Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
2014 E350 4M Diamond Silver
Steering vibrates when braking

Hello,
My steering wheels vibrates mildly when braking and the SA at the dealership says I need rotors and pads that needed to change in the front and rear, as they are rusted (both front and rear).
Vehicle is 2014 with little over 80k miles on it currently. Never saw snow in past 3 years at least.
Is that common?

Quoted: ~800 for front and ~600 for rear. Any other alternatives? I can request them to just do the labor and I buy the parts or shall I check an Indy mechanic for the whole?

Had other issues as well:
1. I've replaced 3 aux batteries over the past 1.5 years and ECO function doesn't come up yet. Main battery was shown weak an year ago and I didn't replace it yet and they never complained about it even. Frankly I was waiting for the 150$ coupons for replacing the battery. Does Eco Start/Stop rely on main battery or the Aux battery?
2. Steering wheel turning to left/right lock position, it vibrates - under ELW they are covering it and the part is back ordered in Germany they said.

Thanks in Advance.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:03 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 S212
Typically, steering wheel vibration while braking means a warped rotor. depending on ware, the rotors can be cut to flat again but you do need to have some meat on them to do that or else they may be too thin and that will impact the brake force and breaking overall. If you are handy, you may want to look in this forum or youtube for a "how to" video and order the parts yourself. That should save you a few bucks. An indy would probably save you some on the labor considering the typically lower rates.
As for the rust, it is not only due to snow but can be high humidity as well. However, if you do have the same breaks for 80k miles on the car it sounds like it is a good time to change them.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Check your email.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by konigstiger
Check your email.
got it, sent those topic numbers to my SA, as I haven't picked my vehicle yet.

However, I have another question. Will that be valid on the aftermarket ones that was put on by the previous owner? I believe the rear rotors and may be pads were replaced by my previous owner before 42k miles on it.
I have to check the carfax or request that information for my service adviser when they were done last time.
Old 10-30-2019, 05:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,449 Likes on 2,605 Posts
2014 - W212.065 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
Originally Posted by raja777m
Had other issues as well:
1. I've replaced 3 aux batteries over the past 1.5 years and ECO function doesn't come up yet. Main battery was shown weak an year ago and I didn't replace it yet and they never complained about it even. Frankly I was waiting for the 150$ coupons for replacing the battery. Does Eco Start/Stop rely on main battery or the Aux battery?

Thanks in Advance.
Logic says that a weak main battery will effect eco start/stop too, as the weak battery need to crank the engine when its time to move. If the computer decided that main battery is not up to that task, it may now allow eco
start-stop mode to work. Attached the Eco-SS guide. While it does not specifically write weak main battery issue, it does mentioned about power consumption being measured and part of the overall consideration to allow
Eco-SS to proceed or not. The negative post battery cable has the smart battery chip and the alternator is also interconnected ( based on my E400 ) to all this smart charging thingy. The alternator would know by voltage drop if a main battery is not really healthy, all it need to do is a few seconds of NIL output and study the voltage dip. Yes, I am speculating.

AUX battery only handle other loads, but not engine cranking.

You replaced 3 AUX battery in 1.5 years ? On what grounds ? I mean : did u get the AUX battery alarm ..or workshop assumed the eco start-stop did not work simply due to the AUX battery ?

The overalll condition you mentioned and if gets worse, maybe an alternator weakening its output in progress causing deficit often when DC load is at the maximum.
Why dont you test with all loads, aircond + all electrical heaters + headlights at high beam and all other loads running, while at idle and use the dashboard voltage and amps meter
to see what is the reading ? If its 12.8V all the time and no higher that is a bad sign. Worn out carbon brush of alternator can effect charging too.

Next thing u may want to check is a worn out relay contact for AUX battery, which will effect charging of AUX battery too.

Good luck troubleshooting...
Attached Files
Old 10-30-2019, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 710 Likes on 527 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
I would be greatful the ECO does not come one....
Hate that thing...so part of process when starting car to hit green ECO button after revs come up.

ECO stinks and argggggggggg I hate it.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Update:
SA offered me to get the parts on my own, if they are OEM, they’ll honor 2-year warranty and provided me part numbers.

to buy the parts from them including labor of 4 hours at 143$+ taxes.
$730- front
$595- rear

Old 10-30-2019, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by S-Prihadi
Logic says that a weak main battery will effect eco start/stop too, as the weak battery need to crank the engine when its time to move.
Past 4 Vehicle Multi-point inspection says the battery is fine.
If the computer decided that main battery is not up to that task, it may now allow eco
start-stop mode to work. Attached the Eco-SS guide. While it does not specifically write weak main battery issue, it does mentioned about power consumption being measured and part of the overall consideration to allow
Eco-SS to proceed or not. The negative post battery cable has the smart battery chip and the alternator is also interconnected ( based on my E400 ) to all this smart charging thingy. The alternator would know by voltage drop if a main battery is not really healthy, all it need to do is a few seconds of NIL output and study the voltage dip. Yes, I am speculating.

AUX battery only handle other loads, but not engine cranking.
Hopefully they will check it in my next visit (next week, they are waiting for a couple of parts to be shipped to them - shock absorbers and some other part that is backordered).

You replaced 3 AUX battery in 1.5 years ? On what grounds ? I mean : did u get the AUX battery alarm ..or workshop assumed the eco start-stop did not work simply due to the AUX battery ?
Just got it tested at auto parts store and they say the battery is dead and they replaced it (twice so far). I went there assuming Aux battery takes care of Eco SS feature.

The overalll condition you mentioned and if gets worse, maybe an alternator weakening its output in progress causing deficit often when DC load is at the maximum.
Why dont you test with all loads, aircond + all electrical heaters + headlights at high beam and all other loads running, while at idle and use the dashboard voltage and amps meter
to see what is the reading ? If its 12.8V all the time and no higher that is a bad sign. Worn out carbon brush of alternator can effect charging too.
This I need to pay Diag fee I believe
Next thing u may want to check is a worn out relay contact for AUX battery, which will effect charging of AUX battery too.

Good luck troubleshooting...