E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

DIY: Joyeauto Wireless CarPlay for NTG4.5/4.7

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-07-2020, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cla200
Originally Posted by cadetdrivr
Unless the website is totally out of date the photos of this unit appear to be yet another version of the unit Joyeauto and others sell. And some of the comparisons are nonsensical. Also, one 'tell' is is still uses an external mic and not the MB OEM one.

Personally, I'd get the unit from aliexpress for both improved quality/performance and price, assuming the photos of the other unit are accurate.
Done. I'm just going to order the Ali Express one and go from there. Thank you again.
Old 08-09-2020, 04:50 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec, 1966 Ford Mustang Convertible (sold)
Received and installed my Road Top unit for my W166 (2013 ML350 Bluetec). Everything was smooth except for fitting the darn USB cable to come out underneath the climate controls into the ashtray/key area.

I have noticed 3 little things so far:

1- I received a call while on my way back home and pressed the answer button on the steering wheel. It picked up the call but no sound at all. I had to take my phone and switch to the OEM MB Bluetooth and now everything worked. Once the call was over, I had to switch back to the Road Top unit Bluetooth.
2- The voice control/command from the Road Top unit intertwines with the MB OEM one.
3- I miss using the center console rotating button/knob to toggle between songs (on the Bluetooth OEM interface). Is there a way to use it (center console button/knob) to toggle between songs while in Waze?

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by Potrice; 08-09-2020 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:27 PM

cla200
Originally Posted by Potrice
Received and installed my Road Top unit for my W166 (2013 ML350 Bluetec). Everything was smooth except for fitting the darn USB cable to come out underneath the climate controls into the ashtray/key area.

I have noticed 3 little things so far:

1- I received a call while on my way back home and pressed the answer button on the steering wheel. It picked up the call but no sound at all. I had to take my phone and switch to the OEM MB Bluetooth and now everything worked. Once the call was over, I had to switch back to the Road Top unit Bluetooth.
2- The voice control/command from the Road Top unit intertwines with the MB OEM one.
3- I miss using the center console rotating button/knob to toggle between songs (on the Bluetooth OEM interface). Is there a way to use it (center console button/knob) to toggle between songs while in Waze?

Thanks everyone!

Hey mate for number 2 see this post

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post8086928

for the other questions not sure how to help as i haven't got my unit yet. Btw is this with Carplay or Android Auto?
Old 08-09-2020, 07:34 PM

cla200
Carsara response seems to be non existant. So in terms of firmware update etc, are firmware updates between all these vendors the same or can they be used between the units?
Old 08-09-2020, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by achandab1

for the other questions not sure how to help as i haven't got my unit yet. Btw is this with Carplay or Android Auto?
Ty I will try that to fix number 2. It's with Carplay.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:48 PM

Here is my current Road Top version. Am I using the most recent one? Everything is working fine.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:05 AM

Received 319 Likes on 248 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Here is my current Road Top version. Am I using the most recent one? Everything is working fine.
Yup, you are good. There is a newer MCU update out there, but it only applies to cars with 360 cameras.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:17 AM

Yup, you are good. There is a newer MCU update out there, but it only applies to cars with 360 cameras.
Thanks! Do you have a solution to my problem? (I made a post above)
Old 08-10-2020, 09:22 AM

Carsara response seems to be non existant. So in terms of firmware update etc, are firmware updates between all these vendors the same or can they be used between the units?
They appear to be individually coded and not cross updatable.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:27 AM

Thanks! Do you have a solution to my problem? (I made a post above)
1) You can use either the MB bluetooth or CarPlay for calls. Play around with it and you'll see how it works.
2) Looks like it was answered
3) Not that I am aware. I would suggest recommending this to Road Top as a product improvement. Note that it's certainly possible as this is the default behavior of the Joyeauto unit.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:35 AM

1) You can use either the MB bluetooth or CarPlay for calls. Play around with it and you'll see how it works.
2) Looks like it was answered
3) Not that I am aware. I would suggest recommending this to Road Top as a product improvement. Note that it's certainly possible as this is the default behavior of the Joyeauto unit.
I don't mind using the MB Bluetooth (it will probably be higher quality than the Road Top unit), it's the switching back and forth on my phone that's annoying and potentially dangerous (I have to switch it via my phone while driving). Road Top manual just suggests disconnecting from the MB BT to just keep the BT with the Road Top unit.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:37 AM

