2010 E350 rain sensing wipers are not stopping

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 10:33 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2010 e350 Luxury p2
2010 E350 rain sensing wipers are not stopping

Hi Everyone,
The rain sensing wipers on my vehicle are not stopping to work when in auto mode (the first two stages on the stalk) and i am having to keep it at 0 to keep it from working. This issue started one morning and has been going on since then. It has been a few months and there is no obstruction around the sensor area (i believe it is around rearview mirror) and the windshield is clean. Is there anyone out there with a similar issue? If it is the sensor, is there a manual that shows how to change it out and what would be the part number? Is there any programming/calibration involved with changing out the sensor?
Old 09-13-2019, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 884 Likes on 634 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by bachree
Hi Everyone,
The rain sensing wipers on my vehicle are not stopping to work when in auto mode (the first two stages on the stalk) and i am having to keep it at 0 to keep it from working. This issue started one morning and has been going on since then. It has been a few months and there is no obstruction around the sensor area (i believe it is around rearview mirror) and the windshield is clean. Is there anyone out there with a similar issue? If it is the sensor, is there a manual that shows how to change it out and what would be the part number? Is there any programming/calibration involved with changing out the sensor?
Your windshield is clean but make sure that the small rectangular shaped window in the black upper strip of the windshield does not have any kind of film on it.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:41 PM

2010 e350 Luxury p2
Originally Posted by Arrie
Your windshield is clean but make sure that the small rectangular shaped window in the black upper strip of the windshield does not have any kind of film on it.
That box is checked
Old 09-13-2019, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 884 Likes on 634 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
That box is checked
Then, take the plastic cowl off and see that the sensor is in place correctly.

In my car the cowl comes off just prying it down. I need to move my mirror a little bit but it comes off easily. Then you can see the rain sensor and check it is in place correctly. If it is then the problem is either the sensor went bad or the control module went bad. If sensor issue you may need to have the windshield replaced as some sensors on cars come with windshield and cannot be replaced without new glass. But I'm not sure about this on your car.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:49 AM

2010 e350 Luxury p2

This is where the sensor is at. It doesn't look like it's built in to the windshield. I also checked the fuses 10-13 and 17. They're intact.
Old 09-14-2019, 01:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Best to have someone pull fault codes may simply need to be re-initiated, if steadfast in DIY part replacement, current # is 2049014504. Any problems after install may need startup, line 8 in attachment.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
light sensor.pdf (100.4 KB, 206 views)

Last edited by konigstiger; 09-14-2019 at 01:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (09-10-2022)
Old 11-15-2019, 01:23 PM

2010 e350 Luxury p2
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Best to have someone pull fault codes may simply need to be re-initiated, if steadfast in DIY part replacement, current # is 2049014504. Any problems after install may need startup, line 8 in attachment.
Thanks a lot for the help.

I've purchased the 4504 part number and installed it without problems the old part is 2048708826. After installation the rain sensing wipers worked properly but "autolamp function inoperative" error showed up and auto headlights stopped working and always stayed on. I tried the procedure in

Without success. At the end I installed my old part back and regained auto lamp function and lost the auto wipers back.

Now trying to figure out what the problem is. My theory is that the part number 4504 may not be the correct part for cars equipped with adaptive high beam headlights (P2 package)

What is your opinion?

Trending Topics

Old 11-15-2019, 03:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Delete.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto

New part # matches old part, in accordance with sheet posted above, have someone perform initial startup using MB Xentry (diagnostics).

Last edited by konigstiger; 11-15-2019 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-08-2022, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e350
I have this exact same issue. How did you fix it?
Old 02-08-2022, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e350
Thanks a lot for the help.

I've purchased the 4504 part number and installed it without problems the old part is 2048708826. After installation the rain sensing wipers worked properly but "autolamp function inoperative" error showed up and auto headlights stopped working and always stayed on. I tried the procedure in

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W-yMufA8VhQ

Without success. At the end I installed my old part back and regained auto lamp function and lost the auto wipers back.

Now trying to figure out what the problem is. My theory is that the part number 4504 may not be the correct part for cars equipped with adaptive high beam headlights (P2 package)

What is your opinion?
i have this exact same issue. How did you fix it
Old 02-08-2022, 05:42 PM

2010 e350 Luxury p2
Originally Posted by omarmit
i have this exact same issue. How did you fix it
Never bothered to fix it since the car is driven less than 3000 miles a year. Living without auto wipers. My next step would be to install the part that I have purchased and take it to an independent mercedes mechanic to ask if it is a part that needs to be paired to the car to function properly.
Old 02-10-2022, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,334 Likes on 2,218 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
Arrow easy does it...

