E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

DIY: Joyeauto Wireless CarPlay for NTG4.5/4.7

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-08-2020 | 05:09 PM

2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Originally Posted by BillNick
What is the method for making updates to the system please?
I bought my unit in December 2019 and have only just fitted it.....
Short version:

1) Download the update from Joyeauto

2) Copy to a USB thumb drive

3) Start car, connect thumb drive to Joyeauto USB port, and update via the user interface

4) When completed, turn off car and LOCK the car for 10 mins (this removes power from the Joyeauto hardware and enables a reboot at the next start)

Here's the Joyeauto video that explains it:

Last edited by cadetdrivr; 04-08-2020 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-10-2020 | 09:43 AM

2013 GL450
https://www.joyeauto.com/support/upgrade/
here are the site password:
Download: joyedow
Installation: joyeins
Tech Support: joyetec
User Manual: joyeauto*

update instructions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9MB...ature=youtu.be

after update you need to look car for a while so unit powers down and reloads the new software upon power up. Don't panic if it doesn't connect at first I had to retry / reset several times eventually git it to work.

I upgraded mostly for the airplay feature. Trick is to switch to airplay / iosmirror before you plug in the cable.
Old 04-10-2020 | 12:10 PM

The Joyeauto website came back up so I was able to update to the 3-12-20 software.

After doing the update I noticed that I'm still on V0.1 for the MCU, which is what my units were shipped with. Has anybody tried to update the MCU and if so what version did you use?

Old 04-10-2020 | 04:56 PM

2010 E350
Originally Posted by cadetdrivr
Short version:

1) Download the update from Joyeauto

2) Copy to a USB thumb drive

3) Start car, connect thumb drive to Joyeauto USB port, and update via the user interface

4) When completed, turn off car and LOCK the car for 10 mins (this removes power from the Joyeauto hardware and enables a reboot at the next start)

Here's the Joyeauto video that explains it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9MBc7FQVCA&t=9s
guys, do you suggest me to update my firmware? I have not done it since last september. Is there any new feature? The bt phone call voice echo issue is resolved?

I am looking for wireless mirror feature.
Old 04-10-2020 | 09:02 PM

Mercedes E63 W212
Originally Posted by E Lover
guys, do you suggest me to update my firmware? I have not done it since last september. Is there any new feature? The bt phone call voice echo issue is resolved?

I am looking for wireless mirror feature.
Hey bro, I have been following your install. I have a 2011 E63 with ntg4. How did you feed the system the audio? I dont want any buzzing. I have the media connector in the glove box and no aux headphone jack type connection. Im on the chat with joyeauto and the chick is saying that there is no need for aux. Its fed through factory harness. Thoughts?
Old 04-11-2020 | 08:25 AM

2014 E220 Cabriolet (A207)
Thanks very much guys.
Just a quick question about the cable which you plug your USB flash drive into....does the unit do the update via the CP_USB cable which JoyeAuto supply, or do you need to connect up the 'update' port on the unit which looks like a mini usb, kindle type port?
Reason I ask, is that before I install the unit neatly back behind the glove box, I want to make sure I run the update cable into the glove box to make updating etc easier going forwards.
Thanks again.
Bill
Old 04-11-2020 | 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by BillNick
Just a quick question about the cable which you plug your USB flash drive into....does the unit do the update via the CP_USB cable which JoyeAuto supply, or do you need to connect up the 'update' port on the unit which looks like a mini usb, kindle type port?
Reason I ask, is that before I install the unit neatly back behind the glove box, I want to make sure I run the update cable into the glove box to make updating etc easier going forwards.
The normal software updates are via a USB stick plugged into the Joyeauto CP_USB cable.

You may want to plug an extension cable into the 'update' port in the unlikely event you ever need to update the MCU firmware.
The following users liked this post:
Aussiejase (04-12-2020)
Old 04-11-2020 | 05:59 PM

2014 E220 Cabriolet (A207)
Great, thanks v much
Old 04-11-2020 | 10:11 PM

2013 GL450
it is supposed to work through the harness but i could never get it to work. My AUX input is the media connector in the center console (GL450) has a cable adapter thing that plugs in and provides and phone jack.

I fished the phone jack to the console. remove media jack connector and tucked everything inside console. in the gl450 the connector panel in the console is easily remove. Also fished a usb extension cable with a panel mount connector to place in the rectangular hole which it a little to big but glued it from the back all is well.

Amazon Amazon
Old 04-11-2020 | 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Packrat555
it is supposed to work through the harness but i could never get it to work. My AUX input is the media connector in the center console (GL450) has a cable adapter thing that plugs in and provides and phone jack.
FWIW, I also have a X166 and it worked though the harness once I manually enabled the AUX input via the engineering menu of Comand. YMMV
Old 04-22-2020 | 01:34 PM

https://www.joyeauto.com/support/upgrade/
here are the site password:
Download: joyedow
Installation: joyeins
Tech Support: joyetec
User Manual: joyeauto*

update instructions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9MB...ature=youtu.be

after update you need to look car for a while so unit powers down and reloads the new software upon power up. Don't panic if it doesn't connect at first I had to retry / reset several times eventually git it to work.

