E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

DIY: Joyeauto Wireless CarPlay for NTG4.5/4.7

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-06-2020, 04:44 PM

Received 320 Likes on 248 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Originally Posted by aibkaresz
Is there any other options I should consider? Thank you!
Yes, there is. Check out the end of this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-retrofit.html

A couple members are gonna install when they get the chance so I'd wait a little bit to wait for their feedback.
The following 2 users liked this post by cadetdrivr:
aibkaresz (09-06-2020), S550e (09-06-2020)
Old 09-06-2020, 04:49 PM

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts
W222 S550e, C207 E550, W212 E350
Originally Posted by cadetdrivr

A couple members are gonna install when they get the chance so I'd wait a little bit to wait for their feedback.
Thanks cadetdrivr, I was just about to post the same thing. My unit is in Los Angeles and should be at my house soon. We will let you know how it goes and try to workout all the bugs with installing and software issues on the NTG4.0 side.
Old 09-06-2020, 04:55 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
'10 W204 C300

Wow thank you for the super fast response, I will wait a bit then. I'm just wondering if it uses the built in microphone as the new gen ones (I really wouldn't bother hiding all the mic cable around if it's not necessary).

Thanks!
Old 09-06-2020, 05:03 PM

'10 W204 C300
S550e: I've read on the other thread that you are waiting for yours! I'm really excited to see how it goes, really hoping this is a better solution for NTG4 users!
Old 09-06-2020, 05:08 PM

Wow thank you for the super fast response, I will wait a bit then. I'm just wondering if it uses the built in microphone as the new gen ones (I really wouldn't bother hiding all the mic cable around if it's not necessary).

Thanks!
From my understanding, the mic is only used for 'Hey Siri' (and Siri commands) and Bluetooth calling through the unit. I am only going to use the unit for maps and music so I am planning on leaving the mic in the glovebox or something. Or not plugging it in at all. You can still answer phone calls through the stock Comand unit with your steering wheel buttons, or flipping back to the Comand screen while the phone is ringing. I don't see the point for the extra mic, unless I'm missing something (feel free to chime in) but the NTG4.5 and above have the luxury of not needing an extra mic at all.
The following users liked this post:
aibkaresz (09-06-2020)
Old 09-06-2020, 05:13 PM

'10 W204 C300
Originally Posted by S550e
From my understanding, the mic is only used for 'Hey Siri' (and Siri commands) and Bluetooth calling through the unit. I am only going to use the unit for maps and music so I am planning on leaving the mic in the glovebox or something. Or not plugging it in at all. You can still answer phone calls through the stock Comand unit with your steering wheel buttons, or flipping back to the Comand screen while the phone is ringing. I don't see the point for the extra mic, unless I'm missing something (feel free to chime in) but the NTG4.5 and above have the luxury of not needing an extra mic at all.
Ahhaaa, you might be right! Well Siri does not support my language, and I have never used it for more than having 5-10 minutes fun with it, therefore if it is only required for Siri I will also leave it out. My other concern is connecting the phone via cable (to allow charging at the same time). Is it possible in the glovebox only? Would it be a nightmare to route the cable to somewhere more accessible?

Last edited by aibkaresz; 09-06-2020 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-06-2020, 05:20 PM

Ahhaaa, you might be right! Well Siri does not support my language, and I have never used it for more than having 5-10 minutes fun with it, therefore if it is only required for Siri I will also leave it out. My other concern is connecting the phone via cable (to allow charging at the same time). Is it possible in the glovebox only? Would it be a nightmare to route the cable somewhere more accessible?
I believe the cable does provide charging and wired CarPlay. Most people place it snug in the passenger foot well, near the AC controls. You can also route it to the cup holder/ash area (by drilling a small hole) or in the glove box. The cup holder method will require you to take out the AC unit and cup holders but, if you are already taking out the Comand unit, it is not many more steps. But you will want to know where it is regardless so you can update the unit as needed or for the wired interface.