Hi Everyone,
For what it's worth this sensor is built with unsoldered pins that can simply be repaired under 30mn with a solder iron.
No need fancy programming, an iCarSoft scanner will come in handy to read codes.
👍

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 02-10-2022 at 09:58 PM.
Old 09-09-2022, 10:38 PM

2010 e350 Luxury p2
Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver
For what it's worth this sensor is built with unsoldered pins that can simply be repaired under 30mn with a solder iron.
No need fancy programming, an iCarSoft scanner will come in handy to read codes.
👍
I revisited this issue and installed the new sensor as described in my previous message. I do have an icarsoft mb V3.0 reader. Are you speaking based on specific experience or you just made an assumption about reading the codes? I can't find any module relevant to this issue going through the icarsoft menus.
Old 09-09-2022, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I revisited this issue and installed the new sensor as described in my previous message. I do have an icarsoft mb V3.0 reader.
Are you speaking based on specific experience or you just made an assumption about reading the codes? I can't find any module relevant to this issue going through the icarsoft menus.
A while back I decided to eliminate glitches by class type instead of faults one by one.

I've delt with this particular module and neighbooring humidity sensor and rear view mirror strictly on a hardware basis.

If your scanner is not showing this module as standalone, have a look under the OCP for data.

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 09-09-2022 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-10-2022, 12:46 AM

2010 e350 Luxury p2
A while back I decided to eliminate glitches by class type instead of faults one by one.

I've delt with this particular module and neighbooring humidity sensor and rear view mirror strictly on a hardware basis.

If your scanner is not showing this module as standalone, have a look under the OCP for data.
I was able to find it under "Driver - side SAM - Front Signal Acquisition And Actuation module(N10/1)" with the following error: "The light Sensor Has A Malfunction. Calibration is Missing".

Error comes back instantly if I attempt to remove it. There is no calibration option for it but while playing around with other menus "autolamp function inoperative" error on dashboard disappeared and now the windshield is not continuously working on auto mode. I have splashed water on it while stationary and it is not wiping...

Spraying water from windshield wash nozzles triggers the wiping action. We will see what is next. I may live with it if the dashboard error does not come back, auto lamps work and then get the calibration done next time I visit the shop which is has been only once a year in a long time knock on wood...
Old 09-10-2022, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Rain & Daylight sensor... #2

I was able to find it under "Driver - side SAM - Front Signal Acquisition And Actuation module(N10/1)" with the following error: "The light Sensor Has A Malfunction. Calibration is Missing".

Error comes back instantly if I attempt to remove it. There is no calibration option for it but while playing around with other menus "autolamp function inoperative" error on dashboard disappeared and now the windshield is not continuously working on auto mode. I have splashed water on it while stationary and it is not wiping...

Spraying water from windshield wash nozzles triggers the wiping action. We will see what is next. I may live with it if the dashboard error does not come back, auto lamps work and then get the calibration done next time I visit the shop which is has been only once a year in a long time knock on wood...
​​​​​​You're saying you replaced the rain sensor and cleared related F-SAM code but wipers still don't sense auto rain.
Unlike your HL that work properly with same daylight sensor.

This split results are a bit strange... Try to Reboot the car to give F-SAM a chance to behave...
Old 09-10-2022, 01:54 AM

2010 e350 Luxury p2
​​​​​​You're saying you replaced the rain sensor and cleared related F-SAM code but wipers still don't sense auto rain.
Unlike your HL that work properly with same daylight sensor.

This split results are a bit strange... Try to Reboot the car to give F-SAM a chance to behave...
Exactly. The same error popped back up after clearing it and for some reason the behavior of the car changed. I only drove it a quarter mile afterwards so I agree it may need some time.

I will leave it alone for a week and drive it as is. Hopefully I get a chance to encounter rain and/or have an excuse to drive it at night.

Thanks for the quick response!
Old 09-12-2022, 09:26 PM

2010 e350 Luxury p2
Happy Ending!!

I purchased the following device for $130 which allowed me to define the variant coding of the newly installed light sensor. Trickiest part was to select the right variant among all the options but luckily I got it down in the first try (maybe I did wrong but everything works as expected)

Amazon Amazon

I tried icarsoft mb 3.0 Before this device which had pretty much 0 coding capabilities compared to this. Maybe it is capable for the main components such as engine, transmission. Etc but embarrassingly weak compared to the Launch device that I linked when it comes to the ancillary components.

Launch device has so many options to play with that I will probably spend hours on and possibly break something on the car in the process...

Bonus: the only other error in the car was about 0 calibration of my xenon lights that I replaced 4 years ago due to a failure and the launch device allowed me to check that box as well...

Also: it creates an email report such as following with a touch of a button

http://aitus.golo365.com/Home/Report...type/D/l/en-us

Last edited by bachree; 09-12-2022 at 09:40 PM.
CaliBenzDriver (09-12-2022)