I upgraded mostly for the airplay feature. Trick is to switch to airplay / iosmirror before you plug in the cable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBbr6jXZ6O4
Which update from their website did you use? #1? Do you know if #1 has all the updates? Thanks, btw your posts have been super helpful for my installation
Old 04-23-2020 | 07:10 AM

2014 E250
Maybe this will help somebody, maybe not, whatever...

One of the primary reasons I installed a Joyeauto unit into my 2014 MB E-class was to be able to see Waze navigation on my dashboard. Yeah, there have been plenty of other nice features to enjoy, but that was what got me started.

So imagine my disappointment when, a month or two ago, the microphone icon disappeared in my Joyeauto Waze display. I was accustomed to using my MB's dial to select the Waze microphone in order to use voice commands to tell Waze where I wanted to go. And now the mike icon was gone and I was reduced to telling my iPhone’s Waze app where I wanted to go, rather than talking directly to Waze in Joyeauto.

Today I discovered I could say, "Hey Siri...tell Waze to take me home" and it would work. I don't need the Waze microphone icon. Yay. And now you know.

Last edited by Favog; 04-23-2020 at 07:12 AM.
Old 04-23-2020 | 05:59 PM

2013 Mercedes e350
Originally Posted by cadetdrivr
Before starting, I would strongly recommend doing three things:

1) Label the Joyeauto cables using the diagram included with the unit. (The PDF is attached to the previous post)

2) Watch the installation video on the Joyeauto site (note that it's a different head unit than depicted in this thread)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmo-uB4Inms

3) View the video below. Although it depicts a wired CarPlay installation in a X166, it uses a virtually identical wiring harness and provides a good overview of the next steps. Important: take note of the optical data cables for the external amp (if installed) and the necessity to move them to the new harness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmldVyeoz08

Ok, here we go....

The Joyeauto unit largely works by inserting itself into the video chain between the MB Comand unit and the MB LCD screen.. This enables the Joyeauto unit to output bit-perfect digital video to the MB's LCD screen and quickly switch sources between itself and the Comand's output. Meanwhile audio is input via the Comand's AUX input.

On my 2014 USA spec W212 w/ Harmon Kardon audio I had to manually enable the AUX input in the Comand Engineering Mode. So this step may not be necessary for W212s with factory AUX inputs.

Enter the Engineering Mode by pressing and holding "red phone" and "1" and "#" all at once on the front of the Comand unit until the Engineering Mode appears.

You will see this screen:

Go to 7 (HW Setting) and verify that Audio AUX is "on."

If Audio AUX is 'on', you are done here.

Otherwise, back up to the previous screen and go to menu 7.5 and turn MOST "OFF".

Once MOST is off, you can go back to 7.7 and enable Audio AUX.

Then go back to 7.5 and turn MOST "ON" and (2) Audio Source: External AMP. The HK system uses an external AMP and without this on, it won't work. I don't know if non-HK cars use an external amp or not, so one my have to try both options.

Reboot Comand by pressing and holding the center "ON" button on the front of the unit.
I know it's been a while but did you have a problem with reverse camera? I followed your instructions and got the volume working but now camera is black with car symbol on side of screen or just the lines and no video

​​​
Old 04-23-2020 | 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Devin nalls
I know it's been a while but did you have a problem with reverse camera? I followed your instructions and got the volume working but now camera is black with car symbol on side of screen or just the lines and no video​​​
Both my E and GL have the factory reverse camera and both work the same as before the Joyeauto installation. I don’t recall having to make any adjustments. Sorry I can’t be more specific and would suggest reaching out to Joyeauto.

EDIT: Also take a look at the DIP SWITCHES on the exterior of the Joyeauto unit. I don't know about the NTG version for your 2013 but on my 2014 NTG 4.5/4.7 unit switch #8 selects the original reverse camera or an aftermarket camera.

Last edited by cadetdrivr; 04-23-2020 at 07:05 PM.
Devin nalls (04-23-2020)
Old 04-23-2020 | 06:20 PM

2010 E350
Does anyone know what's been changed in the new firmwares? I upgraded from October2019 firmware to march 2020 but not that much of feature /performance change. Except the call quality tester feature

Last edited by E Lover; 04-23-2020 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-25-2020 | 10:03 AM

W205
Password

For those that have updated, you may have noticed that icon that takes you to the Joyeauto menu from within CarPlay has defaulted back to “Auto” label. To correct this so it shows the right car make like Mercedes with the right make symbol go into the Joyeauto menu and select the CarPlay option in settings then enter password 1123 this will allow you to select the right car maker!
The following 2 users liked this post by JDUK:
cadetdrivr (04-25-2020), pl626 (07-29-2020)
Old 04-29-2020 | 02:16 PM

2013 GL450
the ios airplay is why i updated. switch from carplay to airplay in joyeauto menu plug iphone into usb and you can mirror phone including full screen youtube.
Old 04-29-2020 | 03:10 PM

2010 E350
the ios airplay is why i updated. switch from carplay to airplay in joyeauto menu plug iphone into usb and you can mirror phone including full screen youtube.
but it's not new, with cable you always could mirror! nothing new since last september...let me know if I'm wrong...
Old 05-01-2020 | 02:44 PM

2013 GL450
Originally Posted by E Lover
but it's not new, with cable you always could mirror! nothing new since last september...let me know if I'm wrong...
I think is was an update for youtube to work full screen. Previous version locked up when I tried - the update seems to be stable. It's a fun feature but not somthing i'd use often

I still have instances where it does not always automatically connect and have to go into settings / bluetooth / joyeauto and click on connect. This could be my old iphone 7.