I'd say one of the better methods is leave the cable in the passenger foot well, use wireless CarPlay, and charge your phone in the cigarette lighter in the cup holder area.
Old 09-06-2020, 05:29 PM

'10 W204 C300
Originally Posted by S550e
I believe the cable does provide charging and wired CarPlay. Most people place it snug in the passenger foot well, near the AC controls. You can also route it to the cup holder/ash area (by drilling a small hole) or in the glove box. The cup holder method will require you to take out the AC unit and cup holders but, if you are already taking out the Comand unit, it is not many more steps. But you will want to know where it is regardless so you can update the unit as needed or for the wired interface.

I'd say one of the better methods is leave the cable in the passenger foot well, use wireless CarPlay, and charge your phone in the cigarette lighter in the cup holder area.
I can be easily convinced thanks! Just reading that Joyeauto users had issues with connection taking 2-3 minutes it sounded a good alternative that I quickly plug it in and it’s solved. Also it sounds more complicated of course to route the cable.
Old 09-06-2020, 05:50 PM

I can be easily convinced thanks! Just reading that Joyeauto users had issues with connection taking 2-3 minutes it sounded a good alternative that I quickly plug it in and it’s solved. Also it sounds more complicated of course to route the cable.
FYI, the most recent software update from Joyeauto (2020-8-12) massively improves wifi consistency.
Old 09-07-2020, 03:00 AM

'10 W204 C300
After some additional thinking and research I am getting closer to understand the full picture. I have 2 question marks floating in front of my eyes now.

If the module is hidden between the main console and the glovebox as shown on the video, the glovebox must be removed every time when you want to update the module (of course wiring out the usb is an other solution). As I understand cadetdrivr removed a small plastic from the end of the glovebox to enable wiring into it and the module is easily accessible, I'm just wondering if the W204 has the same option, or if the wires are long enough. You can always drill a hole on the side of the glovebox but I would like to keep my car as close to factory or do at least reversible modifications.

The second one: if it's not possible to put it in the glovebox, and the module is stuck between the console and the box, if it's heating up can't it burn or damage the cables behind the HU and cause a short-circuit or fire? My trust is quite low towards these aftermarket electronic modules and if it's well hidden, causing damage I might not discover it until it's too late.

Thanks for the replies in advance!
Old 09-07-2020, 06:57 PM

After some additional thinking and research I am getting closer to understand the full picture. I have 2 question marks floating in front of my eyes now.

If the module is hidden between the main console and the glovebox as shown on the video, the glovebox must be removed every time when you want to update the module (of course wiring out the usb is an other solution). As I understand cadetdrivr removed a small plastic from the end of the glovebox to enable wiring into it and the module is easily accessible, I'm just wondering if the W204 has the same option, or if the wires are long enough. You can always drill a hole on the side of the glovebox but I would like to keep my car as close to factory or do at least reversible modifications.

The second one: if it's not possible to put it in the glovebox, and the module is stuck between the console and the box, if it's heating up can't it burn or damage the cables behind the HU and cause a short-circuit or fire? My trust is quite low towards these aftermarket electronic modules and if it's well hidden, causing damage I might not discover it until it's too late.

I wouldn't route the unit how the video shows behind the glove box. I would put it in the glove box (like cadetdrivr) or, under the glove box, in between the bottom tray (three screws). This would be a great method to have easy access and the unit would still be hidden away. I am hoping that my 2010 W212 glove box has that same cutout like cadetdrivr's W212R glove box. I hardly use it anyways so it would be perfect to access. If I can't get it in the glove box, then I will place the unit under the glove box and on top of that bottom piece with three screws.

