouTube video on the full install. Hope it helps for anyone who is considering doing this, I am really happy with the mod!

The following 2 users liked this post by A-a-ron212:
cadetdrivr (04-29-2021), prestj (05-05-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by A-a-ron212
Thanks to the OP for getting this all figured out and putting up the How To for us all to do this. I completed the job on my car this past weekend and did a YouTube video on the full install. Hope it helps for anyone who is considering doing this, I am really happy with the mod!

https://youtu.be/Z_Q4PckdOLI
Great video! Thanks for creating that and I'll add it to the top so it's not buried deep in this thread,

Old 04-29-2021, 01:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
W212 E550
Great video! Thanks for creating that and I'll add it to the top so it's not buried deep in this thread,

Thanks for doing the hard part of the initial research, really appreciate your write up, made it really easy to get the kit ordered and installed. Much happier with this over the big android screens.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:49 PM

GLK 350
I just installed android screen in my GLK 2015 , everything works except AUX , it’s not getting activated...I have tried enabling through engineering mode but still not working,,,I can see the AUX option from drop down menu from Audio and when selecting AUX it doesn’t get highlighted..any solution for this ?
Old 05-04-2021, 08:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 CLS550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Dipen Neupane
I just installed android screen in my GLK 2015 , everything works except AUX , it’s not getting activated...I have tried enabling through engineering mode but still not working,,,I can see the AUX option from drop down menu from Audio and when selecting AUX it doesn’t get highlighted..any solution for this ?
Hey buddy, I just installed my RoadTop CarPlay unit yesterday in my CLS550.

I always had Aux show as an option to select, but it was still turned off in the engineering menu for some reason.

In the engineering menu I had to turn “MOST” off, then back out to enable Aux in the other settings screen, then return to turn “MOST” back on.

I’m not sure if that helps, but was something weird I noticed before and during my install.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
E550
Two points:
1) For those looking to complete their wireless setup I just found this wireless charger that fits right over the ash tray. Have ordered and will post when it arrives.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002059764155.html

2)I've been using the Road Top unit for almost a year now. The latest firmware fixed some intermittent issues with 360 camera and also some echo issues for callers (audio was always fine on my end but lots of echo for people I call). Very happy over all. Great product.

The following 2 users liked this post by bE550:
billtang (06-23-2021), prestj (05-05-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 09:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 CLS550 4MATIC
Muffled static sound through aux cable

Also, for anyone that catches this thread doing their install - I encountered an audio issue during setup that took me a few hours of searching and reading to find a simple recommendation.

I was aware that the aux cable was no longer necessary for audio. My factory Aux is actually an MMI connector and I REALLY didn’t want to tear apart the center of the car to run the cable.

During testing and setup I simply left the aux cable loose and ran it over top hoping to just not need it.

Here’s where I had trouble. I had zero sound unless I plugged the aux cable in. And when I plugged it in all I got was quoted muffled and static filled sound.

Troubleshooting - I still had audio through FM just fine. That helped me eliminate an amplifier issue.

What solved the problem - there is a Black Ground wire on the same harness as the CarPlay unit’s aux cord. I connected this ground wired to the steel dash frame.

I powered the unit back up with the aux cable connected, perfect sound! I disconnected the aux cable while music was playing, and it kept playing!

Long post for a simple fix, but if it saves one person from having to stay up all night looking for a fix for static low volume muffled sound through aux with their RoadTop CarPlay unit, then it was worth it.

(Hoping that stuffing keywords in here helps someone using the search function.)
prestj (05-05-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 02:46 AM

GLK 350
Originally Posted by Cashdollar2009
Hey buddy, I just installed my RoadTop CarPlay unit yesterday in my CLS550.

I always had Aux show as an option to select, but it was still turned off in the engineering menu for some reason.

In the engineering menu I had to turn “MOST” off, then back out to enable Aux in the other settings screen, then return to turn “MOST” back on.

I’m not sure if that helps, but was something weird I noticed before and during my install.
i tried everything that you mentioned above already but still the AUX is greyed out and not highlighted when selected.. I am not sure how to fix this .. I have tried all instructions as in the below video ...