I don't mind using the MB Bluetooth (it will probably be higher quality than the Road Top unit), it's the switching back and forth on my phone that's annoying and potentially dangerous (I have to switch it via my phone while driving).
Try both and decide what works best for you. Remember that one of the advantages of the next-gen units is the fact that they use the same OEM MB mic for calls as bluetooth.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2013 GL450
after upgrading the IOS 13.6 ran into a BT switching problem on incoming calls, upgraded to IOS 14 beta and still had problem. Eventually discovered a new setting that needs to be set in IOS, really hard to find makes no sense they hid it here

SETTINGS - ACCESSIBILITY -- TOUCH -- CALL AUDIO ROUTING === Set it to Bluetooth headset

When set to Automatic - Outgoing calls work fine but incoming calls would not switch to MB Bluetooth would use the ejoyaudio mic (they cold hear me) but no sound on my end.
The following users liked this post:
cadetdrivr (08-11-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 10:28 PM

2013 GL450
I don't mind using the MB Bluetooth (it will probably be higher quality than the Road Top unit), it's the switching back and forth on my phone that's annoying and potentially dangerous (I have to switch it via my phone while driving). Road Top manual just suggests disconnecting from the MB BT to just keep the BT with the Road Top unit.
check my last post maybe your solution
Old 08-10-2020, 10:30 PM

2013 GL450

check my last pot for your mb bluetooth solution
Old 08-11-2020, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Packrat555
after upgrading the IOS 13.6 ran into a BT switching problem on incoming calls, upgraded to IOS 14 beta and still had problem. Eventually discovered a new setting that needs to be set in IOS, really hard to find makes no sense they hid it here

SETTINGS - ACCESSIBILITY -- TOUCH -- CALL AUDIO ROUTING === Set it to Bluetooth headset

When set to Automatic - Outgoing calls work fine but incoming calls would not switch to MB Bluetooth would use the ejoyaudio mic (they cold hear me) but no sound on my end.
Thanks! This fixed my problem with the BT during calls. I tested outgoing and ingoing calls and both worked perfectly without having to switch from the OEM MB BT and the Road Top unit BT on my iPhone.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:40 AM

W204 (2012)
Hi everyone! I want to buy a RoadTop box, but I have a few questions:
1. About sound quality via box, instead native Comand BT Audio or AUX. Are there any differences?
As far as I understand: control of buttons on the Comand itself and audio tab on dash are lost. Joyeauto provide NEXT/PREV alias as knob LEFT/RIGHT; what about RoadTop? Can i assign custom aliases in settings?
3. Now my aftermarket rear-view camera is connected via a video interface box. Did I understand correctly that by purchasing this box, I can connect the camera to it directly?
Old 08-11-2020, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Drafted
Hi everyone! I want to buy a RoadTop box, but I have a few questions:
1. About sound quality via box, instead native Comand BT Audio or AUX. Are there any differences?
It's as good or better as BT or AUX. FWIW, the audio actually gets connected via the AUX input.
2. As far as I understand: control of buttons on the Comand itself and audio tab on dash are lost. Joyeauto provide NEXT/PREV alias as knob LEFT/RIGHT; what about RoadTop? Can i assign custom aliases in settings?
Currently, no. But that would be a great feature request.
3. Now my aftermarket rear-view camera is connected via a video interface box. Did I understand correctly that by purchasing this box, I can connect the camera to it directly?
Yes. In the settings one can select select to use the MB OEM camera (if installed) or an aftermarket camera when the car is in reverse. (I have the OEM camera so I can't vouch for the performance of an aftermarket unit.)
Drafted (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Packrat555

This is great gouge and also works with Road Top unit.

The other solution is to leave CALL AUDIO ROUTING = AUTO and 'forget' MB Bluetooth in bluetooth settings on the iPhone. This forces the unit to use either the Joyeauto mic or the OEM MB mic (next-gen boxes) and keeps the iPhone in the CarPlay audio mode.

Of the two, using MB Bluetooth has noticeably better outgoing call quality as it appears that the Comand unit is applying corrections to the mic. The downside is it may cause issues if you have other bluetooth headsets with active connections.
AndLarDK (09-29-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 06:33 PM

Received 92 Likes on 65 Posts
2016 S550
Has anyone else with RoadTop unit noticed that during hot weather (100F) when the cabin is really hot, the screen is just blank/black?
Happened a few times and a restart kicks it back on but now I’m noticing it consistently that it is hot weather (what feels like 150F inside when I first enter the car).
Old 08-16-2020, 06:14 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
2012 E550 Cabriolet 2011 VW Eos 1985 Pininfarina Spider
Originally Posted by pl626
I finally updated the firmware to the 3/20 version. This is the first update that's been done on my box since the initial install over a year ago. I was nervous about the iOS13 update, but that was more or less seamless. I did notice that the wireless connection seemed slower than prior to the iOS13 release, but I didn't bother to check for a FW update from Joyeauto, until now. Now that I've updated the FW, the wireless connection is very quick again, as it was initially.