Hopefully yours has a glove box opening as well.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C300

i have a W204 and mounted mine inside the glove box. Have had an issue once or twice when it was close to 100° out. It does take up pretty much the entire top shelf though. You could mount it below the glove box but I think inside the glove box is the best way to go to access the unit unless you connect usb cables to the unit so you can access it remotely
Old 09-08-2020, 02:05 AM

'10 W204 C300
Originally Posted by nycsr20
i have a W204 and mounted mine inside the glove box. Have had an issue once or twice when it was close to 100° out. It does take up pretty much the entire top shelf though. You could mount it below the glove box but I think inside the glove box is the best way to go to access the unit unless you connect usb cables to the unit so you can access it remotely
Thank you both! Yesterday I pulled out the glovebox just to see how does it fit and I ended up with the idea of removing the multimedia connector on the top of the glovebox, which gives me a nice big hole to fit all the cables in. Yeah same for me, I think it's a better idea to keep the box easily accessible. Also as S550e mentioned, I barely even open the glovebox, since the divider makes it unusable for storage except the for car's documentation, so it seems like a perfect place for the box.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 c63 estate
got a quick one to add her for mounting places.

note: this is a RHD W204 so your mileage may vary

I ordered 1 extension fakra video cable for mine and mounted it under the aluminum plate at the end of the passenger footwell, there was a gap of maybe 25mm between it and the firewall so I put some foam tape on it and ran the cables under the carpets to it. works nicely and a 2 min job with no tools if I need to look at it, and only 4 bolts if I need to remove it
Old 09-09-2020, 01:03 PM
wsc

BMW E46
Originally Posted by Aussiejase
got a quick one to add her for mounting places.

note: this is a RHD W204 so your mileage may vary

I ordered 1 extension fakra video cable for mine and mounted it under the aluminum plate at the end of the passenger footwell, there was a gap of maybe 25mm between it and the firewall so I put some foam tape on it and ran the cables under the carpets to it. works nicely and a 2 min job with no tools if I need to look at it, and only 4 bolts if I need to remove it
Hi - could you share pics? And a link to an extension fakra?

And just got my W204 C63 so digging into this topic! Had some questions after reading through the entire thread!:
1) Where does the CPU/RAM juice sit running the carplay? Is it on the iPhone itself, and then it just outputs it to the display?
2) Does the Android Auto work smoothly like CarPlay?
3) "3) Wire the USB extension cable as desired. I did not do this since I have access in the glove box, but you will want this cable installed for firmware updates, wired CarPlay, or wired Android Auto if the unit is mounted in an inaccessible location." -> can you use the existing USB port in the car? I assume not?
4) Do I need to buy anything extra for RHD (UK model) car?

5) I do not have OEM reverse camera. If I buy a third party one, that will only work via the new unit right? As opposed to NTG system. Will it automatically go to reverse camera regardless of where I am (e.g. CarPlay or using the native system)?
6) Where is the cheapest place to get the new models? I have a W204 NGT 4.5 MY14 (2013 production) and I am in the UK so if you see anywhere cheaper would be appreciated.
I see here:
a) £152 (but delivered from China so subject to customs): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001310599721.html from "professional car tools" store
b) £176 (but delivered from China so subject to customs): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000804978103.html from "carsara" store
c) £206 (delivered from Czech Republic so ~5 days, and no customs as within EU): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000656449555.html from "RoadTop CarPlay" store
Are these all the same?
7) What are people's thoughts on this vs the 10.25" Android screens (which have Carplay built in now)? I know they are about ~£350-400 so double the money.

Sorry for the millions questions!
Old 09-09-2020, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by wsc
1) Where does the CPU/RAM juice sit running the carplay? Is it on the iPhone itself, and then it just outputs it to the display?

3) -> can you use the existing USB port in the car? I assume not?
1) Yup, on the phone. So phones with newer operating systems are running more advanced versions of CarPlay and/or Android Auto.

3) Nope, unless you can figure out how to patch into it.