Otherwise I continue to be amazed at how well this unit works. So glad I did not go with the android touch screen upgrade.
Old 05-01-2020 | 02:48 PM

2010 E350
I think is was an update for youtube to work full screen. Previous version locked up when I tried - the update seems to be stable. It's a fun feature but not somthing i'd use often

I still have instances where it does not always automatically connect and have to go into settings / bluetooth / joyeauto and click on connect. This could be my old iphone 7.

Otherwise I continue to be amazed at how well this unit works. So glad I did not go with the android touch screen upgrade.
For sure it's a great unit. I am looking forward to have a fully wireless screen mirroring option, like apple tv feature at home.
Old 05-09-2020 | 09:25 AM

2015 E250 4Matic
Been thinking of getting something like this, have few local sellers that can install it $650 Canadian, not sure if it's same brand.

But looking around Ali express I see tons of units that look identical, but for far cheaper. Around $350 can covid price I guess

Have few questions for self install
1) are all these units the same?
2) do I need to route another microphone or does the built in mic for Siri and android auto commands?
3) do I need to route any cables in the console to reach the usb or DMI port?
4) for GPS does it use a separate antenna or splices to existing GPS antenna?

I'm pretty handy with my computer repair skills of the past, but I hate making holes in my car's if it saves me $300 I would try this myself
Old 05-09-2020 | 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Badwolf
Been thinking of getting something like this, have few local sellers that can install it $650 Canadian, not sure if it's same brand.

But looking around Ali express I see tons of units that look identical, but for far cheaper. Around $350 can covid price I guess

2) do I need to route another microphone or does the built in mic for Siri and android auto commands?

I'm pretty handy with my computer repair skills of the past, but I hate making holes in my car's if it saves me $300 I would try this myself
1) It's hard to know but lots of them certainly look the same. At least Joyeauto has a website and provides software updates. A couple competing units I've looked at do not.
2) Yes. But you can also continue to use the higher quality MB Bluetooth for phone calls (at least with CarPlay, I don't know about Android Auto)
3) Yes or No, depending on how you want to route it. FWIW, I did not bother to route it to the center console since it's a wireless connection. However, you will still want to have access to the unit's USB port for software updates.
4) Neither, I think. From what I can gather it uses the phone's GPS.

Last edited by cadetdrivr; 05-09-2020 at 09:35 AM.
achandab1 (08-06-2020)
Old 05-09-2020 | 11:03 AM

2013 GL450
Originally Posted by Badwolf

I will say all the extra cables and connectors make it had to fit the head unit back in. I would up carving out the plastic that separate the head unit and a/c controls to make room for the cables to more easily drop down below the head unit.

routing a usb extension to the center console is easy. shove your coat hanger wire down from under to head unit area towards driver foot well area. from the center console aim down and towards same area. not hard at all. Also the panel in center console with connectors comes out pry up the bottom cover to get to the screws. I popped out the existing usb and while the new cable doesn't fit perfect hot glue solves the problem. I thought about making a second hole and leaving the stock usb but there really isn't a reason to keep it so it's tucked behind the panel

Amazon Amazon

the mic is only for siri. I ran it up the driver a pillar and left it in the corner

I am totally satisfied with the ejoyauto unit. I think the ali store may be direct but I purchased off their website direct and received it from china in three days. Has glitched out a few times but otherwise works perfect, I never ever use the stock screen anymore

Just upgraded my iphone7 to iphone SE world of difference no more issues connecting amazing how quick it now connects within 2-3 second of starting car it's connected and pandoa is playing where it left off.

Last edited by Packrat555; 05-20-2020 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-10-2020 | 08:18 PM

C300
Has anyone else had issues making calls through CarPlay instead of the stock MB Bluetooth connection. I finally connected my mic and Siri works great but when i make a call the person on the other end can hear me but i can’t hear them. Audio works fine with all other apps in CarPlay mode and calls work fine on the stock BT system.
Old 05-10-2020 | 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by nycsr20
Has anyone else had issues making calls through CarPlay instead of the stock MB Bluetooth connection. I finally connected my mic and Siri works great but when i make a call the person on the other end can hear me but i can’t hear them. Audio works fine with all other apps in CarPlay mode and calls work fine on the stock BT system.
Yes.

As a technique I keep the phone bluetooth paired with the stock BT system and select the MB Bluetooth on the audio menu of the phone when making calls. It seems to maintain that preference for multiple calls until the car is turned off. CarPlay is used the entire time so I don't have to switch back to the MB screen in Comand.
pl626 (07-29-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Joyeauto Wireless CarPlay for NTG4.5/4.7