I did have to reset the icon, as previously described, using the 1123 password for CarPlay in the Joyeauto settings menu. I also had to reset the BT in the Joyeauto menu to reset the wireless connection. Other than that the update was pretty smooth and straightforward.

Thx to all for documenting the issues and procedures!
I have not updated in a while. Is the 3/20 update the most recent? Is it worth the time to do the update? I'm having a couple of intermittent issues with connecting. Sometimes it will not connect via bluetooth and I have to turn bluetooth off and back on to connect. Sometimes when it does connect via bluetooth it will connect with the wifi, but says no internet connection. I can turn the wifi off and on, then it will connect. I am also having an issue with waze not switching to day mode when auto is selected on the app. It switches fine on my iPhone, but not with the Joyeauto interface. Ideas?
Old 08-16-2020, 08:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E250
“Sometimes when it does connect via bluetooth it will connect with the wifi, but says no internet connection.”

This is exactly what started happening to me today. About a week ago I upgraded my iPhone to iOS 14 beta and I Had no problems. Everything kept working normally. The only change I noticed was the Siri display on my dash: whereas before a Shimmering horizontal line Appeared when Siri spoke, now I am seeing a shimmering ball when she speaks. But today strange things began to happen. The Joyeauto CarPlay wallpaper changed and background colors changed and when I would ask Siri to do some thing she would reply that something went wrong. I found that Bluetooth was connected but the Wi-Fi connection showed no Internet. I have started and restarted every thing I can think of and for a while I lost CarPlay functionality entirely. When I finally gave up this afternoon I was seeing CarPlay and Siri was hearing me and even responding to me but only to tell me that she couldn’t do anything. Earlier I noticed that Waze knew where I was and could display my location on a road map, But otherwise could not communicate with my iPhone. What to do?
Old 08-17-2020, 04:34 AM

Received 92 Likes on 65 Posts
2016 S550
I returned/exchanged my RoadTop unit today with a replacement sent by Amazon. I just swapped the units and used the same wires from the original order (didn’t want to tear apart the dash since the wiring was identical).
Anyways, my 360 surround issues are now fixed. So far it’s working 100% after I updated to MCU 20.7.16.18 firmware. New unit also shipped with MCU 20.4.30.17 as did my original.
However, the difference is my new unit has CUST Version: v2.1.0.8.lt.m4_2
My old unit with the problems shipped with CUST Version: v2.1.0.6.lt.m2
Both are HW: BENZ2.
So I’m not sure what the cust versions mean but that might have been the issue for me. I still think it was just defective hardware since it sometimes worked and sometimes didn’t.
The old unit also doesn’t turn on when it’s super hot inside the car.. it’s been 100+F several days in a row here in California and it has been consistently starting up with a black screen. After 10 minutes of AC blasting and cabin cooling down, the screen comes back. Or after several restarts by holding down back button.

Anyway, tomorrow is another 105+F weather, I will see if this new unit has any issues with the heat. Also, the user manual has about 6 more pages and new pictures than the old manual.
Old 08-18-2020, 02:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 E250 4Matic
just to summerise the new units have a couple of questions

1: for the knob, it mentioned that joystick function works, but does the rotation also functions for scrolling?

2: for Aux in, I have Aux enabled in engeneering menu, do I still need to run a cable to the center console to the usb or ami port or does the harness take care of it for me and i dont need to take apart my center console?
Old 08-18-2020, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Badwolf
just to summerise the new units have a couple of questions

1: for the knob, it mentioned that joystick function works, but does the rotation also functions for scrolling?
Yes.

The one thing the new units do not do, unlike the Joyeauto unit, is enable skip/next during audio playback with the joystick regardless of the active screen in CarPlay. You can still skip/next but only using the GUI.

Originally Posted by Badwolf
2: for Aux in, I have Aux enabled in engeneering menu, do I still need to run a cable to the center console to the usb or ami port or does the harness take care of it for me and i dont need to take apart my center console?
With AUX enabled, there is no need to run a cable. It's already integrated in the harness.

Note that this is in direct contradiction to some of the published information. If I had to suspect, some sellers are trying to avoid problems with folks messing up their Comand settings.

Last edited by cadetdrivr; 08-18-2020 at 03:01 PM.
javigozala (11-18-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Joyeauto Wireless CarPlay for NTG4.5/4.7