Old 05-05-2021, 04:44 AM

Merc W176
Originally Posted by Cashdollar2009
Also, for anyone that catches this thread doing their install - I encountered an audio issue during setup that took me a few hours of searching and reading to find a simple recommendation.

I was aware that the aux cable was no longer necessary for audio. My factory Aux is actually an MMI connector and I REALLY didn’t want to tear apart the center of the car to run the cable.

During testing and setup I simply left the aux cable loose and ran it over top hoping to just not need it.

Here’s where I had trouble. I had zero sound unless I plugged the aux cable in. And when I plugged it in all I got was quoted muffled and static filled sound.

Troubleshooting - I still had audio through FM just fine. That helped me eliminate an amplifier issue.

What solved the problem - there is a Black Ground wire on the same harness as the CarPlay unit’s aux cord. I connected this ground wired to the steel dash frame.

I powered the unit back up with the aux cable connected, perfect sound! I disconnected the aux cable while music was playing, and it kept playing!

Long post for a simple fix, but if it saves one person from having to stay up all night looking for a fix for static low volume muffled sound through aux with their RoadTop CarPlay unit, then it was worth it.

(Hoping that stuffing keywords in here helps someone using the search function.)
Hey Cash spot on I posted the same results are few posts up once I connected the ground wire audio was nearly perfect.

"Some success, I ended going back to the aux input in the armrest console as this audio was slightly better than the harness and I was mucking around with the ground cable to see if the audio needed to be grounded. As it turns out I must have a ground loop somewhere because as soon as I connected the ground to one of the metal bolts all the static disappeared and volume increased as well. So now its usable the headunit and carplay unit audio is pretty much the same volume now so I can switch between them without any dramas"
Old 05-05-2021, 04:46 AM

Merc W176
Would someone mind posting an image of the latest roadtop firmware, just making sure when I google I'm looking for the latest one.

Thanks
Old 05-21-2021, 08:20 PM

A4 1.8tfsi
Joyeauto display sometimes failing

Hi,

Anyone experiencing flickering display with joyeauto CarPlay? Sounds and functionalities are working but the display sometimes starts flickering white and black

thanks!
kele

Last edited by kelekun; 05-22-2021 at 03:15 AM.
Old 05-24-2021, 05:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Mercedes Benz C250 CDI W204
Issue returning to MB factory setting

Ya
IF it's all working properly via MB Comand (SD card, radio, CD, etc) then it's an issue somewhere in the Joyeauto setup. All audio (Comand and Joyeauto) goes through the HU and it's transmitted to the external MB amp via the fiber-optic cables.

A partially fit audio cable could easily explain the issue, especially if its left vs right speakers (the signal is stereo L &R). Unfortunately, if that's the case then I think the first step is to verify that the Joyeauto audio cable is fully seated at both ends.

If the cable is fully seated then it's something else. Examples: bad audio cable, harness wiring problem, or the Joyeauto unit itself.

FWIW, the only email I had for Joyeauto was sales@joyeauto.com and they responded fairly quickly considering the time zone difference.

After I installed mine I also noticed an email for tech support: tec@joyeauto.com.
Hey guys new on here, not sure if I’m even typing in the correct space!

I recently fitted the Joyeauto Apple CarPlay interface in my 2013 C250 CDI W204. It was such a pain and like others on here I had to feed the HU harness out through the footwell on the passenger side as there was no room for the module behind the HU.

Everything seems to be working perfectly including the rear camera except I can’t get back to the original MB factory command. When I click on the MB logo on the CarPlay it just goes back to the Home Screen on the Joyeauto Interface.
Has any had this issue? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-24-2021, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Enda Mcdonagh
Has any had this issue? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
You cycle between the Comand screen and CarPlay by pressing, and holding, the 'back' button next to the Comand controller knob on the center console.

Old 05-24-2021, 10:37 PM

Merc W176
Originally Posted by kelekun
Hi,

Anyone experiencing flickering display with joyeauto CarPlay? Sounds and functionalities are working but the display sometimes starts flickering white and black

thanks!
kele
I haven't seen that before, has it happened from day 1 or only started recently after working fine? If it has been happening since day 1 sounds like the DIP switches might be set incorrectly. If it has only started recently then could be a loose connection.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Joyeauto Wireless CarPlay for NTG4.5/4.7