Last edited by cadetdrivr; 09-09-2020 at 05:25 PM.
wsc (09-09-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 S212 E63 AMG
I had a local car audio shop install my RoadTop unit yesterday (I don't know anything about car audio install and wanted to get it done right). Overall the box works well, with the caveats that have been discussed earlier in this thread (have to use the scroll wheel for everything, no steering wheel controls for next/previous track, etc.) I have a 2014 E63S AMG wagon with the B&O sound package for reference. There are two questions that I was hoping someone might be able to help me answer, though:

1. My backup camera doesn't seem to work when in CarPlay. I am planning to take the car back to the shop and have them look at this to try to get it fixed. When I am in CarPlay mode and put the car into reverse, nothing changes on the screen, it just continues to show the CarPlay screen. When I go into the settings of the CarPlay box and click the Camera icon, I get a black screen that says "No Signal". When I exit out of the CarPlay box and am back in normal NTG mode, the rear view camera and 360 camera work as expected when shifting into reverse. Has anyone else run into this issue/is this just a settings issue? The tech from the shop told me that it was working when they installed the box (I forgot to test that it worked before I drove off unfortunately) so I don't think the issue is as simple as they forgot to plug it in, but just wondering if anyone has any thoughts here.

2. The shop that installed the CarPlay box for me had to run an Aux cable from the CarPlay box to the center console, plugged in via the AMI adapter. I was under the impression that you just needed to have Aux enabled before install (which I did, could see it clearly in the source menu), but that the audio would go directly from the box to the head unit without an actual Aux cable needing to be run. I unplugged the Aux cable while music was playing in CarPlay mode and the sound stopped (and came back when I plugged it in), so clearly the sound is coming in through the Aux input. Am I just wrong and I need the Aux cable in order to get sound? The reason I ask is that I would prefer not to have an aux cable sticking out of my center console if possible, but obviously will keep it as is if that's the only way to get sound from the CarPlay box to the head unit.

Finally, just want to say thank you to cadetdrivr and all of the other helpful posters on this thread - this is my first MB and I'm very grateful for all of the good info here.
907igor (09-22-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by shapiros
There are two questions that I was hoping someone might be able to help me answer....
1) Contact RoadTop for updated MCU and main software updates. Note that the 360 camera apparently does not work as well as the single rear camera and you'll see some posts in this thread talking about that. Also make sure that the OEM camera system is selected in the RoadTop settings.

2) Also unplug the AMI adapter and try again. If that does not work, leave the AMI connecter detached and verify AUX is enabled in the Engineering Menu (see post #2 of this thread).
Old 09-09-2020, 07:51 PM

2014 S212 E63 AMG
1) Contact RoadTop for updated MCU and main software updates. Note that the 360 camera apparently does not work as well as the single rear camera and you'll see some posts in this thread talking about that. Also make sure that the OEM camera system is selected in the RoadTop settings.

2) Also unplug the AMI adapter and try again. If that does not work, leave the AMI connecter detached and verify AUX is enabled in the Engineering Menu (see post #2 of this thread).
Awesome, thanks! #2 worked perfectly.

On your answer to #1, I reached out to Road Top, but is the Benz2 20.7.16 the latest firmware? If so, that's newer than what I have. Do you just load it on to a flash drive, plug it in, and hit update?
Old 09-09-2020, 08:12 PM

On your answer to #1, I reached out to Road Top, but is the Benz2 20.7.16 the latest firmware? If so, that's newer than what I have. Do you just load it on to a flash drive, plug it in, and hit update?
Yes, the firmware is very easy to update via flash drive just like you described.

But note: there are TWO parts of the firmware and they can be updated independently. The "main software" (operating system and apps) and the MCU software. Essentially, the MCU is the low-level bridge that interfaces with the the car and it's an MCU update that helps with the cameras.

Last edited by cadetdrivr; 09-09-2020 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:34 PM

2014 S212 E63 AMG
Yes, the firmware is very easy to update via flash drive just like you described.

But note: there are TWO parts of the firmware and they can be updated independently. The "main software" (operating system and apps) and the MCU software. Essentially, the MCU is the low-level bridge that interfaces with the the car and it's an MCU update that helps with the cameras.
Do you have a link to the latest main firmware? I grabbed the updated MCU file a few pages back. This is what I have currently according to the box:

SDK version: 25.0.0.5.6.0.0.0
CUST version: v2.1.0.6.lt.m2
MCU version: 20.4.30.17
HW version: BENZ2
Old 09-09-2020, 08:40 PM

Do you have a link to the latest main firmware? I grabbed the updated MCU file a few pages back. This is what I have currently according to the box:

SDK version: 25.0.0.5.6.0.0.0
CUST version: v2.1.0.6.lt.m2
MCU version: 20.4.30.17
HW version: BENZ2
That's the same one I'm running.

If the the combination of CUST and MCU do not help your setup and also after verifying that the RoadTop setup menu is set to use the MB OEM camera, then follow up with RoadTop.

It also appears that their software releases are not linear or cumulative so the 'latest' version that fixes one user's specific issue may break other things. I'd suggest being very specific with any issues you have and load the software they give you.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:06 AM
wsc

BMW E46
1) Yup, on the phone. So phones with newer operating systems are running more advanced versions of CarPlay and/or Android Auto.

3) Nope, unless you can figure out how to patch into it.
Thanks, any chance you have summer guidance on my Question #6? 😃
Do different manufacturers firmware to your work?
Old 09-10-2020, 03:27 AM

2012 c63 estate
Hi - could you share pics? And a link to an extension fakra?

will take some pics when I get some days off, the extension fakra was just off ali express but took 3 months to get so would look elsewhere

And just got my W204 C63 so digging into this topic! Had some questions after reading through the entire thread!:

most of the gruntwork has been done on the phone

2) Does the Android Auto work smoothly like CarPlay?

don't know, haven't tested with an andriod

3) "3) Wire the USB extension cable as desired. I did not do this since I have access in the glove box, but you will want this cable installed for firmware updates, wired CarPlay, or wired Android Auto if the unit is mounted in an inaccessible location." -> can you use the existing USB port in the car? I assume not?

I removed the fakra style USB plug from the head unit, plugged an adaptor in and connected it to the joyeauto that way, means that I can connect the phone or update USBs via the usb in the armrest

4) Do I need to buy anything extra for RHD (UK model) car?

it will all work without buying extras, but I was happy to spend 20 bucks more to make it more hidden/factory looking

5) I do not have OEM reverse camera. If I buy a third party one, that will only work via the new unit right? As opposed to NTG system. Will it automatically go to reverse camera regardless of where I am (e.g. CarPlay or using the native system)?

supposedly yes, I haven't tried a non oem camera so can't comment

6) Where is the cheapest place to get the new models? I have a W204 NGT 4.5 MY14 (2013 production) and I am in the UK so if you see anywhere cheaper would be appreciated.
I see here:
a) £152 (but delivered from China so subject to customs): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001310599721.html from "professional car tools" store
b) £176 (but delivered from China so subject to customs): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000804978103.html from "carsara" store
c) £206 (delivered from Czech Republic so ~5 days, and no customs as within EU): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000656449555.html from "RoadTop CarPlay" store
Are these all the same?
7) What are people's thoughts on this vs the 10.25" Android screens (which have Carplay built in now)? I know they are about ~£350-400 so double the money.

I didn't look at this approach, I wanted to be able to go back to dead stock without any issues if I needed to

Sorry for the millions questions!

no worries
Old 09-10-2020, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by wsc
Thanks, any chance you have summer guidance on my Question #6? 😃
Do different manufacturers firmware to your work?
I don't know the cheapest but it's a trade off between potentially little support or no support. I suspect that none of these resellers are the source manufacturer of the units.

And, yes, the firmwares are reseller specific and require a code.
wsc (09-12-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Joyeauto Wireless CarPlay for NTG4.5/4.7